Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IndyStar

TKnight24

As the tweet ask, are you guys buying in on the "new" Pagano?

Me personally, I am if this is real. If he's indeed gonna be that hard nose coach I'm all for it. We need a Mike Tomlin, Bruce Arians, Bill Belichick in our HC spot. Holding folks accountable, demanding better, & removing those who don't perform 

This team has a lot of young talent, it's time for it to show while our leader (Andrew Luck) is healing his rocket

:rantoff:

I'm buying that he is noticeably different in what he says. You can tell in his press conferences that he is vocally expecting more out of players than in previous seasons (atleast publicly). Time will tell if this mantra produces any changes.

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I buy his change in attitude, it's refreshing.

But my problems, or I guess my questions, with Pagano are more just about his actual coaching ability. He can change his ways all he wants but we'll see if he's actually able to coach this team up.

Yeah, the slow starts are dreadful. Just makes you wonder what in blue skies are we doing in practice? 

Can't rely on Andrew to bring us back every game. Chud is also to blame. He's gotta get better and more creative at play calling 

I like Green Bay's play calling how they move everyone around. Dorsett should be our Randall Cobb. Put him in the backfield, in motion for jet sweeps. The kid has speed, use him everywhere until we actually trade him if they still are trying to trade him 

As a minimum I am impressed by his calling out of the roster in relation to injuries and attitude. 

Even going so far as to say we need more grown men out on the field and to mention players specifically like Dorsett and Moncrieff in that we need them out there more than they are.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Me personally, I am if this is real. If he's indeed gonna be that hard nose coach I'm all for it. We need a Mike Tomlin, Bruce Arians, Bill Belichick in our HC spot. Holding folks accountable, demanding better, & removing those who don't perform 

We do need a coach as you describe and we had one we should have kept.  Pagano is all smoke right now...needs t o do what he can to keep his job.  

Bad thing is all sources say Irsay has the call on him for after this year.  If Irsay wants to keep him then I think Ballard might be handcuffed. 

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

We do need a coach as you describe and we had one we should have kept.  Pagano is all smoke right now...needs t o do what he can to keep his job.  

Bad thing is all sources say Irsay has the call on him for after this year.  If Irsay wants to keep him then I think Ballard might be handcuffed. 

I do not buy that at all. I believe that Ballard has a very heavy weight in what occurs to Pagano after this year and if Irsay over rides that choice in another dismal coaching year from Pagano, then we will all see a Ballard who understands his GM status doesn't matter, he is just a puppet for Jim and bolts as soon as he can. But I think Ballard was told at the hire time that he must keep Pags at least one year to see if he can instill change into the team with his picked players and with Pagano feeling he has full control to coach as well as having input into which players to choose from that fit his coaching style and the needs of the team. 

As for Pagano changing his style to a more demanding coach from the old ways of being the cheerleader guy, I don't see it happening over time. He may be harsh from frustration of seeing no output under his tenure but as time goes on, I see him sticking to his self and reverting back into the cheerleader coach he is. I firmly believe, a person is who they are. You can change for a period of time but in the long run, you are who you are and Pagano is a soft coach who wont be able to correct and challenge his players in underwhelming achievements on the field of play for this team. Too bad, such a nice guy that I wish it works out having a nice guy with a BB end results type of coach but I don't think it happens. 

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I do not buy that at all. I believe that Ballard has a very heavy weight in what occurs to Pagano after this year and if Irsay over rides that choice in another dismal coaching year from Pagano, then we will all see a Ballard who understands his GM status doesn't matter, he is just a puppet for Jim and bolts as soon as he can. But I think Ballard was told at the hire time that he must keep Pags at least one year to see if he can instill change into the team with his picked players and with Pagano feeling he has full control to coach as well as having input into which players to choose from that fit his coaching style and the needs of the team. 

As for Pagano changing his style to a more demanding coach from the old ways of being the cheerleader guy, I don't see it happening over time. He may be harsh from frustration of seeing no output under his tenure but as time goes on, I see him sticking to his self and reverting back into the cheerleader coach he is. I firmly believe, a person is who they are. You can change for a period of time but in the long run, you are who you are and Pagano is a soft coach who wont be able to correct and challenge his players in underwhelming achievements on the field of play for this team. Too bad, such a nice guy that I wish it works out having a nice guy with a BB end results type of coach but I don't think it happens. 

So I would agree with pretty much everything you said.  I am just saying listening to JMV yesterday they were talking to Stephen Holder and he said that he had heard as well as Mike Wells, that Irsay had the say on Pags.  I take it for what it's worth, but just thought I would put that out there.  Now again, I agree and if this is the case Ballard might want to rethink his decision.

They also went on to say that because of Irsay, we miss out on FA players because they do not want to deal with him.  Not sure who else heard it but it was interesting if true at all.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

So I would agree with pretty much everything you said.  I am just saying listening to JMV yesterday they were talking to Stephen Holder and he said that he had heard as well as Mike Wells, that Irsay had the say on Pags.  I take it for what it's worth, but just thought I would put that out there.  Now again, I agree and if this is the case Ballard might want to rethink his decision.

They also went on to say that because of Irsay, we miss out on FA players because they do not want to deal with him.  Not sure who else heard it but it was interesting if true at all.

That could be true on dealing with Irsay but perhaps that was because of having Grigson as GM. I don't know if players really had to deal with Irsay in the contract parts while Polian was doing his thing here, that would be nice to get clarification on in an interview. Let's hope that Irsay gives Ballard his freedom too as he proves he is true GM material and not just another new talent trying to adjust in the role of GM. Time will tell but it's disappointing if players won't come here. Cause of Irsay as I thought many felt he was a pretty laid back type owner. Wonder what it is that bothers them? 

11 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

There's an old axiom in the REAL leadership trade - "you can come in tough and ease up over time, but, you can't come in easy and then try and get tough."  People see right through it.

initially when hired, I thought he was the right guy, and perhaps he was for a bit.  But his soft-shell was eventually evident and his deer-in-the-headlights in-game coaching have become year in and year out head-scratchers.  to suddenly see him act the way he does starting with the draft, seems contrived and disingenuous. He might actually be a reptile, because he is leaving a trail of shed skins.

The bringing Ballard in may have had a great effect on Pagano.

To say he cant become more of a hands on tougher coach is nonsense. That is a part of becoming a veteran head coach.

I highly doubt that Belichick started out the way he coaches. In fact I know he didn't. He learned how to become a good head coach.

Coughlin changed his hard nose method and it brought a super bowl.

So saying a coach cant change and be successful is absurd.

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

So you would have fired Pagano while he was out for illness and kept Bruce Arians? 

I can't think of a bigger public relations nightmare. Worse than new coke!

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

So you would have fired Pagano while he was out for illness and kept Bruce Arians? 

I can't think of a bigger public relations nightmare. Worse than new coke!

Never said anything about firing him.  You could have just had him become the Assistant HC and D coordinator as he got healthy and moved Arians to HC and let him run the Offense still like Andy Reid.  Wouldn't happen obviously but it is all hypothetical anyways.

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Never said anything about firing him.  You could have just had him become the Assistant HC and D coordinator as he got healthy and moved Arians to HC and let him run the Offense still like Andy Reid.  Wouldn't happen obviously but it is all hypothetical anyways.

doubt BA would have accepted the job that demoted chuck after his illness