Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano and Colts to take a long look at the back up QB situation

RockThatBlue

I think we can all make it really quick and easy for them.

#1 = Luck

#2 = Battle between Tolzien and Morris.

That means Morris deserves some reps with the first team too. 

That is how the offseason should have started, and it makes no sense why we are even having this conversation.  

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think we can all make it really quick for them.

#1 = Luck

#2 = Battle between Tolzien and Morris.

That is how the offseason should have started, and it makes no sense why we are even having this conversation.  

I'd like to know what the coaches see in Walker. How he gets in before Morris does is mind boggling. 

5 minutes ago, Smitto said:

It would not be surprising if he still doesn't get 1st team reps, for the simple fact that we're talking about the Colts coaching staff.. Tolzien's short dump passes are not the way forward (literally). 

Morris is the only one out of the three willing to attempt to push the ball down field plus he is more accurate than walker. Tolzien plays it to safe with too many short passes.

5 minutes ago, Smitto said:

It would not be surprising if he still doesn't get 1st team reps, for the simple fact that we're talking about the Colts coaching staff.. Tolzien's short dump passes are not the way forward (literally). 

No matter what happens the rest of the way; we can all agree that Morris has been cheated out of opportunities.

He was bumped to last on the depth chart, and then responded by outplaying everyone healthy. We are seeing the same thing we saw from him last preseason. 

He should have had an opportunity to get first team reps, and he was just pushed to the side like camp fodder. 

13 minutes ago, Smitto said:

Yeah, we need 5 yards to 7 yards for a first down and he throws a 1-yard pass in traffic. He doesn't think out there. 

1 minute ago, colts8718 said:

Love my COLTS always root for them good or bad and it looks like they have some good young players that will take time. But its sad that I'm already looking forward to next years draft :sorry:

LOL!

I actually feel spoiled sometimes, because a long time ago (80s and early 90s) I used to look forward to the draft as soon as the draft ended.

I can handle a few down years from time-to-time. :)

1 hour ago, Susie Q said:

Well in my opinion for what it's worth Morris should be back up to Luck and play with the 1st & 2nd players. :hide:

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I don't mind experimenting with Walker but at this point he hasn't shown more than Morris and Tolzien hasn't either.  I know that Morris is playing against players that possibly will be cut but he deserves to at least follow Tolzien....

Both Susie Q & RR7 are exactly right. Morris deserves more action. I realize that Tolzien was mentored under Aaron Rogers in GB, but I want to win & Morris gives us a better shot at inching out a couple of wins than Scott does. College loyalty on my part only goes so far. Tolzien isn't the answer. Obviously, the search for a backup didn't go far enough in INDY. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'd like to know what the coaches see in Walker. How he gets in before Morris does is mind boggling. 

Totally agreed. I think that's an indictment on Chuck straight up.

I'm also rooting for Walker as he's a Colts, but he was at a small time school literally a couple of months ago. He should have been a practice squad project from the moment he got here.

Morris at least has been around for a while.

I think it's another example of the coach not knowing the roster our how to develop it correctly.

3 hours ago, open window said:

I'd like for the colts to give kapernick a look if 12 is out for any more than one game,

As much as I dislike Kap for kneeling for the National Anthem, he would be the best backup for us. I am for signing him at this point. In the end, only wins during the season will get us what we want. 

2 hours ago, IinD said:

Totally agreed. I think that's an indictment on Chuck straight up.

I'm also rooting for Walker as he's a Colts, but he was at a small time school literally a couple of months ago. He should have been a practice squad project from the moment he got here.

Morris at least has been around for a while.

I think it's another example of the coach not knowing the roster our how to develop it correctly.

:thanks:

Playing Walker with anyone except the scrubs is really dumb. You know you're not keeping 4 QB's and all playing Walker does is take away valuable reps for Morris. If you see something in practice that you don't like about Morris but see in preseason he gives you a better chance to win than Walker or Tolzien then you have to give him more reps. 

