Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Luck try to find a new team?

Mr.NotSoCreative

1 hour ago, Superman said:

These Colts are coached like they have the Hogs in front of the QB. I know the line isn't great, but the coaching makes it worse. 

"Lets send our three under 6' WR's down the field 20 yards, and have Luck take 7 step drop backs. And lets do this every play. This is the perfect game plan against every team in the NFL." - Indy Coaches

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I can't recall a franchise QB ever leaving a team because he may have thought the management wasn't doing their job or that the team stinks (correct me if I am wrong).

It is usually the other way around.  Management thought they drafted someone who would be the franchise QB and they didn't work out so they were traded.... i.e. RGIII among others.

Yeah, you got to give the new GM time to build the roster, not just one year. 

23 hours ago, Superman said:

The Manning Colts had a good offensive line until 2008. 

These Colts are coached like they have the Hogs in front of the QB. I know the line isn't great, but the coaching makes it worse. 

And how is this different than the past 3 years? The Colts brand has been severely trashed and all we get are excuses -- the blame game. It might take 3 - 5 years, if ever, to correct this.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, BR-549 said:

I can't recall a franchise QB ever leaving a team because he may have thought the management wasn't doing their job or that the team stinks (correct me if I am wrong).

It is usually the other way around.  Management thought they drafted someone who would be the franchise QB and they didn't work out so they were traded.... i.e. RGIII among others.

Carson Palmer says hi!

On 8/19/2017 at 1:25 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Since you are a Cubs fan I wont say anything bad about this thread but Luck will never leave nor will we trade him.

But maybe he retires early. I agree he would never do it but if I'm Andrew Luck I can't say I wouldn't think about it. Sure Colts fans would despise his decision but in the media his actions would be accepted. Imagine a Minnesota, Denver, Cincinnati, Arizona, KC with an Andrew Luck led team. Again it won't happen and it's almost impossible to get away because the Colts would have just done what Washington has with Cousins but let's not act like the media would crucify him if he asked to leave.

On August 19, 2017 at 0:34 PM, ND Irish said:

It is a worst nightmare for colts fans, myself included, but do you think Luck will try to get traded in the next couple years? Say New England? It seems as though the Colts brass have tried to get the guy killed, lacerated kidney, shoulder, list is lengthy. How can you consistently not protect your best player? Our back ups should have fear for their careers. 

Dear God...

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But maybe he retires early. I agree he would never do it but if I'm Andrew Luck I can't say I wouldn't think about it. Sure Colts fans would despise his decision but in the media his actions would be accepted. Imagine a Minnesota, Denver, Cincinnati, Arizona, KC with an Andrew Luck led team. Again it won't happen and it's almost impossible to get away because the Colts would have just done what Washington has with Cousins but let's not act like the media would crucify him if he asked to leave.

Yeah he could always be an architect I guess

On 8/19/2017 at 0:34 PM, ND Irish said:

It is a worst nightmare for colts fans, myself included, but do you think Luck will try to get traded in the next couple years? Say New England? It seems as though the Colts brass have tried to get the guy killed, lacerated kidney, shoulder, list is lengthy. How can you consistently not protect your best player? Our back ups should have fear for their careers. 

luck is too expensive for the patriots

they wouldnt pay that much for him, when they can win with JG 

Elway was able to snooker Irsay the Older into trading him to Denver. Maybe Luck will do the same thing with Irsay the Younger some day. Certainly wouldn't blame him for trying. He is more likely to realize he's stuck and will retire sooner than later. The alternative is brain damage and drooling in his soup by age 50.

1 minute ago, bluxco said:

NO----the COLTS should get rid of him and find a new qb------i said this from day 1-----THE COLTS will never win with ANDREW LUCK

Wow, the hot takes really are rolling in. Tell me when there's a QB of Luck's caliber in the draft. Then I might approve your plan.

4 hours ago, CoachLite said:

And how is this different than the past 3 years? The Colts brand has been severely trashed and all we get are excuses -- the blame game. It might take 3 - 5 years, if ever, to correct this.

All it takes is a good OC. I was hopeful for Chud, but not anymore. 

Isn't that Ballards job?

My estimation of the situation is Ballard took over a team with a suspect O-Line (but a lot of young recently added talent that had promise) and NO defense. He did what any reasonable person would do when faced with a challenge that cannot be fully overcome in one off season, he looked at the O-Line and said well lets take the stance even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut in regard to the O-line, and I will work on building the defense first......

On 8/19/2017 at 0:48 PM, BR-549 said:

Exactly. . . 

And it's not like this is the first time a franchise QB has been saddled with a bad team around him.  

Phillip Rivers for example.  

14 hours ago, crunked said:

Isn't that Ballards job?

My estimation of the situation is Ballard took over a team with a suspect O-Line (but a lot of young recently added talent that had promise) and NO defense. He did what any reasonable person would do when faced with a challenge that cannot be fully overcome in one off season, he looked at the O-Line and said well lets take the stance even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut in regard to the O-line, and I will work on building the defense first......

