Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Chuck Pagano you've been asking for?

NewColtsFan

For those who have been openly wanting a tougher Chuck Pagano,  well,   I think you now have him.

1.     When Chester Rogers fielded a punt inside his own 5 yard line he was greeted on the sidelines by......    Chuck Pagano.     An unhappy Chuck Pagano.    And I think it appeared to be outside the team zone on the sideline.     I'd guess it was around the 20 or 25 yardline.      Pagano was not happy and it was pretty obvious.    He was not yelling and screaming,   but he was stone cold serious and there was no clapping or pat on the back.    

2.     Afterward,  Pagano's public comment was that Rogers play was "a critical error."       Not sure he's ever used that kind of language in public before....

3.     Today,   on ESPN,   there's a Pagano story where he's quote as saying "injured or not,   NO ONE should feel comfortable about making the team."

So,   we've played exactly one game,   and there are three solid examples of a tough Chuck Pagano.       There will likely be more of this to come in camp.....

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogers should know better by now and what was he trying to prove by doing that anyway?  Was it the fact that it is PS and nothing to lose?  Wrong answer Chester.

Well, I didn't see Chuck greet him but I can only hope that it was unpleasant and a bit embarrassing for Chester.  Those kind of mistakes can be game changers and it was even in that game.  We fought field position forever after that.  Not all his fault as the offense sucked, but his bad decision didn't help and IMO, was inexcusable.  

No question Chuck needs to be tougher on players than he has been.  Perhaps Ballard explained that to him and let him know how he would be held accountable for these type of problems .... as they say "  __it runs down hill".

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Rogers should know better by now and what was he trying to prove by doing that anyway?  Was it the fact that it is PS and nothing to lose?  Wrong answer Chester.

Well, I didn't see Chuck greet him but I can only hope that it was unpleasant and a bit embarrassing for Chester.  Those kind of mistakes can be game changers and it was even in that game.  We fought field position forever after that.  Not all his fault as the offense sucked, but his bad decision didn't help and IMO, was inexcusable.  

No question Chuck needs to be tougher on players than he has been.  Perhaps Ballard explained that to him and let him know how he would be held accountable for these type of problems .... as they say "  __it runs down hill".

Or maybe pagano has more freedom now under Ballard than he did grigson.

Just throwing out an alternate possibility :)

7 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I am glad someone else was not pleased with that decision...Chuck, you and NCF so far...it was a poor football decision.  He underwhelmed in the first game as well...don't fall for the "tea leaf readings" of the pre-season....especially early on.

13 minutes ago, J@son said:

Or maybe pagano has more freedom now under Ballard than he did grigson.

Just throwing out an alternate possibility :)

And I meant to add that so thank you!!  We will never really know what the situation was in the past in that regard, I am a bit suspicious though

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For those who have been openly wanting a tougher Chuck Pagano,  well,   I think you now have him.

1.     When Chester Rogers fielded a punt inside his own 5 yard line he was greeted on the sidelines by......    Chuck Pagano.     An unhappy Chuck Pagano.    And I think it appeared to be outside the team zone on the sideline.     I'd guess it was around the 20 or 25 yardline.      Pagano was not happy and it was pretty obvious.    He was not yelling and screaming,   but he was stone cold serious and there was no clapping or pat on the back.    

2.     Afterward,  Pagano's public comment was that Rogers play was "a critical error."       Not sure he's ever used that kind of language in public before....

3.     Today,   on ESPN,   there's a Pagano story where he's quote as saying "injured or not,   NO ONE should feel comfortable about making the team."

So,   we've played exactly one game,   and there are three solid examples of a tough Chuck Pagano.       There will likely be more of this to come in camp.....

Noticed that myself. He also sounded ticked off about players not being available after he praised Bug Howard last week. I think Chuck gets a bum rap sometimes. Does he make mistakes? Absolutely! So does every coach in the NFL. The headache involved in changing Coaching staff and schemes keeps me from not wanting to give this guy a chance. Let's see what he does this year, under Ballard and (hopefully) a healthy team.

