Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Dorsett opens a spot for JoJo

Brett Snyder

3 minutes ago, Brett Snyder said:

I've thought since Ballard took over that Dorsett could be a gonner, but you have to replace him. Think the trade talks are because of Jo Jo's emergence? Sure does help I think

I think you are right, a big part of wanting to trade Dorsett to open a roster spot. That'd leave TY, Moncrief, Rodgers, and Aiken with room for Natson or maybe Bug Howard. 

Sort of unrelated, but I'd expect Quan Bray to be out of a job this year. Can't see where he fits in with that group. 

5 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I think you are right, a big part of wanting to trade Dorsett to open a roster spot. That'd leave TY, Moncrief, Rodgers, and Aiken with room for Natson or maybe Bug Howard. 

Sort of unrelated, but I'd expect Quan Bray to be out of a job this year. Can't see where he fits in with that group. 

Quan would need to kill it to keep his job I think. The way I see it, Nelson can return, and has shown to be a good receiver. Quan has only shown us 1 of those.

I think Dorsett is expendable due to Kamar Aiken and Chester Rogers being better and more well rounded receivers than him.   They also have more size than him.  And to complicate matters more you have JoJo Natson who is just as fast as, and more agile than Dorsett.  Natson is also a better route runner and receiver than Dorsett.  To top it all off he is able to do what Dorsett can't do and that is Special Teams.  He does all the things we were expecting Dorsett to be able to do when he was drafted.   And what I really love about "Ant Man" (As Banner calls him) is he has this cocky competitive swagger about him.  He carries himself like he knows he's great.  I like having people like that in my locker room.  And it gets even deepr when you consider all the size you get by retaining a guy like Bug Howard.   Dorsett doesn't have a whole lot to hang is hat on in this situation.

20 minutes ago, Brett Snyder said:

Quan would need to kill it to keep his job I think. The way I see it, Nelson can return, and has shown to be a good receiver. Quan has only shown us 1 of those.

I'm more of a fan of Nelson than Howard... That being said, I have heard that colts want to get bigger at receiver, so it wouldn't surprise me if they kept Howard (him being 6-6). 

7 hours ago, Brett Snyder said:

I've thought since Ballard took over that Dorsett could be a gonner, but you have to replace him. Think the trade talks are because of Jo Jo's emergence? Sure does help I think

Highly doubt it, lol he'll likely not see significant time, Natsons best shot is on Special Teams.

Let Jojo get some reps against their first team defense and see how he does. Have to see these guys ceilings because Dorsett isn't separating himself nor is Kamar Aiken. Chester Rodgers missing should be even more of a reason he gets reps. Put this kid all over the offense and see what he can do. 

No. Give him one more year. And I'd tell him. "Hey Phillip look here man. You either live up to the hype this year or you're gone". But yeah. He's looking like a total bust, but we need to give him one more season to see if he can be the superstar he's supposed to be. We can keep Natson too, and IMO Rogers and Natson will be our 3rd and 4th WR's. They may even split time as the number 3. JoJo Natson has a whole lotta potential. This years Tyreek Hill ??? LOL. Seriously. The kid has the potential to be a really good wide out, KR/PR, and an all around offensive weapon. If he keeps balling out into the season I wanna see some trickery with Natson. Use him in a variety of ways.

Hilton

Moncrief

Rogers

Natson

Aiken

Dorsett

That's my guess by the middle of the year when the dust is settling and we get an idea of what kinda year everyone is having.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Natson would be very useful in the offense. Like a Cole Beasley

Unfortunately natson would be useful like cole Beasley if he played for the boys..downside is he plays for the colts who can't scheme anyone open unless luck is running to lengthen the play 

49 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

And I'd tell him. "Hey Phillip look here man. You either live up to the hype this year or you're gone". But yeah. He's looking like a total bust, but we need to give him one more season to see if he can be the superstar he's supposed to be

Originally, before strolling into this thread, I was prepared to release him. However, after reading what you wrote, your advice is sound. I just don't like the idea of parting ways with a 1st round 2015 draft pick as a failure. 

I probably became enamored with his speed & figured he'd shine by now. You've convinced me. 1 more yr to set the INDY world on fire seems appropriate. Now or never kid. Good luck son. 

"The kid has the potential to be a really good wide out, KR/PR"

Usually, a 1st round pick drafted as WR depth & placed on special teams beyond their rookie campaign means they are bad & the coaches are giving you a desperation role before they cut you. 

