Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Curious Career of Barkevious Mingo

BlueShoe

Mingo is by far the most athletic linebacker on the Colts roster. His first step is quicker than most defensive backs. His combine measurements were off the charts, and that is why he was drafted 6th overall in 2013.

His athletic ability was even easy to see today. He sticks out!

Yet he has only started in 16 games (playing in 62) over his 4 year career. He did not start a single game in 2016 for the Patriots. 

It is amazing how someone can have all of those tools and never become a star in this league.

The curious career of Barkevious Mingo would only make sense if he has some kind of mental issue. Certainly, nothing physically is holding him back.

He reminds me of another ex Brown/Colt (running back) Benjamin Gay. Ben was one of the most impressive physically gifted players I have ever seen, but he could not get out of his own way. 

I hope Mingo gets it figured out, because he is a physically talented player.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Is Robert Mathis officially our LB coach? He seems to have taken a liking to coaching beyond the consultant role, it seems like. Was it him on the sidelines today with a headset on?

I think he is a volunteer coach, but that is good enough for me. :)

Just now, chad72 said:

So, I wasn't imagining it, it was him on the sidelines, right? 

You are 100% correct. :)

He has been with us as a volunteer coach for the entire offseason. 

At training camp in Lucas, the crowd roared when Mathis walked onto the field. They roared again as Lamey introduced him to the crowd. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

To hear Rick Venturi say, he says Mingo's issue has always been that he can't convert speed to power.

It is just amazing. 

It is hard to imagine a guy this talented not becoming a star in this league. 

He very well could get cut in a few weeks. It is slightly possible. And yet he has more tools than any linebacker on this team. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

So, I wasn't imagining it, it was him on the sidelines, right? 

Yes sir.

I know he's been around a lot, and they keep calling him Coach Mathis, but when I saw this picture I went and checked the coaching roster to see if he had been made an actual member of the staff. This seems kind of official, but he's still a volunteer coach, apparently.

IMO, he's more than welcome to be a full time coach. He's been around all offseason, might as well make it official. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes sir.

I know he's been around a lot, and they keep calling him Coach Mathis, but when I saw this picture I went and checked the coaching roster to see if he had been made an actual member of the staff. This seems kind of official, but he's still a volunteer coach, apparently.

IMO, he's more than welcome to be a full time coach. He's been around all offseason, might as well make it official. 

He will be a full time coach probably soon. He pretty much is now, just doesn't have the title.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes sir.

Maybe he wants to volunteer for a year and get some coaching experience.  Probably is not hurting for pay, and the Colts already have a LB coach and an OLB coach.  Would seem like a natural for the OLB Coach position, though.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

It is just amazing. 

He very well could get cut in a few weeks. It is slightly possible. And yet he has more tools than any linebacker on this team. 

I think it's highly probable.

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

coaches put in a lot of hours, i wonder if mathis really wants to go full time

He made comments early in the offseason that made me think he doesn't want to go full time, but then he turns around and spends the entire offseason at the facility. Maybe he had the itch and wasn't sure he wanted to commit just yet, but has taken to it. Or maybe he's just having fun for now, and will step away soon. 

18 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Maybe he wants to volunteer for a year and get some coaching experience.  Probably is not hurting for pay, and the Colts already have a LB coach and an OLB coach.  Would seem like a natural for the OLB Coach position, though.

They could create a position for him, I'm sure.

Just now, Superman said:

He made comments early in the offseason that made me think he doesn't want to go full time, but then he turns around and spends the entire offseason at the facility. Maybe he had the itch and wasn't sure he wanted to commit just yet, but has taken to it. Or maybe he's just having fun for now, and will step away soon. 

That is kind of my read on it too.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes sir.

Rubber bands and gum baby!

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Is Robert Mathis going to be an assistant LB coach? He seems to have taken a liking to coaching beyond the consultant role, it seems like. Was it him on the sidelines today with a headset on?

14 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think he is a volunteer coach, but that is good enough for me. :)

Yes, it was Mathis

It is just amazing. 

IMO this is one of the mistakes Grigson made.  He equated measurables with talent.  And that's just not the case.  Elite measurables does not mean a talented player.

Mingo is by far the most athletic linebacker on the Colts roster. His first step is quicker than most defensive backs. His combine measurements were off the charts, and that is why he was drafted 6th overall in 2013.

