Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players that impressed you

RockThatBlue

Anyone else curious about this "30 something QB"  who wanted too much cash?  The fact that they didn't want to pay his price makes it seem like they are still at least semi-confident Luck is progressing well, and won't miss much, if any of the reg. season, but the fact they were close enough to bringing a guy in to discuss compensation, makes it seem like they have little, or at least, waning, faith in the non-Luck QB's on the roster.....

My guess is Cutler or Fitzpatrick.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ponyboy said:

My guess is Fitzpatrick, although the signed for 1 year 3M which doesn't sound like too much.  Maybe Cutler?

It is probably Cutler, considering he signed for $10 mil. with Miami. Ballard has Chicago connections and was with the Bears till 2012 before he went to the Chiefs. 

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I am almost positive he is talking about Matt Moore. Which would have been a fantastic pickup for us.

Although Moore is only 33. 

That said, it is Irsay cryptic speak so my guess is he could still be referring to Matt Moore. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is probably Cutler, considering he signed for $10 mil. with Miami. Ballard has Chicago connections and was with the Bears till 2012 before he went to the Chiefs. 

all those people are gone from the Bears front office..

I dont think Jay Cutler was coming to Indy,a team he has absolutely no connection to, to fill in for Andrew Luck for 6 games.

Jay went to Miami because Adam Gase asked him to come

Just now, oldunclemark said:

all those people are gone from the Bears front office..

I dont think Jay Cutler was coming to Indy,a team he has absolutely no connection to, to fill in for Andrew Luck for 6 games.

Jay went to Miami because Adam Gase asked him to come

I was hoping for a Santa Claus connection :) - I meant Santa Claus, Indiana, where Cutler is from.

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I may be biased, but my Georgia Southern brother Edwin Jackson is our best ILB hands down. 

I don't think there is any bias to it. If EJ is not our best ILB then he is certainly our most energetic. He plays like every down might be his last, and he doesn't back down from anyone. 

He continues to grow in our defense, and in my mind he is already on the 53. 

5 hours ago, ponyboy said:

My guess is Fitzpatrick, although the signed for 1 year 3M which doesn't sound like too much.  Maybe Cutler?

Almost has to be one of those two.  I guess there is an outside chance they took a run at Romo but that's probably way outside the box.  If it was Fitz and they deemed 3 mill too expensive it tells me they expect Luck back week one or at worst week two.  Irsay's other comments clearly hinted at that too.  

9 hours ago, #12. said:

Wasn't overly impressed with anyone, to be honest.  No one really jumped off the film.  Locke had a nice punt.  Vontae made a play on the ball. That's about it.  

I will say that Spence must be a much better game player than practice player.  Not sure how he dropped so far on the depth chart.

Spence has had a couple injuries during practice in his past that have caused him to miss time... He might be protecting himself a lot in practice. He might have also underestimated the competition he would face in camp. 

I was surprised when the depth chart came out because Spence has some good tape... the only thing I can think of is that he could be gun shy during the week to save it up for Sundays... Just a theory, though... He might just be a better player than practicer, or maybe it took him a little time to learn the playbook. 

14 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

From what I heard Walker out worked SM in practice

I will assume that game #2 will feature more PT from Morris and less from Waker in order to see a comparison of the two in playing time against live bullets. We all know there are practice warriors and gamers and each shine in those settings and not so much in the other. I will take the guy who shines in the game and less with the guy who only shines in practice where it doesn't count for anything. I don't know if either of these guys are gamers or not but one thing is clear, Tolzein has been awful to mediocre in practice from the reports and showed that same thing in real live action. If we don't have Luck back week one, it won't matter much who is at QB the way the offense looked yesterday. I am not ready though to say this team is doomed for the year and the offense is going to be horrible but I was disappointed in the product they put out yesterday. 

Le'Raven Clark looked good at RT.  He moved to LT for a few plays and he looked really bad there.

Mewhort looked good at RG.  You are never sure when someone switches positions how they will do but he is a good guard no matter which side he lines up on.

The kid filling in for Kelly, Bond, was very surprising.  He looked small out there but he is so quick with the snap and set and his footwork and technique were very good.  IMO this guy has a future in the NFL... probably as a primary backup and the interior positions.

Haeg, I didn't really notice anything good or bad from him which is good.

AC looked his usually top 10 LT self.

Doyle also looked good both blocking and route running.  Too bad he didn't have a QB who could get the ball to him.

Defensively, I thought the starting D looked pretty good.  Wilson, like someone else said, was not out of position  very much.  He is a smooth athlete.

Morris looked good,

Anderson looked good.

