Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Update

TKnight24

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I thought the Irsay quote about considering a different back-up QB this off-season but the "prace was too high" was the most disappointing thing said all day.      Perhaps this off-season.

It's not like we're up against the salary cap wall. 

And the difference is between say Ryan Fitzgerald and Scott Tolzein.     I mean how much could a quality back-up have cost the Colts?!?

I think this was a lame answer......

It almost makes me think that he poster who claimed that during a meeting with season ticket hoklders this off-season,  Irsay was alleged to have said that it might not be the worst thing if the team just had an awful year to give Ballard the chance to pick high in every round wouldn't be such a bad idea...

That quote didn't get much traction here when it was said,  but it has stuck with me all off-season.

It will make me look at how we handle our business this year even closer than normal.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jim says it more than most.  I don't think it's ripping Jim just an observation, in the long run it doesn't really matter how much he says it.

I think when most people typically make this comment about someone,  it's said as a knock on the individual and not just an observation.      It's a negative comment and not something neutral.

O come on people...I mean I know this is ya'lls team. Every batch of fans is kind of like this right now but ya'll are about to give yourselves brain hemorrhages. What is this team going to do with a veteran backup? Watch him throw 6 interceptions like the 1 that was supposed to game manage the Jets to the SB? Tolzein knows the offense and has been decent, and occasionally great, as a Colt. 

And the tanking theories are amfootball level conspiracies lol! But I do get it...I'm a Seminoles fan waiting on Alabama in week 1 over here :Nuke::Nuke::Nuke:

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think when most people typically make this comment about someone,  it's said as a knock on the individual and not just an observation.      It's a negative comment and not something neutral.

Agree to disagree you can make an obersvation like that without meaning to knock the person.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agree to disagree you can make an obersvation like that without meaning to knock the person.  

Yes,  you can in life use it without it being a knock.

But typically here?      On this website?

When someone here says it,  9 times out of 10 (and that may be low...)   it's intended as an insult.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought the Irsay quote about considering a different back-up QB this off-season but the "prace was too high" was the most disappointing thing said all day.      Perhaps this off-season.

It's not like we're up against the salary cap wall. 

And the difference is between say Ryan Fitzgerald and Scott Tolzein.     I mean how much could a quality back-up have cost the Colts?!?

I think this was a lame answer......

It almost makes me think that he poster who claimed that during a meeting with season ticket hoklders this off-season,  Irsay was alleged to have said that it might not be the worst thing if the team just had an awful year to give Ballard the chance to pick high in every round wouldn't be such a bad idea...

That quote didn't get much traction here when it was said,  but it has stuck with me all off-season.

It will make me look at how we handle our business this year even closer than normal.

What about F. Scott Fitzgerald? :sip:

I wish Irsay didn't speak on the team so often. I don't believe anything he says publicly...he's usually either misdirecting people from bad news or softening them for other bad news.

If Irsay is talking about having a bad season, I would think it has to be tied to Luck's health then. I would also think that neither Ballard or Pagano wants that. So the only way it happens is if Luck is out for an extended period...which would suck.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless you're giving a scripted speech,  most everyone except the most gifted speakers in the world say "ummm" a LOT.

That's what people do....

I like Irsay.  He is a good owner, better than his dad anyway.  He cares about the team as much as us fans do.

But he does say "um" a LOT more than most people when speaking.  I have trouble watching him speak at length about anything because he says it so darn much.  :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I like Irsay.  He is a good owner, better than his dad anyway.  He cares about the team as much as us fans do.

But he does say "um" a LOT more than most people when speaking.  I have trouble watching him speak at length about anything because he says it so darn much.  :dunno:

UM what do you mean? :thmup:

16 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The colts need a quality backup QB, and have since Matt retired. I would be fine with drafting one next year. For now we have to deal with whoever makes the final cut. 

