Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many touchdowns will tolzien throw versus steelers

Stephen

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, you forced me to go back and watch the game (thank you Game Pass condensed game)

I have to admit, he wasn't horrible.  I marked down each pass, he threw a couple nice long balls.  He also threw a couple long balls that had no chance.  His two INTs were atrocious throws, but I think he got hit on at least one of them.  Besides, they were so far ahead they were teeing off and he didn't have much time.

He threw a real nice ball to Dorsett but threw one behind Rogers in the end zone.  He didn't lose the game - the D did (along with some bad play calling).  

I think Superman said it best in a previous post here, he's not good, but he's not as bad as people (me included) make him out.

One last thing - in that Steelers game he looked like he was trying to make plays.  In the last two preseason games, it looks like he's going to the check down as soon as his #1 isn't open. 

Anyway, excuse the long post - but I will admit I was 'somewhat' wrong about him.  Selective memory?

Yep, that is why I used the term 'mediocre' for Tolzien, that is why he is a backup and has a limited ceiling, IMO.

I also felt Chud did him no favors in the game vs Cowboys till a few drives later when he called for a few plays down the field (or maybe it took Tolzien a while to realize he had to look for those reads because typically wide outs are available at different levels for most plays called). What I did not like about Tolzien that he chose to run for the goal line twice vs the Steelers last year thinking he was Luck, he should know better not to do a QB scramble by the goal line, he is not as fast as he thinks he is. :) 

17 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Based on these stats who should start at QB and look who are the leaders in receiving??

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/indianapolis-colts/stats

Funny that you think the starter should be determined by preseason stats.

Tolzien is not that good.  But Morris is not good either.  Tolzien's biggest problem against Dallas was throwing it 2 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down... consistently.  Morris has problems with accuracy, touch, and anticipation.

As a fan I would feel much better if the Colts signed an actual QB but if they don't I still prefer Tolzien over Morris.

Forget touchdowns.... I just want to see him actually attempt a 1st down throw.  Even if we don't ketch it, at least attempt a throw far enough to get the 1st down.  Every time it is 3rd and long he drops back, pretends to look downfield, and dumps it off to a RB or TE for a 3 yards.  Very hard to watch

19 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

He played well against them in the regular season last year for those who have bad memory.

Which is why I'm waiting for the regular season to judge Tolzien if Luck doesn't play.

Matt Hasselbeck also played horribly in preseason and won 3 or 4 games for us in the regular season.

he wasnt that great

his stat line was 205 yards 1 TD 2 ints, 62.8 rating.  some of his positive yards were in garbage time too

thats not going to win many games in the nfl 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

he wasnt that great

his stat line was 205 yards 1 TD 2 ints, 62.8 rating.  some of his positive yards were in garbage time too

thats not going to win many games in the nfl 

Actually most of his yards were not in garbage time. The two interceptions were in garbage time when he tried to make a play when we got down late. He put everything he had in that game which is what you expect from a backup.

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Funny that you think the starter should be determined by preseason stats.

Tolzien is not that good.  But Morris is not good either.  Tolzien's biggest problem against Dallas was throwing it 2 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down... consistently.  Morris has problems with accuracy, touch, and anticipation.

As a fan I would feel much better if the Colts signed an actual QB but if they don't I still prefer Tolzien over Morris.

What?? Tolzien looks lost in the preseason you really want him starting against the Rams if he is so terrible in the preseason with the first team

On August 21, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Superman said:

Dorsett dropped a TD, and we called some seriously deficient plays in those goal to go situations. I wouldn't say he played well, but he didn't play as poorly as people say.

And that's generally the deal with him. Look at these projections in this thread. Tolzien has never played as bad as people are saying he has or will. I don't know what some of you guys have been watching. Tolzien is simply not as bad as people are making him out to be.

He's not good. Not a playmaker. I don't believe in him. I don't like his face or his demeanor (intangible, but I think intangibles matter with QBs). I think he plays somewhat scared and nervous, and I don't think he can push the ball down the field. But he hasn't been bad, bottom line, and I think anyone saying he has either doesn't know what they're talking about or has an agenda.

Morris is one of those popular backup QBs that people are itching for because we haven't seen him fail yet. I think he has the playmaker gene, he seems to carry himself with confidence and swagger, and he seems unflappable. He also has very inconsistent mechanics, from footwork to release/follow-through, and everything in between, which causes him to overthrow receivers or put the ball in the ground. He makes some gunslinger-type throws that make no sense (almost had one picked off on Saturday), which makes me question his decision making. 

But I'd definitely get him in there sooner against Pittsburgh. I might even alternate him with Tolzien in the first half. 

Ok, not sure if I'm understanding this, what's wrong with his face?

15 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

What?? Tolzien looks lost in the preseason you really want him starting against the Rams if he is so terrible in the preseason with the first team

He doesn't look lost.  And as I stated, I would rather the Colts sign a real back-up QB.  But if they don't then yes, I'd rather have Tolzien start over Morris and definitely over Walker.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:32 AM, DaColts85 said:

Zero

Winner!  But.. both he and Morris played fairly well too...

Passing         CP/AT     YDS     TD     INT
S. Morris        12/16      143        0        0
S. Tolzien        7/10       123        0        1

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Winner!  But.. both he and Morris played fairly well too...

Passing         CP/AT     YDS     TD     INT
S. Morris        12/16      143        0        0
S. Tolzien        7/10       123        0        1

I thought morris made tougher throws. Especially on two of them when he stood in the pocket and got drilled yet still completed pass

Just now, Stephen said:

I thought morris made tougher throws. Especially on two of them when he stood in the pocket and got drilled yet still completed pass

Morris looked better, but they're going with Tolzein.  Some say Morris looks good because he's competing against the second team Ds.  But it doesn't matter who's out there when you drop dimes like that.  

I think he gives us a better chance to win, probably along with everyone else.  Except those that make the lineups.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Morris looked better, but they're going with Tolzein.  Some say Morris looks good because he's competing against the second team Ds.  But it doesn't matter who's out there when you drop dimes like that.  

I think he gives us a better chance to win, probably along with everyone else.  Except those that make the lineups.  

As long as tolzien doesnt throw those bone headed ints. The steelers announcers were making comments about how they thought morris had outplayed tolzien so if even though know and yet the coaching staff still rolls tolzien.