Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

signed free agent G Terran Vaughn and waived-injured OLB Deiontrez Mount

Everyone

Unless they think Shwenke will be ready soon, they need to quit screwing around and sign a real center before Andrew takes a snap.  I know this guy is a G.

They have plenty of cap space, and even if it takes a bundle to sign a Mangold, etc., it's worth it.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Unless they think Shwenke will be ready soon, they need to quit screwing around and sign a real center before Andrew takes a snap.  I know this guy is a G.

They have plenty of cap space, and even if it takes a bundle to sign a Mangold, etc., it's worth it.  

Mangold didn't retire?  For some reason I thought he did.  I would be talking with him and Zuttah and have them in the facility Monday to start practice.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Depends on what a bundle is? 9m? No thank you. 2-3m 1 yr deal for 4-9 games, depth, maybe a starting guard role.... I would be good with that.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Nope...they keep saying he is close but supposedly his agent said he was waiting to hear back from us.  At least this is what I heard on the radio yesterday.

Okay, I wish we would sign him like ASAP! He was a pro bowler last season. And he would be a quality fill in at center until Kelly is fully healthy. He can also play either guard position for depth. 

He was rated pretty well at Center and like you said he is solid.  He is a FA though because he was terrible as a G so if he is signed and playing at a high level for say 4 weeks and then Kelly comes back you could look to moving Kelly to a G spot before Zuttah IMO.  Or just let Kelly get fully healed and transition him back in.

1 minute ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Okay, I wish we would sign him like ASAP! He was a pro bowler last season. And he would be a quality fill in at center until Kelly is fully healthy. He can also play either guard position for depth. 

O.K., I don't know much about this guy, but we should bring in a pro bowler, from last year, to fill in for our second year guy (future pro bowler, but...), and when Kelly returns, this pro bowler will be our depth for either G spot?

I'm guessing my reading comprehension is off today.

2 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I know he's (or his agent) is going to use us as leverage, and that he'd start in Baltimore.  But pay him or Mangold and get quality.  Don't worry about the cap, there's plenty of space.  Even if it's 5-6M for Mangold, your franchise is worth ten times that.

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

O.K., I don't know much about this guy, but we should bring in a pro bowler, from last year, to fill in for our second year guy (future pro bowler, but...), and when Kelly returns, this pro bowler will be our depth for either G spot?

I'm guessing my reading comprehension is off today.

You are a little off but no big deal.  Basically we would try and bring in a FA to fill the need.  If he is performing at a Pro Bowl level then honestly you have a difficult decision of when to bring Kelly back in, or you try Kelly at Guard if need be.  It would be for a 1-year deal anyways so if the line looked great with Zuttah all year then Kelly gets the year off to heal.  You play the best players and if Zuttah was performing extremely well then Kelly sits and learns.

16 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You are a little off but no big deal.  Basically we would try and bring in a FA to fill the need.  If he is performing at a Pro Bowl level then honestly you have a difficult decision of when to bring Kelly back in, or you try Kelly at Guard if need be.  It would be for a 1-year deal anyways so if the line looked great with Zuttah all year then Kelly gets the year off to heal.  You play the best players and if Zuttah was performing extremely well then Kelly sits and learns.

With all due respect Kelly will be the center no matter how great a FA would be coming in. If it were Zuttah and he was good enough to earn a starting spot after Kelly was healthy enough to come back than Zuttah would take over Haeg's guard position before Kelly would move over. 

22 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

With all due respect Kelly will be the center no matter how great a FA would be coming in. If it were Zuttah and he was good enough to earn a starting spot after Kelly was healthy enough to come back than Zuttah would take over Haeg's guard position before Kelly would move over. 

I mean it is all unlikely but I would disagree.  You field the best players and Ballard is all for competition.  So if Zuttah performs extremely well and shows more than a rusty Kelly you could try and put competition at a Guard spot with Kelly.  Zuttah went to SF and they tried him at Guard and it failed terribly so then could try it again or see what Kelly has.  Competition is all I see with this...if they truly believe in that anyways (QB comp seems to be otherwise).

36 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean it is all unlikely but I would disagree.  You field the best players and Ballard is all for competition.  So if Zuttah performs extremely well and shows more than a rusty Kelly you could try and put competition at a Guard spot with Kelly.  Zuttah went to SF and they tried him at Guard and it failed terribly so then could try it again or see what Kelly has.  Competition is all I see with this...if they truly believe in that anyways (QB comp seems to be otherwise).

I disagree, you don't move your cornerstone and potential future all-pro because his back-up is playing well.  Especially when doing that would force said cornerstone and potential future all-pro into a position he has not played in college or the pros.  There is not any part of doing that that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree, you don't move your cornerstone and potential future all-pro because his back-up is playing well.  Especially when doing that would force said cornerstone and potential future all-pro into a position he has not played in college or the pros.  There is not any part of doing that that makes sense.

I mean I see your point.  Can't argue with you at all.

2 hours ago, GOZER said:

Maybe they're going to slide Mewhort to center? Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Could be.  They tried him there his rookie year, I believe.  But that just makes another hole at G.

Just sign a veteran!  Plenty of cap space, and the cap will go up again next year.  Forget about the money, protect the franchise!

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I know he's (or his agent) is going to use us as leverage, and that he'd start in Baltimore.  But pay him or Mangold and get quality.  Don't worry about the cap, there's plenty of space.  Even if it's 5-6M for Mangold, your franchise is worth ten times that.