The Colts have been long overdue to draft a later round QB to groom as a long term backup. And I'm not talking about just bringing in an undrafted guy, I'm talking about investing a 4th or 5th round pick on a talented passer to learn and grow in the system so when we have situations like we're in now, we won't be as panicky. 

5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

If Andrew is truly throwing the football now, then that is a welcome sign. I really hope he is taking advice to take his time with this. I'm all for patience and protecting the future. 

Yeah, I don't think the Colts are too worried about when he comes back. Because I think they think they're in rebuild mode anyway. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

The Colts have been long overdue to draft a later round QB to groom as a long term backup. And I'm not talking about just bringing in an undrafted guy, I'm talking about investing a 4th or 5th round pick on a talented passer to learn and grow in the system so when we have situations like we're in now, we won't be as panicky. 

I agree with you but for some reason I don't think it is the mindset of our org

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

when are the Colts going to host an open tryout? i'll take a shot

Im in, that is as long as they are offering cortisone shots before and after the tryout.  

Lets see, I will need one in each hip, my left knee and at least one shoulder but both would make it easier on me.  On second thought, cortisone before and morphine after, lol

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Completely agree. Maybe next year? Hopefully our list of needs won't be too great. 

Do ya'll realize that, in a bizarre turn of events, Pagano (and to a lesser extent Luck) and some other coaches job's were basically saved by the fall to mediocrity? The tops insiders were saying that Irsay was cleaning house as soon as the Colts lost to the Pats in the playoffs again. That obviously never happened but not because they beat them.

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

They did try with Harnish but he was a seventh round pick Luck's rookie year.  Hasselbeck delayed that need somewhat and since then they have needed just about every pick they have to address issues.  Still I wouldn't be against drafting a new backup QB next year.

On August 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Malakai432 said:

I'll take a rusty 50% Luck over Tolzien, as long as he's cleared obviously and healthy.  

Exactly right M-432. Tolzien a nice kid, but can you rely on him in a pitch? Hades no. 

On August 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM, TKnight24 said:

I get none of our backups are world class but you gotta go with the better player 

Tired of coaches picking players just because they know the playbook more or they're the vet. Put your best players out there 

Tolzien is not the best QB. I don't care what he does in practice, it's not translating to winning football on the field 

Wade Phillips has to be kicking his dentures waiting to unleash that Rams defense on Tolzien come week 1

That's what scares me man. Scott's gonna look like a deflated whoopee cushion by halftime. Is he an organ donor? Man, it's gonna be brutal. I wish we had QB Ryan Nassib instead actually. I liked him in games I saw when he played for BIG BLUE in NY. 

On August 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM, TKnight24 said:

The Andrew Luck Civil War tweet reminded me of this Saturday Night Live skit starring comedian Jimmy Fallon. I don't care for Fallon that much. However, this routine made me chuckle pretty good. 

Ironic how letters & dialogue from the 19th Century was more elaborate than 140 characters & a cell phone symbol isn't it? The historian in me loves crazy crap like this which is very entertaining. :thmup:

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'm sorry,  but no.     This is completely wrong on every imaginable level.

The Colts are years behind schedule because Grigson (Correctly) spent his draft capital on offense, but he kept getting it wrong.      That's why he spent his free agent rescources on defense,  which he also got wrong which is why Ryan Grigson is out of a job.

But the back-up QB position has been in capable hands for 4 of the last 5 years.     A year with Drew Stanton (12) and 3 years of Matt Hasselbeck (13/14/15)     The one year where we didn't do as well as we would've liked is last year 2016, with Scott Tolzein,  and now it's two years running because we chose to stay with Tolzein.

But who would spend a 4 or a 5,  draft picks that you would ordinarly use on guys who are going to actually play for multiple years on a back-up QB,  who, in a perfect setting, is designed not to play a meaningful snap.

If the roster was more advanced,  then I'd be fine with it.      But our roster has been so poor,  that a 4 or a 5 has been needed on players that are going to play a lot,  not standing on the sidelines holding a clip board.

