Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne

TKnight24

24 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

But.... Tolzein knows the playbook.

:peek:

I guess since they want Luck and the rest of the offense to get back on track as quick as possible when he returns, they're gonna keep someone who is familiar with the offense so that the receivers and what not get used to it and there will be minimal adjusting when Luck comes back, rather than getting a backup and having to design (or at least change some parts) of the offense to better adjust for that back up. 

THat's literally the only thing I can think of. 

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I guess since they want Luck and the rest of the offense to get back on track as quick as possible when he returns, they're gonna keep someone who is familiar with the offense so that the receivers and what not get used to it and there will be minimal adjusting when Luck comes back, rather than getting a backup and having to design (or at least change some parts) of the offense to better adjust for that back up. 

THat's literally the only thing I can think of. 

Yeah thats what i heard yesterday. It makes sense i guess. Wow Tolzien about lost it just nkw

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tolzien isn't the problem. There are definitely better backup QBs, but this team is listless right now, and it's not the QB's fault. 

Tolzien is definitely the problem, there's no ifs or buts about it... An ok QB raises the level of the offense. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tolzien isn't the problem. There are definitely better backup QBs, but this team is listless right now, and it's not the QB's fault. 

Tolzien is not THE problem, but he's definitely plays a part in the offense being woeful.

The problems with this team right now are many. The OL isn't good enough to generate a reliable rushing attack, especially without Ryan Kelly. The defense is getting gashed at every level, due to a lack of talent and technique.

Tolzien is actually getting the ball out quickly and completing passes. He's no star QB, not even close, but this team has big problems that have very little to do with the QB. 

And I haven't even talked about the coaching.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

What did Tolzien do wrong today? He had one inaccurate throw to Hilton, other than that, he was fine. 

It's not that he didn't miss a lot of throws, but more on his inability or unwillingness to make difficult throws of which there were some opportunities to make. Could also reflect conservative play calling, but then again, I think that's exactly because the coaches are aware of Tolzien' limitations.

Furthermore, he is not brave in the pocket, in fact he looks more on the timid side. When plays break down he simply doesn't show any playmaking ability. I'd prefer a backup of higher quality as I don't see Tolzien being able to contribute to this team winning games against NFL starters.

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

No way would I trade for a backup QB. 

If we need to trade for anything, it should be a #2 corner.

And we should have made it work with Zuttah, for two years, $6m (what the Ravens gave him, and it doesn't sound like the Colts were even close). He could play center while Kelly is out, and he can play both guard positions in the event of injury, which is about the only thing you can count on happening with this team right now. 

I don't sense any kind of urgency from the staff right now.

Just now, James said:

It's not that he didn't miss a lot of throws, but more on his inability or unwillingness to make difficult throws of which there were some opportunities to make. Could also reflect conservative play calling, but then again, I think that's exactly because the coaches are aware of Tolzien' limitation. Furthermore. he is not brave in the pocket, in fact he looks more on the timid side. When plays breaks down he simply doesn't show any playmaking ability. I'd prefer a backup of higher quality as I don't see Tolzien being able to contribute to this team winning games against NFL starters.

He definitely panics when he gets pressured. That's not good. And I'd prefer a better backup also. 

But it's lazy to blame these performances on the QB. He's about the fifth issue in my eyes right now. 

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

If we need to trade for anything, it should be a #2 corner.

And we should have made it work with Zuttah, for two years, $6m (what the Ravens gave him, and it doesn't sound like the Colts were even close). He could play center while Kelly is out, and he can play both guard positions in the event of injury, which is about the only thing you can count on happening with this team right now. 

I don't sense any kind of urgency from the staff right now.

Thats because there isn't any urgency. Ballard has this job locked down. His goal is to slowly build not become contenders by seasons end. 

Evaluation year for pagano to him. Need players. Etc. I get excited for every season. I know I need to temper my excitement. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

Thats because there isn't any urgency. Ballard has this job locked down. His goal is to slowly build not become contenders by seasons end. 

Evaluation year for pagano to him. Need players. Etc. I get excited for every season. I know I need to temper my excitement. 

The staff should be coaching for their jobs, right? It doesn't look like it.

I'm interested in seeing Morris get a shot at the next step.

However, I don't think it matters who is in at #1 QB, this coaching staff is just a waste. I've long been off the Pagano bandwagon, but I tried to come into this season with an open mind that he could win me back over. That maybe all of the issues prior were Grigson related.

I'm already back off the bandwagon.

There's just so many fundamental things that we do wrong. So many little things that Pagano just doesn't clean up.

It truly is a waste while he's at the helm.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The staff should be coaching for their jobs, right? It doesn't look like it.

Agree.  But what are we basing this on?  Wins?  Playing the best players?

Preseason we play vanilla.  How much in-game adjustments do you make when you're just trying to get everyone to play as a good as they can as individuals and as a team?

I don't have the answer, just asking the question.  :D

3 hours ago, Superman said:

It was the last 2 preseason games.  Throwing checkdowns and the inability to get in the end zone is definitely at least 40% on the quarterback. I guarantee if andrew was playing we would've scored 7-14 in the first 2 drives. 

Luck won't be back until midseason, when he returns he'll be rusty, that's another two losses.  Team will end up maybe 6-10 at best.....Time to trade for a good back up, Garapolo or McClaren from the Bengals.....Make it happen Ballard...

45 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Luck won't be back until midseason, when he returns he'll be rusty, that's another two losses.  Team will end up maybe 6-10 at best.....Time to trade for a good back up, Garapolo or McClaren from the Bengals.....Make it happen Ballard...

Uh, no. Garrapolo would cost too much and McCarron isn't worth the price either. 

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree.  But what are we basing this on?  Wins?  Playing the best players?

Preseason we play vanilla.  How much in-game adjustments do you make when you're just trying to get everyone to play as a good as they can as individuals and as a team?

I don't have the answer, just asking the question.  :D

They got called for 14 penalties last week. They weren't able to match the Lions level of physicality or intensity, on any unit other than special teams. This is after they spent all summer talking about ramping up the level of physicality, being a tough and disciplined team, etc. 

They played Tolzien for 11 snaps, as if he's a well established veteran QB who doesn't need all the work he can get. This is after they spent all offseason talking about the value of competition.

They let Tevin Mitchel get cooked at corner, two weeks in a row. If he can't cover -- and he clearly can't cover -- get him off the field. 

Pagano seems more intense than before, but that's just his words. In practice, I don't see a staff that appears to be doing all they can to get their team ready for the season, one in which their star QB might not be ready until who knows when. It's like 'hey everybody, let's just get loose and warmed up, and when Luck comes back everything will be taken care of.' 

I keep saying, I'm not worried about the score, but when watching, I see a listless team that isn't competing on the field. It's bothering me because, if you don't have Luck, everyone else has to carry more of the load, including the coaches, and that's not happening so far in preseason. They don't have their backup QBs ready to play. They don't have their defensive players ready to tackle or cover. I'm talking about basic stuff, not gameplans or play calls. Just the way the team looks, there's no real sense of urgency, and this is about the most urgent preseason we've had since 2011.