Walker struggled at first he seemed to over run lanes or take bad angles but then he started to settle down and play pretty well.  He has a good burst and good strength at the point of attack.  It will be interesting to watch him next week to see if the in game improvement was because of him understanding or because of the drop in competition as Detroit started to bring in the 3/4th level players.

I know this is a thread about players that impressed but I have to say that I think Monachino is a horrible defensive coordinator.  I know he's not game planning for this game but we saw ample proof last year that his game planning is not very good.  But so many times the other team has multiple people wide open and the closest defender is 5 yards upfield.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Le'Raven Clark looked good at RT.  He moved to LT for a few plays and he looked really bad there.

Mewhort looked good at RG.  You are never sure when someone switches positions how they will do but he is a good guard no matter which side he lines up on.

The kid filling in for Kelly, Bond, was very surprising.  He looked small out there but he is so quick with the snap and set and his footwork and technique were very good.  IMO this guy has a future in the NFL... probably as a primary backup and the interior positions.

Haeg, I didn't really notice anything good or bad from him which is good.

AC looked his usually top 10 LT self.

Doyle also looked good both blocking and route running.  Too bad he didn't have a QB who could get the ball to him.

Defensively, I thought the starting D looked pretty good.  Wilson, like someone else said, was not out of position  very much.  He is a smooth athlete.

Morris looked good,

Anderson looked good.

Walker struggled at first he seemed to over run lanes or take bad angles but then he started to settle down and play pretty well.  He has a good burst and good strength at the point of attack.  It will be interesting to watch him next week to see if the in game improvement was because of him understanding or because of the drop in competition as Detroit started to bring in the 3/4th level players.

I know this is a thread about players that impressed but I have to say that I think Monachino is a horrible defensive coordinator.  I know he's not game planning for this game but we saw ample proof last year that his game planning is not very good.  But so many times the other team has multiple people wide open and the closest defender is 5 yards upfield.

Did Haeg play?  I don't recall Haeg playing.   I could be wrong but I thought he was injured.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What did you think of Banner?  I didn't watch a lot of the fine details but I noticed when he gets his hands on a defender it's pretty much over.

That's good to know.  And I didn't really watch Banner, by that time I was kind of disgusting by what I was seeing, I spent more time developing my defensive playbook for my team rather than watching the game

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

What did you think of Banner?  I didn't watch a lot of the fine details but I noticed when he gets his hands on a defender it's pretty much over.

Yeah. I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to offensive line play but I zoned in on Banner and I thought he looked solid. By then most of the pressure was coming from up the middle or on the other side.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah. I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to offensive line play but I zoned in on Banner and I thought he looked solid. By then most of the pressure was coming from up the middle or on the other side.

If Kelly was playing the pressure in the middle wouldn't of happened.

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

He is massive. I actually laughed my butt off on one play. We ran the ball off tackle (right) out of the end zone and Banner looked like a giant compared to the poor soul he punished. It reminded me of the Good high school video we saw. 

I will find the play later and look at Banner closer. 

I too would like to hear @Coffeedrinker thoughts on Banner. I also enjoy reading his thoughts on our offensive linemen. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

He is massive. I actually laughed my butt off on one play. We ran the ball off tackle (right) out of the end zone and Banner looked like a giant compared to the poor soul he punished. It reminded me of the Good high school video we saw. 

I will find the play later and look at Banner closer. 

I too would like to hear @Coffeedrinker thoughts on Banner. I also enjoy hearing his thoughts on the offensive linemen. 

Yeah I saw this one guy come at him off the edge and Banner just basically put some kind of grip on the guy and the guy just couldn't go anywhere.  It was like he tied some rope around his arms or something.

13 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am almost positive he is talking about Matt Moore. Which would have been a fantastic pickup for us.

Although Moore is only 33. 

That said, it is Irsay cryptic speak so my guess is he could still be referring to Matt Moore. 

Pretty sure he signed a 2 year deal in 2016.. no ? So we would have had to trade for him and his base salary looks to be 2.1 mill. So unless Im missing something , it wasn't Moore as he was not a free agent and his "asking price" would not have been  an issue.

I liked some of the penetration we were getting from the interrior D lineman also.  Guys like TY Mcgill and Ridgeway amongst others.   I just felt over all we were getting better penetration from the DL than I've seen us get in the past.  Saw Grover walk the center back into the QBs passing lane on one play.

So the best play of the game was probably the Vontae Davis hit that led to the John Simon INT.  It's very encouraging to see our defensive starters playing well on the first drive.  :thmup:

Anybody else notice that Simon basically took the INT away from Anthony Walker?  I felt bad for the rookie, that pick would have made him look even better.

