Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trevor Siemian

oldunclemark

..as hard as they tried to replace him......they couldnt'

Siemian will start the season again for the Broncos..

7th round draft choice....was never expected to play at all

.....He's more 'game manager' than Alex Smith but he could excel in Mike McCoy's short passing attack.....once he gets used to it.

....Has there every been a team with 2 QBs picked in the last round of the draft?

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

.....He's more 'game manager' than Alex Smith but he could excel in Mike McCoy's short passing attack.....once he gets used to it.

....Has there every been a team with 2 QBs picked in the last round of the draft?

In the pre-season,  there have been a lot of teams with two 7 round qbs

They need to stick with him. The only way to do any better is to either get an early first round draft pick or sell the whole barnyard from a free agent. And both of those things wouldn't happen until next year. He's not a bad quarterback...at all. Elway needs to quit acting like Al Davis. This kind of indecisiveness and doubling back all the time can ruin a team faster than anything else. Like by week 1 fast if the right rat gets in the lockerroom.

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Tons of teams have 2 round 7 Qbs on their team. 

Ooof...I forgot about Lynch. I don't know what the issue is then. He hasn't exactly looked bad either. He was supposed to be a big deal. If Lynch doesn't get it done put him in. I don't know how his preseason has been but he played in 3 games last year iirc and was good.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

They need to stick with him. The only way to do any better is to either get an early first round draft pick or sell the whole barnyard from a free agent. And both of those things wouldn't happen until next year. He's not a bad quarterback...at all. Elway needs to quit acting like Al Davis. This kind of indecisiveness and doubling back all the time can ruin a team faster than anything else. Like by week 1 fast if the right rat gets in the lockerroom.

What are you talking about?  Siemian had the edge in camp but they said it was going to be an open competition and the Broncos just announced that Siemian has won the QB competition and will be the Denver starter this year.

I don't see the indecisiveness, doubling back, etc.

Maybe this can be interpreted different ways.

Trevor Siemian named Broncos' starting quarterback

From this article

Seems pretty clear

12 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

was this forum supposed to be written in 2016? Didn't Siemian start all 16 games last year because he won the QB competition? Or are we going to do this again next year too Broncos? Get your crap together.. there are only two real threats to the Champs in the AFC and you're one of them!

No he didn't start all 16 games last year.  And yes he won a competition against a rookie.  This year he won it against a 1st year player.  We are not going to do anything next year and neither are you as far as Broncos QB competition goes.  What the Broncos do is probably very dependent on what happens this year.

Also, I'm sure you don't see the irony of telling one of the favorites to win the AFC to get their crap together.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Also, I'm sure you don't see the irony of telling one of the favorites to win the AFC to get their crap together.

Big piece of crap to scrap together.. 

Shocking how terrible the AFC is eh? Even with a barely groomed QB they are still better than 13 of the 16 teams in the conference hahaha. 

I'll make myself clear.. Are the BRONCOS going to have another QB competition next year? Better? All I'm saying is give the man a chance. Paxton Lynch didn't win last year, he didn't win this year, he won't win next year haha

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Big piece of crap to scrap together.. 

Shocking how terrible the AFC is eh? Even with a barely groomed QB they are still better than 13 of the 16 teams in the conference hahaha. 

I'll make myself clear.. Are the BRONCOS going to have another QB competition next year? Better? All I'm saying is give the man a chance. Paxton Lynch didn't win last year, he didn't win this year, he won't win next year haha

You just like to whine for the sake of whining don't you?  

Who knows if the Broncos have another QB competition next year, it depends on what happens this year (seems like I already said that) They did give him a chance, he started every game he was available for last year and they are giving him another chance this year as he has already won the starting QB spot.  What else can they do to give him a chance.

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Okay. He's getting a chance this year. 

I'm just sayin its funny that they had this competition again when they did this last year that's all. But new coach, new training, all that good stuff.

I think it makes sense.   Lynch was a rookie last year.   Siemian played OK last year, but not so much that he should have been given the reigns.   Lynch could get the nod at some point this season if the team struggles.   Denver could come out looking good if Siemian is successful.   Lynch has some decent trade value.   