His athletic ability was even easy to see today. He sticks out!

Yet he has only started in 16 games (playing in 62) over his 4 year career. He did not start a single game in 2016 for the Patriots. 

It is amazing how someone can have all of those tools and never become a star in this league.

The curious career of Barkevious Mingo would only make sense if he has some kind of mental issue. Certainly, nothing physically is holding him back.

He reminds me of another ex Brown/Colt (running back) Benjamin Gay. Ben was one of the most impressive physically gifted players I have ever seen, but he could not get out of his own way. 

I hope Mingo gets it figured out, because he is a physically talented player.

I'm pulling for Mingo to make the team, and since he's an OLB he should make it 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes sir.

It still feels weird seeing him in coaching gear.  I just want to be like, "Rob, you look like an id*ot.  Go put on a uniform and crush #9."  

Seriously though, glad to see him still wearing blue, even if he's got a headset on.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

IMO this is one of the mistakes Grigson made.  He equated measurables with talent.  And that's just not the case.  Elite measurables does not mean a talented player.

That might be true, but Barkevious Mingo was signed by Chris Ballard this year.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You're absolutely correct. However, it is puzzling when the physical talent is elite and the player doesn't even perform at an average level. 

52 minutes ago, lester said:

That might be true, but Barkevious Mingo was signed by Greg Ballard this year.

I know.  Just pointing out that athletic ability does not mean talented football player.  I used Grigs as someone whom I felt did the same thing.  Ballard does not seem that way but one off season is not really enough to make that determination.

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You're absolutely correct. However, it is puzzling when the physical talent is elite and the player doesn't even perform at an average level. 

It is puzzling and there are so many things that go into it.  Maybe he doesn't put in the work in the offseason or in the film room, maybe it's just a matter of not having that feel for when to do something. For example, Reggie White was not superior athletically but he knew exactly when to make his move, he felt when the other guy was off balance and his timing was superb and he would toss around 300lb lineman like they were ragdolls. 

That is why I always cringe when people talk about a players stock rising or falling based on combine performance.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You sure got that right. I like how you said elite measurables does not necessarily corelate to even a talented player let alone an elite one.

Wiser heads than both you and me have fallen into the trap of the workout warrior. Maybe it's part hubris, they convince themselves they can teach them football, that's the "easy" part after all. 

Adongo, Adongo, my kingdom for an Adongo! 

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It is puzzling and there are so many things that go into it.  Maybe he doesn't put in the work in the offseason or in the film room, maybe it's just a matter of not having that feel for when to do something. For example, Reggie White was not superior athletically but he knew exactly when to make his move, he felt when the other guy was off balance and his timing was superb and he would toss around 300lb lineman like they were ragdolls. 

That is why I always cringe when people talk about a players stock rising or falling based on combine performance.

We are definitely in agreement. 

Just kind writing my thoughts down. 

To be honest, Arden Key is starting to look a lot like Mingo. Unbelievable physical talent, but other issues are obviously there. Everyone will fall in love with him though. 

17 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

It is just amazing. 

Excet the tools required on game day. Geesh

I was really pumped when the Patriots got Mingo last summer... I don't know why, but I expected him to blossom after languishing in Cleveland. I was way wrong. He had some nice games in the preseason, when game-plans become secondary and it's more about individual battles. But that never manifested into anything "real" during the regular season. I think  he's one of those incredibly (physically) talented players who just doesn't have what it takes mentally to excel in the league. 

I don't hold last season against Mingo. The Pats traded for him on Aug 25th, so he had no training camp and very little preseason with the team. For a young, raw player like Mingo to go from the Browns to the Pats at that time of the year is setting him up for failure. He would have been behind the curve for most of, if not all of the season. This year, he's had a full offseason in our defense and has been able to work with Mathis and our staff. I'm hoping with the right team and coaching, he can finally start to put it together.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:22 PM, RockThatBlue said:

He will be a full time coach probably soon. He pretty much is now, just doesn't have the title.

This is probably a good way to get his start in coaching.  Hang around with the Colts for a year doing the work but not getting paid (He's not hurting for money.)  

Along the way a person who coached him in the past or one of the coaches who's working with him now will give him a ring for a full time gig in the future.  It may not be with the Colts per-se but it will get his foot in the door.  

So much of staying employed in the coaching business seems to be about networking with other coaches.