Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post your "Way too Early " 2018 Mock's

23 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Nope. I'd rather have a generational talent than a few solid starters. If it's back one pick because someone want sto pick a QB, then sure. None of the defensive talent is worth a top 5 pick as of now. If Barkley is there, take him. Otherwise, look at trading down. Smith isn't worth a top 5 pick. The O-Line market sucks this year. The only good player is Pugh, from the Giants, who might not even be hitting FA. For WR, sign Watkins, Landry, or Robinson, not Matthews. 

Who is the generational talent you have at the top of your board?

Why not Matthews? He has managed almost identical numbers as Watkins his first 3 years. He has 2673 and 19 to Sammy's 2723 and 19. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 4:12 PM, DaColts85 said:

I will say it is still early but with a lot of buzz on some guys I do not see Nelson in the 2nd and definitely do not see Smith in the 2nd.  I could be wrong as it is still early though.  Nelson is the top guy at his spot and many, MANY teams see the importance of this position and the o-line altogether.  Smith is getting pushed up his position list each week.  He is solid and IMO will be a mid 1st rounder.  

Just trying to provide some discussion anyways...good draft and would absolutely LOVE for this to happen!

I agree about Smith. I’ve seen him go in the 1st round for 2 mocks this week. He’s smaller at 6’1” but it seems like he’s this draft’s Jarrad Davis. Explosive, athletic LB who can cover. He may go before Malik Jefferson. I’d look at Azeem Victor or Matthew Thomas round 2. Jefferson if he falls to the 2nd.

I just have a feeling we will trade with the Cardinals for a QB. They know the Jets and Chargers will be in the market for a QB that are ahead of them, other than the obvious Browns. We can get a 1st and 2nd rounder from the Cardinals if they move up from (say 9 to 4).

We may still get Quenton Nelson then and get a couple of good ones (Tarvarus McFadden or Jarrad Davis or Roquan Smith if he is there or even his teammate Lorenzo Carter) in round 2. The options are huge for trading down, if we can get a QB needy team to win a few games to pick about 5-6 picks later than us, like the Cardinals or even the Jets.

• Like 1

I was bored and ready for this season to be over.  Get a coach that knows how to coach, and not rah-rah.  I did 3 versions on Fanspeak.  

1st - General needs

1 - OG       Q. Nelson ND

2 - EDGE  O. Okoronwko OK

3 - LB        R. Smith UGA

4 - OC       F. Ragnow AR

5 - CB       A. Averett Bama

6 - LB/S    T. Scales IU

7 - WR      A. Lazard Iowa St

Synopsis:  Nelson gives the OL the mauler the team has been missing for years, his attitude and temperament should infect the other OL.  Okoronwko gives a rusher to pair w/ Basham, we need a better pass rush to give LBs and CBs help.  Smith can do it all.  Scales I see as a LB/S hybrid to cover TEs.  And Lazard has size and potential, one of these tall WRs has to pan out eventually, right?

2nd - Highest rated

1 - EDGE  B. Chubb NCSU

2 - CB       D. Ward Ohio St

3 - S          M. Allen PSU

4 - RB       R. Penny SDSU

5 - LB        J. Jewell Iowa

6 - CB       J. Toliver LSU

7 - WR      C. Thompson Toledo

Synopsis:  This mock was done picking the highest rated on list, regardless of position or need, just to see the results.  Chubb is almost an elite pass rusher (I'll leave that to the experts).  Ward, Allen, and Toliver to shore up our backfield considering Davis' skills are deteriorating.  Penny has size and speed to compliment Mack.  Thompson has size and potential as a 3rd or 4th WR. 

3rd - Difficult setting, very OL centric

1 - OG  Q. Nelson ND

2 - OG  B. Price Ohio St

3 - LB   R. Smith UGA

4 - RB   B. Scarbrough Bama

5 - CB   D. Nichols USF

6 - OT   A. Corbett Nev

7 - OT   C. Madison WSU

Synopsis:  I know most of you will say I'm crazy for taking so many OL, but I have ZERO faith in ANY lineman other than Kelly.  We need young blood with mean streaks that will dominate the men in front of them.  Nelson is a beast!  Price is very good.  Smith and Nichols to help the D a little, I think we need to give our new additions from this year at least another year before moving on.  Scarbrough is a huge RB with enough speed to be dangerous, pairing him w/ Mack should make the running game better.  We shouldn't rely on Luck to carry the team like Manning had to, we had a running game when Colts won the SB.  

Shred away, guys!  LOL

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, indyman411 said:

I was bored and ready for this season to be over.  Get a coach that knows how to coach, and not rah-rah.  I did 3 versions on Fanspeak.  

1st - General needs

1 - OG       Q. Nelson ND

2 - EDGE  O. Okoronwko OK

3 - LB        R. Smith UGA

4 - OC       F. Ragnow AR

5 - CB       A. Averett Bama

6 - LB/S    T. Scales IU

7 - WR      A. Lazard Iowa St

no way smith makes it to the third round

• Like 1

As the thread title says, it's far too early to accurately calculate draft positions and the below is based off of early stages of scouting. But I've tried to keep this as accurate as possible.

Indy lands the #3 pick after losing out the season (what I predict them to do). We trade the #3 pick to Arizona in exchange for #5, a 2nd round pick this year (#37) and a 1st round pick next year. With this pick Arizona jump the Giants in order to take the QB of their choice rather than whatever is left. Carson Palmer is done, and Stanton is not an NFL starter.

