Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Already tired of Pagano

Zoltan

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pagano can't win. People call him soft and complain because he never calls players out when they don't play well. Then he engages in some relatively tough talk -- for him, not compared to the rest of the league; this is the kind of stuff coaches say routinely in the NFL -- and now he's whining and scapegoating.

Double standard. 

Just say you hate Pagano no matter what, stake your position, and be done with it. You don't have to make up reasons for it. 

Winning cures everything but the problem is, has he surrounded himself with coaches that maximize our talents, even if it's short of what elite teams have as a total? This will be the last season to find out, IMO, if the coaches coach up with a sense of urgency. 

Preseason games are never played out for 60 minutes with starters for adjustments to be made, especially with a team like ours that rarely plays as a front runner. Sometimes it feels like even starters coast along and I'm just happy if they come out healthy, period.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Winning cures everything but the problem is, has he surrounded himself with coaches that maximize our talents, even if it's short of what elite teams have as a total? This will be the last season to find out, IMO, if the coaches coach up with a sense of urgency. 

Preseason games are never played out for 60 minutes with starters for adjustments to be made. Sometimes it feels like even starters coast along and I'm just happy if they come out healthy, period.

He has NOT surrounded himself with coaches that maximize talents, and most certainly not that minimize weaknesses. Particularly on offense, but this is his preferred offensive scheme, as evidenced by his choice of offensive coordinators. 

I think Pagano is definitely on the hot seat. I think his demeanor shows that he recognizes this, but I'm not sure his actions reflect that same urgency (most notably, playing Tolzien for 11 snaps in the first preseason game, as if Tolzien can't use all the work he can get). 

The players don't look prepared, nor are they playing with any urgency. Everyone has preached competition, but it doesn't look like it's brought out anything special in anyone. Maybe because no one has been rewarded for good performance, so far. If they get Mack some increased work, and get Morris on the field sooner, maybe that will help.

Chuck looked like he had two flat tires and his cell phone died right after his wife called and told him the neighbor just ran over his dog. DEFEATED.

His staff has all these players they don`t have up to speed, including some of last seasons lame practice squad  ______ guys that just don`t have it. ugly

Gotta believe Ballard will be buying several new faces after final cuts.

4 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Is it just me or is anyone else already tired of Pagano and his complaining. He can't blame his GM anymore so he's looking for a new scapegoat to cover his butt, he's a defensive coach with a consistently bad defense and has made poor hirings for offensive coordinator (not counting Arians) and after his last rant blaming his young players for there injuries and lack of production just amazes me, with that attitude he is gonna lose the locker room. I do think Ballard has improved the defense and offense (the addition of Mack at Rb is promising) but I do believe we will not improve as a team until we have a real leader at Head Coach, I don't know who that is but I trust Ballard to make smart decisions moving forward.

Honestly NO!!!! I am my tired of people on here complaining about Pagano. The Colts had a crappy team last year, & they were still 500? Was still 500 when Luck was injured the year before. Pagano has not had a losing season EVER! I think some of you younger fans got spoiled by Peyton, and early Luck success. I have been a Colt fan long enough to remember enduring HORRIBLE TEAMS!! For many years. Pagano is a good coach and he will figure it out! This is a young team with a Ol thats well OK, and a defense with a lot of new guys that need to gel and a mixture of young guys that will take there lumps. OH and that Luck guy is out. He doesn't make much of a difference. For those who want him out be careful for what you wish for, it could get a lot worse.

18 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Honestly NO!!!! I am my tired of people on here complaining about Pagano. The Colts had a crappy team last year, & they were still 500? Was still 500 when Luck was injured the year before. Pagano has not had a losing season EVER! I think some of you younger fans got spoiled by Peyton, and early Luck success. I have been a Colt fan long enough to remember enduring HORRIBLE TEAMS!! For many years. Pagano is a good coach and he will figure it out! This is a young team with a Ol thats well OK, and a defense with a lot of new guys that need to gel and a mixture of young guys that will take there lumps. OH and that Luck guy is out. He doesn't make much of a difference. For those who want him out be careful for what you wish for, it could get a lot worse.

