Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players that impressed you

RockThatBlue

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

9-7 is high praise from Heath. He usually picks the Colts to have less than 6 wins each year. But yeah hes a hater for sure. Most NFL Network talking heads are. They do no actual research on what teams other than the Pats or Cowboys do.

I do agree that Mr. Evans usually puts our franchise in the 6 win column. Just once, I wish Heath was paired up with Reggie Wayne on NFL Network & he would check him if a Colt topic ever came up on air. 

Uh huh. The Cowboys haven't won a SB trophy since 1995 & all the NFL pundits kiss Jerry Jones caboose like this is the yr when Dallas returns to prominence. It won't happen going on 20 yrs strong now in 2017 either. And yet, these same analysts act like Luck missing the playoffs for 2 yrs is worse that Jerry Jones's club. Oy Vey! 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Green had some nice plays and I was glad to see that.  Quincy was up and down but showed enough that I am very encouraged.  Hooker showed the range that we have been hearing about.

JoJo looked good, same with Pope.  Bug had some moments and why did Rogers field that punt inside the 10?  Why isn't Morris getting more run at QB?

Wilson was in position on some of those completions, he just didn't recognize where the ball was.  If he can work on that he'll be fine.  He is physical though.  And I agree, Hooker is going to be everywhere in this system.  Encouraging first start for these rooks, even with the completions.  It's not like the guys were wide open.

Edwin Jackson and the fast returner (6? JoJo)

I like the release on the QB from Temple, but that might be his only redeeming quality at this point...

I think we ought to look outside the organization if Luck is gonna miss multiple games...you can't just give games away in a 16-game docket. I don't trust anyone on the roster to win us a game, moreover, I don't trust them not to blow a game either...

9 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Thank you,that explains it.

I imagine Turbin's spot is pretty much secured on the roster so they let others get the reps.

I think Gore and Turbin are locked in.  Everyone else is fighting for one job or to be so good they have to keep four.

18 hours ago, mikey287 said:

Edwin Jackson and the fast returner (6? JoJo)

I like the release on the QB from Temple, but that might be his only redeeming quality at this point...

I think we ought to look outside the organization if Luck is gonna miss multiple games...you can't just give games away in a 16-game docket. I don't trust anyone on the roster to win us a game, moreover, I don't trust them not to blow a game either...

Yeah Jackson has a great motor.  You want people like that on your team.  They just make plays because of their motor.  

I really think after listening to Irsay if Luck misses time it would be week one at absolute worst week two but I think that's unlikely.  I think and hope at most we are talking a week without Luck.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Gore and Turbin are locked in.  Everyone else is fighting for one job or to be so good they have to keep four.

I agree.  I can see us keeping 4 RBs or 6 WRs, but not both (and won't be shocked if it's 3 and 5 anyway -- but I assume it'll be 9 total between the 2 positions).. somebody from either position on the bubble is going to have to show they've got the willingness, desire and skill to step up on STs to make the 53.

This is where preseason is interesting.  A guy like Ferguson, for example, has a shot to make this team mainly if he steps up in the return game.  Missing a game and having a guy like Natson step up may have been very costly.

Right now, although he was injured in game 1 of pre-season, I think Mack has the upperhand as the #3 RB, though Pope did a pretty good job making a case for himself.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I agree.  I can see us keeping 4 RBs or 6 WRs, but not both (and won't be shocked if it's 3 and 5 anyway -- but I assume it'll be 9 total between the 2 positions).. somebody from either position on the bubble is going to have to show they've got the willingness, desire and skill to step up on STs to make the 53.

This is where preseason is interesting.  A guy like Ferguson, for example, has a shot to make this team mainly if he steps up in the return game.  Missing a game and having a guy like Natson step up may have been very costly.

Right now, although he was injured in game 1 of pre-season, I think Mack has the upperhand as the #3 RB, though Pope did a pretty good job making a case for himself.

I think Pope is sitting right about in the same spot as Todman was last year.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think Pope is sitting right about in the same spot as Todman was last year.

I don't know.  I think Gore and Turbin are pretty secure.  Last year we didn't have a 5th round pick that everyone was very high on (to go as far as to hope he's Gore's long-term backup) and Pope is a guy who has 49 all-purpose yards in his NFL career (Todman had several hundred rushing and receiving yards before coming here as well as plenty of experience as a return man, which Pope does not have). 

I liked what I saw from Pope.  However, they didn't really seem to be utilizing him as a returner (1 KR for 5 yards) and I don't see the same explosiveness that Todman had.  That's not to say he can't be a KR or a critical player on STs.

