Who wins the AFC South this year?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFC South this year?

• Colts
    • Jags
    • Texans
    • Titans

15 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Titans or Texans. If Watson pans out, the Texans will win. They would have a top 5 D and a good QB.

If Watson doesn't pan out, the Titans will win. I expect Mariota to have a really good year. Titans have been making some decent moves. 

I agree, I voted Titans.

With no Kelly and a questionable Luck the Colts have one foot in the quicksand. A new center with be the 38th OL configuration since Luck came in. Add the Titans OL performance last year, if they remain that good then I'll take the Titans IF Watson does not have a solid rookie year. The Texans have the best defense in the NFL. I am not even thinking first place for the Colts this year, only looking for a big chunk of improvement and Ballard and Pagano have said as much. 

I watched the Jags Thursday night and Bortles looked horrible. He is worse than I dreamed. I thought he would develop in to a good one and he is looking like a clip board holder for the rest of his career. So it should be Henne but their third string guy looked even better than Henne Thursday.

Luck will likely miss the first 2-3 games in my opinion.  With our current backups and Luck's relative rust when he is put in there I expect the Colts to be behind the 8 ball early.  In a division as tightly contested as the AFC South that could be costly.  Titans take it this year.

This is still the worst division in football so all teams have a chance. 

I wish it could be the Titans. They have done a remarkable job with their draft that the Rams handed to them to draft their huge bust at QB...But I don't trust them until they can prove me wrong. 

Pagano is still coaching the Colts, so I don't have any faith in them either. I expect the Colts to be somewhere around 6-10 or 8-8 at best and Pagano finally getting fired at last. 

The Texans probably get it again at 9-7. 

Texans looked good on both sides of the ball against New England in preseason week two. Coach O'Brien has made it clear Savage is the starter and he showed well last night. Colts showed some fire last night and Tennessee is set to make run and one analyst said yesterday they could be ready to take the crown from New England this year. I have not compared schedules but yesterday I head one person state the Colts have the easiest schedule of the entire NFL. OK with me. This could get real interesting. I hope Kelly's absence won't do too much damage.

I voted Colts but will take Luck and Kelly being back together within the first 3-4 weeks of the season and hopefully a minimum .500 record up to then.  It may seem unlikely but our early schedule has very winnable games.

I may just be a dreamer though! :lombardi:

I still think the Colts have a chance to win the division, but if Watson pans out for the Texans they are going to be a dangerous team.  There D is solid and they have everything except a QB (and Duane Brown lol).  This team could be really good in the coming years.  Titans I feel like are getting better but not going to win the AFC South just yet.  You give us Luck for at least 14 games and I see us getting to 9-7 at least.  The AFC South champ will have to hit 10 wins this year IMO.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I still think the Colts have a chance to win the division, but if Watson pans out for the Texans they are going to be a dangerous team.  There D is solid and they have everything except a QB (and Duane Brown lol).  This team could be really good in the coming years.  Titans I feel like are getting better but not going to win the AFC South just yet.  You give us Luck for at least 14 games and I see us getting to 9-7 at least.  The AFC South champ will have to hit 10 wins this year IMO.

The Texans defense isn't that good and from what I saw from Watson this past Saturday he sucked I think he is overhyped.

I think Watson will be a good player, however I don't think he'll have much of an impact on that offense this year.  As of right now I still see a decent amount of growth he needs to have a real command of that offense.   We have pretty good odds against anybody in our division to be honest.   As long as Luck is healthy I do believe our offense is going to be top notch.  Especially with a healthy Mack, Turbin, and Gore.  Running game will be much improved and I think we won't be as dependant on TY this year with Aiken, Chester Rogers, and Moncrief healthy.  Not to mention Swoope and Doyel.    I still maintain that the defense is going to be much better than last year.  Not going to let either of these two preseason games influence that belief.  The unit hasn't played together all that much and you certainly don't build that continuity in preseason games.   No way I'm picking any of the other divisional opponents as a head and shoulders winner over the Colts.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, DaColts85 said:

Texans D isn't that good?  So am I supposedly just going off your word on that one....

You realize the 2017 Texans defense is not the same as the 2016 Texans defense, right?

The 2017 Texans defense lost several key pieces from the 2016 defense, so it remains to be seen if they are great, good, average or bad.

23 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Watson will be a good player, however I don't think he'll have much of an impact on that offense this year.  As of right now I still see a decent amount of growth he needs to have a real command of that offense.   We have pretty good odds against anybody in our division to be honest.   As long as Luck is healthy I do believe our offense is going to be top notch.  Especially with a healthy Mack, Turbin, and Gore.  Running game will be much improved and I think we won't be as dependant on TY this year with Aiken, Chester Rogers, and Moncrief healthy.  Not to mention Swoope and Doyel.    I still maintain that the defense is going to be much better than last year.  Not going to let either of these two preseason games influence that belief.  The unit hasn't played together all that much and you certainly don't build that continuity in preseason games.   No way I'm picking any of the other divisional opponents as a head and shoulders winner over the Colts.

But....Luck is not 'healthy.'

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Luck will likely miss the first 2-3 games in my opinion.  With our current backups and Luck's relative rust when he is put in there I expect the Colts to be behind the 8 ball early.  In a division as tightly contested as the AFC South that could be costly.  Titans take it this year.

IR - 'designated to return' ...write it down now.

14 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

You realize the 2017 Texans defense is not the same as the 2016 Texans defense, right?

The 2017 Texans defense lost several key pieces from the 2016 defense, so it remains to be seen if they are great, good, average or bad.

Replace WIlfork and AJ Bouye...bring back WATT!!  Plus they had a solid draft pick get a year of experience t o replace Bouye.  Yea I feel fine with what I have said but thanks for the observation.  Bringing back the DPOY and possible sack leader and you say they have changed since 2016....yea they have!