It also can be something a simple as Chuck starting to be a veteran head coach. Too many seem to forget Chuck has only been a head coach for five years but expect him to act like he has many years experience.

He has been treated like he is suppose to be like so many other veteran coaches without letting him grow for himself.

Two 8-8 seasons and all of a sudden all the teams problems were put on Pagano when that wasn't the real problem at all IMO.

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he was pretty mad on the sideline on Sunday, as he should have been

hes a goner if we have games like that during the season

I think you are putting too much into the last pre season game. Pagano cant make the Colts competitive overnight with a virtually a new team.

I noticed how he got after Rogers after that mistake also. I don't think it's the first time he's done it; he gave a similar talking to to someone during the Raiders game last year, I'll have to go back and figure out who it was. (And I know I saw him do it multiple times to multiple players that game.)

But his comments about no one should feel safe got my attention, for sure. He seemed ticked off in general during that presser. And he went into his 'we have to cut down to 53 soon, and the players we keep have to be tough, smart...' And I'm thinking, 'right Chuck, we know, horseshoe guys who love the game, good teammates, the same ol' stuff you always say this time of year...'

And then he said 'and they have to be available. They have to practice. ... Injured or not, I don't think ANYONE should feel safe right now.' 

And I went:

200w.gif

Because that put Dorsett on notice, IMO. And after they just cut Langford specifically because he couldn't get back on the field as fast as they wanted, there's no reason for anyone to think they're above being cut for any reason, especially the players who have a history of missing practice with nagging injuries (like Dorsett, who missed most of the offseason program with hamstring issues). 

These comments also came on the heels of Pagano praising Bug Howard for pushing himself during last week's practices, when other players were on the sideline because they don't know if they can go that hard, in so many words.

Now, talk is cheap. Pagano's words seemed urgent to me, but I don't think the staff treated the game with that kind of urgency. We'll see how they respond Saturday.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The chuck pagano I'm asking for is a super bowl winner....... let me know when he arrives 

:P

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

The chuck pagano I'm asking for is a super bowl winner....... let me know when he arrives 

:P

There are a lot of trees that need chopped down before we clear an area large enough for that stadium

I was actually very impressed with Ballard also during that booth interview.

Seems like he has the pulse of the team and he knows what's trending towards good and what's not on our team.

Definitely liked how he has a clear vision of what the Colts should and will look like soon..

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

I noticed how he got after Rogers after that mistake also. I don't think it's the first time he's done it; he gave a similar talking to to someone during the Raiders game last year, I'll have to go back and figure out who it was. (And I know I saw him do it multiple times to multiple players that game.)

But his comments about no one should feel safe got my attention, for sure. He seemed ticked off in general during that presser. And he went into his 'we have to cut down to 53 soon, and the players we keep have to be tough, smart...' And I'm thinking, 'right Chuck, we know, horseshoe guys who love the game, good teammates, the same ol' stuff you always say this time of year...'

And then he said 'and they have to be available. They have to practice. ... Injured or not, I don't think ANYONE should feel safe right now.' 

And I went:

200w.gif

Because that put Dorsett on notice, IMO. And after they just cut Langford specifically because he couldn't get back on the field as fast as they wanted, there's no reason for anyone to think they're above being cut for any reason, especially the players who have a history of missing practice with nagging injuries (like Dorsett, who missed most of the offseason program with hamstring issues). 

These comments also came on the heels of Pagano praising Bug Howard for pushing himself during last week's practices, when other players were on the sideline because they don't know if they can go that hard, in so many words.

Now, talk is cheap. Pagano's words seemed urgent to me, but I don't think the staff treated the game with that kind of urgency. We'll see how they respond Saturday.

I'm not privy to his work ethic, but Donte finds himself on the sidelines often, as well.

I kinda worry about him.

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I go to a high school game every week and rarely do they catch punts inside the five. A player getting paid should never happen since that's his job. Chester would have been done for the day had I been the coach.