However, it seems like we've generally been keeping a total of 8 or 9 players total between RB and WR.  I imagine Gore will be our workhorse with Turbin getting an increased carry load compared to last year and our 3rd RB getting a little bit of playing time at the RB position.  If we keep a 4th RB, I could see Ferguson getting utilized better in the screen game (well, ideally that'd be where they'd fit him on offense, but we never have a screen game) and as a return man.  If Mack was the 3rd RB, I think the only action Pope would ever see would be on STs (likely as a gunner or on the kickoff team moreso than as a return man -- with a lot of uncertainty at LB and DB positions, it seems like an extra body could be better utilized there).  Also, it seems like at WR we have TY and Moncrief as absolute locks with high likelihood of Rogers, Aiken and Dorsett making the roster.  Then we have seen some good things and good size from Bug Howard, Natson looked explosive last week, and we know Bray can be a solid return man.

My gut tells me if we go with 9 total between WR and RB that'll be a 6 WR to 3 RB split.  I could be wrong, however.  And, of course, injuries and other weird things can still happen before the season starts.

3 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I don't know.  I think Gore and Turbin are pretty secure.  Last year we didn't have a 5th round pick that everyone was very high on (to go as far as to hope he's Gore's long-term backup) and Pope is a guy who has 49 all-purpose yards in his NFL career (Todman had several hundred rushing and receiving yards before coming here as well as plenty of experience as a return man, which Pope does not have). 

I liked what I saw from Pope.  However, they didn't really seem to be utilizing him as a returner (1 KR for 5 yards) and I don't see the same explosiveness that Todman had.  That's not to say he can't be a KR or a critical player on STs.

However, it seems like we've generally been keeping a total of 8 or 9 players total between RB and WR.  I imagine Gore will be our workhorse with Turbin getting an increased carry load compared to last year and our 3rd RB getting a little bit of playing time at the RB position.  If we keep a 4th RB, I could see Ferguson getting utilized better in the screen game (well, ideally that'd be where they'd fit him on offense, but we never have a screen game) and as a return man.  If Mack was the 3rd RB, I think the only action Pope would ever see would be on STs (likely as a gunner or on the kickoff team moreso than as a return man -- with a lot of uncertainty at LB and DB positions, it seems like an extra body could be better utilized there).  Also, it seems like at WR we have TY and Moncrief as absolute locks with high likelihood of Rogers, Aiken and Dorsett making the roster.  Then we have seen some good things and good size from Bug Howard, Natson looked explosive last week, and we know Bray can be a solid return man.

My gut tells me if we go with 9 total between WR and RB that'll be a 6 WR to 3 RB split.  I could be wrong, however.  And, of course, injuries and other weird things can still happen before the season starts.

Pope has some ability but I think he'll end up being handled in a similar way as Todman assuming he makes the team.  I could see him beating out Ferguson for that 4th RB spot but he probably won't get used very much other than special teams.  Got no problems with him though.  Just kind of doing some projecting.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I was very encouraged with Hooker's tackling.

I was too, but I held my breath for a second when he hit a ball-carrier pretty hard near the sideline.  He's just coming off injury, and it gave me flashbacks to every time Bob Sanders would throw his body at a ball-carrier...

:fear:

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Pope has some ability but I think he'll end up being handled in a similar way as Todman assuming he makes the team.  I could see him beating out Ferguson for that 4th RB spot but he probably won't get used very much other than special teams.  Got no problems with him though.  Just kind of doing some projecting.

I gotcha.  I just think if he's going to make the team as a STer it will be to be more of a tackler/blocker/etc. than a returner.  Todman was a pretty darn good returner for us last year (29.9 yards/kickoff return and that 99 yard TD).  My thoughts are if we're going to keep a 4th RB or 6th WR it will be because of dynamic return potential, it seems like we're deeper up front there where we don't have to fill spots for STers, whereas LBers and DBs who can be gunners/tacklers/blockers/etc. and not returners may be more valuable since we lack depth at those positions a little more.

I have no problem with Pope either, and trust Pagano and Ballard will keep the best 53 for us.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I was too, but I held my breath for a second when he hit a ball-carrier pretty hard near the sideline.  He's just coming off injury, and it gave me flashbacks to every time Bob Sanders would throw his body at a ball-carrier...

:fear:

Yes, let's hope Hooker can stay healthy.  If so, it seems like the sky is the limit for him.

I just finished watching the game. Hooker and Wilson both played well(Not going to lie I was real impressed with Wilson) Bashem, Walker jr, Spence(I've been a fan of Spence since he was at the U)hope he makes the team. The troubling thing was it looked just like every preseason game of the last 25 years- couldn't run the ball, couldn't block anyone, no pressure on the qb at all except for a few plays. Even though to be fair, that couldn't have been our starting o-line out there. And here is my biggest criticism from that game-any coach who thinks La'raven Clark should be on an NFL field at any time during a game should not be coaching in the nfl.