We can still bring Mangold in If he can pass a physical He will plug in and at his age I'm betting the preseason is the last thing he's interested in. I am not so sure we bring in a C.

If Scheenke can get back on the field next week. He will go to C then it's a matter of how we feel about the depth behind him. There is a big opportunity for guys like Bond and Redmond if they play well moving forward 

5 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

I agree with stop signing practice squad level guys when you have 22M in cap space right now. Sign someone with legitimate experience.

I get the feeling Irsay and Ballard know this is a rebuild year, meaning that if they are without Luck and Kelly for a period of time, they aren't going to try and patchwork this team by spending money when they most likely aren't going to be competing for the playoffs anyways, especially after seeing all these injuries. 

Ballard could be using this year to evaluate how Pagano does with coaching up the young players, and saving his cap space to roll over into having potentially the most cap space in the 2018 offseason. Then bring in a couple of key players in free agency, extend a few players (Mewhort, Moncrief), and use your high draft pick as trade bait to get a plethora of picks. 

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Yeah, right.  I think most of the board is still trying to figure the real reason.

Best center we had before Kelly imo. Would've been a great backup to keep around for times like this. He wasn't an all pro but he was solid and had a mean steak. I think he's the only O-lineman I've seen actually stick up for Luck by getting into it with D-lineman after a dirty hit.

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Because that would make the team better.

Seriously?

come on.

i'm sure Ballard is sitting there (after improving basically ALL positions already) thinking "i'd like a BIG hole at center so i'm gonna ignore it."  

Maybe swenke is soon ready, maybe they are talking to someone, or maybe,just maybe, they know what they are doing:

we found out for years how difficult it is to fing quality centers who are available. And perhaps those available are greedy cuz they know the need we (and most teams) have at center. 

but to act like it is being ignored is off the mark.  You are better than that LPB.  Or maybe you were being funny.

Nothing is being ignored. The C position is not a position that's extremely difficult to find solid a player at despite how large a task it was for our previous GM. 

Could it be that 32 teams are carrying 90 players right now?  As. a result we don't have a lot of options. When rosters are.trimmed to 53 we will have clear picture of what we have on our team. If we need to make a move at C or anywhere else. We will make it.

Ballard has said he doesn't have camp bodies. He is always looking to make the roster better. I think Ballard is a straight shooter He believes in his process. He believes he has the best players available that fit his vision on the  roster right now.

We are in a rebuild no question. I think Ballard's being greatly underestimated if you don't think he expects to win during this process. 

35 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Nothing is being ignored. The C position is not a position that's extremely difficult to find solid a player at despite how large a task it was for our previous GM. 

Could it be that 32 teams are carrying 90 players right now?  As. a result we don't have a lot of options. When rosters are.trimmed to 53 we will have clear picture of what we have on our team. If we need to make a move at C or anywhere else. We will make it.

Ballard has said he doesn't have camp bodies. He is always looking to make the roster better. I think Ballard is a straight shooter He believes in his process. He believes he has the best players available that fit his vision on the  roster right now.

We are in a rebuild no question. I think Ballard's being greatly underestimated if you don't think he expects to win during this process. 

i agree

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Outstanding point, there are going to be very decent players to get then. Yes, it is tough to wait it out, but you get waaay better selection and value then.  

There will be a serviceable center available before the season starts. I think we signed a undrafted player who was working in a electrical supply company. For 13 years Jeff Saturday was one of the best centers in the league.

I am not saying we will ever sign someone of his caliber but I am pretty sure Ballard will find a suable player till Kelly gets back.

Mangold was still playing at a high level before being injured last season. IF he's healthy, he's someone we can bring in to fill the void until Kelly is ready to go.

Didn't Zuttah make the pro bowl last season? Why haven't we signed him yet?

Bringing someone in asap in order to build chemistry with the rest of our offense is something we need to happen right now.

The regular season is only a few weeks away and we have no time to spare.

4 hours ago, Colt-King 24 said:

Mangold was still playing at a high level before being injured last season. IF he's healthy, he's someone we can bring in to fill the void until Kelly is ready to go.

Didn't Zuttah make the pro bowl last season? Why haven't we signed him yet?

Bringing someone in asap in order to build chemistry with the rest of our offense is something we need to happen right now.

The regular season is only a few weeks away and we have no time to spare.

Zuttah signed with Baltimore He made the Pro Bowl as a Raven last year. There aren't very many options right now. If you have talent chances are you are in camp somewhere. Mangold doesn't really fit Ballard's profile. I'm not sure how interested he'd be knowing he goes to the bench when Kelly returns. He may wait to see if a better opportunity comes along. 

Ballard was prepared for this he signed a guy who has experience at C this offseason Hopefully Schwenke comes off the PUP list next week. The question then becomes how comfortable are we with who we have behind the starters. Bond has a huge opportunity in front of him. Redmond should see time at G and C. If we aren't happy with what we have there will be options after cuts. I think Ballard could make multiple signings after cuts. The bottom of our roster isn't that talented. We may want to pay attention the Cowboys 3rd team OL. 

Final cuts are 2-Sep, first game on 7-Sep.  Thinking even the most experienced centers could learn the playbook in 5 days is a stretch.  Okay, maybe someone who worked in a similar system could make the transition easier, but I still don't think they would start the first game or two of the season.  They would just be used for depth after Kelly returns.

We need to bring in someone now who will be able to learn the system/playbook before the first two games of the season.  Otherwise we just roll with what we have - based on the assumption that Kelly will be back by week 4.

Just my opinion.