Besides,  with the quality back-ups that we've had,  all purchased in free agency,   the Colts have done just fine up until last year.      So we are not in any way "long overdue" to drafting and developing a back-up QB.

I don't know where this stuff comes from.   

I'm sorry,  I don't mean to be harsh....    but the Colts have mostly been handling this spot right,  and the fans are still complaining aobut something that they shouldn't be.....

On 8/13/2017 at 8:05 PM, BloodyChamp said:

It's the Rams. Even if he stinks this team is doomed if 10 other guys can't win 1 game against the Rams. Luck wouldn't be the difference between winning and losing. I'd sit him just to make sure he's good and jacked up when it's time to play, and as bonus he gets 2 more weeks rest. That's not usually my logic but the flippin Rams man.

I'm not buying that the Rams are going to be a bad team this year. They have a top 10 D, Tavon Austin, Todd Gurley, & they just acquired Sammy Watkins. And I expect Goff will make some huge strides from his rookie season under their new offensive-minded head coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'll be this year's version of the 2016 Falcons, but I'm definitely not sleeping on them.

35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not buying that the Rams are going to be a bad team this year. They have a top 10 D, Tavon Austin, Todd Gurley, & they just acquired Sammy Watkins. And I expect Goff will make some huge strides from his rookie season under their new offensive-minded head coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'll be this year's version of the 2016 Falcons, but I'm definitely not sleeping on them.

Yeah they got lots of talent. If they put it together they'll be very dangerous. My only hope is that since it's week 1, maybe they won't be as assimilated together as a team. Better than playing them like week 9 when everything could potentially be coming around for them.

14 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Im in, that is as long as they are offering cortisone shots before and after the tryout.  

Lets see, I will need one in each hip, my left knee and at least one shoulder but both would make it easier on me.  On second thought, cortisone before and morphine after, lol

LOL! Well, they wouldn't even take me seriously with my 5'7" 125lb body frame. But I think I deserve a shot at least..

5 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

LOL! Well, they wouldn't even take me seriously with my 5'7" 125lb body frame. But I think I deserve a shot at least..

Size is deceptive! I'm jealous haha, I'm also 5'7 but I weigh 200... I was not nice to my body in college... :P

Just now, RollerColt said:

Size is deceptive! I'm jealous haha, I'm also 5'7 but I weigh 200... I was not nice to my body in college... :P

It definitely is deceptive, I was always the fastest on any sports team, and very agile. But... too short for basketball in college.. and too small for football :(..  I cant seem to gain any weight lol I've been the same since Junior in high school. I'm 26 now (and married they said that'd help with weight gain) bahaa

Throw out the calendar. Throw out all medical opinions. Throw out all management and coaches opinions.

What is critical is how well the OL protects. If in fact he is "healed" and he is again stomped on by the opposing defense he would be smart to take out his contract and a bus ticket and get out of Indy.

59 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Throw out the calendar. Throw out all medical opinions. Throw out all management and coaches opinions.

What is critical is how well the OL protects. If in fact he is "healed" and he is again stomped on by the opposing defense he would be smart to take out his contract and a bus ticket and get out of Indy.

Maybe it is you who needs a ticket out of Indy? All you seem to contribute is negative. If that's your true feelings for the Colts why are you here?

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Ehh I guess it all depends on how much you like Goff.  Gurley might as well be a scrub behind that OL, and Watkins won't be much of a boost without a competent QB.

Goff was so, so bad last year that I have a hard time not thinking they'll be terrible again.

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Ehh I guess it all depends on how much you like Goff.  Gurley might as well be a scrub behind that OL, and Watkins won't be much of a boost without a competent QB.

Goff was so, so bad last year that I have a hard time not thinking they'll be terrible again.

It's not how much I like Goff, it's how much I like Sean McVay and his ability to scheme around a QB's strengths. He's the guy that made Kirk Cousins a household name, so I don't really see any reason he can't do the same with Goff.