Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr.Ballard.... where is the OL and DL improvement?

AustexColt

You said since you were hired that we will be better on OL and DL. That it all begins there.....  I don't see it. I hope you can still fix it before the season starts. Was it the coaching or the stable of players that is just not making it happen?

I will add that our secondary sucks and they can't play physical or tackle even after the receivers catches the ball. Its heart breaking. Tell the DB's the honest truth about their capabilities. Maybe then, they may play with some urgency that their career is on the line. Pagano is a DB coach and I am dumbfounded by the lack of production in that area.

That is what these guys say.... and we just sit here waiting. Bellichek does not use that as an excuse. You either perform or your out of the lineup. He holds nobody as prima donna even less marginally talented players. This is a paying sport where the objective is to WIN. 

He cant just waive a magic wand and magically turn a bad roster into a good one. He has even said as much. Players need time to gel together on defense and our offense is missing key players. 

Expecting these things to happen by week 2 of the preseason of a new GMs first year is ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

That is what these guys say.... and we just sit here waiting. Bellichek does not use that as an excuse. You either perform or your out of the lineup. He holds nobody as prima donna even less marginally talented players. This is a paying sport where the objective is to WIN. 

That's true what you say. However BB also has the quality depth to freely let anyone who doesn't produce go. unfortunately CB is still rewriting the mistake by our former GM

56 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

And that right there is why he's the greatest coach ever in any sport 

The rings help too 

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

You said since you were hired that we will be better on OL and DL. That it all begins there.....  I don't see it. I hope you can still fix it before the season starts. Was it the coaching or the stable of players that is just not making it happen?

I will add that our secondary sucks and they can't play physical or tackle even after the receivers catches the ball. Its heart breaking. Tell the DB's the honest truth about their capabilities. Maybe then, they may play with some urgency that their career is on the line. Pagano is a DB coach and I am dumbfounded by the lack of production in that area.

:troll:

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

i concur

grigs mistakes had a lot to do with our qb being banged up and remains to be seen if luck will ever be good again. ballard inherited a low talent team and he cant build it back in one off season. i think he has done great improving the talent level, give him a chance to work his magic. i for one see much improvement our division is one of the best in the nfl, will be hard to win it

2 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He cant just waive a magic wand and magically turn a bad roster into a good one. He has even said as much. Players need time to gel together on defense and our offense is missing key players. 

Expecting these things to happen by week 2 of the preseason of a new GMs first year is ridiculous. 

Yeah, people are always expecting everything to happen right now it's crazy. But unfortunately, that's the world we live in now everybody wants everything instantly people just needs to relax. Didn't Rodgers say that before and spelled it out for them? 

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

The OL from what I saw was actually better than what I saw week 1 and the DL was Horrendous

Belichick had Brady to cover up when his D messed up, we had Peyton to cover up for the longest time when our D messed up, we should know better. No coach magically transforms it in a few games. Sitting at 2-2, his OL hobbled after a KC Chiefs whipping on MNF, Belichick and Brady turned it around as the season went on and the OL got healthy. Yep, that mighty Belichick went 2-2, blasphemy!!! Seahawks go 6-4 after winning the SB and then go on a run that fell short of winning the SB by 1 play during the SAME 2014 season.

It is a confluence of several things - health, chemistry, continuity and coaching ON TOP OF TALENT. Nothing gets fixed instantly, even with the best talent, and needless to say, the season is a marathon. #whyamIevenrespondingtoatroll :dunno:

To answer the original posters question: "in a van down by the river"

NOT SUPER Seriously its (A) Pre-Season and (B) we haven't lost our two obligatory opening games and everything is doom and gloom yet........by week 3 you will be buying SB tickets at least mentally.....that's the way Colt fandom has worked the last couple of seasons.....juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust relaximus maximus

41 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The OL from what I saw was actually better than what I saw week 1 and the DL was Horrendous

I concur,  I was expecting the O-line to be worse than they where yesterday,  I was actually pleasantly surprised. That's not to say the O-line was good,  BUT they weren't the reason our O struggled so badly.  If a better QB was behind them we wouldn't be having this discussion. I was very disappointed in our so called "strength of the team" (the D-line) however. I had high hopes for them after all the hype we've been hearing coming from camp. 

58 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

This is a 2-year MINIMUM rebuild.  Probably more likely 3-4.  The talent was THAT bad.  I don't understand why this is so complicated.

No it wasn't.  A less talented 2016 Colt team was literally 3 plays away from winning 11 games.

This is definitely a rebuild. Roster was bad and if I'm 100% speculating I think Jim and Ballard have an understanding that this is more then a one year project and they gave Chuck this last season to see if maybe it all comes together for him and the team. If not Ballard isn't really at fault (Jim takes the heat for Chris on this one), it wasn't his guy, so now he gets his own coach and the 2018 Colts become more competitive while the 2019 team and beyond becomes our new version of the 03'-06' Colts.

They don't have the players/toughness or coaching to be real players this season. 

It's understandable, it's sports. But I will be complaining as the year goes on :thmup:.