Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post your "Way too Early " 2018 Mock's

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

People said the same thing about Leonard Floyd. His knock was he didn't have the elite production numbers in college. He's having a hell of a year now.

That's the opposite of Floyd though. Landry has always had the production. Even this year his production is OK. That's not what worries me. It's hard for me to put my finger on the exact reason. Maybe I will fall in love the more I watch of him.

5 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Landry's stock will hinge a fair amount on his testing numbers IMO. If he tests out well - he's a top 10 prospect. If he doesn't test well he might have some trouble even being a first rounder. 

He kind of reminds me of Noah Spence. I wonder if he's a better athlete than Spence. If he turns out to be, he might be worth it.

12 hours ago, stitches said:

He kind of reminds me of Noah Spence. I wonder if he's a better athlete than Spence. If he turns out to be, he might be worth it.

I can definitely see the comparison there. They're similar in build, both dominant at the college level. Landry doesn't come with the off the field baggage that Spence did of course. If Landry tests out better than Spence, he's got a shot to be a first rounder and perhaps a high one.

I'm really hoping that we bolster our O-line and ILB positions next off season. Edge, CB, and RB definitely need addressing too but I think the first 2 are super critical. 

On 10/11/2017 at 2:00 PM, Track Guy said:

I'm really hoping that we bolster our O-line and ILB positions next off season. Edge, CB, and RB definitely need addressing too but I think the first 2 are super critical. 

The #1 thing holding this team back is lack of pass rush IMO.  Then probably OL.

4-Round Mock:

1: Saquon Barkley

2: Quenton Nelson

3: Azeem Victor

4: Josey Jewell

Done on Fan Speak so take with a grain of salt. A lot of names on the board that I didn't expect in the later rounds. They have us choosing 8th overall.

Transcedent talent at top of round one, to go along with, in my opinion, an all-pro guard in round 2.

I believe WR is a legitimate need for us and really wanted one in this mock, but value wasn't there. Both ILB spots need upgraded though so...

other names I like:

James Washington WR

Arden Key Edge

Denzel Ward CB

Travaris McFadden CB

Mark Walton RB

Derrius Guice RB

Royce Freeman RB

Nick Chubb RB

Kallen Ballage RB

E. St. Brown WR

Conner Williams OT

Mike McGlinchey OT

Late Round Sleeper:

Richie James WR (slot guy with good hands and slippery route running/RAC ability)

Feedback?

• Like 1

Here is another:

1: Harold Landry Edge

2: Quenton Nelson OG

3: Shaun Dion Hamilton LB

4: Dante Pettis WR

5: Kalen Ballage RB

6: Rashaan Evans LB

7: David Bright OT

I'm not fimiliar with Shaun Dion Hamilton or David Bright but I tried to fill needs. We Filled big needs with fantastic players in first 2 rounds and get some value in rounds 4, 5, and 6. Not sure why some of the players are rated so low by them, but I'll take it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

With the recent news, l'm going to assume the Colts get the 4th pick, which should net us a really good player. As much as I want Saquon Barkley, OL and ILB(or OLB) are much bigger needs. I would take BPA based on who is available.

If we picked within the top 5 I would hope to trade back, say 5 to 8 spots and get a lot more picks.  I would go Nelson G - Notre Dame and then hopefully either Cameron Smith or a top OLB after that.  If we can get a good amount of picks for trading back in the first we can use some to jump back into the end of the 1st.  A lot of things could happen with a lot of possibilities. 

• Like 3

On 8/10/2017 at 12:29 PM, Defjamz26 said:

In reality though, it's never too early. Especially since a couple of analysts have mocks out. Here's mine. I'll guess and say the Colts pick at 17

Round 1: Cameron Smith, ILB USC- An athletic LB who excels in coverage and can come in and immediately start at Will.

Round 2: Jordan Thomas, CB Oklahoma- A tall press corner who takes the ball away. Exactly what Ballard looks for. Should start opposite Quincy Wilson

Round 3: Akrum Wadley, RB Iowa- An underrated RB who looks like Lesean McCoy on tape. I think he's the franchise back of the future unless Mack has a breakout year.

Round 4: Marcus Allen, S Penn State- With Geathers' career in jeopardy this is a necessary move if he doesn't play at least 10-12 games this season.