26 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm not privy to his work ethic, but Donte finds himself on the sidelines often, as well.

I kinda worry about him.

Donte is productive, and he had more tangible issues. I don't worry about him this year, but I wonder what kind of commitment they'll make to him next year.

I took note of Chuck being harder on players during the preseason game, before his solid halftime comments and statements at his presser. So I'm happy about that.

But yeah, I'm waiting for the regular season until I start making judgments of Chuck, whether he's improved or not. I'm looking for this team to stop the consistent slow starts, being able to play 4 good quarters of football, and not making crucial mistakes.

Cut to 53? I foresee Ballard and Pagano going as deep as 48.  In 3 weeks, over 1,100 players will be cut from other rosters. Guys better get it straight, Ballard & Pagano will not be sitting idle with that many fish in the pond.

19 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I took note of Chuck being harder on players during the preseason game, before his solid halftime comments and statements at his presser. So I'm happy about that.

But yeah, I'm waiting for the regular season until I start making judgments of Chuck, whether he's improved or not. I'm looking for this team to stop the consistent slow starts, being able to play 4 good quarters of football, and not making crucial mistakes.

Chuck should dress to look like your avatar and mimic that stance when players come off the field after bonehead plays.....

on a serious note your policy is probably the best approach.  Football really is a mentality and toughness game though as we all know and we have lacked that for a bit... 

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

Cut to 53? I foresee Ballard and Pagano going as deep as 48.  In 3 weeks, over 1,100 players will be cut from other rosters. Guys better get it straight, Ballard & Pagano will not be sitting idle with that many fish in the pond.

I completely agree. 

52 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I go to a high school game every week and rarely do they catch punts inside the five. A player getting paid should never happen since that's his job. Chester would have been done for the day had I been the coach.

I agree with you Blueblood23.... it is not all that hard, in fact it is pretty cut and dry..... let it go!

22 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Well, they'll cut to 53...to start. But there will definitely be more turnover after that. 

But no need to cut more until youve got a replacement lined up. :)

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yes, that's my read on Chuck too. I could care less who he yells at in the preseason. It carries no weight with me what Chuck does in August. I start paying attention after Halloween. Everything else is window dressing for show to me. 

I really want to root for Pagano. He tries so hard. He has had it with some of his players making stupid mistakes. And I think he knows that the fans have had it with him getting out coached by weaker teams. Chuck has never been successful here. It was  Bruce who carried him early in his career and built this team. After that, it has slowly gone down hill. I can't believe that the changing of a GM makes a coach better ha ha.....That's just sill.....but he is our coach and I'll hope he turns it around. With that said,  if his team gets out coached (again)... I'll treat him like he did Rogers!!!!!  

49 minutes ago, cpd190 said:

I really want to root for Pagano. He tries so hard. He has had it with some of his players making stupid mistakes. And I think he knows that the fans have had it with him getting out coached by weaker teams. Chuck has never been successful here. It was  Bruce who carried him early in his career and built this team. After that, it has slowly gone down hill. I can't believe that the changing of a GM makes a coach better ha ha.....That's just sill.....but he is our coach and I'll hope he turns it around. With that said,  if his team gets out coached (again)... I'll treat him like he did Rogers!!!!!  

Chuck has never been successful here?  Sorry dude, have you been in a coma? Does never having a losing season sound familiar?

The Colts made the AFC championship game after Arians left.

Even pitting Arians against Pagano is dead wrong. They are the best of friends and Pagano helped get him the OC job in Indy.  

Maybe if your going to make these comments a little homework would be in order?

Last time I checked the GM brings the players in to be coached. Grigson failed and it cost him his job. It seems you must have been in your coma when it has been common knowledge that Grigson and Pagano bumped heads. That is exactly why Irsay fired Grigson and retained Pagano. For you to lay all the problems the Colts have had the last couple of seasons and point a finger at Pagano without looking at the real reasons just tells me you seem to struggle with the inner workings of a NFL team.

