Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Preference-Watching A Great Defense Or A Great Offense

King Colt

I enjoy watching Denver now, too.  The pass rush and secondary so confident they can make big plays against any offense

But, maybe its watching the Colts all these years ...I like a  great passing offense.

A master QB who can defeat all that's thrown at him...and take his team down the field whenever his team needs it most.

An Andrew Luck. A Peyton Manning.

A Johnny Unitas

One of the most entertaining games I have ever watched was Oklahoma vs Nebraska a number of years ago (QB Eric Crouch catches a trick-play pass for a TD - youtube).

The defenses may have been ranked #1 and #2 in the country at the time.  It was a game where every offensive play mattered.  3 yards on 1st down was a big deal.  A first down was great.  Being able to get to the other team's 40 yard line meant you were close to FG position.  A penalty was hard to overcome.  Two penalties put the other team closer to FG position.  A great punt was a field changer.  Having a kicker that could hit from 60 yards was a huge weapon.  Turnovers were monstrous.  Every aspect of the game just seemed more intense.  Execution on every play mattered. The final score may have been 13-9.

Its a different way to watch a football game.  It took me a full quarter to get into it. I fully understood why coaches put an emphasis on field position and turnovers.  Big plays are huge.

Unlike an offensive minded game where penalties and turnovers can easily be overcome on the very next play or possession.  Field position doesn't matter. Big plays are routine.

Its why I can't even stand to watch the NBA.  So much offense that any one play is meaningless, because there will be 50 more opportunities to score.  Boring.

Offense is more fun to watch, but a team also needs to have a defense to stop the other team. I really enjoy watching a great offense go up against a great defense, like the game between Clemson and Alabama last year. It is kind of neat how the offense will scheme against a great defense and vice versa.

A goof offense is more fun to watch.. but a good defense is just more satisfying to watch if that makes sense.. I think back a few years ago when Andy Dalton came to town and couldn't get a 1st down until the second half lol. It was soo satisfying watching them jog onto the field knowing the Bengals weren't going to be able to do anything.  

A great defense, and that is just me being biased. I grew up watching the late 80's to early 90's Saints defenses, who were known for hard hitting plays and brutalizing QB's. The "Dome Patrol" still holds a dear place in my heart. 

The NFL today has the rules bent so much that offenses can practically do whatever they want. Mediocre quarterbacks can throw for 400 yards on any given day. Today's rules that favor offenses more than anything have made me truly appreciate older defenses more than I ever did. 

Defense. Especially two great defenses.

Game that sticks out to me was BB NE vs Parcells Dallas. A cold night with all defense.

A chess game and who would make the first mistake. 12-6 NE game just FGs

Very intense.

Plus all the reasons Doug Dew mentioned.

D all day. D's usually travels well also.

Nothing like a defensive stand at an important juncture of the game (thrill wise for me personally).

Love the Indy O, but I'd be okay watching us eventually morph into a more defense oriented team. 

In today's nfl though D definitely seems to be on the decline. More points then ever and many teams seem to be terrible at tackling.

I will say though I think Diamond Jim brought Ballard here for that very reason. Make us into a team that can win if we're not scoring.

I just like watching good football, between two competitive teams. That Cardinals Seahawks 6-6 game would be a lot more fun than a Browns Jets 6-6 game, you know?

Buuuuut if I had to pick one, it'd be offense. I prefer a good old fashioned shoot out where both QBs are trying to outduel one another.

To me, bad offense is more hard to watch than bad defense.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

I just like watching good football, between two competitive teams. That Cardinals Seahawks 6-6 game would be a lot more fun than a Browns Jets 6-6 game, you know?

Buuuuut if I had to pick one, it'd be offense. I prefer a good old fashioned shoot out where both QBs are trying to outduel one another.

To me, bad offense is more hard to watch than bad defense.

I agree, it's all about the match-up for me. I love watching top offenses go against top defenses. Shootouts are still entertaining even if it is the browns Vs jets, at least for me.

13 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I like big play defense, INT's fumbles, TD's etc.

I find dominating defense a little boring though, If they just keep forcing the other team to punt, i might fall asleep on the couch.

I came here to say something similar. I generally prefer watching a big play offense, but a big play defense full of sacks, fumbles  and INTs is similarly exciting.

The grinding, dominant style defenses can make games seem incredibly long.