Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne

TKnight24

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

They got called for 14 penalties last week. They weren't able to match the Lions level of physicality or intensity, on any unit other than special teams. This is after they spent all summer talking about ramping up the level of physicality, being a tough and disciplined team, etc. 

They played Tolzien for 11 snaps, as if he's a well established veteran QB who doesn't need all the work he can get. This is after they spent all offseason talking about the value of competition.

They let Tevin Mitchel get cooked at corner, two weeks in a row. If he can't cover -- and he clearly can't cover -- get him off the field. 

Pagano seems more intense than before, but that's just his words. In practice, I don't see a staff that appears to be doing all they can to get their team ready for the season, one in which their star QB might not be ready until who knows when. It's like 'hey everybody, let's just get loose and warmed up, and when Luck comes back everything will be taken care of.' 

I keep saying, I'm not worried about the score, but when watching, I see a listless team that isn't competing on the field. It's bothering me because, if you don't have Luck, everyone else has to carry more of the load, including the coaches, and that's not happening so far in preseason. They don't have their backup QBs ready to play. They don't have their defensive players ready to tackle or cover. I'm talking about basic stuff, not gameplans or play calls. Just the way the team looks, there's no real sense of urgency, and this is about the most urgent preseason we've had since 2011. 

LOL, Super! You're normally fairly calm, analyzing things without emotions, but one can easily tell that you are * with this team's performance! I can't remember you being so aggravated before, so I clearly take note of that change. Now I'm very concerned. I was ready for a built-up year, but you just took all my optimism away! haha

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

LOL, Super! You're normally fairly calm, analyzing things without emotions, but one can easily tell that you are * with this team's performance! I can't remember you being so aggravated before, so I clearly take note of that change. Now I'm very concerned. I was ready for a built-up year, but you just took all my optimism away! haha

Yeah, don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I was hoping to see a physical, intense team in preseason, and I don't. 

TY didn't play very much tonight. Moncrief has been out, Kelly's out, etc. If you have your best players on the field, they'll make plays for you. So I know we're not watching the finished product. Same on defense.

But guys like Melvin, Mitchel, Bond (he can snap, but he can't block), Redmond (maybe he can block, but he can't snap), and others, to me, don't really belong on the field. They're liabilities. Walker doesn't belong on the field. We can't execute a screen play without a penalty. We can run a draw play without blockers running into each other. The players that are out there don't look well coached, and that bothers me because it has nothing to do with Luck or any other injuries.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I was hoping to see a physical, intense team in preseason, and I don't. 

TY didn't play very much tonight. Moncrief has been out, Kelly's out, etc. If you have your best players on the field, they'll make plays for you. So I know we're not watching the finished product. Same on defense.

But guys like Melvin, Mitchel, Bond (he can snap, but he can't block), Redmond (maybe he can block, but he can't snap), and others, to me, don't really belong on the field. They're liabilities. Walker doesn't belong on the field. We can't execute a screen play without a penalty. We can run a draw play without blockers running into each other. The players that are out there don't look well coached, and that bothers me because it has nothing to do with Luck or any other injuries.

Yeah, I wonder whether Ballard and Irsay looked into other each the eyes after the match and went "Are we going to accept this * a whole season or not?" 

My assessment appears similar to what you are saying.  The team doesn't have that fire in them and that's the reflection on the coaching staff and it starts with the Head Coach.  I believe Pagano aside from being an incompetent, he does not hold his players accountable, does not hold his coaching staff accountable, and the end result is what we just saw tonight at Dallas.  Had this been a regular season game, it's a definite loss and would be a rout.  So, Pagano needs to go and Ballard needs to hire his own HC and his coaching staff so they can get the most out of their players......Note: a new coach in the LA Rams are 2 and 0, whereas Pagano has been coaching for years, always start out in the preseason, let alone regular season on loosing streak.....

Just now, John Waylon said:

I'm interested in seeing Morris get a shot at the next step.

However, I don't think it matters who is in at #1 QB, this coaching staff is just a waste. I've long been off the Pagano bandwagon, but I tried to come into this season with an open mind that he could win me back over. That maybe all of the issues prior were Grigson related.

I'm already back off the bandwagon.

There's just so many fundamental things that we do wrong. So many little things that Pagano just doesn't clean up.

It truly is a waste while he's at the helm.

who would have guessed it? 5 years of terrible coaching 3 straight 0-2 starts .. who would have guessed that year 6 SIX!! would be no different lol.. especially without Andrew carrying the team on his back.

