Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ugh!

Rally5

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Seriously, this is the type of reaction I'd expect after an 0-4 start in the regular season, not after losing the first preseason game.

I think the reaction is somewhat warranted because we are probably using Tolzien in the regular season for a few games, and this could easily be a mirror image of what happens offensively and defensively. If Luck were 100% starting, I'd say it would be a huge overreaction, but seeing how he might miss a few games, I can sympathize with people here.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think the reaction is somewhat warranted because we are probably using Tolzien in the regular season for a few games, and this could easily be a mirror image of what happens offensively and defensively. If Luck were 100% starting, I'd say it would be a huge overreaction, but seeing how he might miss a few games, I can sympathize with people here.

Tolzien is bad, but game planning for a preseason game is always very vanilla on both sides of the ball, & on top of that, a lot of starters were sitting this one out, not just Luck. Gauging anything from today's game is premature.

I didn't like the way the team played in general; they were sloppy, unfocused, too many penalties (simple stuff, like OL going too far down field on screen plays), too many missed tackles, etc. It kind of makes me wonder what they've been doing for the past two weeks. 

Pagano had a little edge to him in his post game presser. He spoke bluntly about some issues, like Rogers fielding that punt at the three yard line. He gave Rogers a talking to on the sideline after that play, too. 

He also ended his presser by saying no one should feel safe. He was talking about guys who have been injured and unavailable in practice and in the games. This came on the heels of him making similar comments when talking about Bug Howard taking 'a million reps' in Thursday's practice, how he pushed himself through discomfort and continued to perform, as opposed to guys who don't know whether they can do that or not. He said today he needs 53 guys who are tough, smart, and available.

Both times he's made that comment, I couldn't help but think about Dorsett. It's been one thing after another with him, a nagging injury, a hamstring, etc. I don't think any of this is his fault, but it's not the team's fault, either. I have never really thought that Dorsett could be on the chopping block, but now I think he is. There's still about three weeks until cutdown, and Dorsett was reportedly having a pretty good camp before this latest setback. Then the real competition starts, with Detroit coming for joint practices and then the preseason game, and now Dorsett is on the shelf, again. He better prove he has what it takes, and fast. And if he just can't stay healthy, that's too bad, but he can't help the team if he can't stay on the field. 

Gonna be an interesting season, I think. 

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Tolzien is bad, but game planning for a preseason game is always very vanilla on both sides of the ball, & on top of that, a lot of starters were sitting this one out, not just Luck. Gauging anything from today's game is premature.

I agree, and I said so in another thread. This is just a situation where the QB play today will be very similar to the actual QB play should Luck miss time. The rest of our team should be better, however. Like I said in the other thread, I'm watching the rookies and FA's and seeing what we get out of them. When they start to all struggle, that's when I panic. Didn't see that today though.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't like the way the team played in general; they were sloppy, unfocused, too many penalties (simple stuff, like OL going too far down field on screen plays), too many missed tackles, etc. It kind of makes me wonder what they've been doing for the past two weeks. 

Pagano had a little edge to him in his post game presser. He spoke bluntly about some issues, like Rogers fielding that punt at the three yard line. He gave Rogers a talking to on the sideline after that play, too. 

He also ended his presser by saying no one should feel safe. He was talking about guys who have been injured and unavailable in practice and in the games. This came on the heels of him making similar comments when talking about Bug Howard taking 'a million reps' in Thursday's practice, how he pushed himself through discomfort and continued to perform, as opposed to guys who don't know whether they can do that or not. He said today he needs 53 guys who are tough, smart, and available.

Both times he's made that comment, I couldn't help but think about Dorsett. It's been one thing after another with him, a nagging injury, a hamstring, etc. I don't think any of this is his fault, but it's not the team's fault, either. I have never really thought that Dorsett could be on the chopping block, but now I think he is. There's still about three weeks until cutdown, and Dorsett was reportedly having a pretty good camp before this latest setback. Then the real competition starts, with Detroit coming for joint practices and then the preseason game, and now Dorsett is on the shelf, again. He better prove he has what it takes, and fast. And if he just can't stay healthy, that's too bad, but he can't help the team if he can't stay on the field. 

Good info Supe! I think Dorsett could easily be gone as well. It was a weak game for the most part. Unlike the last couple years, I didn't see anyone standout today in the first preseason game, and that is slightly worrisome. I get the offense, but I'd of liked to see a defensive standout and there wasn't much. John Simon got an INT, but that's not going to happen much. There's always next week though.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good info Supe! I think Dorsett could easily be gone as well. It was a weak game for the most part. Unlike the last couple years, I didn't see anyone standout today in the first game, and that is slightly worrisome. I get the offense, but I'd of liked to see a defensive standout and there wasn't much. John Simon got an INT, but that's not going to happen much. There's always next week though.