* = Draft value points

IND (3)              ARI (5)
(3) 2200*          (5)  1700*
                        (37) 530*
                        (2019 1st) 400* (approximately)

The Picks
1st Round #5 (Arizona)  - Saquon Barkley - RB - Penn State - 5'11 233lbs - I know, I know. I was captain of the 'Don't Draft Dalvin' chorus last year. But not very often do we get a shot at a back of this calibre. Cleveland, New York & Arizona gladly eat up the 3 QBs due to go early. And SF would love to pick up a big OL to help fortify Jimmy G and I'm thinking they keep Carlos Hyde since he's finally becoming a respectable starter that won't command a huge price-tag. Barkley falls right into our lap. Gore will ride off into the sunset after this year in all likelihood. I like Mack a lot but I think he is more of the Garfunkel of a backfield. Enter Simon. A rare combination of size, speed and lateral quickness, the type of runner who can beat you with speed and power. His mix of skill-set and durability makes him a true every-down back. His future in the NFL is extremely bright. The acceleration and quick-twitch ability he has allows him to hit the hole quickly, and once through, his excellent second level vision makes him a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. He gives us the starting 3 down back we thought we had in Vick Ballard a few years ago, only invariably more talented. I'd like to take an OL or a defensive player here, but Barkley is the very definition of "too goo to pass on" at this point.

2nd Round #35 - Lorenzo Carter - OLB - Georgia - 6'6 244lbs - If he had consistency throughout his college career he would be a no doubt first rounder. Carter's greatest asset is his pass rushing. He gets off the line with explosion and converts speed to power well with a good bend around the edge. With Sheard and Simon we have 2 good standard OLBs but neither are the explosive pass-rusher that Carter is. He could easily pack on another 15lbs to fill out his frame for the pros. I watched him in the game against Notre Dame and he's looked good across other tape I've seen. Simon, Sheard and Carter gives us a top level OLB rotation.

2nd Round #37 (Arizona) - Jamarco Jones - OT - Ohio State - 6'5 310lbs - Jones combines his excellent size with above average athleticism for the position. Uses his quick feet to mirror the pass rush and keep the quarterback clean. Does a great job using angles and pushing the rusher past the pocket. His long arms allow him to maintain space and control the action. Jones has the necessary movement skills to easily change direction and adjust to counter moves. However, he tends to play with a high pad level which negatively impacts his balance. Jones’ balance is also impacted by his tendency to bend at the waste. These issues aren’t due to a lack of athleticism but are more about sloppy technique that is fixable with pro level coaching. In the run game, Jones shows the strength needed to generate a push off the line. He plays with nasty to the whistle with a rock 'em sock 'em demeanour. If he fixes the technique issues then he could easily make a push for 1st round consideration, but at this point he is the top of the 2nd tier OTs.

3rd Round #67 - Kendall Joseph - ILB - Clemson - 6'1 230lbs - An exceptional athlete who features the closing burst needed to make plays all over the field. He uses his short-area speed to close on the football making tackles behind the line of scrimmage and on the sideline. Joseph’s athleticism and balance make him an asset in the passing game. He is able to keep pace with tight ends and running backs in man coverage. Joseph has some hesitation in his game which he is able to mask with his quickness. However, this won’t be the case in the NFL. He needs to do a better job trusting his reads and flowing to the football. Cleaning up these mental mistakes could turn him into a very effective ILB at the next level.

4th Round #110- Frank Ragnow - C/OG - Arkansas - 6'5 317lbs - Features a long frame, solid bulk and arm length. He’s a very good athlete for the position which allows him to make blocks all over the field. Arkansas often asks him to work on the second level, pull to the edge and contribute on screen plays. The fact he remains balanced while on the move increases his effectiveness. Committed to gaining inside hands and does so on a consistent basis. He uses his arm length and quick initial burst to gain position. However, he tends to raise his pad level too early and give up leverage. He has played Centre for Arkansas, but he could play Guard for us. We don't know if Jack Mewhort will be retained following another season ending injury. Either way we need to get better and deeper across the line.

My latest mock draft for the Colts...

(Indy trades 5th overall pick to New York for their 1st, two 2nds, and 4th round pick)

Round 1 Pick 13 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 5: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Round 2 Pick 13 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 2 Pick 22 (NYJ): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas 
Round 3 Pick 5: Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn 
Round 4 Pick 5: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
Round 4 Pick 13 (NYJ): Deon Cain, WR, Clemson
Round 5 Pick 5: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh 

Round 6 Pick 5: Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State

Round 7 Pick 5: Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois

Analysis - Indy gets much better on the OL, with Nelson providing them with a nasty blocker that will make Indy's interior OL one of the better units with Kelly, Nelson, and Mewhort brought back on an affordable deal. Mewhort needs to go back to LG where he is most comfortable, and have Nelson start immediately at RG. Rankin could start immediately at RT until Ballard decides to move on from Castonzo. Haeg and Good provide good backup swing players if injury happens. 

At LB, Indy vastly improves there as well by getting a coverage sideline to sideline ILB in Smith, FINALLY! Then we turn  around and get an impact pass rusher in Armstrong who provides more athleticism and speed from the OLB position. LB could potentially be a strength after these moves. 

In the secondary, Indy gets better by replacing Vontae with Melvin to start opposite Quincy Wilson, and Carlton Davis could eventually supplant Melvin at some point in the season, with Hairston playing the slot. Tre Flowers provides depth at safety. 