I do not mean this as an insult, just an observation.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chuck has never been successful here?  Sorry dude, have you been in a coma? Does never having a losing season sound familiar?

The Colts made the AFC championship game after Arians left.

Even pitting Arians against Pagano is dead wrong. They are the best of friends and Pagano helped get him the OC job in Indy.  

Maybe if your going to make these comments a little homework would be in order?

Last time I checked the GM brings the players in to be coached. Grigson failed and it cost him his job. It seems you must have been in your coma when it has been common knowledge that Grigson and Pagano bumped heads. That is exactly why Irsay fired Grigson and retained Pagano. For you to lay all the problems the Colts have had the last couple of seasons and point a finger at Pagano without looking at the real reasons just tells me you seem to struggle with the inner workings of a NFL team.

I do not mean this as an insult, just an observation.

Just having a winning season isn't ok anymore, especially going into year 6 of Luck's career. We have to beat the top teams and consistently make the playoffs while competing for SB's. We can always say that Luck "has plenty of time" or "we haven't seen his best yet" or whatever, but the fact is that nothing is guaranteed, and Pagano has yet to prove he can beat the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders in 5 years. The Broncos (the one relevant team Pagano can win against in the AFC), aren't likely to make the playoffs anymore, so we can't count on that matchup should we make the playoffs. The division is tougher, so the division record Pagano has isn't an absolute guarantee anymore either. We have to get better. This draft should put us in the right direction, but if Pagano can't coach a better defense after this Free Agency period and defensive draft, then he should be gone. We can't pray and hope he does better for the rest of Luck's career, or Luck's going to retire without a SB appearance or we'll just be waiting for Brady and Ben to retire because we can't beat them. 

Again, a winning record isn't good enough anymore.

1 hour ago, cpd190 said:

I appreciate the fact that you're new here....

But facts are facts no matter what.

Arains was here one year under the Pagano/Grigson era.      One.       He was here a few years during the Polian -Manning time.      But let's not confuse one wth the other.

Arians didn't build this team.     He didn't have a chance to do that.     He was here one year, Pagano's first year and then he was gone.    

And the Colts actually got better after he left.     I wouldn't say that one led to the other,  only noting that things did NOT go down here after he left.     The Colts won a playoff game in 2013 and then went further,  winning two playoff games before losing in the AFC championship in year 3 of the Luck-Pagano-Grigson era.

So they got better their first 3 years.      Then,  things went south in years 4 and 5 when the team went 8 and 8 both years.       Grigson paid for that with his job.     But Pagano did a good job coaching badly flawed teams to 500 records.

As for never been successful?    Three straight winning years and going a round further in the playoffs each year,  followed by two 500 seasons.    The man doesn't have a single losing record to his name.     In terms of the NFL,   that's almost the definition of being successful.

Welcome to the website.      Hope you enjoy it.      Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.     Just wanted to clarify things with you.....

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just having a winning season isn't ok anymore, especially going into year 6 of Luck's career. We have to beat the top teams and consistently make the playoffs while competing for SB's. We can always say that Luck "has plenty of time" or "we haven't seen his best yet" or whatever, but the fact is that nothing is guaranteed, and Pagano has yet to prove he can beat the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders in 5 years. The Broncos (the one relevant team Pagano can win against in the AFC), aren't likely to make the playoffs anymore, so we can't count on that matchup should we make the playoffs. The division is tougher, so the division record Pagano has isn't an absolute guarantee anymore either. We have to get better. This draft should put us in the right direction, but if Pagano can't coach a better defense after this Free Agency period and defensive draft, then he should be gone. We can't pray and hope he does better for the rest of Luck's career, or Luck's going to retire without a SB appearance or we'll just be waiting for Brady and Ben to retire because we can't beat them. 

Pats:    OK

Steelers:    OK

But, Raiders?        Huh?

We've played them twice and Pagano is 1 and 1 against them.       Lost last year,  and beat them in the Season Opener of 2013,   21-17.      