Thats right.  

Just have to give it a little time.  I know, he has had the time he has had but this team is a new team with young players and as disappointing as they have been the last few weeks we have to trust that CB has seen the type of talent that he wants to shore us up a little while he completes the rebuild.

Why anyone thinks that we should be competitive with top tier teams (Dallas) this year is beyond me.

We will be just fine when it comes time to get serious about a game plan.  Right now they are looking for the ones that want to be part of the rebuild.

35 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

En Players, talent flashes ala Marlon Mack. With coaches good & bad, impending success or failure almost seems divine, its a glow some have. Not the most analytical barometer but nonetheless you have to be ignorant to say 5 years isn't enough to evaluate the man.

I for one felt he should of been gone in Year 2 but definitely in Year 3 of his stint based on his Def. background & us never showing ANY progress on field at his supposed "expertise"

The continuous problems anyone has ever written or stated about Pagano that are true negatives, still exist. The one positive I can think of that Pagano brings to this franchise is "Class" & even that with his current "New Attitude" shows why his product (our Colts) have looked inconsistent & clueless because at this point that is what he is ... 

This post isn't to undermine Pagano as a man but to show that a man who willingly allowed Grigson to control his show is the exact reason we are looking at the mess we have. Pagano is synonymous en my eyes with "Weak, Confused, Outmatched, Foot Soldier) He isn't a Head Coach just a positional coach wasting time.

Ballard has the glow & I knw you see the difference

There is nothing to suggest Pagano is a good coach.  I don't think he's as detrimental as many here do, but he's certainly not helping matters.  The problem is I'm not sure we'd find anyone better.  Just have to hope the Chris Ballard of coaches falls into our laps.

This is what I don't understand, the Colts are supposed to have this new philosophy this season that says "if you want to play for this team, you need to earn it".  I was also under the impression that if there's someone who shows promise, that person will see the field more than those who underperform.  Now what baffles me is the backup QB position.  Who is under performing and who is showing promise?  Now the last interview with Pagano, he made it sound like they made their choice that Tolzien would be the guy early on and what happened in the last couple of games doesn't matter.  This sounds like the same lousy personnel decisions that "supposedly" were Grigson's decisions the last couple of years.  Am I just imagining this, or do I have a point?

2 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

En Players, talent flashes ala Marlon Mack. With coaches good & bad, impending success or failure almost seems divine, its a glow some have. Not the most analytical barometer but nonetheless you have to be ignorant to say 5 years isn't enough to evaluate the man.

I for one felt he should of been gone in Year 2 but definitely in Year 3 of his stint based on his Def. background & us never showing ANY progress on field ...

The continuous problems anyone has ever written or stated about Pagano that are true negatives, still exist. The one positive I can think of that Pagano brings to this franchise is "Class" & even that with his current "New Attitude" shows why his product (our Colts) have looked inconsistent & clueless because at this point that is what he is ... 

This post isn't to undermine Pagano as a man but to show that a man who willingly allowed Grigson to control his show is the exact reason we are looking at the mess we have. Pagano is synonymous en my eyes with "Weak, Confused, Outmatched, Foot Soldier) He isn't a Head Coach just a positional coach wasting time.

Ballard has the glow & I knw you see the difference

Thats your opion not mine Pagano wins! His Players play hard for him! He has won with cruddy teams. I think he is fine an is a good coach! Pagano is NOT WEAK? You bring up Grigson, hum Pagono had NOOOOOOOO CONTROL over Grigson & in fact IMO had to play players because Grigson told him to. We are in this mess BECAUSE of Grigson! I highly doubt Pagano wanted Werner, Richardson, Dorrest, TJ Green, losing draft picks ect.  It seems to me Ballard and Pagono may work well together, IMO hopefully he gets the chance!

There is sure a lot of spoiled Colt fans. We have had 2 pre season games and the whole world is ending for the Colts. We have 60 % new players but some want them playing like all pros the first two pre seasons? That is pure nonsense. It is totally ridiculous some of these comments.