At the skill positions, Freeman gives Indy a more punishing runner to go along with Mack. Cain provides size and speed for the WR core while Henderson gives Ballard a Tyreek Hill type playmaker. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My latest mock draft for the Colts...

(Indy trades 5th overall pick to New York for their 1st, two 2nds, and 4th round pick)

Round 1 Pick 13 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 5: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Round 2 Pick 13 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 2 Pick 22 (NYJ): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas 
Round 3 Pick 5: Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn 
Round 4 Pick 5: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
Round 4 Pick 13 (NYJ): Deon Cain, WR, Clemson
Round 5 Pick 5: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh 

Round 6 Pick 5: Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State

Round 7 Pick 5: Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois

Analysis - Indy gets much better on the OL, with Nelson providing them with a nasty blocker that will make Indy's interior OL one of the better units with Kelly, Nelson, and Mewhort brought back on an affordable deal. Mewhort needs to go back to LG where he is most comfortable, and have Nelson start immediately at RG. Rankin could start immediately at RT until Ballard decides to move on from Castonzo. Haeg and Good provide good backup swing players if injury happens. 

At LB, Indy vastly improves there as well by getting a coverage sideline to sideline ILB in Smith, FINALLY! Then we turn  around and get an impact pass rusher in Armstrong who provides more athleticism and speed from the OLB position. LB could potentially be a strength after these moves. 

In the secondary, Indy gets better by replacing Vontae with Melvin to start opposite Quincy Wilson, and Carlton Davis could eventually supplant Melvin at some point in the season, with Hairston playing the slot. Tre Flowers provides depth at safety. 

At the skill positions, Freeman gives Indy a more punishing runner to go along with Mack. Cain provides size and speed for the WR core while Henderson gives Ballard a Tyreek Hill type playmaker. 

Not going to lie I would be thrilled with this.  Solid trade for good draft spots and getting key spots filled as well.  

5: R1P5

G QUENTON NELSON - Excellent run and good-great in pass protection

NOTRE DAME

37: R2P5

FS ARMANI WATTS - Known for Interceptions and forcing fumbles.  Hard hitting safety with fast enough speed to blitz QBs and recover separation with receivers.  Excellent one-on-one tackler.

TEXAS A&M

69: R3P5

ILB CAMERON SMITH - Hands for interceptions and capable of making sacks

USC

107: R4P5

CB IMAN MARSHALL - Has the size and speed to battle big receivers.  Can play various techniques.  Used to press-man, off-man and zone coverages.   Does an excellent job turning his head around finding the ball in flight to break up passes and has the hands for Interceptions.

USC

143: R5P5

RB SONY MICHEL - Equally talented RB that is versatile as a pass catching RB.  Pass blocking a minor concern.  Not a true power back. Does have excellent top speed and acceleration of all RB in this class.  IMO nearly identical to Saquon Barkley

GEORGIA

184: R6P5

ROT ZACHARY CRABTREE - (Option 2: TE Dallas Goedert)

OKLAHOMA STATE

227: R7P5

CB DEE DELANEY

MIAMI

• Like 2

Here’s my latest mock with us picking 5th Overall:

Round 1: Mike McGlinchey, OT- He was the best OT last year but didn’t come out. This pick kills two birds with one stone. You get an immediate starter at RT, and a replacement for Castonzo at LT.

Round 2: Cameron Smith, ILB- Force in the run game and can run with TEs. USC drops him into coverage a lot and he always knows where his assignment is. 11 passes defended in his career. Slated to go round 3, but I think you Take him here

Round 3: Braden Smith, OG- An underrated guard who is massive but still athletic enough to play in any blocking scheme

Round 4: Azeem Victor, ILB- He’s been moved to OLB by his HC so his numbers are way down but this is still a good ILB who can play in space and hits hard. This is a steal at this point. I also like Rashan Evans here though

Round 5: LJ Scott, RB- I believe in Mack but this move gives you thunder and lightning. Scott has some fumbling issues but has plenty of upside.

Round 6: Allan Lazard, WR- Slated to go higher on some sites but I don’t think he’ll run incredibly fast. If not, there’s other receivers we can get here to replace Moncrief

Round 7: BPA

I think we sign Trumaine Johnson, Jarvis Landry, and a guard in FA. With or without Luck, this gives the team a roster that can compete.

• Like 1

Track Guy's November Full Offseason Mock

So I'm mocking a full off season, instead of just the draft... Well not a full offseason. Just some highlight free agents I think would be a good fit, a couple guys I want us to resign, then a mock draft. I know there will be more new names on the roster than this - but I consider this a good start.

Significant Re-Signings:

Rashaan Melvin - He's actually shaping up to be a solid corner to have in the mix IMO. Maybe he'll never be a superstar, but retaining him would give us some positive consistency. 

Jack Mewhort - I'd re-sign him on a prove it deal, not a big contract by any means. I'd also make sure to have a backup plan, as I don't trust his ability to stay healthy anymore. But if he does return to form, our issues at guard (we might have the worst guard situation in the NFL currently) will be at least solved on the right side. 

Free Agency:

Jarvis Landry, WR (Dolphins) - We quietly have turned into a team with one of the worst receiving groups. Here's a new safety blanket for Andrew Luck in his return, a guy who might also draw some coverage attention off T.Y. and boost his big play ability. 

Mason Foster, LB (Redskins) - We probably have the worst situation at ILB in the NFL right now. In a 3-4 defensive scheme, that is a death sentence. Here's a bonafide starter who is a 3 down ILB who plays in a 3-4 system. We have cap room to make him a nice offer. 