9 hours ago, Irsay420 said:

We need to give kap a chance. Dude can play. He doesnt start over luck but hes bettet than the other 3 options we have

Sent from my SM-G935P *

Kap is not good. He was a 1 hit wonder and his skill set does not fit with what the Colts do. We have trouble blocking straight up. Get a guy out of the pocket and ask the Oline to block longer spells disaster. To play Kap you'd have to change the style of offense you run just to switch back when Luck returns, not a productive strategy. 

2 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

Kap is not good. He was a 1 hit wonder and his skill set does not fit with what the Colts do. We have trouble blocking straight up. Get a guy out of the pocket and ask the Oline to block longer spells disaster. To play Kap you'd have to change the style of offense you run just to switch back when Luck returns, not a productive strategy. 

I disagree. Kap can actually throw more than 5 yards down the field and score tds. Tolzien couldnt start for the jets. That is how bad he is. Kap would also open up running lanes for mack. If you want a repeat of 2011 keep tolzien under center. The guy doesnt know how to find the endzone and rarily gets first downs. Even Matt flynn was a better backup than him.

7 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

Kap is better than tolzien

I'm better than tolzien.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm better than Tolzien. You still don't change who you are temporarily to bring in a mediocre player at best. Besides, when was the last time he threw a ball in a real game?. By the time he's up to speed and you've got the rest of the team adjusted for his style of play Luck will be back. Kap under the center would be counter productive. Morris is the guy. He knows and plays our system well. Kap has only 2 season with over 3000 yards passing and only 1 with more than 20 TD's, 21.

11 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

I'm better than tolzien.

I'm better than Tolzien. You still don't change who you are temporarily to bring in a mediocre player at best. Besides, when was the last time he threw a ball in a real game?. By the time he's up to speed and you've got the rest of the team adjusted for his style of play Luck will be back. Kap under the center would be counter productive. Morris is the guy. He knows and plays our system well. Kap has only 2 season with over 3000 yards passing and only 1 with more than 20 TD's, 21.

anybody is better than tolzien at this point. I looked up the numbers and tolzien has a worse qb rating than Kerry Collins in his terrible 2011 play with the colts. The rams will shut us out with tolzien under center. Arizona prob would to. Seahwaks def would. The browns would beat us with tolzien under center. I can't stand the guy. My wife is a greenbay fan and we watched him come in when rodgers was hurt and stink it up and she was wondering why they ditched matt flynn for that guy.

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That was from packer fans. Flynn actually won them a game. Tolzien never did

Tolzien actually had a few games where he started due to Rodgers injury.  If I remember right he had 2 TD's to 7 INT's.

Honestly I don't know why when they decided to let Hasselbeck walk, right after he had to play half the season due to Luck being injured they decided that Tolzien was the answer at backup.  

51 minutes ago, Stephen said:

anybody is better than tolzien at this point. I looked up the numbers and tolzien has a worse qb rating than Kerry Collins in his terrible 2011 play with the colts. The rams will shut us out with tolzien under center. Arizona prob would to. Seahwaks def would. The browns would beat us with tolzien under center. I can't stand the guy. My wife is a greenbay fan and we watched him come in when rodgers was hurt and stink it up and she was wondering why they ditched matt flynn for that guy.

In total agreement on Tolzien. Kap is not now or ever will be an option or an answer. Play Morris, find a quality pocket passer.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Tolzien actually had a few games where he started due to Rodgers injury.  If I remember right he had 2 TD's to 7 INT's.

Honestly I don't know why when they decided to let Hasselbeck walk, right after he had to play half the season due to Luck being injured they decided that Tolzien was the answer at backup.  

I believe he had 1 td and 5ints either way he was bad.

4 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

In total agreement on Tolzien. Kap is not now or ever will be an option or an answer. Play Morris, find a quality pocket passer.

I was more saying kap was better than tolzien than he is the answer. He did have 16tds to 4ints last year. Tolzien has gotten us a whopping 1 first down so far in preseason. I think Painter could manage that

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

morris should get the job over tolzien

imo we will probably lose with kap, tolzien or morris, with morris giving us the best chance to win

kapernick went 1-10 last year

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

morris should get the job over tolzien

imo we will probably lose with kap, tolzien or morris, with morris giving us the best chance to win

kapernick went 1-10 last year

Yea despite having a 16 to 4 td to int ratio