Half of the projected starters -- presumably the team's best players -- didn't play. But Vontae is the one who made the play on the Simon pick, and he looked good in general. Sheard did some nice things, but he also had a blown run contain, which is annoying. Most of the young guys had some good, some bad, like Quincy. 

Basham had a good game, I thought. He was active and disruptive. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Great coaches demand performance from everyone who takes the field.  Everyone.  It may not produce a win, but the details -- avoiding penalties, good tackling -- these things are instilled daily until they become second nature for everyone.  Poor execution is just a bad sign.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Half of the projected starters -- presumably the team's best players -- didn't play. But Vontae is the one who made the play on the Simon pick, and he looked good in general. Sheard did some nice things, but he also had a blown run contain, which is annoying. Most of the young guys had some good, some bad, like Quincy. 

Basham had a good game, I thought. He was active and disruptive. 

Basham looked good, no sacks, but he was definitely disruptive. Would like to see him get lots of playing time this year. Quincy was so-so, and I thought Malik looked good. Just didn't see any standouts, just some good performances. It's early though, and there's always next week to improve some more. I'd just like to see a big INT, a 50 yd TD catch, a huge sack by a LB. Something to get the juices going and gain confidence.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basham looked good, no sacks, but he was definitely disruptive. Would like to see him get lots of playing time this year. Quincy was so-so, and I thought Malik looked good. Just didn't see any standouts, just some good performances. It's early though, and there's always next week to improve some more. I'd just like to see a big INT, a 50 yd TD catch, a huge sack by a LB. Something to get the juices going and gain confidence.

I thought the INT on the opening position was very nice play, from there the only play to get excited about that stood out to me was the pass where Tolizen threaded the needle.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I thought the INT on the opening position was very nice play, from there the only play to get excited about that stood out to me was the pass where Tolizen threaded the needle.  

Yeah, the INT was nice, I just know that Vontae is an excellent player, so he's capable of doing something like that already, and Simon will rarely get INT's. If it was Hooker or Wilson, I would of popped for it a lot more. 

The Lions backup QB's made our D  and our backup QB's look bad in comparison.  We were sloppy,at times demonstrating poor technique too often, and showed some lack of fundamentals.  And a bad play that looked like was on a certain player, may have actually been on another.  Example - I believe I heard Jim Sorgi credit the illegal downfield penalty on the QB, not the actual lineman.  He says its a timing thing, and lineman go upfield after a certain count.  He mentioned that the QB has to have delivered the ball before that time frame is up, and he didn't do it on that play.  Thus the flag. 

There is plenty of time before the season... time to evaluate guys, time to coach up guys and fix some things.  My gut feeling is Luck does make it back right around game 1.  But we still have to prepare like he wont. As a side, i'm not used to the Colts winning in pre-season, so the score doesn't affect me at all.  The closer we get to the season beginning, the more I'll be concerned about fundamentals and standard of play.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, the INT was nice, I just know that Vontae is an excellent player, so he's capable of doing something like that already, and Simon will rarely get INT's. If it was Hooker or Wilson, I would of popped for it a lot more. 

I was excited to see the Colts grab a ball like that.  Last year it seemed like when the ball was knocked up in the air like that no Colts were around it to make a play on it or worse the other team caught it.  Today two guys were there.  Maybe that's luck or maybe it's a sign we have better guys at being in the right spot at the right time to make plays like that.  Time will tell

Expectations are a bit high here for sure, but there's a ton of new parts working together here. It ain't gonna look pretty this fast.

I'm sure I will get yelled at during the season at some point by fellow fans here :) for being negative about the team, but for now I gotta give extra slack to everyone in general. There's new players everywhere.

I'm prepared for some struggles this year, they're learning to play with each other and we don't have much injury wiggle room anywhere on this team.

It was actually nice seeing some early positives on some of the draft picks and  udfa's (Wilson, Hooker, Northwestern MLB, that small quick return guy, the Temple CB, new Punter pinning a couple nice deep ones).

On top of all the new faces, the familiar faces weren't on the field.

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Lions backup QB's made our D  and our backup QB's look bad in comparison.  We were sloppy,at times demonstrating poor technique too often, and showed some lack of fundamentals.  And a bad play that looked like was on a certain player, may have actually been on another.  Example - I believe I heard Jim Sorgi credit the illegal downfield penalty on the QB, not the actual lineman.  He says its a timing thing, and lineman go upfield after a certain count.  He mentioned that the QB has to have delivered the ball before that time frame is up, and he didn't do it on that play.  Thus the flag. 

There is plenty of time before the season... time to evaluate guys, time to coach up guys and fix some things.  My gut feeling is Luck does make it back right around game 1.  But we still have to prepare like he wont. As a side, i'm not used to the Colts winning in pre-season, so the score doesn't affect me at all.  The closer we get to the season beginning, the more I'll be concerned about fundamentals and standard of play.