As for everything else,  we've beaten that horse to death.....     so I don't feel the need to go down the road right now.     Pagano either survives or he doesn't.      We all have a 50-50 chance of being right or wrong.

40 minutes ago, Jules said:

I love the thread title. 

The new.........the improved.......the tougher......THE CHUCK PAGANO YOU BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!

giphy.gif

cpagano-ins.jpg

Remember,   I used a question mark at the end of the thread title.  

So, I wasn't making a statement,  I was only asking a question.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We've played them twice and Pagano is 1 and 1 against them.       Lost last year,  and beat them in the Season Opener of 2013,   21-17.      

As for everything else,  we've beaten that horse to death.....     so I don't feel the need to go down the road right now.     Pagano either survives or he doesn't.      We all have a 50-50 chance of being right or wrong.

You are correct, I meant to say the Raiders with Derek Carr, that's what I get for not proofreading, lol. :) 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember,   I used a question mark at the end of the thread title.  

So, I wasn't making a statement,  I was only asking a question.

I understand......was just having some fun with it. ;) 

I get it completely. And I hope this year is a good one for Pagano. 

Either way, I just hope one extreme or the other happens. Either Pagano crashes and burns and we get a new coach that can hopefully coach Luck for the remainder of his career, or it all clicks for Pagano this year from getting a better defense and hopefully a healthy Luck and we make the playoffs and put up a solid effort vs the AFC's best. At this point, the worst thing would be an 8-8 season again. We need an answer whether to keep Pagano or not, and hopefully it's answered definitively by the end of the season.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.  I am pretty sure Andrew Luck can feel comfortable about making the team.  That's said as a joke as I get the bigger point.

2.  The Pagano I want to see is one who gets his teams to reduce pentaly flags (which they clearly didn't Sunday), doesn't make crucial coaching mistakes like calling a time out when you are driving on Detroit to win the game or the 4th and 2 fake punt with a guy who had never practiced it, and has a team who is ready to play when the game starts and doesn't have to get down 21-3 before they start playing.  

Those things remain to be seen and frankly outside of the pentalies is going to be hard to see in the pre-season so I can't really say if he's the Chuck I want to see or not.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah really regarding Chuck's record the only thing he should be criticized for is being 0-5 vs the Patriots. We haven't had enough of a sample size vs the Steelers or Raiders with Chuck as Coach, he is 0-2 vs the Steelers (1 of those losses was without Luck) and 0-1 vs Carr's Raiders. With Chuck as Coach we have made a Championship Game and have beat the Broncos 3 times with Peyton, the Packers twice with Rodgers, and the Seahawks once with Wilson.

55 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Do you ever get tired of beating a dead horse?

This subject has been debated, argued, yelled, ignored and any other thing you care to add and to keep harping on it is a waist of time and effort at this point.

It seems Pagano has a GM who has his back by bringing players in that may help this team. This season is not going to tell us anything with the 60% of new players on the roster. The Colts right now are too young and inexperienced to make a serious run into the playoffs.

This treating Pagano like he has to be as good as an experienced head coach with only five years under his belt is totally unrealistic and asinine. One draft does not make the Colts a super power team.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah really regarding Chuck's record the only thing he should be criticized for is being 0-5 vs the Patriots. We haven't had enough of a sample size vs the Steelers or Raiders with Chuck as Coach, he is 0-2 vs the Steelers (1 of those losses was without Luck) and 0-1 vs Carr's Raiders. With Chuck as Coach we have made a Championship Game and have beat the Broncos 3 times with Peyton, the Packers twice with Rodgers, and the Seahawks once with Wilson.

Quoting facts will not change the minds of the ones who blame Pagano of all the Colts faults.

They will be the same ones who will blame Pagano if the Colts don't win the division and a playoff game or two even with 60% new players. As it stands right now the Colts are too young and inexperienced to make a serious run into the playoffs. That is reality but that will make no difference to the ones who will not accept it and someone needs to get fired because they think that's the answer.