Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do?

MarquisJ

Crush players for poor performance, blow up coordinators for bad play calling and stop with the cliches, slogans and PC pressers. Quit being a "players coach" and start being a disciplinarian that excepts nothing but perfection in every little detail. 

I think the end is near and he knows it. His demeanor has changed and I can't answer whether or not we're seeing the real Pagano now that the Grigson shackles are removed or if we're seeing a guy that knows his time is up

Either way.. He's a great man

7 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I think the end is near and he knows it. His demeanor has changed and I can't answer whether or not we're seeing the real Pagano now that the Grigson shackles are removed or if we're seeing a guy that knows his time is up

Either way.. He's a great man

Pretty much sums it up

If I were him, and I were looking after my own interests first, I put as much effort as possible into the O-line.

This has been a fault of the team for years and if we see improvement on this area, with no real quality player additions, then it must be the coaching that has improved it, Pagano and his staff get the credit.

If the defence does well, Ballard would get the credit for the new additions he has brought in.  If it does poorly, then it can be put on the number of new faces added to the roster, an excuse that could deflect heat from Chuck.

Not to mention this O-Line improvement safeguards Luck when he is back, increasing the likelihood of victories.

I wouldn't listen to us fans that's for sure! lol the season hasn't even begun and you never know how the season could go. We started camp late this year, and we haven't had a lot of our core players playing yet. We have looked pitiful, but we can't really let two preseason games tear us down.

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

You're the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts but you are in Paganos shoes right now... What are some things you would do or change to be able to save your job? Or do you think its too late?

Hold players and staff accountable. Drop a pass, run a mile, miss a block, run a mile, miss a tackle, run a mile, fumble the ball and run like 5 miles with a foot up their butts.

but also keep in mind, it is preseason.  the colts have historically won what, 11 preseason games in 20 years?  Lets see where we are by week 3. 

I wouldn't listen to us fans that's for sure! lol the season hasn't even begun and you never know how the season could go. We started camp late this year, and we haven't had a lot of our core players playing yet. We have looked pitiful, but we can't really let two preseason games tear us down.

What is he supposed to do? The team has a plethora of injuries. There's a ton of new faces on the field, and rookies are in starting positions. Mistakes are going to happen. I'm holding all judgement until the real football games begin. 

By the way, Bill Belichick's team has lost two preseason games in a row to the Jaguars and Texans. I guess the Patriots should fire him... 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hold players and staff accountable. Drop a pass, run a mile, miss a block, run a mile, miss a tackle, run a mile, fumble the ball and run like 5 miles with a foot up their butts.

but also keep in mind, it is preseason.  the colts have historically won what, 11 preseason games in 20 years?  Lets see where we are by week 3. 

Our players would end up looking like 140 lb cross country runners by mid season.

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

You're the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts but you are in Paganos shoes right now... What are some things you would do or change to be able to save your job? Or do you think its too late?

I would play a base 4-3 defense  to stop the run and scrap the 3-4. It ain't been working and we have more talented lineman than linebackers.

Bottomline I play the best player possible at each position regardless of money, contract or stature.

Morris needs to start If Luck is out.

I have so much respect for Gore and he is a hall of famer. But after seeing Mack he should be getting just as many touches as Gore.

Whoever catches the football plays. Whoever protects Luck plays. Whoever covers plays. Who ever Tackles plays. Whoever gets the sacks plays.

6 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Bottomline I play the best player possible at each position regardless of money, contract or stature.

Morris needs to start If Luck is out.

I have so much respect for Gore and he is a hall of famer. But after seeing Mack he should be getting just as many touches as Gore.

Whoever catches the football plays. Whoever protects Luck plays. Whoever covers plays. Who ever Tackles plays. Whoever gets the sacks plays.

Agree. You earn that job on the field. Fundamental football. If Clark cannot stop making * mistakes, see if someone else can man that side of the line. If the LB cannot set the edge, move him down a notch and put in someone who can. If the first round pick cannot get on the field, let him know he's now WR 6 and looking a being cut. But be real about earning the job. And that should include Tolzien. 

12 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Agree. You earn that job on the field. Fundamental football. If Clark cannot stop making * mistakes, see if someone else can man that side of the line. If the LB cannot set the edge, move him down a notch and put in someone who can. If the first round pick cannot get on the field, let him know he's now WR 6 and looking a being cut. But be real about earning the job. And that should include Tolzien. 

Exactly. The organization owes nothing to Tolzien. Plain and simple he's bad. Morris has outplayed him. If they are serious about putting the best guy out there its: Stephen Morris.