Kyle Fuller, CB (Bears) - Here's another cornerback with some experience to add into our mix. We're quite young at CB, so a competent veteran player, even if not a superstar, will help us strengthen on the back end. 

Virgil Green, TE (Broncos) - An excellent blocking TE who offers some catching ability too. This is the kind of not necessarily sexy signing that helps you win games late in the season. 

Draft:

R1 - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame - A guard with a top 10 pick? Normally, no. Usually it's a position that you'd value down a bit, so even if a guard was a top 10 player in a draft class, you'd think they might go in the mid teens or later. But Nelson isn't a normal prospect. He's being discussed as one of the best guard prospects of all time, and some scouts are tabbing him to be the best guard in the NFL a few years down the road. He's a day 1 difference maker at LG. 

R2 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama - We need - desperately I might add - more athleticism in our ILB position group. Here's a really fast linebacker with nice potential. I see him as a day 1 starter on our roster and as he gains experience, as an above average starter at the WIL position.

R3 - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Edge, Oklahoma - A very fast, small-ish edge rusher who's natural fit at the next level is at OLB in a 3-4 scheme. He's been wrecking havoc against opposing QBs in the Big 12. He'd probably start out as a situational pass rusher in the first couple years of his career unless (injury forced him into a bigger role) and then assuming good progression, take over as a starting OLB. 

R4 - Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh - This guy is a big WR who brings a good speed element too. He's had a high percentage of his catches go for touchdowns at Pittsburgh, and with a top 2 receiver combo in this mock both being under 6 foot, he'd give us some better size in the mix at the position group. 

R5 - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia - I actually like our D-line at the moment, but adding a young guy with high upside as a rotational/depth piece could prove to be wise. Brown probably has the physical skill set to be an early rounder. He needs to play more consistently, and perhaps try to add a bit more size and strength over the early years of his NFL career. But there's definitely reason to like him as a prospect. 

R6 - James Butler, RB, Iowa - A running back who has been noted as being especially good at picking up yards after contact. We could use such a player, and it doesn't hurt that he can receive out of the backfield as well. 

R7 - Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas St. - When you're kicker is in his mid-40s, it might not be a bad presupposition to mock like he is retiring. McCrane is one of a few good college kickers who could be drafted late, and we would be wise to do so if Vinatieri retires.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Track Guy's November Full Offseason Mock

So I'm mocking a full off season, instead of just the draft... Well not a full offseason. Just some highlight free agents I think would be a good fit, a couple guys I want us to resign, then a mock draft. I know there will be more new names on the roster than this - but I consider this a good start.

Significant Re-Signings:

Rashaan Melvin - He's actually shaping up to be a solid corner to have in the mix IMO. Maybe he'll never be a superstar, but retaining him would give us some positive consistency. 

Jack Mewhort - I'd re-sign him on a prove it deal, not a big contract by any means. I'd also make sure to have a backup plan, as I don't trust his ability to stay healthy anymore. But if he does return to form, our issues at guard (we might have the worst guard situation in the NFL currently) will be at least solved on the right side. 

Free Agency:

Jarvis Landry, WR (Dolphins) - We quietly have turned into a team with one of the worst receiving groups. Here's a new safety blanket for Andrew Luck in his return, a guy who might also draw some coverage attention off T.Y. and boost his big play ability. 

Mason Foster, LB (Redskins) - We probably have the worst situation at ILB in the NFL right now. In a 3-4 defensive scheme, that is a death sentence. Here's a bonafide starter who is a 3 down ILB who plays in a 3-4 system. We have cap room to make him a nice offer. 

Kyle Fuller, CB (Bears) - Here's another cornerback with some experience to add into our mix. We're quite young at CB, so a competent veteran player, even if not a superstar, will help us strengthen on the back end. 

Virgil Green, TE (Broncos) - An excellent blocking TE who offers some catching ability too. This is the kind of not necessarily sexy signing that helps you win games late in the season. 

Draft:

R1 - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame - A guard with a top 10 pick? Normally, no. Usually it's a position that you'd value down a bit, so even if a guard was a top 10 player in a draft class, you'd think they might go in the mid teens or later. But Nelson isn't a normal prospect. He's being discussed as one of the best guard prospects of all time, and some scouts are tabbing him to be the best guard in the NFL a few years down the road. He's a day 1 difference maker at LG. 

R2 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama - We need - desperately I might add - more athleticism in our ILB position group. Here's a really fast linebacker with nice potential. I see him as a day 1 starter on our roster and as he gains experience, as an above average starter at the WIL position.

R3 - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Edge, Oklahoma - A very fast, small-ish edge rusher who's natural fit at the next level is at OLB in a 3-4 scheme. He's been wrecking havoc against opposing QBs in the Big 12. He'd probably start out as a situational pass rusher in the first couple years of his career unless (injury forced him into a bigger role) and then assuming good progression, take over as a starting OLB. 

R4 - Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh - This guy is a big WR who brings a good speed element too. He's had a high percentage of his catches go for touchdowns at Pittsburgh, and with a top 2 receiver combo in this mock both being under 6 foot, he'd give us some better size in the mix at the position group. 

R5 - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia - I actually like our D-line at the moment, but adding a young guy with high upside as a rotational/depth piece could prove to be wise. Brown probably has the physical skill set to be an early rounder. He needs to play more consistently, and perhaps try to add a bit more size and strength over the early years of his NFL career. But there's definitely reason to like him as a prospect. 