20 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Thats your opion not mine Pagano wins! His Players play hard for him! He has won with cruddy teams. I think he is fine an is a good coach! Pagano is NOT WEAK? You bring up Grigson, hum Pagono had NOOOOOOOO CONTROL over Grigson & in fact IMO had to play players because Grigson told him to. We are in this mess BECAUSE of Grigson! I highly doubt Pagano wanted Werner, Richardson, Dorrest, TJ Green, losing draft picks ect.  It seems to me Ballard and Pagono may work well together, IMO hopefully he gets the chance!

explain how w get blown out by the Rams & JAGS & the patriots & steelers destroy us w the same gameplan every time we matchup. My point is a strong coach never lets it get to that point. Cancer saved Pags job ... unpopular to say but so is the writting on the wall that Pags is otw out. Pagano sucks as a coach it's almost laughable to suggest otherwise

2 hours ago, ND Irish said:

I would add Chud and Philbin, offense is looking horrendous. It is preseason but these boys need to get some positive momentum to stand a chance for the season opener.

Chud and Philbin are two of the best assistant coaches in football.

It's a real shame we have a fan base that doesn't know this.       You're not alone.    A number of Colts fans agree with you.

I'm just not one of them and am exhausted by the number of people who have uninformed opinions......

Carry on....

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is sure a lot of spoiled Colt fans. We have had 2 pre season games and the whole world is ending for the Colts. We have 60 % new players but some want them playing like all pros the first two pre seasons? That is pure nonsense. It is totally ridiculous some of these comments.

literally this regime has been talking about running & stopping the run & when has that ever happened ... that one game in San Fran lol smh.  Where's the pride it's like yall accept mediocrity... how about raising the bar ... get this trash out of here

Good is good bad is bad it's not hard to figure out

2 hours ago, Superman said:

He has NOT surrounded himself with coaches that maximize talents, and most certainly not that minimize weaknesses. Particularly on offense, but this is his preferred offensive scheme, as evidenced by his choice of offensive coordinators. 

I think Pagano is definitely on the hot seat. I think his demeanor shows that he recognizes this, but I'm not sure his actions reflect that same urgency (most notably, playing Tolzien for 11 snaps in the first preseason game, as if Tolzien can't use all the work he can get). 

The players don't look prepared, nor are they playing with any urgency. Everyone has preached competition, but it doesn't look like it's brought out anything special in anyone. Maybe because no one has been rewarded for good performance, so far. If they get Mack some increased work, and get Morris on the field sooner, maybe that will help.

Seriously?

Now it's the coaching staff and not just Chud?      Really?

Pagano has surrounded himself with coaches that do not maximize talent?    

You're the undisputed leader on this website,  and you now have fans here who are making thread after thread of "Chud can't coach...."       And now you're expanding it to the whole staff.

Interseting that you've complained about the lack of a short passing game when Luck is the QB,  and now Tolzein is the QB and we're throwing short stuff and you're still writing that we're not maximizing our talent or using it correctly.      You've gotten exactly what you've asked for and you're still criticizing it.

OK.......    this is your world....    and you're welcome to it....    but we're approaching Lord of the Flies time here....     and you've helped to create it.....

Me?     I'm barely posting these days.....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's a real shame we have a fan base that doesn't know this.       You're not alone.    A number of Colts fans agree with you.

I'm just not one of them and am exhausted by the number of people who have uninformed opinions......

Carry on....

I'd like to hear how Chud is so good.  I'm listening.

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Aside from the part year when he replaced Pep Hamilton, I have been disappointed in the offensive play calling under the direction of Chud.  I hope he turns it around this year, but thus far, I disagree with the notion that Chud is one of the best OCs in the NFL.   Not even close to being such.

i hope to eat my words, though, based on what is to come in 2017.

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

Now it's the coaching staff and not just Chud?      Really?

Pagano has surrounded himself with coaches that do not maximize talent?    

You're the undisputed leader on this website,  and you now have fans here who are making thread after thread of "Chud can't coach...."       And now you're expanding it to the whole staff.

