Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 who impressed

hambone35

Mack, obviously

Bond

Haeg

Mewhort

Tolzien (other than he needs to learn to pass the ball beyond the 1st down marker on 3rd down, that drives me nuts)  but other than that, he had good throws all night, good decisions and hung tough in the pocket even though he was about to get it.  But he needs to start converting 3rd downs or he should be booted.

TJ Green - again.

Wilson

Farley

Natson

Not impressed by:

Walker

Pope

Any TE not named Doyle

D.Butler

Hankins

Whoever that LCB was before Green came in.

Monachino (I usually don't talk in absolutes but he is the worst DC in the NFL right now).  People can say he needs talent but talent is not the problem (not that the Colts are loaded with it) but when you see the same openings in the same type of plays no matter who is on the field then the problem is scheme not talent.

If we are forced to keep Phil I dont see bad value with having access to him and Natson at the same time. It seems like no one can cover Natson. The defense almost knows the ball is going to him and he still gets open. He has all the qualities we thought we would get out of Phil at a much cheaper price. Nat has some Welker like qualities when it comes to getting open.

8 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Mack looked REALLY good

Natson Jr, again

Farley

Green looked ok, really scrappy

Morris even though they only play him against scrubs, I would love to see him start.  Scott is like watching paint dry he did have a high completion % though.

Scott is the type of player that could put up a 30 of 34 stat line for 200 yards 0tds and 0ints and colts lose 35 to 0 to rams. He just doesnt know what the endzone is

Hopefully we can get Luck back by the first game. I think this offense can be special with Mack and Turbin carrying along with Gore. Running game should be much better. Thats going to be the biggest thing that takes the heat off Luck.

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack, obviously

Bond

Haeg

Mewhort

Tolzien (other than he needs to learn to pass the ball beyond the 1st down marker on 3rd down, that drives me nuts)  but other than that, he had good throws all night, good decisions and hung tough in the pocket even though he was about to get it.  But he needs to start converting 3rd downs or he should be booted.

TJ Green - again.

Wilson

Farley

Natson

Not impressed by:

Walker

Pope

Any TE not named Doyle

D.Butler

Hankins

Monachino (I usually don't talk in absolutes but he is the worst DC in the NFL right now).  People can say he needs talent but talent is not the problem (not that the Colts are loaded with it) but when you see the same openings in the same type of plays no matter who is on the field then the problem is scheme not talent.

I agree the bubble screens are always open. Drives me nuts

I like where TJ Green is at. Need to see a little bit more. I sort of think it wouldnt be too bad with him and Hooker at the safety spots if we need it. Glad hes learning corner though. Need more capabled people at those depth spots. People who can actually play on the outside island. I do like Hairston and Blackmon potentially at the Nickel and Dime spots maybe. And of course you can always use Butler there. I like where Quincy Wilson is at.

34 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack, obviously

Bond

Haeg

Mewhort

TJ Green - again.

Wilson

Farley

Natson

Not impressed by:

Walker

Pope

Any TE not named Doyle

D.Butler

Hankins

Doyle getting tackled before the line of gain on the first possession was disappointing. Our guys go down too easily at times.

36 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack, obviously

Bond

Haeg

Mewhort

TJ Green - again.

Wilson

Farley

Natson

Not impressed by:

Walker

Pope

Any TE not named Doyle

D.Butler

Hankins

Daryl Daniels made some nice blocks out there

The Good

. John Simon continues to impress. Holds a great edge. Looks like he belongs as a starter.

. Quincy Wilson is showing early signs of no.2 ability. Great pass-breakup on the tight slant.

. Marlon Mack showed some good stuff. Interested to see more in the dress rehearsal game.

. TJ Green gained huge respect from me the last 2 weeks. Impressed by his overall growth. 

. Stephen Morris. He is making the no.2 QB spot a legitimately interesting battle. 

The Bad

. Interior Oline minus Ryan Kelly is having big time problems. If I was Ballard I'd be shopping.

. Phillip Walker. Stop. Just stop. Comedy of errors. 