5 Point Plan

1) Ask Ballard to sign me a couple of serviceable backup OL

2) Ask Ballard to sign a decent backup QB so I don't throw up every time my O comes off the field

3) Ask Ballard to sign me a veteran CB who can cover AND tackle

4) Pray

5) Polish up my resume

2 hours ago, WERC82 said:

Crush players for poor performance, blow up coordinators for bad play calling and stop with the cliches, slogans and PC pressers. Quit being a "players coach" and start being a disciplinarian that excepts nothing but perfection in every little detail. 

Sorry.  He isn't "that guy."  It's not in his make up.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

All those actions result in nothing more than a grievance with the NFLPA filed by the player's agent.  Oh, and cries to cut out the "college rah-rah stuff."

2 hours ago, WERC82 said:

That is how locker rooms are lost. If he did those things, it would apparent to the players and staff he knows he is out the door. Obviously he expects more from everyone and that should and likely does include himself. Blowing up on the sideline can be a valuable coaching technique. The important thing is coaches actually coaching... I.e. fixing the mental errors a.k.a. every coaches job at every level...

Preseason is preseason. I've seen some great things from certain groups (poor things from others) but we do not have our starting lineup playing together with a solid game plan. I'll start forming my real opinion after the Steelers game through the end of week 1.

I think we might have forgotten how preseason was during the Dungy years. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He already doesn't know how to run an NFL team, he doesn't need any extra ideas from us on that lol! :) 

So the first three years he just got lucky?

I think one of Pagano's biggest problems is he does not know how to pick coordinators.  Monochina is perhaps the worst DC in the NFL and Chud is very limited as an OC.

Not that I think Pags is a great HC, I don't.  Just like when people were talking about Caldwell was not a good coach, he was just lucky to have a team with Manning, Harrison and Wayne and Dallas, etc.  I've always felt that way about Pagano, he had a top rated D not because he was a great DC but because he took over a D with Lewis, Suggs, Reed, and Hgnoti (sp??), etc.  But he's also not as inept as many people on this forum think.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I think one of Pagano's biggest problems is he does not know how to pick coordinators.  Monochina is perhaps the worst DC in the NFL and Chud is very limited as an OC.

Not that I think Pags is a great HC, I don't.  Just like when people were talking about Caldwell was not a good coach, he was just lucky to have a team with Manning, Harrison and Wayne and Dallas, etc.  I've always felt that way about Pagano, he had a top rated D not because he was a great DC but because he took over a D with Lewis, Suggs, Reed, and Hgnoti (sp??), etc.  But he's also not as inept as many people on this forum think.

Ok, I'll explain. The first year, Bruce Arians coached that team. I don't care what anyone says, that's just the truth. As for 2013 and 2014, I believe Pep Hamilton was a much better OC that Luck had Chemistry with from Stanford and his playcalling benefited Luck much more than Chud, whose playbook is absolutely horrible and predictable. The 2013 and 2014 drafts eventually caused us to break down starting in 2015, but that was more Grigson's fault, and Pagano isn't capable of coaching the current teams from 2015 on up to par with Chud as OC and the damage by Grigson in the previous years drafts.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

was wondering how long itd take 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

All those actions result in nothing more than a grievance with the NFLPA filed by the player's agent.  Oh, and cries to cut out the "college rah-rah stuff."

then how do you suggest holding players accountable? fining them ?

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ok, I'll explain. The first year, Bruce Arians coached that team. I don't care what anyone says, that's just the truth. As for 2013 and 2014, I believe Pep Hamilton was a much better OC that Luck had Chemistry with from Stanford and his playcalling benefited Luck much more than Chud, whose playbook is absolutely horrible and predictable. The 2013 and 2014 drafts eventually caused us to break down starting in 2015, but that was more Grigson's fault, and Pagano isn't capable of coaching the current teams from 2015 on up to par with Chud as OC and the damage by Grigson in the previous years drafts.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.  Your sentence about Pep doesn't make any sense... are you saying that Luck had a chemistry class with Pep and that is why they worked well together.

Like I said, if I were the coach I would learn what not to do by reading this forum.

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

hate to be that guy, but we played in a very weak division during lucks first few years

simply having him alone made us better than Tennessee and the jags. we did have a few quality wins in there, but we also had some terrible losses outside of the division 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

hate to be that guy, but we played in a very weak division during lucks first few years

simply having him alone made us better than Tennessee and the jags. we did have a few quality wins in there, but we also had some terrible losses outside of the division 

division is still weak.  And yup Pags record outside the division is not good.  that is why I'm not making the case that Pagano is a good HC, only that he's not as incompetent as many on this forum try to make it sound.  

But the division didn't matter when they staged a comeback win against KC, or wins against the Bengals and Broncos the following year.