Interseting that you've complained about the lack of a short passing game when Luck is the QB,  and now Tolzein is the QB and we're throwing short stuff and you're still writing that we're not maximizing our talent or using it correctly.      You've gotten exactly what you've asked for and you're still criticizing it.

OK.......    this is your world....    and you're welcome to it....    but we're approaching Lord of the Flies time here....     and you've helped to create it.....

Me?     I'm barely posting these days.....

I don't see what's so sensational about what I'm saying. Do you think Pagano has surrounded himself with a staff that maximizes talent?

I have no problem with how Chud is calling the offense in the preseason. (You've actually seen me defending Tolzien against lots of people, including Reggie Wayne, a Colts legend for whom I have the utmost respect.) But I don't think that's indicative of how Chud calls the offense in general, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that he doesn't call that kind of game once Luck comes back. If he does, and finds a way to mix in the playmaking stuff, and gets the ball to explosive guys like Mack (and hopefully Dorsett, but that's a whole 'nother conversation), then I'll sing Chud's praises. But I bet he doesn't. It's not what he does. 

And that's a big part of my criticism of Chud. He relies too much on Luck's outstanding ability to make plays, but doesn't make the game easy for Luck, his receivers and backs, and especially the OL, which has been either devoid of talent or mostly young guys who aren't ready to lock down an NFL pass rush yet. But when Hasselbeck, or even Freeman and Lindley, were the QBs, the offense stressed getting the ball out quickly. With Freeman, they mixed in some shots down the field and put the defense on notice. That 2015 Week 17 coaching job is one of the reasons I had high hopes for the Colts last season. Maximize strengths, minimize weaknesses. They do it well unless Luck is the QB, and that's just crazy to me. 

I think Philbin is a good position coach. I hope his work with the young OL pays off, but so far in preseason, young guys have been sloppy, they've been out of sync in the run game, and they haven't finished blocks. Still, it's early, and I actually believe in Philbin. He's one of the three I'd keep.

Another is McMahon, who is a really good STs coach. We'll see if he's as good without McAfee, but I think he's earned his keep.

Pagano turned over 80% of the staff a year ago. Who else is a standout assistant? Sanjay Lal is the third guy I'd keep, but that's because he's new and I like what I hear. He hasn't actually proven anything so far.

Manusky actually did a pretty good job in 2014, but got his butt kicked by the Steelers and Patriots, so is he a guy that anyone wants to go to bat for?

So what has Pagano's staff done to suggest that he's surrounded himself with coaches who maximize talent? I know we disagree on Chud, but I really don't see what's wrong with my statement. And it's nothing I haven't said before.

7 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Is it just me or is anyone else already tired of Pagano and his complaining. He can't blame his GM anymore so he's looking for a new scapegoat to cover his butt, he's a defensive coach with a consistently bad defense and has made poor hirings for offensive coordinator (not counting Arians) and after his last rant blaming his young players for there injuries and lack of production just amazes me, with that attitude he is gonna lose the locker room. I do think Ballard has improved the defense and offense (the addition of Mack at Rb is promising) but I do believe we will not improve as a team until we have a real leader at Head Coach, I don't know who that is but I trust Ballard to make smart decisions moving forward.

I think Pagano should have been gone after last year but I don't think he's been a complainer or was blaming the GM either.  I don't think he's looking for a scapegoat this year either. 

I think he was expressing frustration, just as many here have, about all the injuries the Colts have had. 

Pagano has proven to be a players coach probably too much of one at times so I also don't buy the argument that he's going to lose the lockeroom either. 

Again I support a coaching change but I think some of what you are charging Pagano with here is unfair. 

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I'd like to hear how Chud is so good.  I'm listening.

I won't even write much.     I'm pretty much going to post his bio.

It's an easy and very impressive read.      Chudzinski has a terrific resume'.     The Colts are lucky to have him.  

If/when Pagano gets fired,  if the new HC wants to bring in his own OC,  I don't think Chud will have to wait long to get hired.      He's very good at his job.