R6 - James Butler, RB, Iowa - A running back who has been noted as being especially good at picking up yards after contact. We could use such a player, and it doesn't hurt that he can receive out of the backfield as well. 

R7 - Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas St. - When you're kicker is in his mid-40s, it might not be a bad presupposition to mock like he is retiring. McCrane is one of a few good college kickers who could be drafted late, and we would be wise to do so if Vinatieri retires.

In the whole off-season you are saying we only address the line with a draft pick and re-signing our current OG with no knees?  I hope we do far more than this...  Nelson has a bright future and I would not mind that pick at all, but more in the FA or another draft pick please.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I will be perfectly fine with drafting Nelson in the first. And the more I think about it and the more I watch our O-Line the more I'm thinking - hell, draft Nelson in the first and Brown/McGlinchey/Williams/Okorafor/Rankins(whoever the best available OT is). Fix that thing once and for all. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I will be perfectly fine with drafting Nelson in the first. And the more I think about it and the more I watch our O-Line the more I'm thinking - hell, draft Nelson in the first and Brown/McGlinchey/Williams/Okorafor/Rankins(whoever the best available OT is). Fix that thing once and for all. 

Mel Kiper also thinks that Nelson is a top 5 pick as well. He’s a guy that you throw positional value out the window for. I have McGlinchey in my latest mock but I’d take Nelson in a heartbeat. Chances are good he’s a 10 year starter and all-pro player. Kiper also said Nelson has the highest grade he’s ever given out to an interior lineman since he’s been scouting. Would be harder to pass on him than McGlinchey.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Mel Kiper also thinks that Nelson is a top 5 pick as well. He’s a guy that you throw positional value out the window for. I have McGlinchey in my latest mock but I’d take Nelson in a heartbeat. Chances are good he’s a 10 year starter and all-pro player. Kiper also said Nelson has the highest grade he’s ever given out to an interior lineman since he’s been scouting. Would be harder to pass on him than McGlinchey.

I still think Nelson could be had in the top 13 picks, in which case I would hope Ballard could swing a deal and add more draft picks while still getting Nelson in the 1st after trading down. 

Options for trading down include the Jets and Cardinals who both need a long term QB. 

• Like 1

Here's my November mock draft. I love Chubb and he's been getting better and better as the season has gone on. He just had another great game on Saturday. Joshua Jackson from Iowa is asserting himself as one of the best corners in this draft and I'd be pretty happy if we managed to get him in the second round. In the third I went for one of the better G prospects on my board in Will Hernandez from UTEP. I'm not quite sure he will be there on draft night but oh well... In the 4th I went with our RB of the future Rashaad Penny. In the 5th I got Skai Moore. Someone mentioned him last week and I had to go watch a bit of him. He's one instinctive SOB. Such great instincts and such great reading of the QB. It's not a coincidence that he has 13 INT in his career and that's as a ILB. One of the best coverage ILBs... has to work a bit in run support but oh well... you can't have it all in the 5th round. Lorenzo Carter in the 6th. Again I don't think he will be there on draft day. In the 7th I got Hunter Renfrow. He's one of the better slot receivers in college and I would love to get him for the Colts - great hands, great routes. 
4: R1P4

EDGE BRADLEY CHUBB
NORTH CAROLINA STATE
36: R2P4

CB JOSH JACKSON
IOWA
68: R3P4

G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP
106: R4P4

RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
142: R5P4

LB SKAI MOORE
SOUTH CAROLINA
183: R6P4

EDGE LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
226: R7P4

WR HUNTER RENFROW
CLEMSON

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Can you tell me where Kiper said Nelson is a top 5 pick?      I don't see that anywhere....

In fact,  I'm going to cut and paste Kiper's latest player evaluation on Nelson.     It comes from just 5 days ago.

And Nelson is ranked......   9th.     That's up two from the pervious rank of 11.     But it's not top 5.

Here is the write-up.....

87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. *Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Previous rank: 11

Nelson and Mike McGlinchey form the best left side of an O-line in college football. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, Nelson just causes destruction in the interior. I wrote last year that he was entertaining to watch, and you just don't say that about guards. He's a dominant run-blocker who is powerful at the point of attack but also athletic enough to pull and get into space. I've seen enough from his 2017 season to put him in the first-round range for next year's draft.

A question for all those who want the Colts to draft Nelson, a guard with a top-5 pick......

When, where and how are we getting an upgrade at tackle?

As of today,  there's no FA tackle that would be an upgrade on Costonzo.      Not even sure there's a FA tackle that would slot in on the right side.....

With all the needs that we have on both sides of the line,  do you really want to draft a guard FIRST and a tackle SECOND?!?       That's not only backwards to what would be traditionally done,   but it slows the building of the defense back another year....    and it's not clear of the caliber of tackle you will get in the 2nd round....

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A question for all those who want the Colts to draft Nelson, a guard with a top-5 pick......

As of today,  there's no FA tackle that would be an upgrade on Costonzo.      Not even sure there's a FA tackle that would slot in on the right side.....

With all the needs that we have on both sides of the line,  do you really want to draft a guard FIRST and a tackle SECOND?!?       That's not only backwards to what would be traditionally done,   but it slows the building of the defense back another year....    and it's not clear of the caliber of tackle you will get in the 2nd round....