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

Or just keep 6 WRs and use Natson as the WR/KR

If we do keep natson on the final 53, i too think we need to keep 6 wr.

but i'd also like to keep 4 rb.  But with the OL, LB, and CB uncertainty, something has to give. Then theres the depth of talent on the DL, and needing an extra QB short-term (hopefully short-term)

I'm glad i'm not making final cuts.  But for some reason, i trust in Ballard. But some good players will be cut.  Hopefully we can save the ones we want to the PS.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Originally, before strolling into this thread, I was prepared to release him. However, after reading what you wrote, your advice is sound. I just don't like the idea of parting ways with a 1st round 2015 draft pick as a failure. 

I probably became enamored with his speed & figured he'd shine by now. You've convinced me. 1 more yr to set the INDY world on fire seems appropriate. Now or never kid. Good luck son. 

And relatively cheap (rookie contract) plus little current trade value.

Honestly if we are going to trade Dorsett away I'd want to do it for some defensive improvement somewhere.  

As disappointing at Dorsett has been I'm not sure that Natson is at his level yet as a receiver.  Natson hasn't seen a lot of work against the 1's.  

Just joined the Colts page. Former Region Rat living in Fla near Miami you think Colts got problems people down here are freaking out....Cutler lol!

I digress we really got some mountains to cross we have done it before this Ballard guy seems ok 1st year, hope he has eyes on players that will be cut here from other teams shortly might be a wind fall.

Get'er done Blue

Natson certainly looks very good, but that is only based on two pre season games, a lot of which was against 2nd/3rd string defences.

That being said, we need to evaluate Dorsett without the 1st round draft pick hanging over his head.  If he were a later round pick would we be pushing for him to retain his spot?  I doubt it.  We have seen the flashes of talent he has, but too few and far between when we have other, more versatile options.

If we can get a solid defensive player (ideally ILB) as a trade for Dorsett, I would take that right now.

19 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

With how fragile Moncrief is, I wouldn't mind Ballard keeping 6 WRs, which would be Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers, Aiken, Natson, and Howard. (I would love a trade of Dorsett if the value is worth doing so)

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd like to see what else Fred brown has. Seems like he might have some talent too

I like Brown too 6'1 200lbs and a 4.4 forty. You can't teach that.  I wish we'd find some guys who can throw the ball our QB situation is ridiculous. I think we keep 5 WR's and Freddy starts on the PS this season. Can't see more than one UDFA WR making the 53 man. I think the Flea gets the nod on ST's play. 

The Dorsett and filler for Ragland trade is still buzzing. I would not mind seeing that happen. I hope Ballard gets something for him. Dorsett's days appear to be numbered in Indy. 

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I like Brown too 6'1 200lbs and a 4.4 forty. You can't teach that.  I wish we'd find some guys who can throw the ball our QB situation is ridiculous. I think we keep 5 WR's and Freddy starts on the PS this season. Can't see more than one UDFA WR making the 53 man. I think the Flea gets the nod on ST's play. 

The Dorsett and filler for Ragland trade is still buzzing. I would not mind seeing that happen. I hope Ballard gets something for him. Dorsett's days appear to be numbered in Indy. 

Ragland I think would bring some leadership.    People say he can't cover but he's a good couple steps faster than Morrison so it can't be too darn bad I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly if we are going to trade Dorsett away I'd want to do it for some defensive improvement somewhere.  

As disappointing at Dorsett has been I'm not sure that Natson is at his level yet as a receiver.  Natson hasn't seen a lot of work against the 1's.  

He ha more potential than Dorsett in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He ha more potential than Dorsett in my opinion.

Do you even know that Natson is 5'7" and 150 pounds?

Do you think there are a lot of those guys in the NFL right now?       I think the count would be right around ZERO.

People here thought of Dorsett as small because he's 5'10" and 185.   

I think you should consider re-thinking that viewpoint......      there's no explanation for it.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you even know that Natson is 5'7" and 150 pounds?

Do you think there are a lot of those guys in the NFL right now?       I think the count would be right around ZERO.

People here thought of Dorsett as small because he's 5'10" and 185.   

I think you should consider re-thinking that viewpoint......      there's no explanation for it.

So what doesn't mean he couldn't play.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

So what doesn't mean he couldn't play.

It means when you're that small,  your margin of error and making the team is paper thin....

And he had value as a returner,  right up until he had three fumbles in game 4 of the pre-season.

That finsihed him.      Maybe he's on the 53 next year.     But I'm good with him on the PS.      Doesn't mean he doesn't have a future with the Colts...