Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Half time cuts

JRnINDY

Melvin didn't even play if I'm correct. I'm at the game right now and I haven't seen him. Wilson started the game and he is the one who has struggled in pass coverage badly. Tolzien and Walker both have sucked. And chud's play calling has too. 

But yes, Walker has probably been the worst player that has stood out to me! 

Wilson, contrary to popular belief, played highly effectively in coverage and was always in the receivers hip pocket. His one issue was turning his hips in time to find the ball and make a play on it. He was never once burnt or lost. Also made some nice hits on the ball carriers

I can name about 10 players who have no business being on an NFL 90 man roster. 

I will save my criticism until I have a chance to go back and look at the tape. 

The first 3 quarters were absolutely pathetic.

We can say we are shooting ourselves in the foot all we want to, but the truth is some of these players are absolutely terrible. 

I am all for making cuts to 75 immediately following the game. 

That would be Mitchell, not Melvin. Walker was no worse than I expected for his first game. 

And you said it - it's preseason. Everything is vanilla. As much as you can criticize Chuds play calling last year, you can't really say much when it's the preseason.

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

Mitchell - awful like last year

Voklvich (?) - going to get RB &QB killed

Sancez - keep Locke

Walker - just awful throws when their not batted down

Chud - I know it's pre season but really. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Melvin didn't even play if I'm correct. I'm at the game right now and I haven't seen him. Wilson started the game and he is the one who has struggled in pass coverage badly. Tolzien and Walker both have sucked. And chud's play calling has too. 

27 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Don't know what they see in walker he's not that good

You guys can't be serious. 9/20 86 yards for Walker with the backups & most of his passes being swatted at the LOS.

Every QB on this roster is better than Tolzien. That's who needs to be fired immediately 

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Just turned on the game a few minutes ago.

Is Morris the only QB today that was able to move the ball?

Apparently so. I left the game with about 10 minutes left in the 4th and Morris had yet to play a single snap. Threw for almost 100 yards and was 13/20. I kept saying the whole game to let the kid play.

Just now, TDewar1987 said:

Apparently so. I left the game with about 10 minutes left in the 4th and Morris had yet to play a single snap. Threw for almost 100 yards and was 13/20. I kept saying the whole game to let the kid play.

I'm with ya 100% on that one.

I mean, I'm not ready to put Morris in the backup QB HOF, but it seems that whenever he is given a chance with the lights on, he just plays and moves the offense.  Perhaps it could be that he's not a polished practice player.

Kid's a gamer though.

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

I'm with ya 100% on that one.

I mean, I'm not ready to put Morris in the backup QB HOF, but it seems that whenever he is given a chance with the lights on, he just plays and moves the offense.  Perhaps it could be that he's not a polished practice player.

Kid's a gamer though.

I liked the kid last preseason. Thought he played well. 

2 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

I liked the kid last preseason. Thought he played well. 

Every time I've seen Morris play, including today, I've liked him. I'd like to know who set the depth chart at QB, and what criteria they used, because it doesn't seem to pass the game day test.

2 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

So what if it's pre-season, Lions showed up in our house and they embarrassed this team.  Fire them coaches, starting with Pagano if this is any indication what's to come.

I have to steal your line @jskinnz forgive me.

Dear God...

Wanting coaches fired after a preseason game? Please tell me you were kidding.

I tried to keep it in mind that these were backups.  I was at the game and tried to look for the positives, though there were a lot of negatives.. 

Here's what I think:

Edwin Jackson looked pretty good.

Sheard was impressive.

Morris should be the backup or at least assess it more closely in camp (I'm sure that they're already doing that). 

Back up RB Pope fought very hard for yards.  

These were backups.

Too early in the preseason folks don't hit the panic button just yet, if we get another loss next week i believe Ballard need to start looking for a replacement starting with Pagano.....No way they're going to beat the Cowboys in Dallas.  Can we say another 0-4 preseason.....Groundhog day....

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Nothing special about Walker, but I don't think he was bad. I don't know why they aren't playing Morris.

I'm no Melvin fan, but I can't criticize him if he didn't play. And he didn't play.

Mitchel might be who you're thinking of.

I would say it's because Walker preformed well in camp and by all account while Tolizen has been unimpressive in camp Morris has been worse so the coaches felt like giving Walker a chance.

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would say it's because Walker preformed well in camp and by all account while Tolizen has been unimpressive in camp Morris has been worse so the coaches felt like giving Walker a chance.

We may have done better had we picked people in the stands, and let them take turns under center.

"Lady's and gentlemen; please look under your seat. If you have the winning number 73492 then Come On Down! You are now the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. Take your time getting to the field. No hurry. We already had so many penalties on this drive that getting a first down is nearly impossible anyway."

We had like 140 yards of offense through the first 3 and a half quarters. 

At one point we were 1 for 11 on third down conversions. 

To say we stunk it up would be an insult to teams that stink it up. 

We had 14 first downs and 11 penalties, and 2 first downs were given to us by way of Lions penalties.

We were sacked 5 times and had a whopping 52 yards rushing on 18 carries (2.9). 

We made the Lions look like World Beaters today.

Hell, I was more impressed with my sons Peewee practice after the game than whatever it was we witnessed the Colts do today. 

That was an embarrassing performance. If this were Broadway then the show would be cancelled.

7 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Take out two runs and the RBs avg. less than 1.5 ypc.  ouch.

Even tougher to swallow when you put it that way. 

Yeah, but it is just "the preseason" so we are supposed to completely overlook all of that. LOL.