Ugh the robot talk on this board. He didn't start 16 games last year? Of course not when he was hurt. He won the job against a rookie last year and not this year? Wow so much has changed. I mean come on lol! Anyway this hasn't been the camp of a team who has had a starting quarterback no matter what. Not that that's how it necessarily should be, but that's what they're selling. 

They do have a new coach so I guess nobody's job was safe on day 1 but it's almost week 1.

29 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Ugh the robot talk on this board. He didn't start 16 games last year? Of course not when he was hurt. He won the job against a rookie last year and not this year? Wow so much has changed. I mean come on lol! Anyway this hasn't been the camp of a team who has had a starting quarterback no matter what. Not that that's how it necessarily should be, but that's what they're selling. 

They do have a new coach so I guess nobody's job was safe on day 1 but it's almost week 1.

We're the weird ones man..

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I think it makes sense.   Lynch was a rookie last year.   Siemian played OK last year, but not so much that he should have been given the reigns.   Lynch could get the nod at some point this season if the team struggles.   Denver could come out looking good if Siemian is successful.   Lynch has some decent trade value.   

It may come to that, Myles

....because next year Chad Kelly will be vying for the QB job

They really wanted Lynch to do well but he just hasnt

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

In the pre-season,  there have been a lot of teams with two 7 round qbs

True but, again, I didn't say round 7 QBs.

I said QBs picked in the last round of the draft

......and I should have said: with the organization when the season begins.

Last round....QBs..2   Same team. Has it ever happened?

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Lynch was a first round pick.  They are going right continue to give him a chance to beat out Trevor

Next year Chad Kelly gets a chance to beat out Trevor.

Lynch is going to have to beat them both out.

The thing is: Paxton reportedly never called a play in college. They were all called from the sidelines.

He never changed a play at the line.  He was always in the shot gun.

He never took the snap over center (that last one shocks me).

He needs to sit and watch again this year. It may come to him

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The thing is: Paxton reportedly never called a play in college. They were all called from the sidelines.

Seriously good post.      Point after point are all spot on.

I wouldn't rule out the light still going on for him at some point.      That happens.

But his road to success just got a little bit longer.....

Thanks again for your post.     Pretty much says it all....

17 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Not put him in another competition with Paxton Lynch next year for the job haha 

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Lynch was a first round pick.  They are going right continue to give him a chance to beat out Trevor

Trevor was taken in round 7 in 2015.  Lynch was taken in round in 2016. This gives a hnt at what skill sets and upside they are projected to have.

11 hours ago, mikey287 said:

I kinda like Lynch's upside actually...and I am a really tough grader of quarterbacks...

I equate Lynch as the Broncos version of TJ Green.  They are both raw as beef in a butcher shop.  Both have amazing skill sets that if coached and harnessed could make incredible players.  Both guys will get chances to learn and grow, and win starting spots, until it is determined no amount of time and coaching will unlock that potential.

Do you know who else was enamored greatly with Lynch?  Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.  They tried to trade back into round one and get him but were thwarted and took Jaylon Smith instead. They got Dak Prescott with the 2nd of their two round 4 picks.  Funny how things work out at times.

It's not like Elway and the Broncos were the only ones looking at such a raw prospect in round 1, likel the Colts were not the only team (or pre draft scouting site) eyeing the TJ green project player as high as round 2 or so.

16 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He took a few snaps under center in college.  Jared Goff never took a snap under center in college

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, oldunclemark said:

What's interesting is that many of their fans didn't want to embrace Peyton and always skeptical of him.....but as time goes on their respect for him continues to grow.....they are seeing Brock fail...watching Siemian and Lynch not even take them to the playoffs.....Peyton will be up there with Elway in about 10 years if this trend continues...they didn't know how lucky they were.

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

True but, again, I didn't say round 7 QBs.

I said QBs picked in the last round of the draft

......and I should have said: with the organization when the season begins.

Last round....QBs..2   Same team. Has it ever happened?