His work with the Colts and Browns (two stints) and Panthers and other stops are all noted.    I encourage people here to read it and learn.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Rob-Chudzinski/0c83c098-46cf-46fd-8cd0-d650a9cba7c0

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I won't even write much.     I'm pretty much going to post his bio.

It's an easy and very impressive read.      Chudzinski has a terrific resume'.     The Colts are lucky to have him.  

If/when Pagano gets fired,  if the new HC wants to bring in his own OC,  I don't think Chud will have to wait long to get hired.      He's very good at his job.

His work with the Colts and Browns (two stints) and Panthers and other stops are all noted.    I encourage people here to read it and learn.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Rob-Chudzinski/0c83c098-46cf-46fd-8cd0-d650a9cba7c0

I know and remember chuds history and imo you are over selling how good he is/was. He is not awful but like Chuck his game planning is very hit and miss. On the misses, he often like Chuck adjusts too late or not correctly. Not saying they are scrubs as coaches but like players, they are expected to improve. So being critical as fans should be expected when the schematic adjustments continue to be out maneuvered by clever coaching from the opposition.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't see what's so sensational about what I'm saying. Do you think Pagano has surrounded himself with a staff that maximizes talent?

I think the problems this off-season have almost nothing to do with "maximizing talent."    They have to do with injuries on offense and new talent learning how to play together on defense.     This was entirely predictable.

My objection about you and Chud,  is that almost all of your posts this off season were the equivelent of sitting at a piano and playing the same note over and over and over again.

Chud.   Can't.    Coach.

Chud.   Can't.    Call.    Plays.

Chud.   Doesn't.   Maximize.   Talent.

And now that the pre-season has predictably gone bad,  you're still singing mostly the same song,  only now you have a whole choir who are singing along with you.   

You have repeatedly failed to acknowledge what Chud has done well since he arrived and what he's dealing with now.      And while you may write that you have no problem with what Chud is doing now,   it's completely drowned out by what you've written the whole off-season.    Post after post after post.

People here think we suck this off-season because of Chud.    And they pay little attention to the Luck, Gore,  poor OL play, and our 2nd, 3rd and 4th WR's not even playing.      That's all on you my friend.    On you.

If Chud is so incopetent,  how did he do so well in 2015 when Luck went down?    He did NOT maximize talent and still win with Hasselbeck, Whitehurst,  Lindley and Freeman?    Seriously?     That's ALL HE DID WAS MAXIMIZE TALENT.     There's no other argument anyone could make other maximize talent.      And how did Andrew Luck enjoy the best seasons of his career last year with a horrible O-line the first half of the season?    And then featured two rookie starters the whole 2nd half and 3 rookie starters the last 3 games?     The offense was top-10 last year,  except no one could tell that judging by what you have written all off-season.

It's the same note.....    Chud.     Can't.     Coach.

I think your posts this year are lop-sided.    There's no balance.    Gone is the context that you often use.    And it's been replaced by Anti-Chud rants followed up by Pagano has almost a whole coaching staff that doesn't maximize talent.   

I have spent my first five years singing your praises.    You have no bigger admirer than me.    No one who respects you more.    But at some point, all of these rants have jumped the shark for me.    There's no sense of proportion.    No big picture.     In another post I made tonight,  I linked Chudzinski's bio....     It's pretty damn impressive.     Even his time in Cleveland.     He's got nothing to apologize for.     I'd recommend reading it for you and anyone else who thinks Chud can't coach.     I suspect you'll feel differently once you've read it.

I have no problem with how Chud is calling the offense in the preseason. (You've actually seen me defending Tolzien against lots of people, including Reggie Wayne, a Colts legend for whom I have the utmost respect.) But I don't think that's indicative of how Chud calls the offense in general, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that he doesn't call that kind of game once Luck comes back. If he does, and finds a way to mix in the playmaking stuff, and gets the ball to explosive guys like Mack (and hopefully Dorsett, but that's a whole 'nother conversation), then I'll sing Chud's praises. But I bet he doesn't. It's not what he does. 

