Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run Defense

Smonroe

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

How was it ever a strength? Better on paper doesnt mean anything until they prove it.

Every rotation got run on.  Even with the Dallas second team line.  

People were worried we were going to have to cut some really good players.  I didn't see too many tonight.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Every rotation got run on.  Even with the Dallas second team line.  

People were worried we were going to have to cut some really good players.  I didn't see too many tonight.  

And same old sloppy play. 

Dak was flawless in that first drive. I bet they would have scored at will on us if this was a real game.

It looks same old same old to me.

Just now, gacoop1 said:

Color Pagano gone after the 2nd regular season game, b/c they'll be 0-2.  HC just not a good coach, Ballard gave him a chance, just didn't panned out....

The problem with that is the season is just about done then.  They'd elevate Chud and he'd run the same plays.  Nothing would really change.  

I can see him being axed if Luck plays and we're out of the playoffs though.  

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I can't use this game as a barometer.  This is Dallas and possibly the best OL in the NFL.  We have a bunch of "parts" trying to get together.  Lemme see another week.

What's bad is that we're going to have another week of anemic QB play, the D will be on the field too much, and Pittsburgh will roll on us even without Bell.  

I'd love to hear how they're going to justify playing Walker over Morris again. 

Just now, Smonroe said:

What's bad is that we're going to have another week of anemic QB play, the D will be on the field too much, and Pittsburgh will roll on us even without Bell.  

I'd love to hear how they're going to justify playing Walker over Morris again. 

I don't think they can.  Morris has earned at LEAST 2nd team reps, if not 1st team at this point.

I was at the game in Jacksonville in '06 when the Jags had 375 yards on them. All seemed lost as far as a SB but Dungy said they just had to work on technique. How did that work out? 

I know that was a different team but the point is, things can be corrected. 

I think it's good for them to see where they have to get to by playing a great Oline.

Maybe what we saw tonight was their best, maybe they'll improve after playing together, as the Cowboy's line has, maybe not. We shall see....

I was hoping for better without Zeke playing, but I don't think anyone really thought the Colts D was going to come out tonight looking like the Steel Curtain against the best OLine in the league.

We've got some work to do.  Well, Chuck has some work to do, but there is definitely potential in this team if everything comes together just right.

24 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I was at the game in Jacksonville in '06 when the Jags had 375 yards on them. All seemed lost as far as a SB but Dungy said they just had to work on technique. How did that work out? 

I know that was a different team but the point is, things can be corrected. 

I think it's good for them to see where they have to get to by playing a great Oline.

Maybe what we saw tonight was their best, maybe they'll improve after playing together, as the Cowboy's line has, maybe not. We shall see....

We have been working on the run defense with this staff for 5 years. Not going to fix it by next week. Are backside technique is terrible. All coaching.

1 minute ago, JMichael557 said:

We have been working on the run defense with this staff for 5 years. Not going to fix it by next week. Are backside technique is terrible. All coaching.

Not to mention how many times their safety valve was left wide open.   

We can't keep using the excuse that Dallas has a great O line to account for poor positioning and bad tackling.  

I realize that this D hasn't played together and is learning by fire.  I just hoped they would have picked it up faster.  

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

So, if a player is coached to protect the backside and doesn't do it, it's coaching? At what point are the players held accountable?

The Colts are definitely gonna get better on defense, they have the players to make it happen. It's up to the coaches now to put the best players on the field. If Pagano can't take advantage of the players he has on defense then he needs to leave. 

1 hour ago, Smitto said:

The Colts are definitely gonna get better on defense, they have the players to make it happen. It's up to the coaches now to put the best players on the field. If Pagano can't take advantage of the players he has on defense then he needs to leave. 

The Colts are getting better on defense. Oh, maybe not getting good at that "tackle" thingy just yet, but they have absolutely perfected the "whiff" move. It was pure poetry in motion last night. There was magic in the air, and the Colts spent most of the night grabbing the magic. They just weren't grabbing anything that resembled a ball carrier. 

42 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

The Colts are getting better on defense. Oh, maybe not getting good at that "tackle" thingy just yet, but they have absolutely perfected the "whiff" move. It was pure poetry in motion last night. There was magic in the air, and the Colts spent most of the night grabbing the magic. They just weren't grabbing anything that resembled a ball carrier. 

Well I wouldn't say that hit to jar the ball last night was a whiff... They have the main culprits that throw their bodies around and hope they make a tackle like Butler and Melvin sometimes but the talent is slowly fixing that problem as they get better players through free agency and the draft.

10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

So, if a player is coached to protect the backside and doesn't do it, it's coaching? At what point are the players held accountable?

If a team runs a bootleg and we have no backside contain or if a back cuts back and we have zero backside contain that is coaching. Either the players are not being taught, not getting it or they are being told to ignore the backside and just flow to the ball. All coaching. If a player does have backside contain and misses a tackle then that is on the player. 

11 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Color Pagano gone after the 2nd regular season game, b/c they'll be 0-2.  HC just not a good coach, Ballard gave him a chance, just didn't panned out....

I'd be willing to put money that no way in the world does Pagano get fired after the first few games and I'd doubt in this season but I will go on record (again) I do not like Pagano as a coach for this team, his instincts are awful and whatever or however he is teaching and planning has been horrific over his tenure. He is a good human being and humble man but he isn't NFL quality material as a head coach and I'm not even sure he would succeed somewhere as a DC these days. He piggybacked off of the dominate Baltimore defense with a super talented group with Ray Lewis playing. Maybe he can land a DB coach job somewhere after this or a college HC job someplace because unless there is a drastic change in this team over the year, he will not be here next season but I just can't see Irsay having a coaching change in season with Chuck. Afterwards I can but not in season and certainly not early. 

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I'd be willing to put money that no way in the world does Pagano get fired after the first few games and I'd doubt in this season but I will go on record (again) I do not like Pagano as a coach for this team, his instincts are awful and whatever or however he is teaching and planning has been horrific over his tenure. He is a good human being and humble man but he isn't NFL quality material as a head coach and I'm not even sure he would succeed somewhere as a DC these days. He piggybacked off of the dominate Baltimore defense with a super talented group with Ray Lewis playing. Maybe he can land a DB coach job somewhere after this or a college HC job someplace because unless there is a drastic change in this team over the year, he will not be here next season but I just can't see Irsay having a coaching change in season with Chuck. Afterwards I can but not in season and certainly not early. 

If we are that bad early he will be gone.