I have never said we should take Nelson with a top 5 pick. My argument was to trade down to say around 10-13 from a team needing a QB like Arizona or New York Jets, and acquire numerous extra draft picks, and then draft OG Quenton Nelson. Then in early round 2, target someone like Martinas Rankins. I like Connor Williams at OT in round 1, but I just think Nelson is more of a sure thing and would be a great addition to the OL. We need that nasty presence on the OL. 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My argument, for the sake of debate, would be that the OT spot in this draft does not have a clear divide to me.  There are a lot of guys that could go within the first two rounds but they are almost interchangeable.  McGlinchey appears to be solid but has a pass blocking weakness.  Rankins looks similar to McGlinchey just not as dominant in run blocking.  Williams had all the hype and now needs to come back and finish strong and lets see what the draft process does for him.  I could keep going but anyways, you have a few OT that will be there late 1st and early 2nd round and they have similar attributes and nothing that makes you say I need them early 1st.  Nelson is the clear cut best OG in college.  You trade back a few spots and he is someone that changes the line immediately.  Then pick 36 or 37 you get a OT like Rankins or maybe Williams fell a little.  All just for debates sake!

I have said before and I will say again, the Free Agency additions we go after right away should be some key spots to help with draft day.  I am hoping for some good ones.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 12:46 PM, stitches said:

I'm having real hard time building an October mock simply because I feel like I'm cheating by putting the players I love and that are nowhere or super low on draft boards right now very late in the mock. I feel like draft writers haven't caught up on some of the prospects yet and I can build a mock based on their boards that I think will end up being unrealistic. For example Hercules Mata'afa is currently nowhere on draft boards. I think he will have a Solomon Thomas-like rise through boards. Roquan Smith I think goes sometime in day 2...maybe even day 1 if he kills the combine... which he probably will, and he's nowhere to be found on those boards. If I want to I can take them in round 6-7 when I simulate a draft using those boards.

With that said, here's my non-simulated, just slightly cheating mock draft:

Round 1. Connor Williams, OT, Texas - I think he's the best OT in the draft and I would take him with any pick we have in the draft. His injury is not a serious concern for me. Latest news is he might return to play at the end of the year,

Round 2. Hercules Mata'afa, DT/DE/OLB/EDGE, Washington State - He's my absolute favorite prospect so far. Absolutely unblockable on the interior and he's just 250lbs. It's unreal how he manhandles centers and guards at this weight. I think NFL teams will want to use him in a more natural DE/OLB/EDGE position and I think he will be great at it. So yeah... I'm drafting Mata'afa as our future pass-rusher sack artist. Just watch what he does to O-linemen:

Round 3. Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia - very quick and versatile ILB. Can play all phases - rushes on blitzes, plays the run well, and is very mobile and quick when dropping in coverage. Has good instincts and nose for the ball. He's not a big LB, think something in the vein of Deion Jones.

Round 4. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC - extremely versatile linebacker who is currently kind of blowing up with production and disruption of opponents across the board(TFLs, sacks, PDs, INT). Might not be there by draft time.

Round 5. Kalen Ballage,RB, Arizona State - Huge, strong and fast back who can be complement to Marlon Mack. He also catches the ball well...

Round 6 N/A

Round 7 N/A

I'm right with you on what i would most want each rd. lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody but Nobody has given CAstonzo more ___ than me. He is cheap going forward and is serviceable.
IMO Ballard will go with one of the tackles we already have. Haeg most likely.
 If Ballard can't trade back where he thinks he needs to be for his favorite O-Lineman, i would expect him to take the best defender on his board. Then go for a guard (MANY would hope :D) or BPA in rd 2. CB, ILB, Int. rusher, outside rusher would all be good additions.

Everybody has a stratedgy... for now. lol

Here is my weekly mock draft for the Colts...

Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 4: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia 
Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas
Round 3 Pick 4: Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson
Round 3 Pick 13 (ARI): Braden Smith, OT/G, Auburn
Round 4 Pick 4: Tony Brown, CB, Alabama 
Round 5 Pick 4: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon 
Round 5 Pick 10 (T.B.): Quandre Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh
Round 6 Pick 4: Iman Marshall, CB, Southern California 
Round 7 Pick 4: Matthew Thomas, OLB, Florida State 

Trades - Indy trades 4th overall pick to Arizona for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2019 2nd.

- Indy trades 2019 5th, 6th for Tampa Bay's 2018 5th

Analysis - Indy gets MUCH better on the OL by adding stud OG Nelson, and possible starting OTs in Hyatt and Smith. I think Costanzo will be back next year, but could very well be gone after the 2018 season. I think Mewhort could be brought back on a relatively affordable deal since he has past injury issues, and he should be put back at LG, with Nelson playing RG. Smith and Hyatt can battle for the starting RT spot, and the LT spot can be up for grabs as well to help push Castonzo. 

LB is also much improved by adding a playmaking, fast and instinctive ILB in Smith. They also get one of my favorite pass rushers in this draft in Armstrong. If Basham progresses, Indy's pass rush could be a strength very soon if Armstrong is the player I think he could be. 

DB is improved by adding more talent and depth with Brown and Marshall. I see Melvin locking down one of the starting CB spots, with Desir and Wilson battling for the #2 spot. Brown could also surprise and battle for a starting spot very soon. I like Hairston at the nickel also. Safety seems to be solid once Hooker is back, and hopefully Geathers can fully return. I do like Farley as well. 

RB gets improved by adding a bruiser to go along with Mack.

WR gets another playmaker to go along with Hilton. Henderson is potentially another Tyreek Hill. I could see Moncrief being possibly brought back on a 1 year prove it deal. I would also like to see Jarvis Landry brought in to man the slot. I could also see Ballard bringing in a big possession WR. 

