Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will Luck be taken off PUP?

SilentHill

Assuming he is taken off PUP before the regular season starts, what is the date that has to happen by?

It is concerning to me that he hasn't been taken off PUP heading into the 3rd pre-season game. Surely with the season 20 days away we should know by now if Luck will be available in the first 6 weeks of the season.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be anytime! Im hoping its this week. Even if he is taken off next week he would still have a week to practice before the RAM game. I only think he misses the Ram game is if he is taken off the PUP list 4-6 days before the game. I have to think if he's off beforehand he will practice and be ready for week 1. Luck will have some rust to knock off but he's a vet QB so it shouldn't take long to get into the swing of things. We know he's throwing so he will practice immediately once taken off PUP. I'm sure they will keep him on a pitch count but I still feel like he plays in Week 1. But I think Morris could beat the Rams if needed, Tolzien absolutely cant.

I wouldn't plan to see him play week 1.  I am more concerned about making sure that shoulder is really ready to go.  With no real practice yet trying to get that shoulder in throwing shape in the next couple of weeks could be a problem.

27 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

But with 3 weeks to go until the regular season there's no way that they dont know whether he will be available or not! If he's not playing in week 1 then just rule him out now so at least we know.

They have zero obligation to tell us anything until roster spaces are finalized at the conclusion of the preseason. If he is going to miss week 1, announcing that now only helps the Rams...

2 minutes ago, life long said:

They have zero obligation to tell us anything until roster spaces are finalized at the conclusion of the preseason. If he is going to miss week 1, announcing that now only helps the Rams...

Agreed. Force the Rams to gameplan for multiple QBs.

33 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

To simply answer your question, when the medical staff and Ballard believes he's ready and healthy

I'm not really concerned about week 1. I'm more concerned with the PUP. You can't tell me that the Colts don't know if he will need to sit out the first 6 games or not, Why is he still on PUP? Is it because he is going to miss the first 6 games?

10 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'm not really concerned about week 1. I'm more concerned with the PUP. You can't tell me that the Colts don't know if he will need to sit out the first 6 games or not, Why is he still on PUP? Is it because he is going to miss the first 6 games?

I'm sure the Colts know, they are probably just hoping at this point he can return a bit earlier than originally thought and not miss the first six games. If he could practice right now, then we'd have a pretty good idea that he may return for the start of the season, but with only 2 preseason games left and seeing how Luck isn't practicing yet, it should be pretty obvious he's going to miss some portion of the season. The only question is, will it be 6 games or not?

16 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

It's getting to be really annoying. JMV is saying that Luck's throwing the ball 30yds downfield, with touch, but since he's on PUP he's only allowed to throw it to trainers. If he's throwing that well, it seems like they'd wanna get him working with receivers sooner than later.

1 hour ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

But with 3 weeks to go until the regular season there's no way that they dont know whether he will be available or not! If he's not playing in week 1 then just rule him out now so at least we know.

If he is on pup when reg season starts expect to lose the first six games especially if tolzien is starting

47 minutes ago, life long said:

Rams dont need any help if tolzien starts.

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

They don't need to take him off of preseason PUP until they're ready for him to practice, or by Monday of Week 1. That he's still on PUP in preseason doesn't mean they expect him to stay on PUP in regular season. Based on all indications, even if he doesn't practice prior to Week 1, he'll be activated by Week 1. 

There's been no indication from anyone that he'll miss the first six games.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

To simply answer your question, when the medical staff and Ballard believes he's ready and healthy

I think we are being too cautious with him. Just let him freaking play. I think he is probably more ready than they are saying. Ballard said Luck wants to do it. He probably feels good too. But we decide he isn't. 

Remember when we didn't make the playoffs last season but Andrew still played week 17 and got hit a lot lol.. If they gave him the surgery around then my guess is he'd be ready to go week 1 and get a good amount of reps in. But what else would you expect with this team

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

that might matter if we could actually be competitive without luck

Totally agree. Let 'em keep guessing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts took Luck off the PUP in time for the last preseason game and still didn't play him there or in Game 1.  Especially with the O line a complete mess right now with injuries. Oviously its just speculation but I'd look for Luck in Game 2 or 3. 