Looking back, even to the time of AQ Shipley and Mike McGlynn, the problem (I attribute to Chuck Pagano) is an inadequate strategy for player development. Many on this forum complain of the lack of player talent. It may not be the best, however, many of the tactics Pagano employs are de-motivational (musical chair positions for D. Good, demoting Morris, underdevelopment of A. Luck ... I could go on). With many players, it is not how they perform at some moment in time, but how well they are coached and receptive to making dramatic improvements in the future. Yes, this was made worse by Grigson's "looking for a diamond in the rough" approach. No one in the Colts could cut and polish a diamond. Together, that duo made a perfect storm for underperformance.

7 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Looking back, even to the time of AQ Shipley and Mike McGlynn, the problem (I attribute to Chuck Pagano) is an inadequate strategy for player development. Many on this forum complain of the lack of player talent. It may not be the best, however, many of the tactics Pagano employs are de-motivational (musical chair positions for D. Good, demoting Morris, underdevelopment of A. Luck ... I could go on). With many players, it is not how they perform at some moment in time, but how well they are coached and receptive to making dramatic improvements in the future. Yes, this was made worse by Grigson's "looking for a diamond in the rough" approach. No one in the Colts could cut and polish a diamond. Together, that duo made a perfect storm for underperformance.

That's an interesting take.....and there may be some truth behind it, I guess this season with Grigson out of the picture should reveal how much truth is within your assessment. I know the inability to maximize talent and in flexibility in scheme have been pretty frustrating to watch the last couple of seasons.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Superman said:

All it takes is a good OC. I was hopeful for Chud, but not anymore. 

Why now? We haven't played a game this season yet. Don't get me wrong I've hated the OCs since Arians left but did you just come to this conclusion?

Is there a reason we can't run the Tom Moore...Peyton Manning offense??? Everyone tells me Luck is genius so why can't he run the same offense Peyton did? This crap we've been running is garbage. Isn't Moore still with the team in some advisory role?

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Exactly. . . 

And it's not like this is the first time a franchise QB has been saddled with a bad team around him.  

Phillip Rivers for example.  

Indeed!!! Think about all those horrible Patriot teams that Tom Brady carried into the playoffs......ohh wait lol...I have to admit these current Indianapolis Colts remind me so much of the 2010-2011 Colts that Peyton carried into the playoffs and then turned around to fall apart when he sat out.....very frightening.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why now? We haven't played a game this season yet. Don't get me wrong I've hated the OCs since Arians left but did you just come to this conclusion?

Is there a reason we can't run the Tom Moore...Peyton Manning offense??? Everyone tells me Luck is genius so why can't he run the same offense Peyton did? This crap we've been running is garbage. Isn't Moore still with the team in some advisory role?

Tom Moore is with Arians in Arizona since 2013.

I don't hate Chud, I'm just not a fan of his offense. Wasn't a fan of Arians either. I thought Chud would run more of the Denver 2015 stuff and show some urgency and innovation like they did in Week 17, but I didn't see that. 

I'm rooting for him. Hopefully, like my good pal NCF says, Ballard has gotten in his ear and helped him fine tune his approach. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't hate Chud, I'm just not a fan of his offense. Wasn't a fan of Arians either. I thought Chud would run more of the Denver 2015 stuff and show some urgency and innovation like they did in Week 17, but I didn't see that. 

I'm rooting for him. Hopefully, like my good pal NCF says, Ballard has gotten in his ear and helped him fine tune his approach. 

I'm really hoping that players like Mack and Turbin can help this offense out to set up the pass. Luck really seems to thrive and feel comfortable with play-action. It was especially evident last year against Detroit. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe we should just bite the bullet and pay Peyton to be our OC.....not that he wants to but I still don't see why we Luck shouldn't be capable of running an offense like that. What we got now is so....well never mind but I agree Chud's play calling isn't going to keep opposing defenses up at night.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe we should just bite the bullet and pay Peyton to be our OC.....not that he wants to but I still don't see why we Luck shouldn't be capable of running an offense like that. What we got now is so....well never mind but I agree Chud's play calling isn't going to keep opposing defenses up at night.

There are other offenses, it doesn't have to be the Manning/Moore offense. And while it's natural to compare Luck with Manning, they play the position much differently, they have different strengths and weaknesses, and to me, Manning is in a league of his own so I don't expect anyone to do what he did. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are other offenses, it doesn't have to be the Manning/Moore offense. And while it's natural to compare Luck with Manning, they play the position much differently, they have different strengths and weaknesses, and to me, Manning is in a league of his own so I don't expect anyone to do what he did. 

I just love all the options....and the formations were often very similar but the defense had no clue what they would see out of it....but I've heard Moore's offensive mind was brilliant so I just would like to see him back is all.

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm really hoping that players like Mack and Turbin can help this offense out to set up the pass. Luck really seems to thrive and feel comfortable with play-action. It was especially evident last year against Detroit. 

I've been emphasizing the importance of play action since 2012. And while I don't think you need to have a dominant rushing attack to have effective play action, the better your rushing attack is, the more effective your play action will be. And then there's all the stuff you can do off of play action -- bootlegs and roll outs -- that takes pressure off of the OL.