Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What kind of coach do you need to be to be successful?

CR91

So if you have watched Pagano's press conferences lately, you'll notice he's holding players accountable a lot more and less coach speech. Imo there are three type of coaches. The rah rah players coach type, the silent strength type, and the hard nose type. The rah rah guy ala Pete Carroll only works if players actually buy into what you're selling. The quiet strength ala Tony dungy only works if you hold players accountable otherwise they will just walk all over you. A hard nose coach ala BB can get away with being hard nose because you know you're gonna win, but if you don't win then you're just a tyrant. 

A coach who surrounds himself with the best ensemble of coaches that are very strong in Xs and Os, and play calling.

Or a coach who gets lucky to have a HOF QB that his margin of error is high enough that he can endure things going wrong enough times. The more trump cards, the better his odds are.

That Dungy description is a little more accurate lol! But even that might be a little to much credit. He didn't even draft Peyton. 

Bill is whatever you'd call a hardnosed coach who doesn't yell. He's a miserable coach. I don't know what it is about a miserable coach but they somehow motivate players. 

I don't know what it takes.. when I think of good (recent) coaches I think of:

Bill Belichick

Jim Harbaugh

Bruce Arians 

Andy Reid

so yeah.. whatever they have. IMO there aren't a lot of good coaches in the NFL which makes it so easy for one to dominate. Teams don't seem to give these guys a long enough to try.. after 3 seasons your out it seems. Well come to think of it that's all of America.. we want the best of the best and we want it now! Or we'll kick you to the curb and find someone else.

There are three things I would say are important to have in a coach. I think you will find these things in each type of (successful) coach regardless if they are like Carroll, Dungy, or Belichick.

- Be authentic

- Clear vision

- Focus on the small

People have to be who they are. They can't fake it for long because the mask eventually comes off. Pete couldn't win if he tried to act like Belichick and vice versa.

I also think the great coaches have a clear vision and focus on the small stuff.

Saban = the process, Belichick = do your job, Dungy = do what we do, Carroll = always compete, etc.

Also, their message is delivered consistency. I think they all focus on doing the little things each day but deliver the message in an authentic way.

I think the question should have been framed "with the same talent available, what would it take to make a successful coach?". That way, the focus is on coaching, all other things considered equal, IMO.

Being a leader among grown men is different than leading boys in college, that is also a forgotten criteria of being an NFL head coach. 

9 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

That Dungy description is a little more accurate lol! But even that might be a little to much credit. He didn't even draft Peyton. 

Bill is whatever you'd call a hardnosed coach who doesn't yell. He's a miserable coach. I don't know what it is about a miserable coach but they somehow motivate players. 

8 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

One that wears a hoodie.. with cut off sleeves.. and everyone thinks is bats*it crazy..

That is what Belichick shows the media. He is not that way with his team in private.

I think that in Bill's case, being the GM and personally picking and choosing players also helps with the whole accountability thing. Players know that his standards are the end all be all. If he feels a player is expendable, he can  trade them or cut them without going through the traditional route of meeting with the higher ups. 

His case is fairly unique at this time.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:56 PM, ar7 said:

, Belichick = do your job, 

ive always thought this was kind of meaningless, like his many other cliches and non answers 

what he really does well is game planning.  they can almost look like a different team from week to week, depending on who they play 

I still say it's more about ego, which Bill Belichik just doesn't have. He doesn't care how they win as long as they win, as boring as it might be. So many coaches are so obsessed with passing and it's gotten them nowhere. They know alot about passing and football in general but they refuse to do anything but what they want to do, then they try and blame the players (masking it by calling it accountability), fire some coordinator, all the way until they're finally fired. 

You don't see the shoe on the other foot as often anymore but it's still out there. Brad Childress was 1 of the smartest coaches imo but he didn't even allow quarterbacks to call audibles until Favre came along, and we all remember what happened when Favre dared audible out of the stretch play on 3rd and 7.

8 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I still say it's more about ego, which Bill Belichik just doesn't have. He doesn't care how they win as long as they win, as boring as it might be. So many coaches are so obsessed with passing and it's gotten them nowhere. They know alot about passing and football in general but they refuse to do anything but what they want to do, then they try and blame the players (masking it by calling it accountability), fire some coordinator, all the way until they're finally fired. 

Well said! When it comes to understanding opponents, no one knows better than him honestly. 

11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

ive always thought this was kind of meaningless, like his many other cliches and non answers 

what he really does well is game planning.  they can almost look like a different team from week to week, depending on who they play 

This is perfectly said IMO.  BB knows how to game plan his D to make the opposing teams key offensive weapon virtually disappear.  He does the same with offense.  Pagano can talk all he wants with cliches or changing his tune now......it does not matter.  He is terrible at game planning and that is what always effects us.  Slow starts and all that jazz!

I just don't buy that so many coaches are that stupid. Who wouldn't gameplan to attack the opponents best weapon, especially when that's all some teams have? Somebody whose just obsessed with calling every shot and going over everybody's head. 

They remind me of my Grandfather (going off on a rant here lol). Whenever there was a problem that everybody in the room knew about he would say it wasn't the problem, he had the right solution, etc. Something about a man agreeing with his juniors hits him in the ego. None of this goes on in NE.