3 hours ago, SilentHill said:

They will take him off almost certainly before the start of the season. Keeping him on it would be asinine since he could be ready prior to week 7.  Not only that but we leave the offense in the shape it's been looking like the last few preseason games. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I think we are being too cautious with him. Just let him freaking play. I think he is probably more ready than they are saying. Ballard said Luck wants to do it. He probably feels good too. But we decide he isn't. 

I know what you mean. What's to say he doesn't hurt it anyway just from being tackled a certain way?  The reason they hold him out is because if he causes major damage in his shoulder because they say "well he should be good to go by now" and just throw him in to play. Permenant shoulder damage may cause an earlier retirement something that would make this team a non-contender for years to come until we become a team with better depth and a good defense

4 hours ago, life long said:

For sure.  They have no obligation to tell us anything but being on PUP means no practice with active roster guys.  At some point he needs to come off PUP just to get work in with the guys he will be throwing to.  I really think it has very little to do with making Wade Phillips prepare for a couple of different options.

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

For sure.  They have no obligation to tell us anything but being on PUP means no practice with active roster guys.  At some point he needs to come off PUP just to get work in with the guys he will be throwing to.  I really think it has very little to do with making Wade Phillips prepare for a couple of different options.

We all want Luck off the PUP before the final preseason game. The team obviously needs Luck to get as much practice as possible before he plays,but this season may be closer to when Peyton skipped camp and preseason. As long as he can throw without too much strain, I can live without him getting a ton of practice reps. Especially if it keeps Tolzien from starting much longer.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Yeah, I am sure he is really scratching his head trying to figure out how to keep us from getting that one third down conversion..... last Friday night was probably the last time he has had any real sleep.

With each passing day, the chance of Luck playing in game one drops.  We all knew this was a possibility. a great timeline was sill cutting it close, and seems to be still is. I still hope he is active before the season begins and he doesn't end up on Reserve PUP.  But I feel it will take 2-3 weeks of team practice drills with the team to be truly ready.  He may be activated to the roster sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, but that alone doesn't mean he' ll be ready to play right away.

My hope his 'reported' throwing (30 yd finesse passes) at this point is for strength and conditioning reps, and not still in the 'light tossing' stages of his recovery.  There are no pre-season injury rules on reporting, so everyone will just have to be patient and see what transpires as far as his PUP status.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

He may not play all year, but obviously Irsay doesn't want a half empty stadium so the Colts will never say it.

So Luck saying don't worry he will be back soon is him lying?

As far as Irsay not wanting a half empty stadium the tickets are already sold so a half empty stadium is a stretch and just an off the wall comment by you that has no backbone.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck will not be on the PUP list when the season starts. He will not be out the first 6 games of the season.

Worrying and fretting over this does no one any good.

Who's worried? This team is terrible without Luck and no better than .500 with him?

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Who's worried? This team is terrible without Luck and no better than .500 with him?

Worrying about it wont bring Luck back any sooner. There is nothing that can be done about it one way or another. That's the way of the NFL, been that way for ever.

21 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

With each passing day, the chance of Luck playing in game one drops.  We all knew this was a possibility. a great timeline was sill cutting it close, and seems to be still is. I still hope he is active before the season begins and he doesn't end up on Reserve PUP.  But I feel it will take 2-3 weeks of team practice drills with the team to be truly ready.  He may be activated to the roster sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, but that alone doesn't mean he' ll be ready to play right away.

My hope his 'reported' throwing (30 yd finesse passes) at this point is for strength and conditioning reps, and not still in the 'light tossing' stages of his recovery.  There are no pre-season injury rules on reporting, so everyone will just have to be patient and see what transpires as far as his PUP status.

He will be ready game one because the surgeon had needle and thread in hand and was watching the clock as it ticked to the exact second where he could finish the last stitch that would allow them to remove him from the PUP list JIT (just in time) for the season opener..... its all good.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, gspdx said:

I wouldn't plan to see him play week 1.  I am more concerned about making sure that shoulder is really ready to go.  With no real practice yet trying to get that shoulder in throwing shape in the next couple of weeks could be a problem.

like to see him ready by playoffs...... oh wait  

On 8/21/2017 at 11:00 AM, ColtsArmy84 said:

Why would they do that?