I didn't talk about the QB position, but this area could be an area of great strength especially if Luck fully recovers. Brissett is already one of the better backup QBs in the league. 

Overall, this team could be very dangerous in 2018, provided Ballard brings in a new medical staff to improve upon the overall health of this team. 

I'm worried about Mewhort. 1. His durability and 2. Next contract, do not want to pay him a lot because i don't see him lasting. Best case scenario for me come draft day is a trade down picking up a Teens 1st rounder, a 2nd + extras and picking up Nelson and Hernandez to put either side of Kelly. Along with an Edge or ILB also in the second. do the scouting and research properly and finally fix this line. Having a strong interior will greatly help those on the outside (AC and JH).

On November 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM, DaColts85 said:

In the whole off-season you are saying we only address the line with a draft pick and re-signing our current OG with no knees?  I hope we do far more than this...  Nelson has a bright future and I would not mind that pick at all, but more in the FA or another draft pick please.

Like I said in Mewhort's mention - I'd need Ballard to also sign a backup plan behind this... Probably some veteran player, but I'm not sure who. Sick of having bad play at guard. I do agree improving the O-line is imperative. I was really hoping Trey Adams would be available for us, but he tore his ACL and is going back to school. He's the only OT I would've said had top 5 value this year. The OTs in free agency this year as a group are terrible, although Hubbard from the Steelers is not bad. He's ideally more of a really good versatile 6th O-lineman, though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can you tell me where Kiper said Nelson is a top 5 pick?      I don't see that anywhere....

In fact,  I'm going to cut and paste Kiper's latest player evaluation on Nelson.     It comes from just 5 days ago.

And Nelson is ranked......   9th.     That's up two from the pervious rank of 11.     But it's not top 5.

Here is the write-up.....

87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. *Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Previous rank: 11

Nelson and Mike McGlinchey form the best left side of an O-line in college football. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, Nelson just causes destruction in the interior. I wrote last year that he was entertaining to watch, and you just don't say that about guards. He's a dominant run-blocker who is powerful at the point of attack but also athletic enough to pull and get into space. I've seen enough from his 2017 season to put him in the first-round range for next year's draft.

So I was right but wrong. Kiper is big on him but it was actually Burgler and Breer who said he could be top 5. However, Kiper is quoted as saying top 10 is a possibility for him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/CFB/136676/Quenton-Nelson

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So I was right but wrong. Kiper is big on him but it was actually Burgler and Breer who said he could be top 5. However, Kiper is quoted as saying top 10 is a possibility for him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/CFB/136676/Quenton-Nelson

Is it possible?      Sure.

But is it likely?       I really don't think so.

Hey,  I'm always dazzled if a guard is even considered in the top-16 of any draft.     And Nelson clearly is,  so I'm not trying to discount him.     Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.....     that's all....

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it really ends up being about him being the best player. From the games I've seen Nelson is much better at his position than any of the tackles is at OT. For example, McGlinchey is considered by a lot a top 2-3 tackle in this class(and a lot have him no. 1 tackle in the class). You can watch them on the same field next to each other. I don't think there really is a contest about who the better player is... so then the question is - why draft the worse player? The one wild card is Connor Williams, who needs to get back on the field and show he hasn't lost a step after his injury.   

BTW I don't think Castonzo is as bad as people make him out to be. He's a good tackle. Right now he's ranked as the 5th best tackle by PFF. PFF is not all perfect and neither is Castonzo but he's not bad. He's allowed 11 pressures in the last 8 games. That's pretty damn good. I wouldn't be rushing to replace Castonzo. There is not any guarantee you are going to get an improvement when you replace him. We have 3 other positions on that line that need MUCH more serious consideration about improvement than LT. IMO, if Brown lasts until the second he would be a phenomenal right tackle. Put Nelson at LG and sign a RG in FA(if you don't think Mewhort is in the future plans) and it is starting to look like hell of a unit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Like I said in Mewhort's mention - I'd need Ballard to also sign a backup plan behind this... Probably some veteran player, but I'm not sure who. Sick of having bad play at guard. I do agree improving the O-line is imperative. I was really hoping Trey Adams would be available for us, but he tore his ACL and is going back to school. He's the only OT I would've said had top 5 value this year. The OTs in free agency this year as a group are terrible, although Hubbard from the Steelers is not bad. He's ideally more of a really good versatile 6th O-lineman, though. 

Yea I agree the draft does not have a clear cut #1 OT in my mind.  A lot of guys with some similarities.  Adams would have been a huge upgrade if he would have stayed healthy and came out this year for sure.  I just hope this is an area of focus.  Not just a little but a lot.  Get a guard or two in FA and then use the draft for an OT if need be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it possible?      Sure.

But is it likely?       I really don't think so.

Hey,  I'm always dazzled if a guard is even considered in the top-16 of any draft.     And Nelson clearly is,  so I'm not trying to discount him.     Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.....     that's all....

I think if Nelson is taking early in the draft it will be by a team who has a terrible line but is picking say 9-16.  If we trade back and Ballard sees him as BPA then it might be us, but there are a lot of other teams that could have there eyes fixed on him.  I can almost guarantee he will not be drafted in the top 5, but skill wise he is top 5 among the prospects.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I think it really ends up being about him being the best player. From the games I've seen Nelson is much better at his position than any of the tackles is at OT. For example, McGlinchey is considered by a lot a top 2-3 tackle in this class(and a lot have him no. 1 tackle in the class). You can watch them on the same field next to each other. I don't think there really is a contest about who the better player is... so then the question is - why draft the worse player? The one wild card is Connor Williams, who needs to get back on the field and show he hasn't lost a step after his injury.   