The flags bothered me the most just because the Colts have a history of being undisciplined in that regard under Pagano.  With that said a lot of Colts didn't play today forcing some weird lineups like two guys starting on the oline who probably won't make the team.  So that could account for some of it.

Your point about Sorgi is a good reminder that we don't really know half of what's going on out there.  We just see something happen and appoint blame when in reality it might not have been their fault.  This is especially true in the pre-season when you have so many young guys and inexperienced guys out there.  However, coaches see it all on tape and more importantly know exactly what was supposed to happen on a play so they can see who really messed up on a play.  

I didn't get to see any of it and was coming home today after a long weekend away from a mini vacay.

But, I would not panic. Detroit is often a preseason powerhouse and even can beat up the Patriots some years in preseason. Sure the team without Luck is a concern, a great one. But unless Matt Hasselbeck can come back 100% and a few years younger I doubt any other veteran QB can jump in right now and be a savior.

The Rams are pretty bad.........so even if Luck is not there I won't say we can't win week 1 or won't win that game.

Defense, o line and what not..........hard to judge in the first preseason game.

It's preseason guys........

s-l300.jpg

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I think Ballard and Pagano are going to be on the same page, much more than we might have been expecting. There are going to be some surprise cuts, more than we are used to. I also think Ballard is already looking forward to pick up a guy or two when everybody cut their team to 53. 

56 minutes ago, Jules said:

I didn't get to see any of it and was coming home today after a long weekend away from a mini vacay.

But, I would not panic. Detroit is often a preseason powerhouse and even can beat up the Patriots some years in preseason. Sure the team without Luck is a concern, a great one. But unless Matt Hasselbeck can come back 100% and a few years younger I doubt any other veteran QB can jump in right now and be a savior.

The Rams are pretty bad.........so even if Luck is not there I won't say we can't win week 1 or won't win that game.

Defense, o line and what not..........hard to judge in the first preseason game.

It's preseason guys........

s-l300.jpg

Colts winless in the 2006 Pre-Season = SB Champs, Lions undefeated in the 2008 Pre-Season = 0-16. Pre-Season = :sleepy::scorebad:

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts winless in the 2006 Pre-Season = SB Champs, Lions undefeated in the 2008 Pre-Season = 0-16. Pre-Season = :sleepy::scorebad:

While I agree we shouldn't panic, the other side of the pillow shows what our team may be like with Tolzien or something close to him should Luck be out the the first 6 weeks. That's why people are overreacting, they caught a glimpse of the future of what our team could be like without Luck should he not play. The 2006 season we had Manning, who is already much better than Luck at this point. In 2017, we don't have Manning, and we may not have Luck either for a while, so I think we are probably in a lot of trouble for this year unfortunately. Best case scenario, Luck is 100% by the end of the year, and the team improves by a lot.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

While I agree we shouldn't panic, the other side of the pillow shows what our team may be like with Tolzien or something close to him should Luck be out the the first 6 weeks. That's why people are overreacting, they caught a glimpse of the future of what our team could be like without Luck should he not play. The 2006 season we had Manning, who is already much better than Luck at this point. In 2017, we don't have Manning, and we may not have Luck either for a while, so I think we are probably in a lot of trouble for this year unfortunately. Best case scenario, Luck is 100% by the end of the year, and the team improves by a lot.

I get it and I understand everyone's concerns. Until Luck is ruled out for Week 1, I wont worry though. That is just me, obviously if the Colts announce he is out for a month than I will worry and people should unleash. Tolzein just isn't good, Morris is actually more talented IMO.

At 9:42 left to play in the fourth quarter with the ball on the Colt's 10 Detroit throws a quick pass and the Colts missed three (3) consecutive tackles within approx. two seconds.. I counted only one third down conversion in the first half and only a couple in the second. The kick returner went down when the wind blew. hen it is said, "it is preseason", that applies to both teams and yes the Jags beat the Pats this weekend but "how" the Pats numbers compare to the Colts "3 N Out" game plan. So that game I history, time to move on. 

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

At 9:42 left to play in the fourth quarter with the ball on the Colt's 10 Detroit throws a quick pass and the Colts missed three (3) consecutive tackles within approx. two seconds.. I counted only one third down conversion in the first half and only a couple in the second. The kick returner went down when the wind blew. hen it is said, "it is preseason", that applies to both teams and yes the Jags beat the Pats this weekend but "how" the Pats numbers compare to the Colts "3 N Out" game plan. So that game I history, time to move on. 

Yeah I know it looked bad but like you just said the Jags won at NE - that is Pre-Season for ya. Hey about them Cubs!

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get it and I understand everyone's concerns. Until Luck is ruled out for Week 1, I wont worry though. That is just me, obviously if the Colts announce he is out for a month than I will worry and people should unleash. Tolzein just isn't good, Morris is actually more talented IMO.