The seventh round has been the last round for many years now

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Meanwhile fans of another team seemingly pleasure themselves to Brock, Lynch and Siemian failing (as if Peyton's first year was a winning season and he didn't lead the league in INTs).

What's even funnier is that Sieman was an upgrade to Manning last year....They'll never admit it, but he played the Trent Dilfer role exceptionally well being carried by a defense every step of the way...

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

What's interesting is that many of their fans didn't want to embrace Peyton and always skeptical of him.....but as time goes on their respect for him continues to grow.....they are seeing Brock fail...watching Siemian and Lynch not even take them to the playoffs.....Peyton will be up there with Elway in about 10 years if this trend continues...they didn't know how lucky they were.

Peyton is never going to be beloved in Denver like he is Indy...Elway is God there, and Peyton really is just a product of Elway to them...Peyton didn't go there on his own. They see Elway for winning the Peyton sweepstakes. 

The year they won the SB, he had the absolute worst TD/INT ratio of a SB winning QB. They were winning games that year with Brock, and it bothered the hell out of the fans on here... To Peyton's credit, he at least acknowledges this and jokes about Denver's defense carrying him to his second ring. If anyone was lucky in Denver, it was Peyton for having that defense carry him. No ring #2 if not for Von Miller and that defense....Sorry, but no. Their fans are never going to love him as much as Colts fans do, cause they didn't even really need him in 2015 when that defense was doing 100% of the work. Manning was far more essential to the Colts during their runs. 

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He took a few snaps under center in college.  Jared Goff never took a snap under center in college

I tend to agree with you. Lynch must have taken a couple of snaps from center.

If only when you run out the clock.

But that's what the Denver coaches said....Perhaps they were simply using absolutist terms for effect.

The bigger point my be that this is Lynch's second offense and the Gary Kubiak offense forces QBs to take snaps over center..he did it with Peyton.....Kubiak might have made it tough on Lynch.

...I don't think the new Denver offense with Mike McCoy will force that.

I still think Lynch can play eventually but with Chad Kelly on the roster 'redshirting' it better be this year if its going to be in Denver

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The seventh round has been the last round for many years now

I'm old, my man. I well remember when it wasn't.

But then or now..

I still haven't found a team with two QBs picked by that team in the final round on the same roster when the season started. Have you?

I really don't think it has happened

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Trevor was taken in round 7 in 2015.  Lynch was taken in round in 2016. This gives a hnt at what skill sets and upside they are projected to have.

I equate Lynch as the Broncos version of TJ Green.  They are both raw as beef in a butcher shop.  Both have amazing skill sets that if coached and harnessed could make incredible players.  Both guys will get chances to learn and grow, and win starting spots, until it is determined no amount of time and coaching will unlock that potential.

Do you know who else was enamored greatly with Lynch?  Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.  They tried to trade back into round one and get him but were thwarted and took Jaylon Smith instead. They got Dak Prescott with the 2nd of their two round 4 picks.  Funny how things work out at times.

It's not like Elway and the Broncos were the only ones looking at such a raw prospect in round 1, likel the Colts were not the only team (or pre draft scouting site) eyeing the TJ green project player as high as round 2 or so.

I like the Lynch to Green comparison.

Folks seem to know they can play,. They just don't know when.

16 hours ago, Synthetic said:

What's even funnier is that Sieman was an upgrade to Manning last year....They'll never admit it, but he played the Trent Dilfer role exceptionally well being carried by a defense every step of the way...

Peyton is never going to be beloved in Denver like he is Indy...Elway is God there, and Peyton really is just a product of Elway to them...Peyton didn't go there on his own. They see Elway for winning the Peyton sweepstakes. 

The year they won the SB, he had the absolute worst TD/INT ratio of a SB winning QB. They were winning games that year with Brock, and it bothered the hell out of the fans on here... To Peyton's credit, he at least acknowledges this and jokes about Denver's defense carrying him to his second ring. If anyone was lucky in Denver, it was Peyton for having that defense carry him. No ring #2 if not for Von Miller and that defense....Sorry, but no. Their fans are never going to love him as much as Colts fans do, cause they didn't even really need him in 2015 when that defense was doing 100% of the work. Manning was far more essential to the Colts during their runs. 