. ILBs had issues with the run all day (even if it was against the Cowboys). 

. Tevin Mitchell got abused, again. Rashaan Melvin didn't help his cause either.

Just after a first watch, that's what immediately jumped out. 

A lot of preseason play time left and still starting spots up for grabs.

The Good

Grover - fast and commanded a double team, while not giving up ground or he got penetration. Might be a starter in place of Anderson who has shown very little.

Wilson - skills are there. He should be starter.

Mack - earned more snaps (preferably with the ones). Would love to see him get more screens or edge runs. He seems twice as fast to the hole as any of our other backs and more elusive.

Heag - good run/pass blocking with athelticism to pull on screens.

Bond - played very well sans on bull rush. 

Green - first snaps as CB and he looked OK. If he learns to play free (not thinking or scared of being pulled) the skies the limit.

Ridgeway - good penetration and holding his line. Same with NT from TN.

VINNY

The Bad

OC play calling not putting QB's & RB's in better situations for their strengths. (Screens, more dump passes, shorter WR picks) (end arounds, why run everything up the gut?, RB split out empty backfield).

Hankins - turns his back to line to much and over pursues.

No edge pass rush. ZERO

Melvin, Mitchel, etc 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Jonathan Cooper looked good playing for the Cowboys..... even with his struggles he was a better option then who we had at our guard spots besides mewhort 

Cowboys will more then likely have an O line full of pretty much first rounders!! how about they share some of the good linemen :(

yeah I agree. If the cowboys release any linemen we should jump on signing them Asap

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack, obviously

Bond

Haeg

Mewhort

TJ Green - again.

Wilson

Farley

Natson

Not impressed by:

Walker

Pope

Any TE not named Doyle

D.Butler

Hankins

Melvin.....

9 hours ago, krunk said:

If we are forced to keep Phil I dont see bad value with having access to him and Natson at the same time. It seems like no one can cover Natson. The defense almost knows the ball is going to him and he still gets open. He has all the qualities we thought we would get out of Phil at a much cheaper price. Nat has some Welker like qualities when it comes to getting open.

i concur

9 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

The Good

Grover - fast and commanded a double team, while not giving up ground or he got penetration. Might be a starter in place of Anderson who has shown very little.

Wilson - skills are there. He should be starter.

Mack - earned more snaps (preferably with the ones). Would love to see him get more screens or edge runs. He seems twice as fast to the hole as any of our other backs and more elusive.

Heag - good run/pass blocking with athelticism to pull on screens.

Bond - played very well sans on bull rush. 

Green - first snaps as CB and he looked OK. If he learns to play free (not thinking or scared of being pulled) the skies the limit.

Ridgeway - good penetration and holding his line. Same with NT from TN.

VINNY

The Bad

OC play calling not putting QB's & RB's in better situations for their strengths. (Screens, more dump passes, shorter WR picks) (end arounds, why run everything up the gut?, RB split out empty backfield).

Hankins - turns his back to line to much and over pursues.

No edge pass rush. ZERO

Melvin, Mitchel, etc 

We've been running tons of screens the whole preseason.

PFF TOP 5 GRADES

HB Marlon Mack, 84.1 overall grade

WR JoJo Natson, 83.0 overall grade

Joe Haeg, 82.1 overall grade

Le’Raven Clark, 81.7 overall grade

ED Akeem Ayers, 80.7 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

HB Marlon Mack, 84.1 overall grade

Mack finished the game with not only a team-high grade, but also a game-high run grade of 81.9. He forced five total missed tackles on just seven total touches and an incredible 542.9 elusive rating. Albeit a small sample size, the rookie from USF looked impressive touting the ball against the Cowboys.

I would say the obvious is Mack, Simon, Wilson (until he left the game), Natson, and Morris (still getting garbage time for some reason).

Green for the first time at CB in a game really showed some ability.  I like this move if he continues to improve.

Haeg and Bond to me did pretty well.  Haeg is solid and Bond has looked pretty good with getting thrown in and was a UDFA who was looked at as PS at best.