Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts: 10 Things You Need To Know

DaveA1102

"The MMQB’s Andy Benoit ranks every NFL team based on roster talent and gives 10 thoughts on each club throughout training camp. The No. 19 Indianapolis Colts had to take the good with the bad when it came to Andrew Luck last year. He made more spectacular plays than any quarterback in the NFL, but far too many negative ones as well. Can he stay healthy and make the necessary fixes?"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/14/indianapolis-colts-training-camp-season-preview-andrew-luck

An interesting read from an external set of eyes.  Aside from having "the most unappealing linebacking corps in the NFL" plenty of positive comments. 

Interested to hear people's opinions that TY Hilton is "not a pure No. 1" despite leading the NFL in receiving yards last year.

I love TY, but he is not a #1 WR.  He gets a lot of looks from Luck and can make some great plays.  And then he can also completely disappear, plus he is not a go to in the redzone.  When you think of greats like Marvin and Reggie you think of them and the fade or quick slant.  They were a redzone target for sure.

1. As far as Luck cutting down on mental mistakes by throwing shorter passes - agreed. As many have stated on this forum, Chud needs to work in more screens, slants and dump offs. Hopefully, Marlon Mack will be utilized. 

2. The right mixture of runs, short passes and occasional deep throws will keep defenses on their toes.

3. Finally! A national reporter who recognizes the Oline is improving. (A critical piece to make any offensive scheme work.)

4. The emergence of Swoope (once he gets back) could be a mis-match for some teams. Doyle is pretty reliable as a receiver.

5. Would love to see somebody step up as an above average blocker for runs. Maybe see some 3 TE sets in the red zone?

6. TY Hilton - King makes a good point about TY getting jammed. But to say he's not a no. 1 receiver...I would argue there's a lot of teams that would use him as their no. 1.

7.  Probably one of our biggest concerns - the pass rush ( or lack there of). My questions regarding that are: Can the secondary be good enough to create some cover sacks? Can we get push up the middle? Will someone step up and be a double digit sack guy?

8. TJ Green - he looked pretty good Sunday. I wrote him off as being used as a gunner but IF he shows improvement, he could ease the pain of losing Geathers

9. DLine improvement- Hated to see a couple of big runs against us Sunday. With Hankins and Anderson back, it's not unreasonable to think this aspect of the run defense will improve and help the LBs in the process. If Morrison / Bostic are as advertised, the Colts could actually be stout against the run. 

10. Loss of Geathers - see # 8. Farley could be a serviceable backup as well.

39 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

6. TY Hilton - King makes a good point about TY getting jammed. But to say he's not a no. 1 receiver...I would argue there's a lot of teams that would use him as their no. 1.

I do think by stacking, they can get more free releases for TY plus scheming him open other ways by lining him up all over the place, which they typically do. I do think, if he is being jammed a bit more than usual, you move him across the field like an Edelman with pick play possibilities and with his speed, his YAC would be deadly.

Belichick takes Antonio Brown out of games, for crying out loud, so don't evaluate him vs the Patriots. If our #2 wide out keeps burning the other teams, it would go a long way with TY going even further to cement his #1 status, IMO.

I think I'm closer to the "it's dumb to think T.Y isn't #1" than not, but I can at least appreciate that his game isn't the same as Julio Jones or Dez Bryant or whoever, but the end results are often just as good. Lots of yards and TDs..

I'm more confused by people who are getting their kicks by calling Luck a Bust. I get it, some people are trolls, some people are jealous and some people are dumb- but if you really honestly believe he's not a good QB, I can't really take that person's football knowledge seriously. His game does need some refinement, but he's as individually talented as any QB you can toss at me that's name isn't Arron Rodgers.

4 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Saying TY isnt a true #1 is so dumb it makes my brain hurt.

It depends on what you mean by a "True #1"

I think a lot of people are looking for a WR with no weaknesses to his game. . . someone who can do anything and everything.  TY has a glaring weakness with his size.  This tends to hurt him with his touchdown total as most of his TD's come on long passes.  Whereas in the red-zone Luck looks towards Doyle or Moncrief.  

Other people just define it by who's getting the receptions and the yards.  In that case TY is clearly a true #1 and one of the top receivers in the NFL.

6 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Interested to hear people's opinions that TY Hilton is "not a pure No. 1" despite leading the NFL in receiving yards last year.

ridiculous.   i dont see how anyone can still be saying that

technically a #1 receiver is who ever leads your team in yardage.  its that simple

ty has done that like 3 or 4 years in a row.  he would be the first option on 20+ teams