Alternate

Round 1: Iman Marshall, CB USC- Arguably the best CB in the draft. His projection is anywhere from round 1-2. Another long CB who feasted on Josh Rosen last season. Immediate starter and possible #1 CB

Round 2- Dorance Armstrong, OLB Kansas- A sleeper who is starting to get notoriety. He's 6-4 so he has the same height as Basham

Round 3-Vita Vea, NT Washington- I know we have a bunch of young D-Lineman, but none like Vea. He's a run stuffing NT who can also rush the passer. Quicker than he looks. Closest thing to Dontari Poe out there.

Round 4: Azeem Victor, ILB Washington- Falls due to injury but the guy can play. Was at least a 2nd-3rd round pick last year until he broke his leg.

I love the early look, but who is going to block on the OL?  2018 free agent class stinks at OL.  If we just add a few late round guys, we will be three and out kings and more Qbs will get hurt.

If we let Vontae Davis go, will we get a comp pick, maybe a 3rd?

I'd trade down with the Jets to get their #1 and add their 2nd #2 pick.

1 - Jets     Quentin Nelson OG

2.  Will Hernandez  OG

2  - Jets     Maurice Hurst DT Michigan

3. Isaiah Wynn  OT/OG  Georgia

3.  comp pick     Quenton Meeks CB  Stanford

4.  Bentley Spain  OT North Carolina.

Castonzo Nelson Kelly Hernandez Wynn

On 8/12/2017 at 12:27 PM, Track Guy said:

So I've recently been doing some research on the upcoming crop. Here's my August mock (which must be taken with a large grain of salt at this point, but I like the looks of it so far).

Round 1: Dorance Armstrong, Edge, Kansas - Very athletic pass rusher. He has been compared to Myles Garrett and Haason Reddick, but is also projected in some places as more of a second day pick (but I think that will change). He's a better fit size wise for a 3-4 scheme than a 4-3. 

Round 2: Bo Scarborough, RB, Alabama - I'd be careful about Alabama running backs (*cough* Trent Richardson *cough*) but Scarborough looks good. He's a bigger back, not easy to tackle. Somewhat like Derek Henry who also played at Alabama. He gets yards after contact, pass protects pretty well, and could be the thunder to Marlon Mack's lightning. 

Edit: Didn't realize how injury prone Scarborough has been... That might change my evaluation of him!

Round 3: Stacy Thomas, LB, Louisville - Here's an inside linebacker who has been great in coverage at the college level. Graded out very high per PFFs numbers. We badly need inside linebackers with coverage skills to develop. In a 3-4 defensive scheme, effective inside linebackers are paramount. 

Round 4: Wyatt Teller, OL, Virginia Tech - A powerful guard who plays nasty. And he's not just a phone booth type of blocker - Teller is athletic and is really good at blocking at the second level. He only started playing offensive line in college and probably could benefit from a redshirt rookie season in the NFL, but he pancakes defenders on the regular and has a high ceiling. 

Round 5: Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota - A tall, rangy cornerback from a smaller program. Had a huge 2016 with 9 passes defended and 5 interceptions - 3 of which were pick 6s. We can definitely use more CB help, even if we bring back Vontae Davis for 2018. 

Round 6: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn - A highly touted college kicker, and ours is just so old so I'm expecting him to hang em up soon. Having a good kicker is important and I don't mind using a day 3 pick if there's a particularly good one. 

Round 7: Oren Burks, S, Vanderbilt - This guy is one of those SS-ILB hybrids. I could see him as a possible depth piece behind Clayton Geathers and his role. 

Thanks for the heads up on Wyatt Teller.  He would be just what the doctor ordered.

7 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

2.  Will Hernandez  OG

Depends on what other moves we make but having in mind we have a ton of money to spend and not enough players, chances are we get more players in free agency than we release so it's not very likely we will be getting a comp pick. Even if we get comp pick it is conveyed the following year, not the same year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

I love the early look, but who is going to block on the OL?  2018 free agent class stinks at OL.  If we just add a few late round guys, we will be three and out kings and more Qbs will get hurt.

That mock was made before the OL looked the way it does now. We definitely need to go OL in the first couple of rounds. 

12 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

2.  Will Hernandez  OG

If we did get a comp pick for anyone, it'd be 2019. I am liking Will Hernandez these days too. Our guard situation is pretty desperate since Mewhort has had these knee problems; these other guys we have playing just aren't of starting NFL caliber. 

Here would be my early draft with Indy having the 4th overall pick...

-Indy trades 4th overall pick to Buffalo for their two 1sts, and 2019 1st round pick. (Buffalo has two 1st round picks due to the trade with KC last year. So they will probably have a mid 1st, along with a late 1st.)

1st (via trade) - OG Quenten Nelson (Would instantly impact the blocking upfront on the OL.)

