Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Half time cuts

JRnINDY

One pre-season game in and people are calling to fire coaches and get rid of half the roster with completely new players who would do the same thing.  This is going to be a long pre-season for some....lol!  

There was a lot of penalties, that needs to be addressed obviously.  The starters though, looked pretty good with the INT to start everything off.  Once the depth came in, well it went down hill from there.  I will say that this time of year I will not hate on Chud, because no team is throwing the whole playbook out there.  So if the offense looks similar week 1 in LA I will say something then.  I just hope we have shown some growth by the last pre-season game.  Tolzein especially!  I have stuck up for him on this forum but man he did not look that great.  Hopefully he gets a little better each week.

Does anyone think the Colts will keep 3 kickers on the roster?  Seems like a team with as many holes in it as the Colts could use that spot.   However, the kicking IS one of the glaring holes.   Locke has not been a successful kickoff guy in the past.   Only 17% of his career kickoffs have been touchbacks (McAfee - 53%). 

I think starting field position is big because it opens the playbook more for an offense.   I guess we'll see what Sanchez and Locke can do in the preseason, although I would think kickoff ability can be determined in non game practices.   The Sanchez punt off the side of his foot may have ended his career in some ways.  

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

All the media that I post tweets from here on the forum have stated they prefer Morris over Tolzien and they aren't sure why the Colts don't do the same 

It just doesn't make sense to me to go with a veteran just cause he knows the playbook more or has more chemistry. He's shown you he stinks. Let the younger guy play, he at least has room for improvement 

Tolzien is who he is at this point. There's no salvaging his career. 

1.  Most of the Colts media like Chap, Kravitz, Grady & Big Joe, JMV, Holder, and Wells have said Morris has been very unimpressive in camp.  The fact he was bumped down the depth chart for a camp arm in the first pre-season game seems to support that,

2.  They aren't going with Tolizen just because they feel he knows the playbook.  In fact they said going into camp it was going to be an open job between Tolizen and Morris,  based on what they have done to this point evidence seems to suggest that Tolizen is winning it.

3.  They don't know he sucks because in the one real game he played for them last season against a good Steelers defense he held his own very well.  

Again, he's not Steve Young behind Montana or heck even Hasselbeck a couple of years ago but to this point he's looking like the best of what the Colts have.  You can argue you aren't comfortable with that and, yes Jim Irsay even seemed to agree with that thought by saying they tried to bring in another vet QB but the price was too high, however to this point as unpopular as it may be Tolizen seems to be their best option of what they have.  There is still time to change that though so we will see what happens.  

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

One pre-season game in and people are calling to fire coaches and get rid of half the roster with completely new players who would do the same thing.  This is going to be a long pre-season for some....lol!  

There was a lot of penalties, that needs to be addressed obviously.  The starters though, looked pretty good with the INT to start everything off.  Once the depth came in, well it went down hill from there.  I will say that this time of year I will not hate on Chud, because no team is throwing the whole playbook out there.  So if the offense looks similar week 1 in LA I will say something then.  I just hope we have shown some growth by the last pre-season game.  Tolzein especially!  I have stuck up for him on this forum but man he did not look that great.  Hopefully he gets a little better each week.

I never put much stock in Pre-Season, never have. Being a fan since the 80's we have stunk in Pre-Season every year pretty much. Andrew Luck and TY Hilton mean so much to this team that it's scary if one of them get injured. Ryan Kelly will make a huge impact as well on the Line. With those 3 players in there, we will be fine on Offense. Of Course Luck's status has everyone scared right now.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never put much stock in Pre-Season, never have. Being a fan since the 80's we have stunk in Pre-Season every year pretty much. Andrew Luck and TY Hilton mean so much to this team that it's scary if one of them get injured. Ryan Kelly will make a huge impact as well on the Line. With those 3 players in there, we will be fine on Offense. Of Course Luck's status has everyone scared right now.

I completely agree.  The pre-season is to observe the depth.  I hope for great players all around but the starters are the importance.  Luck playing allows us to have a great chance in every game, no dispute to that.  I feel like if we stay healthy for the most part we will have a good year.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I completely agree.  The pre-season is to observe the depth.  I hope for great players all around but the starters are the importance.  Luck playing allows us to have a great chance in every game, no dispute to that.  I feel like if we stay healthy for the most part we will have a good year.

18 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Just to play devils advocate here:

I do agree with your points about the starters.   However, if a team can look and do good with their depth players it often makes the team better .   The Colts have been pretty lean in the "depth" department in recent years.  I think Ballard has fixed that issue with the LB's, but not sure about anywhere else.   At full strength, this team could be very good, but that is the same with many teams.   The record is affected greatly by the depth at each position.

Not talking QB here as that is an exception for the Colts.  

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Most of the Colts media like Chap, Kravitz, Grady & Big Joe, JMV, Holder, and Wells have said Morris has been very unimpressive in camp.  The fact he was bumped down the depth chart for a camp arm in the first pre-season game seems to support that,

2.  They aren't going with Tolizen just because they feel he knows the playbook.  In fact they said going into camp it was going to be an open job between Tolizen and Morris,  based on what they have done to this point evidence seems to suggest that Tolizen is winning it.

3.  They don't know he sucks because in the one real game he played for them last season against a good Steelers defense he held his own very well.  

Again, he's not Steve Young behind Montana or heck even Hasselbeck a couple of years ago but to this point he's looking like the best of what the Colts have.  You can argue you aren't comfortable with that and, yes Jim Irsay even seemed to agree with that thought by saying they tried to bring in another vet QB but the price was too high, however to this point as unpopular as it may be Tolizen seems to be their best option of what they have.  There is still time to change that though so we will see what happens.  