And that's a big part of my criticism of Chud. He relies too much on Luck's outstanding ability to make plays, but doesn't make the game easy for Luck, his receivers and backs, and especially the OL, which has been either devoid of talent or mostly young guys who aren't ready to lock down an NFL pass rush yet. But when Hasselbeck, or even Freeman and Lindley, were the QBs, the offense stressed getting the ball out quickly. With Freeman, they mixed in some shots down the field and put the defense on notice. That 2015 Week 17 coaching job is one of the reasons I had high hopes for the Colts last season. Maximize strengths, minimize weaknesses. They do it well unless Luck is the QB, and that's just crazy to me. 

I think Philbin is a good position coach. I hope his work with the young OL pays off, but so far in preseason, young guys have been sloppy, they've been out of sync in the run game, and they haven't finished blocks. Still, it's early, and I actually believe in Philbin. He's one of the three I'd keep.

Another is McMahon, who is a really good STs coach. We'll see if he's as good without McAfee, but I think he's earned his keep.

Pagano turned over 80% of the staff a year ago. Who else is a standout assistant? Sanjay Lal is the third guy I'd keep, but that's because he's new and I like what I hear. He hasn't actually proven anything so far.

Manusky actually did a pretty good job in 2014, but got his butt kicked by the Steelers and Patriots, so is he a guy that anyone wants to go to bat for?

So what has Pagano's staff done to suggest that he's surrounded himself with coaches who maximize talent? I know we disagree on Chud, but I really don't see what's wrong with my statement. And it's nothing I haven't said before.

Edited by Nadine
removed all bold and all italics

12 minutes ago, life long said:

I know and remember chuds history and imo you are over selling how good he is/was. He is not awful but like Chuck his game planning is very hit and miss. On the misses, he often like Chuck adjusts too late or not correctly. Not saying they are scrubs as coaches but like players, they are expected to improve. So being critical as fans should be expected when the schematic adjustments continue to be out maneuvered by clever coaching from the opposition.

All those team records and top-10 team records and individual records at stops in Cleveland and Charlotte and Indy and elsewhere are not just coincidences.     You can't keep getting good results at stop after stop after stop and be as bad as the fan base is complaining about.

The problems were are seeing this off-season have nothing to do with Rob Chudzinski.     Zero.

They have to do with Scott Tolzein instead of Andrew Luck.     With not using Frank Gore.     With no WR's 2, 3 and 4 (Moncrief, Dorsett and Rodgers)...   with an OL that is suffering dents and dings....    and with using lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th string guys to give them long looks.      That's why we're struggling.     This was completely predictable.     And fans here are just looking to blame someone --- anyone --- and for right now,  it's Rob Chudzinski.

He's the Fall Guy for the fan base.     And I think it's entirely misplaced.

9 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Thank you. I never wanted Pagano here in the first place.

I seriously would consider sitting Luck this season and just throw in the towel in.

Fire Pagano and bring in someone Ballard believes in.

Pick at the top of every round in the draft and have a strong free agency.

The Colts would entering the 2018 season with a healthy Luck, new head coach and a much improved team.

47 minutes ago, Colt-King 24 said:

I seriously would consider sitting Luck this season and just throw in the towel in.

Fire Pagano and bring in someone Ballard believes in.

Pick at the top of every round in the draft and have a strong free agency.

The Colts would entering the 2018 season with a healthy Luck, new head coach and a much improved team.

This is nonsense.

We are not "spoiled colts fans" for wanting this team to come out fast, aggressive and confident. Not laid back and slow. That falls on the head coach directly. I dont care if we win or lose preseason games, but what i do know is we should be coming out to play hard no matter what, do anything to win regardless if it counts or not, get guys confidence levels up that way we are ready for the regular season intensity. The way i look at preseason is 4 games to ramp uo your intensity, confidence and effort for regular season games. Not lull ourselves to sleep with coasting players. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the problems this off-season have almost nothing to do with "maximizing talent."    They have to do with injuries on offense and new talent learning how to play together on defense.     This was entirely predictable.

My objection about you and Chud,  is that almost all of your posts this off season were the equivelent of sitting at a piano and playing the same note over and over and over again.