1st (via trade) - ILB Roquan Smith (Finally gives Indy a very good coverage ILB who can play sideline to sideline.)

2nd - OLB Dorance Armstong (Indy gets more pass rush with an athletic and fast pass rusher here.)

-Indy trades 3rd to Denver for their 3rd, 4th round picks

3rd - CB Carlton Davis (He gives Ballard another lengthy, physical corner similar to Quincy Wilson. Davis won't be brought back, so Davis provides talent to compete with Wilson and Melvin on the outside with Hairston at slot.)

4th - RB Royce Freeman (Gives Indy more talent in the backfield to go along with Mack.)

4th (via trade) - OT Jamarco Jones (Would help with the situation at OT. Could potentially start right away at RT)

5th - S Tre Flowers (Help is needed at safety with Hooker coming back off injury and the uncertainty with Geathers)

6th - WR Cedrick Wilson (I also have Ballard signing WR Jarvis Landry and not resigning Moncrief)

7th - Best OL available

• Like 2

Three round mock I did on First-Pick(no trades): 

1. Saquon Barkley

2. Quenton Nelson

3. Orlando Brown

I don't know a lot of the later prospects, which is why I did a 3 round mock. I went heavy on offense. Barkley at 4 was a no-brainer. I didn't receive a trade offer that made it worth trading down over taking Barkley. In the second round, I had a lot of different options and I went with O-Line. Nelson is going to be the best OG in the draft, and taking him in the second is a steal. He'd shore up our O-Line, and would become a good player. I could have gone Maliek Jefferson, but he has a ton of red flags and Nelson was too good to pass up. The third round depends on what we do in FA. If Mewhort stays and we don't go after O-Line, Brown is drafted and can fix the right side of our line. If Mewhort retires, sign Pugh, and draft defense here. 

11 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Here would be my early draft with Indy having the 4th overall pick...

-Indy trades 4th overall pick to Buffalo for their two 1sts, and 2019 1st round pick. (Buffalo has two 1st round picks due to the trade with KC last year. So they will probably have a mid 1st, along with a late 1st.)

1st (via trade) - OG Quenten Nelson (Would instantly impact the blocking upfront on the OL.)

1st (via trade) - ILB Roquan Smith (Finally gives Indy a very good coverage ILB who can play sideline to sideline.)

2nd - OLB Dorance Armstong (Indy gets more pass rush with an athletic and fast pass rusher here.)

-Indy trades 3rd to Denver for their 3rd, 4th round picks

3rd - CB Carlton Davis (He gives Ballard another lengthy, physical corner similar to Quincy Wilson. Davis won't be brought back, so Davis provides talent to compete with Wilson and Melvin on the outside with Hairston at slot.)

4th - RB Royce Freeman (Gives Indy more talent in the backfield to go along with Mack.)

4th (via trade) - OT Jamarco Jones (Would help with the situation at OT. Could potentially start right away at RT)

5th - S Tre Flowers (Help is needed at safety with Hooker coming back off injury and the uncertainty with Geathers)

6th - WR Cedrick Wilson (I also have Ballard signing WR Jarvis Landry and not resigning Moncrief)

7th - Best OL available

You are trading back way to far if the only trades we get are ones out of the top ten just make the pick at 4 you don't tease out of the top 5 and go allbthe way back to the middle of the round we need elite talent 

• Like 1

I'm strangely intrigued by the possibility of drafting Saquon Barkley. Imagine that offense... you will have to pick your poison of either stacking the box to stop Barkley or trying to cover passes from Luck. This can be an explosive combination. Unfortunately we probably have more pressing needs than to pick a RB in the top 5. 

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You are trading back way to far if the only trades we get are ones out of the top ten just make the pick at 4 you don't tease out of the top 5 and go allbthe way back to the middle of the round we need elite talent 

Nelson at OG is an elite talent. The thing is OGs don't typically get drafted top 10 so I moved down to get Nelson at a value pick. 

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why would you want a guard in the first take an elite LT if you want OL in the 1st 

Quentin Nelson could be the best OL in the draft.  If we could trade down to get him, that would be win, win.  I don't see any elite left tackles in this draft.  Also, don't underestimate elite level guards.  Think David DeCastro with the Steelers.

1 hour ago, Coltscrazy said:

Quentin Nelson could be the best OL in the draft.  If we could trade down to get him, that would be win, win.  I don't see any elite left tackles in this draft.  Also, don't underestimate elite level guards.  Think David DeCastro with the Steelers.