I'll leave it there & we'll just have to agree to disagree cause there's not a chance of anyone convincing me that Tolzien deserves a job in the NFL 

18 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

You guys can't be serious. 9/20 86 yards for Walker with the backups & most of his passes being swatted at the LOS.

Every QB on this roster is better than Tolzien. That's who needs to be fired immediately 

Passes being "swatted at the LOS" is the QBs fault.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Just to play devils advocate here:

I do agree with your points about the starters.   However, if a team can look and do good with their depth players it often makes the team better .   The Colts have been pretty lean in the "depth" department in recent years.  I think Ballard has fixed that issue with the LB's, but not sure about anywhere else.   At full strength, this team could be very good, but that is the same with many teams.   The record is affected greatly by the depth at each position.

Not talking QB here as that is an exception for the Colts.  

I don't disagree.  Depth is always important.  Ballard has done well so far and has only had one off-season to help with depth.  Give him at least another year to cycle some more youth through.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

All very logical. 

Not sure I agree with it all though. 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I'll leave it there & we'll just have to agree to disagree cause there's not a chance of anyone convincing me that Tolzien deserves a job in the NFL 

I am having deja vu. I see Deion Sanders calling Kerry Collins by name of Mustafa again.

Where is Curtis Painter when we need him?

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Someday we will have 2nd and 3rd stringers that look good.

Yeah for the most part it is a huge drop off in talent (and very noticeable) once our starters come out.... frustrating but surely CB can fix that in a year or two.

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Tolzien was a slightly above average QB at Wisconsin in college. He wasn't great in college, not even really good. How he made it in the NFL in the first place I am not really sure.

I think a lot of it might be a confidence issue with Morris since he was demoted behind Walker even (what exactly was that about anyway?). Would probably explain his bad start yesterday. Give him the 1st string reps though this week and see how he does. His march for a game-ending TD yesterday earned him that much IMO. That was infinitely better than anything we saw out of Tolzien or Walker. Just using the eye test, Morris looks the best out of the three and has for over a year in relation to Tolzien specifically.

21 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

Tolzien was a slightly above average QB at Wisconsin in college. He wasn't great in college, not even really good. How he made it in the NFL in the first place I am not really sure.

I think a lot of it might be a confidence issue with Morris since he was demoted behind Walker even (what exactly was that about anyway?). Would probably explain his bad start yesterday. Give him the 1st string reps though this week and see how he does. His march for a game-ending TD yesterday earned him that much IMO. That was infinitely better than anything we saw out of Tolzien or Walker. Just using the eye test, Morris looks the best out of the three and has for over a year in relation to Tolzien specifically.

What you have said may be true, but ever so slightly if it is.   No back up has looked head and shoulders above the others.   As close as it is, I have to trust the coaches and GM are making the correct call.   

15 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

All the media that I post tweets from here on the forum have stated they prefer Morris over Tolzien and they aren't sure why the Colts don't do the same 

It just doesn't make sense to me to go with a veteran just cause he knows the playbook more or has more chemistry. He's shown you he stinks. Let the younger guy play, he at least has room for improvement 

Tolzien is who he is at this point. There's no salvaging his career. 

You keep saying this "get rid of Tolzien", but honestly, I can't figure out why? Do you have any connection to any of the other guys or what?

We are talking about the backup QB of the Colts. It's not like Denver or the Niners or the Browns, who don't have a franchise QB, and are in the mission to find one. Those teams might decide to keep a guy who has the more upside, even if the he is not ready yet, even if he doesn't know the playbook well. The Colts don't need such guy. They already have Luck, they don't need to develop backups. Age, potential, upside doesn't matter. They just need the guy who knows the playbook better, and gives the best chance. Right now.

What I have seen so far is that Tolzien already played a regular season game last year, and he didn't loose it. Actually, he played kinda decent. He is nowhere near a starter qualiber, but for a backup, he did serve his purpose. So in my book he is the backup at the moment. And for me, to consider someone else, I want to see a guy clearly outplay him. On field, in a game. What I have seen so far? Walker looked terrible yesterday, not even close to consider. Morris showed something, I actually liked him. But was it enough? Naaahhh, I can't say that. Is Morris (or even Walker) more talented than Tolzien? I don't know. Maybe. But I don't care. :) I really don't. I don't care about the upside, want the guy, who gives us the best chance against the Rams.

We still have 3 weeks, 3 more preseason games to go. I'm open, I will watch. Maybe I will see what you saw in them, that you didn't saw in Tolzien.

I really like the speed and shiftiness of Jojo from the small sample size I saw but he's listed at 5-7 153.  This player has some athletic talent though but his weight, not his height worries me.  Has there ever been a freakish 150-160 pounder in the league???  Is it possible for him to get his weight up to 180-190 while maintaining that quickness or would it even be necessary.  

Trindon Holliday used to be decent for Denver, @ 5-5 160ish as both kick/punt returner.  Nothing spectacular at anything else.  

I guess we'll see how he fairs out with the rest of the remaining PS games but he was very active game one!

10 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Could be he is not that height as weights and heights often are a little far from the truth in the NFL.

That's a little outdated now,  because heights are available for all players who go to the combine.    And that's most of the players in the NFL.

Weights can still be a little off,  but typically not by a lot....

12 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Again as I think I made clear Tolzien isn't my ideal choice of a backup QB.  He's far from it.  My point is right now he's the best of what the Colts have.  Just because Tolzien wasn't Impressive doesnt automatically make Walker or Morris better.

20 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah for the most part it is a huge drop off in talent (and very noticeable) once our starters come out.... frustrating but surely CB can fix that in a year or two.

We always have hope BR. :cheer:         :spit:

The typical NFL roster churn demands that the GM nails the draft.  lol