BTW I don't think Castonzo is as bad as people make him out to be. He's a good tackle. Right now he's ranked as the 5th best tackle by PFF. PFF is not all perfect and neither is Castonzo but he's not bad. He's allowed 11 pressures in the last 8 games. That's pretty damn good. I wouldn't be rushing to replace Castonzo. There is not any guarantee you are going to get an improvement when you replace him. We need 3 other positions on that line that need MUCH more serious consideration about improvement than LT. IMO, if Brown lasts until the second he would be a phenomenal right tackle. Put Nelson at LG and sign a RG in FA(if you don't think Mewhort is in the future plans) and it is starting to look like hell of a unit.

And that has been my point. Forget guard or tackle, Nelson is the best offensive lineman PERIOD. He’s arguably the 2nd best player in this draft behind Barkley. He has the fewest holes in his game. 

And I know everyone is a big proponent of trading back, but as I say every year; How do we know that opportunity will be there? Granted all of the draft stuff we talk about is all speculation, but trades are the hardest thing to predict. We can’t just say the Colts can trade back and get him like it’s a certainty. We don’t know if anyone will want our pick regardless if it’s #4, 5, 6,etc...It’s more likely that if we have let’s say the 5th pick for arguments sake, that he will be there for us to draft. With no trade down option, I don’t see how you don’t take him there. None of this is fact and I’m just speculating, but in theory you’d be taking the 2nd best player in the draft at #5 which is a steal. Positional value only really applies to positions like kickers and fullbacks. Analysts say all the time, if you like a guy, take him.

2 hours ago, austriancolt said:

Rd1: Quenton Nelson OG (Notre Dame)

Rd2: Roquon Smith ILB (Georgia)

Rd3: Matthew Thomas ILB (Florida State)

Rd4: Andre Dillard OT (Washington State)

Rd5: Myles Gaskin RB (Washington)

Rd6: Nik Needham CB (UTEP)

Rd7: C.J. Conrad TE (Kentucky)

Smith probably won’t be there in the 2nd. He’s moved up boards. I like the back to back LB picks though.

Here is my new post bye week edition 2018 Colts Mock Draft...

-Indy trades 5th overall pick to New York Jets for their 1st, two 2nds, and 4th round picks. 

Round 1 Pick 11 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 11 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 2 Pick 25 (NYJ): Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson 
Round 3 Pick 4: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia 
Round 4 Pick 11 (NYJ): LJ Scott, RB, Michigan State
Round 5 Pick 4: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State 
Round 7 Pick 4: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland 

Analysis - Indy gets plenty of added help to the OL with the additions of Nelson, Rankin, and Hyatt. The LB core is also very much improved by adding instinctive sideline to sideline playmaker Roquan Smith, and pass rush specialist Lorenzo Carter. DB area improves by adding an underrated corner in Tony Brown, and another value pick later in Marshall. Scott is a RB I really like to split carries with Mack. And WR gets some added depth to go along with Hilton, Rogers, and possibly Moncrief if he's brought back. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Here is my new post bye week edition 2018 Colts Mock Draft...

-Indy trades 5th overall pick to New York Jets for their 1st, two 2nds, and 4th round picks. 

Round 1 Pick 11 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 11 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 2 Pick 25 (NYJ): Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson 
Round 3 Pick 4: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia 
Round 4 Pick 11 (NYJ): LJ Scott, RB, Michigan State
Round 5 Pick 4: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State 
Round 7 Pick 4: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland 

Analysis - Indy gets plenty of added help to the OL with the additions of Nelson, Rankin, and Hyatt. The LB core is also very much improved by adding instinctive sideline to sideline playmaker Roquan Smith, and pass rush specialist Lorenzo Carter. DB area improves by adding an underrated corner in Tony Brown, and another value pick later in Marshall. Scott is a RB I really like to split carries with Mack. And WR gets some added depth to go along with Hilton, Rogers, and possibly Moncrief if he's brought back. 

I like it, but I doubt that we would spend two 2nd round picks back-to-back on a Tackle.  If we got Nelson and Rankins, my guess is hopefully we made a move in FA.  We have a lot of needs to spend two picks that high on OT's.  Plus Hyatt is looking more like a 4th rounder so I would not want him this early.  Big fan of LJ Scott though.

Here's my November mock:
1: R1P4
EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU
2: R2P4
LB RASHAAN EVANS
ALABAMA
3: R3P4
G BRADEN SMITH
AUBURN
4: R4P4
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN
5: R5P4
EDGE LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
6: R6P4
RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO ST.
7: R7P4
WR STEVE ISHMAEL
SYRACUSE

Here's Dane Brugler's latest mock draft:

http://nfldraftscout.com/members/news/cfb_column.php?story_id=182730

Colts get Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4. It's not totally out of the question. Fitzpatrick is almost universally considered a top 5 talent in this draft. According to Brugler, who knows Ballard he will pick BPA.

4. Indianapolis Colts -- Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama 
Entering his second draft, Colts' general manager Chris Ballard has plenty of holes to fill. Fitzpatrick has the versatile athleticism and make-up to quickly establish himself as the leader of Indianapolis' defense. 

What do you guys think? Shouldn't Fitzpatrick be in the conversation for the Colts? I haven't seen him being mocked to us by people here much.