Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 61st Year Watching The Colts

King Colt

Another year, another cheer, another jeer, another tear, another beer(s), another season is near. Looking back to when I had so many hero's like Mackey, Matte, Moore, Berry and Unitas to todays young guns it's been fabulous and with my interest in other sports the only thing that really has ever mattered over the decades is the Colts and that is the way it will be until the day of my last kickoff. Go Colts!

@King Colt

Awesome! 61 years a Colts fan is absolutely beautiful. 

This will be my 34th. The only sports team I have ever had a deep emotional attachment with, and it started at a young age. 

Here's to my 34th and your 61st ending with us holding up our virtual beer mugs and doing the cheering. 

1 hour ago, workinman said:

Nicely put sir. Congratulations on entering your 61st year of enjoying the Colts. I myself am entering my 41st season and have enjoyed all of them.

So if its the 41st and 61st years watching, what age are u guys thinking u STARTED watching?  Age 6? Age 10? In the womb?

my brother started taking me to Baltimore games at memorial around 1970.  I still have VERY vivid images of memorial stadium.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Another year, another cheer, another jeer, another tear, another beer(s), another season is near. Looking back to when I had so many hero's like Mackey, Matte, Moore, Berry and Unitas to todays young guns it's been fabulous and with my interest in other sports the only thing that really has ever mattered over the decades is the Colts and that is the way it will be until the day of my last kickoff. Go Colts!

Dang it, King! You have me beat by one year! :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

14 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Dang it, King! You have me beat by one year! :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Fandom since the 50s? Now that's diehard, good job guys.:thmup:

4 hours ago, King Colt said:

You forgot Vogel, Parker, Big Daddy, Donovan, Michaels, Gino and many, many more hero names from yesteryear!  Back then every team wore the same colors - black and white!

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually this season, it will be my 34th, 1984-2017 = 34 seasons. I started following the Colts when I was 13 - when they moved here. We sucked for the 1st 3 seasons 84-86, then we got Dickerson in 87 and won the Division.

Those were the years I hid in the closet!

46 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Congrats King.....my Dad had me propped in front of the tv during Colts games back in the 60's.  I started recognizing them around 1970, so 47 years for me and each coming season holds the same excitement as the first.

Same story here...except it was my Grandfather. My first bad memory of the Colts loss in SB III. I was 14, But I do remember Johnny U prior to that. So 48ish years. GO COLTS!!!

12 hours ago, King Colt said:

You may a few years older than me but not many! I don't have any ties to either Indy or Baltimore, but I will always believe Bob Irsay was a total jerk and could have worked out the stadium issues in Baltimore if not for his personality. Johnny U was my favorite Colt and I think it's sad that he died a Ravens fan. But I'm a Colts fan no matter where they hang their helmets or who is the owner. 

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

So if its the 41st and 61st years watching, what age are u guys thinking u STARTED watching?  Age 6? Age 10? In the womb?

my brother started taking me to Baltimore games at memorial around 1970.  I still have VERY vivid images of memorial stadium.

i was 9 when my dad took me to see the colts when we lived there in 1953. i am now 73 and still a colts fan in kokomo, lucky for me my team moved to indy. no i did not move here because the colts did. my work took me to kokomo in 1990. lucky me

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

They had tv back then??haha

56 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i was 9 when my dad took me to see the colts when we lived there in 1953. i am now 73 and still a colts fan in kokomo, lucky for me my team moved to indy. no i did not move here because the colts did. my work took me to kokomo in 1990. lucky me

Fate

58 for me. Loved Unitas and Bert Jones and Mike Curtis. Wow, couldn't we use a Curtis now? I remember when Matte stepped in at QB and played the hated Packers even. Luck beating the Packers in the Chuck Strong game. Great players...great memories. Let's make some new ones in 2017.

11 hours ago, IinD said:

They had tv back then??haha

We had a 12" Motorola in a dark wood cabinet that never needed service and a 28" Zenith that was a piece of junk. I was my dad's remote, when he wanted to change the channel he just said," boy get up and change the channel.". :)

19 hours ago, azcolt said:

You may a few years older than me but not many! I don't have any ties to either Indy or Baltimore, but I will always believe Bob Irsay was a total jerk and could have worked out the stadium issues in Baltimore if not for his personality. Johnny U was my favorite Colt and I think it's sad that he died a Ravens fan. But I'm a Colts fan no matter where they hang their helmets or who is the owner. 

Unitas cursed the organization for leaving Baltimore. He said he would never go to Indy. He was a Baltimore fan for the people and city more than the Ravens team. Can you imagine waking up some morning and turning on the morning news to learn your team left town?! No one saw it coming.

19 hours ago, 100GFB said:

You forgot Vogel, Parker, Big Daddy, Donovan, Michaels, Gino and many, many more hero names from yesteryear!  Back then every team wore the same colors - black and white!

"forgot" is the wrong term, I never forgot any of those great guys but didn't feel like typing in the entire roster. Art Donovan's stories he would tell on talk shows show how different football was then compared to now.

That's awesome that we have such a veteran presence here. Really awesome. I am a history nut when it comes to sports, I love hearing these fan origination stories and any older tales from before my time...this is already the most interesting thread I have ever seen here and hope it gets even better. 

Thanks for sharing, all...

15 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

58 for me. Loved Unitas and Bert Jones and Mike Curtis. Wow, couldn't we use a Curtis now? I remember when Matte stepped in at QB and played the hated Packers even. Luck beating the Packers in the Chuck Strong game. Great players...great memories. Let's make some new ones in 2017.

Stan White breaking Broadway Joe's collarbone....one of my favorite memories....

20 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

58 game on a 9" black and white huge console tv for me.  I was 4. 58 game was on because it was Championship, and the only game I really remember being on until I saw them regularly from 62 or so on. First time I saw a game in color was the Rams and 49ers, in 71.  It was amazing.  I could barely believe it!  First color tv I owned was in 74.

I was born in Baltimore in 54, just a few blocks from the new Orioles (my team for life!)  Grew up in Delta, Pa.   My Wife(born in Indy) informed me we had moved to Indy in 1980, (i guess I actually had a choice???) and I kept up with the Colts via my Mom sending me cutouts from the Baltimore Sun Sports, the Baltimore News American Sports, the York Daily Record Sports, and the York Gazette Sports.  She spent a fortune in postage!!!!

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

Can you imagine waking up some morning and turning on the morning news to learn your team left town?! No one saw it coming.

Sorry, but almost everyone saw it coming, IMO.  Roesnbloom threatened to move them to Tampa (his home)  every year. He was the first to make the season ticket holders  buy preseason tickets, saying he'd move them clear back in 67.  He wanted a new stadium so badly, he traded the Colts to Irsay in 72 for the Rams.  Then Irsay would give drunken interviews after games saying he and the city agreed on a new stadium, only to deny it the next day when he had sobered.

The newspaper clippings I got in the 80s were so convincing they were moving, I was looking to buy a satellite receiver in 83, so I could watch the Colts from Phoenix- where the editorials all said Irsay was moving them.