A few things can change by Sept 10th:

1. Luck could be back

2. Tolzien or Morris could clean up their mistakes and play well. (it looked like they were getting pressured all game).

3. Return of starters and even backups like Goode & Swenke on Oline.

4. Guys like Hankins, Bostic, Morrison, Melvin, Morris and Butler return.

5. Correct mistakes than can be corrected like bad tackling, penalties and fielding punts on 5 yard line.

In the meantime, getting these young guys reps will give them the experience to correct some things. Still think we have not seen the team the Colts will be starting this year as a whole and THAT team can win the Division.

8 hours ago, life long said:

I take offense. For one I have had several accounts on here over the years. Secondly, I have been die hard for over 20 years..... I am 28 BTW. When I lived in Indianapolis my dad and I went to every home game for 15 years. I posted on this forum in high school.

Nobody cares.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree.  

Couple of things.   It's the first preseason game.   Not a big deal really.  

However, if we shouldn't be worried with how poorly they played, we shouldn't be happy with anything that went right.  

As for Luck or no Luck.   You hope that you can be a .500 team if you lose your starting QB.   I don't think this team is even close to that.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.  

However, if we shouldn't be worried with how poorly they played, we shouldn't be happy with anything that went right.  

As for Luck or no Luck.   You hope that you can be a .500 team if you lose your starting QB.   I don't think this team is even close to that.  

With Luck I fully believe we will better than .500. Plenty of reasons to believe that being our Defense will be better than last season, our schedule is favorable, and we lost a lot of close games last season on fluky stuff.

22 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

Again Pagano does not have his players ready at the start of the game.

Yeah he should be fired and we should bring Arians back since Arians has led the Cards to the SB lmao. Maybe we should bring in River Boat Ronny since he had a career season last season in Carolina. If you guys are going to keep Posting stuff like this after a game 1 of Pre-Season than I am going to have fun with it.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.  

I think that if you can say you're a playoff team (or even a 10 win team) with a franchise QB, then you should at least be a .500 team with your backup.

Its a good rule of thumb on how your team is built, right?  The Pats are built strong.  The 2011 Colts... 

Obviously, even before this game, we all knew we had a way to go.   

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think that if you can say you're a playoff team (or even a 10 win team) with a franchise QB, then you should at least be a .500 team with your backup.

Its a good rule of thumb on how your team is built, right?  The Pats are built strong.  The 2011 Colts... 

Obviously, even before this game, we all knew we had a way to go.   

If Luck doesn't play at all this season I could see 5-11 but if he plays I can see 11-5/10-6.

I'm going to wait till after week 1 to give an opinion about the team. Makes no sense to do one now since 50% of the players will be cut. Players need to be evaluated/graded and these games is when you do that. 

That's why they call them scrimmage games.

1 minute ago, tfunky14 said:

I'm going to wait till after week 1 to give an opinion about the team. Makes no sense to do one now since 50% of the players will be cut. Players need to be evaluated/graded and these games is when you do that. 

That's why they call them scrimmage games.

If it's announced Andrew will start in Game 1 than I say 10-6. If it's announced he is out for a month we still could go 8-8, if he plays 12 solid healthy weeks. If he misses the season I say 5-11.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

IMO they looked badly coached, just like they've looked for the last 5 years. Mental mistakes(fielding field goals within the 5-10 yard line multiple times), a #ton of penalties, etc. Those are all markers of a team that lacks direction from the coaching staff and attention to detail. Those are things they should have had nailed before camp even started. Those are the most basic of basic things, things they should have ready to go in OTAs. And year after year we get the same thing.. .AGAIN... AND AGAIN... AND AGAIN... AND AGAIN... and every year we wonder what might be the reason. The whole process on the field seem out of whack. And the person in charge of the process has been the same for the last 6 years.

For what it's worth I actually liked the rookies. For a first game and for as much as he was getting tested Wilson looked good in coverage. He needs to work on finding the ball in the final seconds of the possession but I was encouraged by his play. He plays physically and maybe even a bit too aggressive and I like it. Hooker had some good tackles too.

14 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Disappointing none the less.

I did feel we would appear better before yesterdays dismal preseason opener. Many of the same issues have shown from the team as it has in the past. Undisciplined with 1 billion penalties, lacking in the tackling and wrap up and uninspiring offensive showing. Our 1,2,3 teams got outshined in each aspect imho and mop up time at least gave some aspect of outworking the other side of the field. Before I make an opinion on whether this is truly the team going forward or does this coaching and player combo make proper adjustments and come back with a much improved output in the next preseason game (win or lose who cares) will tell a lot about where this team really is moving forward.  I remain very hopeful this team is a 10 win team in the making for the 2017 season.