Oh they don't win a SB with any of the qbs they have on that roster nor with Brock. I'm sorry but as bad as Peyton was statistically he carried that team mentally. That team was falling (specifically the offense) apart. They couldn't get lined up...they weren't making plays...they were horrible. Sure they had a couple good wins with Brock....he caught some lightening in a bottle but when Peyton got on that field in week 17...the rest of the team rose up around him....and you saw that continue in the playoffs. Sure they didn't light the world on fire but I will not discount the fact that especially that first half against NE that Peyton scoring early and getting them out to a lead and again in the SB getting the team ahead counts for a lot. It allowed the defense to play aggressive and take chances and they were BRILLIANT. Peyton was to that offense like Ware was to the defense....production was spotty but it was the leadership on the field and sidelines that inspired, calmed, and propelled that team forward. Peyton wasn't playing in his typical offense...he was asked to lead a run first offense...Kubiaks....he didn't go out of the box and do his own thing....he played his part..checked to the best plays when he needed to and avoided big bad turnovers. He actually had a better passer rating then his Colts SB run.....and yet there were many times he had big games and big post-seasons and the team lost...but while his season wasn't impressive...he had a big role on that team....and I'll tell you this...that Denver team had an incredible defense...but mentally they would do stupid things....Peyton really built that team up over the 4 years he was there...his effect on how they practiced and saw themselves was a direct result of his influence in the organization....and while John Elway is their king....he ain't influencing them from the booth....and we see how this team performs without a general on the field....or lets say a sheriff leading the posse.....they look lost...and dysfunctional. Just my 2 cents....and I think one that some Denver fans are starting to realize.

17 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Elway will always be more loved in Denver I agree. I also agree Denver's Defense carried them in 2015, having said that Denver would not of won the SB without Peyton. They would've never beat the Pats. Peyton's presence was needed in that game. Look at how Denver is doing now without Peyton. I would almost bet they go 8-8 this season and they still have a great Defense.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh they don't win a SB with any of the qbs they have on that roster nor with Brock. I'm sorry but as bad as Peyton was statistically he carried that team mentally. That team was falling (specifically the offense) apart. They couldn't get lined up...they weren't making plays...they were horrible. Sure they had a couple good wins with Brock....he caught some lightening in a bottle but when Peyton got on that field in week 17...the rest of the team rose up around him....and you saw that continue in the playoffs. Sure they didn't light the world on fire but I will not discount the fact that especially that first half against NE that Peyton scoring early and getting them out to a lead and again in the SB getting the team ahead counts for a lot. It allowed the defense to play aggressive and take chances and they were BRILLIANT. Peyton was to that offense like Ware was to the defense....production was spotty but it was the leadership on the field and sidelines that inspired, calmed, and propelled that team forward. Peyton wasn't playing in his typical offense...he was asked to lead a run first offense...Kubiaks....he didn't go out of the box and do his own thing....he played his part..checked to the best plays when he needed to and avoided big bad turnovers. He actually had a better passer rating then his Colts SB run.....and yet there were many times he had big games and big post-seasons and the team lost...but while his season wasn't impressive...he had a big role on that team....and I'll tell you this...that Denver team had an incredible defense...but mentally they would do stupid things....Peyton really built that team up over the 4 years he was there...his effect on how they practiced and saw themselves was a direct result of his influence in the organization....and while John Elway is their king....he ain't influencing them from the booth....and we see how this team performs without a general on the field....or lets say a sheriff leading the posse.....they look lost...and dysfunctional. Just my 2 cents....and I think one that some Denver fans are starting to realize.

I agree 100%. People can say look at his Stats or it was his Defense but he actually played a solid game vs the Pats which was needed. Brock or anyone else on that Roster would not of beat the Pats and anyone knows that, that knows Football. I predicted Denver would miss the Playoffs last season and got it right, but yet they had the same dominant Defense. Funny huh.

Brock beating the Pats in the Regular Season isn't the same so I don't even want to hear that. He would've got beat badly in a Title Game against Bill Belichick.