4 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Pagano apologists and Pagano internet defense force are gonna have their work cut out for them this year 

He needs more time!!! 5 full flipping seasons i guess isn't enough to see he isn't very good lol he's prolly the most average coach in the league 

As much as I'd like to find a scapegoat for the lame play, I don't think you can blame Pagano (yet). Between not having the difference makers available and running vanilla scheme's, what you're seeing is a team that has no depth- that's not a coaching issue, exclusively.

I'm all for bringing Grigson back on a one day contract, so that we can fire him again. I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, but this team is going to lose at least 3 seasons to his genius. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, I wonder whether Ballard and Irsay looked into other each the eyes after the match and went "Are we going to accept this * a whole season or not?" 

I wonder if they've decided to rest the fans until next year because it is just too painful to watch?

9 hours ago, Superman said:

They got called for 14 penalties last week. They weren't able to match the Lions level of physicality or intensity, on any unit other than special teams. This is after they spent all summer talking about ramping up the level of physicality, being a tough and disciplined team, etc. 

They played Tolzien for 11 snaps, as if he's a well established veteran QB who doesn't need all the work he can get. This is after they spent all offseason talking about the value of competition.

They let Tevin Mitchel get cooked at corner, two weeks in a row. If he can't cover -- and he clearly can't cover -- get him off the field. 

Pagano seems more intense than before, but that's just his words. In practice, I don't see a staff that appears to be doing all they can to get their team ready for the season, one in which their star QB might not be ready until who knows when. It's like 'hey everybody, let's just get loose and warmed up, and when Luck comes back everything will be taken care of.' 

I keep saying, I'm not worried about the score, but when watching, I see a listless team that isn't competing on the field. It's bothering me because, if you don't have Luck, everyone else has to carry more of the load, including the coaches, and that's not happening so far in preseason. They don't have their backup QBs ready to play. They don't have their defensive players ready to tackle or cover. I'm talking about basic stuff, not gameplans or play calls. Just the way the team looks, there's no real sense of urgency, and this is about the most urgent preseason we've had since 2011. 

Can't find anything that I can argue with here.  Good post.  Thanks for the clarification.

I've said it all along, it falls on the coaches lap the scheme, the calls and coaching.  This coaching staff is the pits, overhaul it and bring Ballard's people.  This staff from the old regime(Grigson), need to drain from the left over.

18 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I love Reggie, and do not mind one bit that he is voicing his concerns. I welcome his thoughts. 

That said, he should know better than most people that there is no point in bringing in another quarterback. It is too late in the season for that. We have to roll with what we have. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Morris overthrew everyone last week. Tolzien hasn't overthrown anyone in two games.

I agree with you Supe but I also know where everyone else is coming from. Sure he isn't overthrowing anyone but that is also because I'd bet 90% of his throws are 7yds or less...most check downs to Rbs and TEs. He doesn't stretch the field. What good is completing a pass in third down and 9-10 if you throw a 6 yard out? Granted he isn't going to turn it over but he isn't going to test a defense. If there was a comparable qb out there it would be Trevor Simien....just we don't have the defense he has to keep him in the game long enough to give him time to put together a 10+ play drive necessary to get the ball down the field. I'm not hating on Tolzien but he is very limited. If we knew we would be without Luck for multiple games and it seems that way it would have been nice to roll the dice this offseason to take a chance on a qb and had Tolzien as a break glass if necessary. Granted there aren't many out there but a Brian Hoyer or josh Mcowen would have be worth it. Heck even a Blaine Gabbert is an upgrade to Tolzien but at this point it's too late to bring someone in. Just hope our playmakers show up week 1 and Luck gets healthy fast.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Exactly!! Not impressed with the coaching jobs done so far. They preach competition but they sure aren't playing with their hair on fire to make the team. It's like everyone is waiting around for Luck to show up and save the day....including the coaches!! We all know how Peyton faired when he didn't get much offseason work when he had his knee cleaned up...even if Luck comes back by week 3 or 4 it might take him til week 6 to get in a rythem. Season might be lost by then. Honestly if I'm Andrew Luck after seeing the train wreck we are I hold out for a raise....he clearly deserves it!! This franchise is essentially the Cleveland Browns/Jaguars if we don't have him.

Totally agree with Superman!!The lions game was worrisome to me because they had scrimmages that week and still look lost! I try not to read much in preseason going back to the Manning era, but this team looks terribly in unprepared. How can you practice against someone and not learn anything? Wanted to give Pags a fair chance but it comes down to coaching!!

