Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would it be the worst thing if?

BProland85

The Colts had a really down season, such as a 5-11 season? Indy wasn't projected to make a run in the playoffs this year anyhow and with all these recent injuries that furthers their chances even more. I keep getting the feeling with everything surrounding Luck's availability, and the surplus of injuries elsewhere on this team, that we might be in for a long season. Especially if they don't wanna throw Luck out there until he is completely healthy and has a healthy OL around him. 

If that happens, the Colts could be looking at a 5-11 year or so, which actually might benefit them in the long run. How so you ask? 

1) Pagano will finally be gone

2) Ballard will have a GREAT draft pick to try and trade to a team needing a QB, which would give Chris a surplus of added draft picks, something this team hasn't had the opportunity to do in a long time.

3) Hopefully this poor season will finally make front office find a capable backup QB in the draft (rounds 4-5)

Just my opinion since I'm more of a big picture thinker myself. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure how to respond to this

i mean it wont devastate me or anything

i really dont worry about chuck all that much.  hes average at best, but the good candidates are not exactly lining up at our door.

we can get better with mid or late picks too, we just have to take the right players. 

32 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

The Colts had a really down season, such as a 5-11 season? Indy wasn't projected to make a run in the playoffs this year anyhow and with all these recent injuries that furthers their chances even more. I keep getting the feeling with everything surrounding Luck's availability, and the surplus of injuries elsewhere on this team, that we might be in for a long season. Especially if they don't wanna throw Luck out there until he is completely healthy and has a healthy OL around him. 

If that happens, the Colts could be looking at a 5-11 year or so, which actually might benefit them in the long run. How so you ask? 

2) Ballard will have a GREAT draft pick to try and trade to a team needing a QB, which would give Chris a surplus of added draft picks, something this team hasn't had the opportunity to do in a long time.

3) Hopefully this poor season will finally make front office find a capable backup QB in the draft (rounds 4-5)

So you really think Pagano would lose his job if Luck does miss time and injuries strap what Pagano can do as a coach?

It seems your more interested in Pagano getting fired than the Colts being successful.

26 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We won 8 games last year with the worst pass blocking o-line, and the 30th ranked defense that generated the least amount of pressure of any defense in the NFL the last FOUR years. 

How/why do you think we would do worse this year? (Assuming Luck only misses 1-2 weeks)

I'm not saying they will be worse, I dont think they will, but until you see the defense play, you have no idea how much better if any they will be. We all assumed the 2013 and 2015 free agent classes would put us over the top. Some free agents and draftee's will bust, its just statistically accurate.  The O-line is also largely unchanged and already riddled with injuries so I can see why some people might be hesitant with their analysis of the team.

I get the talent acquisition part of this theory but there is no way I would agree. I will never ever think the Colts losing is acceptable. Great GM's don't need high draft picks to assemble stellar teams. Example - Patriots vs Browns.

I'd much rather see us get back into the tradition of winning all of the time. 

Would it be the worst thing ever if this happened...maybe not.  But we were an 8-8 team last year with no o-line or defense to speak up.  I feel we are better on both of those fronts.  

The main problem of hoping for this is another year of Luck is wasted.  If he plays a long career he might play until he is what 38 and be very effective.....He is not a rookie anymore (im not chicken little here, but the clock is ticking)  I would hope unless Luck is going to be out for the year, which doesn't sound to be the case, that we would strive to win as many games as possible.  Look what Luck did in the Kansas City game with no defense...with him a lot is possible.

15 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If this were to happen, you'd better be prepared to not listen to or read anything from the national media on the team or the "Luck is a bust and Colts are a dumpster fire" pundits will be having a field day. Nobody wants that.

So you're suggesting we tank the season? Is your name Curtis Painter? With a name like Boiler_Colt, reasonable question

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Wait what? Where did I say that? I said you DON'T want that.

Going by your name, we can conclude that you are used to watching a losing football team, when was the last time the Boilermakers had a winning season?  the Joe Tiller/Drew Brees days? :jump:

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Going by your name, we can conclude that you are used to watching a losing football team, when was the last time the Boilermakers had a winning season?  the Joe Tiller/Drew Brees days? :jump:

It certainly contributed to my sports pessimism, but truthfully I don't follow Purdue football because Tiller was a jerk to some of my friends who played for the team. And after Tiller there has been nothing worth watching.

Colts aren't tanking anytime soon.  The big question mark is Andrew Luck's health.  I still think it's to early to panic, it's obviously a reason for concern right now but not time to panic.  If he makes it back in time for the season opener there is no reason to believe the Colts can't make a run at the division title.  Upgraded defense(still needs to show on the field though), the o-line was much better towards the end of last year and Luck and all of his weapons should be able to put up a decent amount of points.  If Luck misses 6+ games then that's a different story.  Nothing has been make official yet.  Only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I'd be happy with all 3 of those scenarios 

Especially with teams hunting for QB's next draft. If we had a top 5 pick we could rob the bank with a trade. Giving Ballard more picks can only be a good thing

11 minutes ago, azcolt said:

The South no longer provides an easy 5 or 6 wins and Chuck will lose a couple. 8-8 would be a great season even with Luck.

I can't imagine thinking this way.  Our Offense could be dominant if we get a break on the O-line injuries for once.  8-8 is wayyy below my expectations for a "great season".

So we still have 4 weeks before the regular season and being cautious we sit a few players.....so I am curious of ALL these injuries you are referring too?  Luck is the player that has been the talk of injuries.  Kelly is still a possible start for the season.  Many other players have little nags or stingers and are just taking time to heal so they do not continue when the games matter.  So....again....why are you already throwing the towel in and being a negative fan???  Terrible post all around!!

Have you been reading USA Today? 

To clarify to the people thinking I want them to tank this year, I certainly do not. But when it comes down to what this team will be able to field, if I could pick a record of 8-8 and missing the playoffs vs. 5-11, I'm picking 5-11 because it gives Ballard so many more options for trading down and getting more draft picks to load up this team. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

To clarify to the people thinking I want them to tank this year, I certainly do not. But when it comes down to what this team will be able to field, if I could pick a record of 8-8 and missing the playoffs vs. 5-11, I'm picking 5-11 because it gives Ballard so many more options for trading down and getting more draft picks to load up this team. 

It sure sounds like you hoping for crap...  I hope for every win possible.  8-8 would be better than 5-11.  I do not care about next years draft spot.  I hope it is #32.  You can find talent all over.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We won 8 games last year with the worst pass blocking o-line, and the 30th ranked defense that generated the least amount of pressure of any defense in the NFL the last FOUR years. 

How/why do you think we would do worse this year? (Assuming Luck only misses 1-2 weeks)

Titans came to rescue our season 2 years In a row to get us to 8-8. I think the Titans get over the hump this year and beat the Colts in at least one game this season. 

IF they win 5 games, they'll have earned that kind of season, assuming Luck plays most of the season at a decent level (if he doesn't, then they're going to win 5 games irrespective).

Would it be the worst thing? Well, it wouldn't really be good. Too much regression screws with teams psychology. Winning cures more than just making us goon fan's happy.