Locke made me miss McAfee a little less with that perfect punt, but then Sanchez made me REALLY miss McAfee with that awful 35-yd punt that put the Lions on the Colts' 42-yd line...  :facepalm:

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

Pretty sure he signed a 2 year deal in 2016.. no ? So we would have had to trade for him and his base salary looks to be 2.1 mill. So unless Im missing something , it wasn't Moore as he was not a free agent and his "asking price" would not have been  an issue.

Correct. I was thinking it was this year, but it was last season. 

I was very encouraged with Hooker's tackling. 

I thought Morris looked like far and away a better QB than Walker, and I was not very impressed with Tolzien.  We are in trouble if Luck doesn't come back early in the season.

I did not really notice Mack, Ferguson or Turbin, though I didn't get to put full attention on the game until middle of quarter 2.  Pope seemed like he was pretty solid and I won't be shocked if he makes a strong push for the 53.

Vontae seems like he is very determined to get back to pro-bowl form.  He has been feisty in the practices and he brought the wood on the interception that Simon got as a result of Vontae's efforts in coverage.

I was impressed w/ Wilson's physicality, though I think he has quite a bit of improvement to make on his coverage skills.

I'll be interested to see how Natson and Bray split time going forward.  It doesn't really seem like they're trying out others at PR right now, which leads me to believe they are leaning towards having a 6th WR who is really just a return guy. 

On the defensive side of the ball, I was not too thrilled with the results, but it did look like guys were flying around with a little more sense of urgency than I remember seeing from the D in a while.  I like Ayers at LB, and did not get to see enough of Bostic or Morrison to evaluate either of them.  It does at least look to me like our D will be more physical than it has been in the Pagano era, which I think is a good sign.

27 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I was very encouraged with Hooker's tackling. 

I thought Morris looked like far and away a better QB than Walker, and I was not very impressed with Tolzien.  We are in trouble if Luck doesn't come back early in the season.

I did not really notice Mack, Ferguson or Turbin, though I didn't get to put full attention on the game until middle of quarter 2.  Pope seemed like he was pretty solid and I won't be shocked if he makes a strong push for the 53.

Vontae seems like he is very determined to get back to pro-bowl form.  He has been feisty in the practices and he brought the wood on the interception that Simon got as a result of Vontae's efforts in coverage.

I was impressed w/ Wilson's physicality, though I think he has quite a bit of improvement to make on his coverage skills.

I'll be interested to see how Natson and Bray split time going forward.  It doesn't really seem like they're trying out others at PR right now, which leads me to believe they are leaning towards having a 6th WR who is really just a return guy. 

On the defensive side of the ball, I was not too thrilled with the results, but it did look like guys were flying around with a little more sense of urgency than I remember seeing from the D in a while.  I like Ayers at LB, and did not get to see enough of Bostic or Morrison to evaluate either of them.  It does at least look to me like our D will be more physical than it has been in the Pagano era, which I think is a good sign.

Ferguson and Mack are hurt. Turbin played very little

I have this game saved on my DVR & I just saw the Simon says [John Simon] pick off of Matthew Stafford. So let's go with that take away on defense. A good omen. 

I saw Heath Evens slam INDY right before that game started on NFL Network saying the Colts will go 9-7. Man, that guy gets on my darn nerves. He'll rave about Detroit & slam us. Excuse me, have they routinely beaten Aaron Rogers & the Packers in the NFC North? No. Zip it Heath. 

Can't you just picture Heath giving a rousing speech at Normandy during WWII? The water is cold, the sand is wet, & unless Brady or Brees in leading the troops we're all gonna die. Oh brother. Heath takes every opportunity he can to criticize INDY. 

I will return to this thread once I have actually seen the entire game & can offer more feedback. 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I have this game saved on my DVR & I just saw the Simon says [John Simon] pick off of Matthew Stafford. So let's go with that take away on defense. A good omen. 

I saw Heath Evens slam INDY right before that game started on NFL Network saying the Colts will go 9-7. Man, that guy gets on my darn nerves. He'll rave about Detroit & slam us. Excuse me, have they routinely beaten Aaron Rogers & the Packers in the NFC North? No. Zip it Heath. 

Can't you just picture Heath giving a rousing speech at Normandy during WWII? The water is cold, the sand is wet, & unless Brady or Brees in leading the troops we're all gonna die. Oh brother. Heath takes every opportunity he can to criticize INDY. 

I will return to this thread once I have actually seen the entire game & can offer more feedback. 

9-7 is high praise from Heath. He usually picks the Colts to have less than 6 wins each year. But yeah hes a hater for sure. Most NFL Network talking heads are. They do no actual research on what teams other than the Pats or Cowboys do.