I am not directing these statements at you; just writing my thoughts down. This team played terrible today. Regardless of it being our second or third string, there are no excuses for how horrible this team played today. 

It was not a matter of pride or effort. It was clearly a contrast in skills. Many of the Colts depth players do not belong in the NFL. They don't even belong on a 90 man roster.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Even tougher to swallow when you put it that way. 

Yeah, but it is just "the preseason" so we are supposed to completely overlook all of that. LOL.

I am not directing this statements at you; just writing my thoughts down. This team played terrible today. Regardless of it being our second or third string, there are no excuses for how horrible this team played today. 

It was not a matter of pride or effort. It was clearly a contrast in skills. Many of the Colts depth players do not belong in the NFL. They don't even belong on a 90 man roster.

I wrote elsewhere that great teams demand greatness from every player the steps on the field for them.  That was not greatness.

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

You guys can't be serious. 9/20 86 yards for Walker with the backups & most of his passes being swatted at the LOS.

Every QB on this roster is better than Tolzien. That's who needs to be fired immediately 

If backups are swatting his passes at the line starters will destroy, he's showing you why teams tend to not like shorter QBs.

Also according to the Colts Tolizen and Morris went into camp with a legit competition for the number two job.  By the first pre-season game Morris was third string behind the rookie camp arm that was signed.  Add to that that every media member who has watched practice said while Tolizen hasn't been good Morris has been worse.  This leads me to think your last statement is false.

Ever since Jim Sorgi the trendy thing to do in the pre-season here has been to hate the backup QB and say whoever is behind them is better.  What happens?  The Colts keep the backup cut the third string guy who doesn't go to another team and the fan base gets upset for a week until real games start, 2011 and the Hasselbeck years (mostly) being the exception. I think it's a product of the backup QB isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck and they are such a big part of what they do no inexperienced QB can replace them and have the offense humming like they do.  

Do I think Tolizen is a great backup?  No.  Do I want to see him start?  No.  Is he the best QB on the roster not named Andrew Luck?  Right now it looks like it.  Can that still change?  Yes.

2 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I remember a lot of us including myself saying Morris should be the backup since last year lol. But we gave tolzien a chance and now we know he's terrible

In the only real game he's played for the Colts against a good Steelers D he held his own. Remember beside Luck being out the offense was missing two starters on the oline, their number two WR and maybe their number three, and their starting RB was held out.  That's half the starting offense.  Add in a vanilla offense and a pretty good defense on the other side of the ball who got two practices leading into the game against the Colts offense and yeah I can see why Tolizen or any other QB on this roster would struggle.  

Morris had a good pre-season last season against other teams third stringers but by all accounts he has really struggled in camp this year and at least going into the first game had gone from an open job with Tolizen for the backup spot to third string behind the camp arm that was brought in.  

6 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Too early in the preseason folks don't hit the panic button just yet, if we get another loss next week i believe Ballard need to start looking for a replacement starting with Pagano.....No way they're going to beat the Cowboys in Dallas.  Can we say another 0-4 preseason.....Groundhog day....

You want to start looking for replacements next week based on preseason games? C'mon we went winless with Peyton 3x and made the playoffs all 3 years. Both Super Bowl teams were 1-3 in the preseason. Ballard understands the purpose of the preseason He won't be replacing coach's. 

The preseason is used to evaluate players. You watch individual match ups. There aren't cuts until after the final preseason game this season. The bottom 1/3 of our roster is well below average better get used to these kind of games.  

We have 4 CB's that have never played in a NFL game. Then another that has minimal experience. These 5 guys are going to see most of the snaps. How do you think they are going to fare? Outside of a maybe guy or two on the DL players cut from this roster aren't going to play in the NFL. The depth is that bad. 

Then factor in with Luck out our  #2 QB plays opps. #1 D &QB  our #3 QB vs opps.#2 QB & D etc. We don't have great back up QB's to begin with. These things are going to be a problem on the scoreboard. 

The silver lining Vegas left the game on the board and the Lions were only -1 at kickoff. That's pretty easy money. 

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Wilson wasn't bad he just needs to get his head around for the football a little bit faster.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If backups are swatting his passes at the line starters will destroy, he's showing you why teams tend to not like shorter QBs.

Also according to the Colts Tolizen and Morris went into camp with a legit competition for the number two job.  By the first pre-season game Morris was third string behind the rookie camp arm that was signed.  Add to that that every media member who has watched practice said while Tolizen hasn't been good Morris has been worse.  This leads me to think your last statement is false.

Ever since Jim Sorgi the trendy thing to do in the pre-season here has been to hate the backup QB and say whoever is behind them is better.  What happens?  The Colts keep the backup cut the third string guy who doesn't go to another team and the fan base gets upset for a week until real games start, 2011 and the Hasselbeck years (mostly) being the exception. I think it's a product of the backup QB isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck and they are such a big part of what they do no inexperienced QB can replace them and have the offense humming like they do.  

Do I think Tolizen is a great backup?  No.  Do I want to see him start?  No.  Is he the best QB on the roster not named Andrew Luck?  Right now it looks like it.  Can that still change?  Yes.

All the media that I post tweets from here on the forum have stated they prefer Morris over Tolzien and they aren't sure why the Colts don't do the same 

It just doesn't make sense to me to go with a veteran just cause he knows the playbook more or has more chemistry. He's shown you he stinks. Let the younger guy play, he at least has room for improvement 

Tolzien is who he is at this point. There's no salvaging his career.