4 hours ago, coltsfan77 said:

Totally agree with Superman!!The lions game was worrisome to me because they had scrimmages that week and still look lost! I try not to read much in preseason going back to the Manning era, but this team looks terribly in unprepared. How can you practice against someone and not learn anything? Wanted to give Pags a fair chance but it comes down to coaching!!

According to the reports, they were terrible during those joint practices. 

23 hours ago, James said:

It's not that he didn't miss a lot of throws, but more on his inability or unwillingness to make difficult throws of which there were some opportunities to make. Could also reflect conservative play calling, but then again, I think that's exactly because the coaches are aware of Tolzien' limitations.

Furthermore, he is not brave in the pocket, in fact he looks more on the timid side. When plays break down he simply doesn't show any playmaking ability. I'd prefer a backup of higher quality as I don't see Tolzien being able to contribute to this team winning games against NFL starters.

i concur

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

As much as I'd like to find a scapegoat for the lame play, I don't think you can blame Pagano (yet). Between not having the difference makers available and running vanilla scheme's, what you're seeing is a team that has no depth- that's not a coaching issue, exclusively.

I'm all for bringing Grigson back on a one day contract, so that we can fire him again. I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, but this team is going to lose at least 3 seasons to his genius. 

i concur

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree with you Supe but I also know where everyone else is coming from. Sure he isn't overthrowing anyone but that is also because I'd bet 90% of his throws are 7yds or less...most check downs to Rbs and TEs. He doesn't stretch the field. What good is completing a pass in third down and 9-10 if you throw a 6 yard out? Granted he isn't going to turn it over but he isn't going to test a defense. If there was a comparable qb out there it would be Trevor Simien....just we don't have the defense he has to keep him in the game long enough to give him time to put together a 10+ play drive necessary to get the ball down the field. I'm not hating on Tolzien but he is very limited. If we knew we would be without Luck for multiple games and it seems that way it would have been nice to roll the dice this offseason to take a chance on a qb and had Tolzien as a break glass if necessary. Granted there aren't many out there but a Brian Hoyer or josh Mcowen would have be worth it. Heck even a Blaine Gabbert is an upgrade to Tolzien but at this point it's too late to bring someone in. Just hope our playmakers show up week 1 and Luck gets healthy fast.

I'm not arguing that he's been impressive. I just don't think he's been nearly as bad as people are saying. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Superman said:

I'm not arguing that he's been impressive. I just don't think he's been nearly as bad as people are saying. 

Yep...that ship has sailed...he is the man and its too late to do anything about it. This has been Ballards first failing grade for me is not having the foresight to back up Luck when he must have had pretty good knowledge he was going to miss time...and now possibly significant time. Like I said there weren't a ton of options out there in FA but even the ones I mentioned would have been upgrades and likely good enough to win a few games in Lucks absence. At this point the only upgrade out there is Colin Kapernick and we know that aint happening....He created competition at every spot...except backup qb in my opinion...he should have brought someone into camp to push Tolzien or maybe be an upgrade....we had the money. I do agree Scott isn't awful...but he is very very safe....bordering on too safe. I would say even a Nick Foles trade after they landed Mahomes might have been a possibility but again...crying over spilled milk. I think Scott can be serviceable....come in and keep the ship afloat for a half or several series...but I don't think he is someone I want to game plan for.

On 8/20/2017 at 3:16 AM, Superman said:

I agree super, but preseason is PRECISELY the time to throw guys to the wolves and see if they can handle it.  We have ALOT of guys we need to make decisions on.  I'd rather see them on the field than our known keepers.  This is the only real test before cuts are made.  If you arent sure about a guy, throw him out there and find out.

last i checked, our 2017 record is still 0-0.  W havent lost any games yet.  This preseason (record wise) isnt any worse than the last 20 years in my memory:

PLAY THE BUBBLE GUYS and find out what you have for depth.  As DEPTH will be VERY important , especially this year.

I do think the Colts need a better back up QB but that's not their only problem.  There are a decent amount of weak spots on this team.  I don't think Tolzein will win any regular season games as the starter but I am not sure Morris could either.  I'd rather role with Morris though, I think he has more up side.  I think if the Colts want to make a trade it should be for another quality corner back.  I still got my fingers crossed that Luck will be back week 1 or week 2 at the latest.  So I guess we'll see what happens!