Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Doyle the perfect TE

Lucky Colts Fan

Ok, I'm being a homer, but hear me out.  I know Gronk is the best at what he does, but let's face it, he's an outlier.  He's got unique raw talent and is crazy-athletic for that size.  Since he's not a normal TE, the Pats have to pay him accordingly.  Plus, he gets injured a lot, and old-school stoic NEers might not like his flamboyance.

Jack Doyle is the perfect TE.  He's not the fastest, most agile, quickest, softest hands, best blocker, etc. etc., so he probably won't demand top-dollar for a TE.  But he isn't bad, or even mediocre at anything; he is good at everything, including staying healthy.  He's like a TE in Madden where all of his attributes are between 80-90, no exceptional qualities, but not a single bad quality.  Like a solid 84 rating, just like his number.  (I doubt Madden 18 will agree with me, but we'll see.)

Most importantly, Jack Doyle is insanely efficient in his play.  Maybe it's just me, but when I watch him, it seems like he is so technically sound that he never has a bad play.  He isn't making amazing TD catches like Gronk, but he is making critical 1st-down catches on 3rd and 5.  :scoregood:  

He is the definition of dependable, possibly the most important trait in a football player.  You're hard-pressed to find him dropping a pass, fumbling the ball, or missing a block.  He makes me think of phrases like "deceptively fast" or "he's not fast, but he plays fast".  His movements are so efficient that it doesn't look like he's really moving that fast, but he always seems to have ideal footwork and leverage, and he creates separation and gets open.  And he catches the ball with his hands instead of his chest, and brings the ball into his chest quickly once he's caught it.  I would describe his play as "smooth".  Jack is obviously not as fast as Marcus Allen, but his efficiency of movement is similar; for such a big guy, you could describe Doyle as "compact" in his movements.  Guys like Gronk and Kelce are going to make highlight reels, but Jack Doyle is just that hard-working, do-everything-the-right-way, hometown blue-collar TE that everyone wants on their team.

I'm not saying Doyle is the best TE in the league, but if you're building a team and you have a salary cap, you can't have the best player in the league at every position on your team.  You do want solid guys at every position, and Jack Doyle is as smooth, solid and dependable as your Moms' granite-kitchen-counter-top.

:clover:

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, I'm being a homer, but hear me out.  I know Gronk is the best at what he does, but let's face it, he's an outlier.  He's got unique raw talent and is crazy-athletic for that size.  Since he's not a normal TE, the Pats have to pay him accordingly.  Plus, he gets injured a lot, and old-school stoic NEers might not like his flamboyance.

Jack Doyle is the perfect TE.  He's not the fastest, most agile, quickest, softest hands, best blocker, etc. etc., so he probably won't demand top-dollar for a TE.  But he isn't bad, or even mediocre at anything; he is good at everything, including staying healthy.  He's like a TE in Madden where all of his attributes are between 80-90, no exceptional qualities, but not a single bad quality.  Like a solid 84 rating, just like his number.  (I doubt Madden 18 will agree with me, but we'll see.)

Most importantly, Jack Doyle is insanely efficient in his play.  Maybe it's just me, but when I watch him, it seems like he is so technically sound that he never has a bad play.  He isn't making amazing TD catches like Gronk, but he is making critical 1st-down catches on 3rd and 5.  :scoregood:  

He is the definition of dependable, possibly the most important trait in a football player.  You're hard-pressed to find him dropping a pass, fumbling the ball, or missing a block.  He makes me think of phrases like "deceptively fast" or "he's not fast, but he plays fast".  His movements are so efficient that it doesn't look like he's really moving that fast, but he always seems to have ideal footwork and leverage, and he creates separation and gets open.  And he catches the ball with his hands instead of his chest, and brings the ball into his chest quickly once he's caught it.  I would describe his play as "smooth".  Jack is obviously not as fast as Marcus Allen, but his efficiency of movement is similar; for such a big guy, you could describe Doyle as "compact" in his movements.  Guys like Gronk and Kelce are going to make highlight reels, but Jack Doyle is just that hard-working, do-everything-the-right-way, hometown blue-collar TE that everyone wants on their team.

I'm not saying Doyle is the best TE in the league, but if you're building a team and you have a salary cap, you can't have the best player in the league at every position on your team.  You do want solid guys at every position, and Jack Doyle is as smooth, solid and dependable as your Moms' granite-kitchen-counter-top.

:clover:

i concur

I like Jack.  I think he's the perfect Colts TE.  I wonder where he would stack up in the league with the same QB.  He's far from the most athletic, but he makes up for it in smarts, heart, and hard work:

jack will be there when you need him.

i am more concerned with depth behind him. If doyle goes down, especially now with swoope out, who do we have? Williams? 

we've always heard how TE-centril Chuds offense is.  Even if this isn't true, i'd still feel better with better depth. Even with the drops, Allen was a red zone machine and very good blocker.

The wr receiving corps, which i recently felt was crazy deep, now gives me a lil concern too.  Remove Hilton , and you have banged up #2 moncrief, #3 rogers, #4 dorsett.  Its early in camp but still concerning.

42 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I like Jack.  I think he's the perfect Colts TE.  I wonder where he would stack up in the league with the same QB.  He's far from the most athletic, but he makes up for it in smarts, heart, and hard work:

jack will be there when you need him.

i am more concerned with depth behind him. If doyle goes down, especially now with swoope out, who do we have? Williams? 

we've always heard how TE-centril Chuds offense is.  Even if this isn't true, i'd still feel better with better depth. Even with the drops, Allen was a red zone machine and very good blocker.

The wr receiving corps, which i recently felt was crazy deep, now gives me a lil concern too.  Remove Hilton , and you have banged up #2 moncrief, #3 rogers, #4 dorsett.  Its early in camp but still concerning.

Having good depth at any position is a very good thing.

Here lately there have been some who want Dorsett traded for as little as a 5th or 6th round pick. IMO that would be a huge mistake especially at this time of year.