Chud.   Can't.    Coach.

Chud.   Can't.    Call.    Plays.

Chud.   Doesn't.   Maximize.   Talent.

And now that the pre-season has predictably gone bad,  you're still singing mostly the same song,  only now you have a whole choir who are singing along with you.   

You have repeatedly failed to acknowledge what Chud has done well since he arrived and what he's dealing with now.      And while you may write that you have no problem with what Chud is doing now,   it's completely drowned out by what you've written the whole off-season.    Post after post after post.

People here think we suck this off-season because of Chud.    And they pay little attention to the Luck, Gore,  poor OL play, and our 2nd, 3rd and 4th WR's not even playing.      That's all on you my friend.    On you.

If Chud is so incopetent,  how did he do so well in 2015 when Luck went down?    He did NOT maximize talent and still win with Hasselbeck, Whitehurst,  Lindley and Freeman?    Seriously?     That's ALL HE DID WAS MAXIMIZE TALENT.     There's no other argument anyone could make other maximize talent.      And how did Andrew Luck enjoy the best seasons of his career last year with a horrible O-line the first half of the season?    And then featured two rookie starters the whole 2nd half and 3 rookie starters the last 3 games?     The offense was top-10 last year,  except no one could tell that judging by what you have written all off-season.

It's the same note.....    Chud.     Can't.     Coach.

I think your posts this year are lop-sided.    There's no balance.    Gone is the context that you often use.    And it's been replaced by Anti-Chud rants followed up by Pagano has almost a whole coaching staff that doesn't maximize talent.   

I have spent my first five years singing your praises.    You have no bigger admirer than me.    No one who respects you more.    But at some point, all of these rants have jumped the shark for me.    There's no sense of proportion.    No big picture.     In another post I made tonight,  I linked Chudzinski's bio....     It's pretty damn impressive.     Even his time in Cleveland.     He's got nothing to apologize for.     I'd recommend reading it for you and anyone else who thinks Chud can't coach.     I suspect you'll feel differently once you've read it.

(This is gonna be a long post, even for me. I put your previous post in a spoiler tag for the sake of length.)

??? 

This is a gross mischarecterization of my criticisms. I think maybe you're under the impression that I'm laying all the blame for a couple of disappointing preseason games at the feet of Chud, and I'm not.

First off, if people think Chud is to blame for the poor preseason because of my posts, then they aren't paying attention to my posts. Because none of my criticisms of this preseason have anything to do with the offense. I don't know how you reach that conclusion. My criticisms of Chud pre-date these two preseason games, and I've been vocally defending Tolzien against unreasonable claims. 

My problem with this preseason is effort, intensity, physicality, a lack of focus... and the only criticism that's even remotely related to the offense has been my incredulity that they'd pull Tolzien so quickly in the first game. I believe that, in order for us to have any chance of winning without Luck, the defense has to play well, and the defense hasn't shown any ability to even do the basics so far. Again, I really don't understand where you're coming from here.

I've been critical of Chud this offseason because I don't like his offense. Not once have I called him incompetent. I haven't said he can't coach. I certainly haven't blamed this preseason on him. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. You're lumping in a lot of different thoughts, and some of them aren't even mine. 

I don't know if this is about Chud or not, but let's dive deeper there. As I said in the last post, Chud did a really good job in 2015, without Luck, especially in the last game. And he deserves some credit for the offense being as productive as it was in 2016, despite a bad OL. 

But let's talk about the OL. It's been a mess for five years. Chud takes over officially at the start of 2016, and he winds up with a core group that features three rookies, a second year guy who was picked at the end of the 7th round, and three established vets. That the line would struggle to protect at times was predictable. Yet, our offense wound up running 220 pass plays with 7 step drops, and only 91 pass plays with 3 step drops, only 9 WR/TE screens, and only 12 designed rollouts; Luck was under pressure on 44% of his dropbacks (all per PFF's podcast, from May). We can probably argue forever about whether those numbers are accurate, but I don't think you would disagree that the Colts' passing attack features long developing concepts, and is short on designs that get the ball out quick and take pressure off of the OL, would you? So this offense -- that Chud calls -- is not minimizing weaknesses, it's exacerbating them, particularly the fact that our OL struggles in pass protection.