The tackle from ND will be pretty damn good 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm strangely intrigued by the possibility of drafting Saquon Barkley. Imagine that offense... you will have to pick your poison of either stacking the box to stop Barkley or trying to cover passes from Luck. This can be an explosive combination. Unfortunately we probably have more pressing needs than to pick a RB in the top 5. 

I would love Barkley. Imagine the Colts having both him and Mack. 

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would love Barkley. Imagine the Colts having both him and Mack. 

Yep. He'd be too good to pass up, for me. He's up there with the likes of Fournette, Gurley, and Zeke. He would make the O-Line look better and teams would have to gameplan for Barkley and Luck. The offense would be electric with Barkley and Mack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yep. He'd be too good to pass up, for me. He's up there with the likes of Fournette, Gurley, and Zeke. He would make the O-Line look better and teams would have to gameplan for Barkley and Luck. The offense would be electric with Barkley and Mack.

Yup. I know most would probably favor a D player at that pick, but if anyone has watched the Colts this year, we ain't exactly stocked up on playmakers on offense either. Barkley would be a great get.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. I know most would probably favor a D player at that pick, but if anyone has watched the Colts this year, we ain't exactly stocked up on playmakers on offense either. Barkley would be a great get.

I'd honestly take Barkley over most of the D picks. The top players on defense have red flags, as of now. ILB doesn't have good talent until late first round and Arden Key has serious red flags. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

He's up there with the likes of Fournette, Gurley, and Zeke. 

He's better than any of them.  I think it would be a no brainer to take him.

We have far too many holes to zero in on any particular need.  This team needs talent and playmakers, period.

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

We have far too many holes to zero in on any particular need.  This team needs talent and playmakers, period.

Most mocks I've seen have him going to SF before We are on the clock. Key Landry and surprisingly Doquon Smith have been the guy's I've seen mocked to us. Smith going top 5 was interesting don't often see off the ball LB's go that high. I would try to move back a little and grab the extra picks. We could use them. 

I think when it's all said and done if we are top 5 Key will be tough to pass on He's projected to blow up the combine 

8 hours ago, bananabucket said:

How do you know he's better then them they are all too backs in the league already for all you know he could turn into Trent Richardson 

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

Most mocks I've seen have him going to SF before We are on the clock. Key Landry and surprisingly Doquon Smith have been the guy's I've seen mocked to us. Smith going top 5 was interesting don't often see off the ball LB's go that high. I would try to move back a little and grab the extra picks. We could use them. 

I think when it's all said and done if we are top 5 Key will be tough to pass on He's projected to blow up the combine 

Key has some red flags. We can get Bradley Chubb later in the draft who I think can be better than Key. I think SF only goes Barkley if they sign Cousins in the offseason. I can see Giants drafting him as well. 

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

Like I've said before, Key and Landry are still living off their reputations from last season.  This year both have been unspectacular.  And even last year, a lot of Key's sacks seemed to come from stunts or just running around the tackle. 

I actually love Roquan Smith and think he's the best ILB in the class, just not worthy of a top pick.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

How do you know he's better then them they are all too backs in the league already for all you know he could turn into Trent Richardson 

I meant as prospects.

Just now, bananabucket said:

Like I've said before, Key and Landry are still living off their reputations from last season.  This year both have been unspectacular.  And even last year, a lot of Key's sacks seemed to come from stunts or just running around the tackle. 

I actually love Roquan Smith and think he's the best ILB in the class, just not worthy of a top pick.

I meant as prospects.

I don't think he's a better prospect then fournette was he was the most hyped back in forever and he is backing it up in the NFL

3 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I meant as prospects.

Yep. Agreed on Key and Landry. 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I don't think he's a better prospect then fournette was he was the most hyped back in forever and he is backing it up in the NFL

He is. Barkley is being hyped up just as much, if not more. 

20 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why would you want a guard in the first take an elite LT if you want OL in the 1st 

Problem is there don't appear to be any elite LTs in this draft.  In fact, the only elite OL in the draft might be Nelson, and mid-1st would be a pretty good value for an elite interior OL.  The top OT in this draft in a level below elite, mid-1st type of guys.

9 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Problem is there don't appear to be any elite LTs in this draft.  In fact, the only elite OL in the draft might be Nelson, and mid-1st would be a pretty good value for an elite interior OL.  The top OT in this draft in a level below elite, mid-1st type of guys.

If no tackle is worth a high pick then we should go defense not wanting a guard if we end up with a top 5 pick and I sure don't wanna trade down to the middle of the round 

• Like 1