4 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

What's your reasoning?  Pure guess?  Pessimistic person?  Do you have a reliable source saying this?

Colts history, over the years, sir. That, and all  the "he's on schedule" - "rehabbing is on track" - "gotta stick with the process" - etc., etc., etc. 

I could be wrong, I hope I am.  But as I said...write it down.

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Colts history, over the years, sir. That, and all  the "he's on schedule" - "rehabbing is on track" - "gotta stick with the process" - etc., etc., etc. 

I could be wrong, I hope I am.  But as I said...write it down.

I guess we'll see.  I think he'll play week 1 but I could also be wrong.  I am hoping he's back and healthy.  If he's out more than 4 games the Colts aren't going anywhere this year in my opinion.  I'd love to be wrong of course. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think the AFC South has moved past the AFC East and the NFC West.

People here say that every year but the numbers disagree. Still the worst division by a mile and has been since 2002. 

The AFC East at least sent the Jets to the AFCCG twice. The AFC South has never done that. 

11 hours ago, Synthetic said:

People here say that every year but the numbers disagree. Still the worst division by a mile and has been since 2002. 

The AFC East at least sent the Jets to the AFCCG twice. The AFC South has never done that. 

I agree that the AFC South has been the worst division of the past 20 years.   But we are talking about THIS season.

The Jets?     Are you using past Jets success to make a case for the AFC East this season?   

14 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think the AFC South has moved past the AFC East and the NFC West.

I disagree. NFC West has the Seahawks and the Cardinals. AFC East has the Patriots and the Dolphins are a playoff team. The Bills are an average team. AFC South is still the worst division. 

5 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

I disagree. NFC West has the Seahawks and the Cardinals. AFC East has the Patriots and the Dolphins are a playoff team. The Bills are an average team. AFC South is still the worst division. 

Dolphins are not close to being a lock to make the playoffs.    Buffalo is not as good as the Colts, Titans or Texans.  

I'd say combining the divisions, the order would be like this:

Patriots

Ttitans

Texans

Colts

Dolphins

Bills

Jags

Jets

13 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree that the AFC South has been the worst division of the past 20 years.   But we are talking about THIS season.

The Jets?     Are you using past Jets success to make a case for the AFC East this season?   

Since 2002, the AFC South has consistently been the worst division in all of football. This was the year the realignment happened, before that you had Tennessee and Jacksonville in the Central, and the Colts used to play in the AFC East. I'm judging it by that, so yes I can use the Jets past success to make a case on a historical scale. The AFC South has never sent another team into the AFCCG. If Houston could ever get a QB, that might change...Houston is the team that should be dominating that division, but it all comes down to the QB situation. 

I expect the AFC South to still be horrible this season. It will be won at a 9-7 record or maybe even 8-8...It might be more competitive than the AFC East, but that's only cause the Colts aren't the dominating powerhouse of the bad division like they used to be. 

Most of the bashing to the AFC East is just cause the Pats have dominated it so easily in recent years...even though the Colts did the exact same thing with a worse division during Manning's prime..

Most teams that go on a run like that dominating their division for over a decade like the Colts and Pats have done, often benefit from it being weak at times...The Buffalo Bills of the 90's dominated a horrible AFC East too where their only competition was Dan Marino who never could beat them late in the season or in the playoffs. The 49ers of the old days, always had it easy in the old NFC West even when teams like the Rams and Saints would make the playoffs, they would still win the division at a 13-3 or 14-2 record. 

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

When is the cut down to the 53 again?

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

September 2nd

By 4:00 pm EST.  No interim cuts, it goes from 90  to  53, and 10 practice squad/ scout team.

8 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Day to day means week to week in coach speak, unless they are talking about PUP removal time frame... that is probably day to day.  And will happen the day A.L. completes all of his rehab assignments without negative incidents.

10 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Since 2002, the AFC South has consistently been the worst division in all of football. This was the year the realignment happened, before that you had Tennessee and Jacksonville in the Central, and the Colts used to play in the AFC East. I'm judging it by that, so yes I can use the Jets past success to make a case on a historical scale. The AFC South has never sent another team into the AFCCG. If Houston could ever get a QB, that might change...Houston is the team that should be dominating that division, but it all comes down to the QB situation. 

I expect the AFC South to still be horrible this season. It will be won at a 9-7 record or maybe even 8-8...It might be more competitive than the AFC East, but that's only cause the Colts aren't the dominating powerhouse of the bad division like they used to be. 

Most of the bashing to the AFC East is just cause the Pats have dominated it so easily in recent years...even though the Colts did the exact same thing with a worse division during Manning's prime..

Most teams that go on a run like that dominating their division for over a decade like the Colts and Pats have done, often benefit from it being weak at times...The Buffalo Bills of the 90's dominated a horrible AFC East too where their only competition was Dan Marino who never could beat them late in the season or in the playoffs. The 49ers of the old days, always had it easy in the old NFC West even when teams like the Rams and Saints would make the playoffs, they would still win the division at a 13-3 or 14-2 record. 

You are still talking of the past.   THIS season, I think the AFC East will be worse.  

When is the cut down to the 53 again?

September 2nd

By 4:00 pm EST.  No interim cuts, it goes from 90  to  53, and 10 practice squad/ scout team.

Day to day means week to week in coach speak, unless they are talking about PUP removal time frame... that is probably day to day.  And will happen the day A.L. completes all of his rehab assignments without negative incidents.

Interesting. That means this cut down day will be different. Everyone getting cut at once means there will be a mad scramble signing people. But it also means you get a longer look at guys.