I know Luck had a good year, and the offense was top 10 in points and yards, and we were strong in the red zone, and all that. That doesn't mean the offense was maximized. And when you look at specific situations, including the plays that were called and the way they were executed, it's plain and clear that the offense did not reach it's full potential last season. Look at the play we ran in the Houston game, with the season basically on the line, and tell me that looked like a top ten offense.

Chud has one of the best weapons in the NFL in Luck, and he knows it. He knows that Luck can extend plays when he's under pressure, and still get the ball to his receivers, and he relies on it. This is not how Chud called games for Hasselbeck, Whitehurst, Freeman and Lindley. It's not how he called the Steelers game for Tolzien last year, and it's not how he's been calling the preseason so far this year.

In my opinion, the offense with Luck would be more efficient, and thereby more effective at helping to win games, if Chud were less reliant on Luck's ability to make plays, and more proactive in taking pressure off of the OL to block for long developing pass plays.

By the way, this is the same thing I said about Bruce Arians in 2012, who runs a similar offense. It's not anything against Chud specifically, but I've been on record for five years now as not being a fan of this offensive philosophy. I don't know why that's suddenly a surprise now. When he took over last year, I said I hoped his vision for the offense was reflected in the 2015 Denver game and in the way he innovated a win in Week 17. I don't think either of those things came true in 2016.

Last thing I'll say, because this is already way too long... the fact that you note a change of tone in my posts right now might mean something different than what you think it means. If I'm always the guy stressing context, telling people that they're overreacting and being unfair, if I'm the guy who usually defends the staff against overly negative and unreasonable posters, but here I am saying I don't think the staff is doing a good job right now -- does that mean I'm lopsided? Or does it maybe mean that I'm disappointed with what I believe to be a lack of intensity and urgency from this team right now? Set aside my being unimpressed with Chud -- if I'm saying I'm disappointed with the team in preseason, doesn't that suggest something's wrong?

I'm just asking for the benefit of the doubt. I don't rant and go negative. I don't call for coaches' heads. But I think this coaching staff is coming up seriously short right now. 

15 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Go complain somewhere else then. It's only game 2 of the preseason......Give me a break .....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All those team records and top-10 team records and individual records at stops in Cleveland and Charlotte and Indy and elsewhere are not just coincidences.     You can't keep getting good results at stop after stop after stop and be as bad as the fan base is complaining about.

The problems were are seeing this off-season have nothing to do with Rob Chudzinski.     Zero.

They have to do with Scott Tolzein instead of Andrew Luck.     With not using Frank Gore.     With no WR's 2, 3 and 4 (Moncrief, Dorsett and Rodgers)...   with an OL that is suffering dents and dings....    and with using lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th string guys to give them long looks.      That's why we're struggling.     This was completely predictable.     And fans here are just looking to blame someone --- anyone --- and for right now,  it's Rob Chudzinski.

He's the Fall Guy for the fan base.     And I think it's entirely misplaced.

I'm not saying he sucks. Just not good enough to be above criticism, which you seem to be implying. If fans like yourself can be critical of Luck, then why can't others be critical of the coaches. Great coaches elevate their players and vice versa. Who do you believe deserves more credit for past offensive success, Luck or his OC's? Luck is not perfect but I believe he has won in spite of his coaches at times. 

13 hours ago, MFT5 said:

explain how w get blown out by the Rams & JAGS & the patriots & steelers destroy us w the same gameplan every time we matchup. My point is a strong coach never lets it get to that point. Cancer saved Pags job ... unpopular to say but so is the writting on the wall that Pags is otw out. Pagano sucks as a coach it's almost laughable to suggest otherwise

Your comment about cancer saving Pagano's job puts this whole comment in the toilet.

Pagano took this team farther into the playoffs and on to the AFC championship game after coming back from cancer. For you to even bring that to the table is asinine.