Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post your "Way too Early " 2018 Mock's

In reality though, it's never too early. Especially since a couple of analysts have mocks out. Here's mine. I'll guess and say the Colts pick at 17

Round 1: Cameron Smith, ILB USC- An athletic LB who excels in coverage and can come in and immediately start at Will.

Round 2: Jordan Thomas, CB Oklahoma- A tall press corner who takes the ball away. Exactly what Ballard looks for. Should start opposite Quincy Wilson

Round 3: Akrum Wadley, RB Iowa- An underrated RB who looks like Lesean McCoy on tape. I think he's the franchise back of the future unless Mack has a breakout year.

Round 4: Marcus Allen, S Penn State- With Geathers' career in jeopardy this is a necessary move if he doesn't play at least 10-12 games this season.

Alternate

Round 1: Iman Marshall, CB USC- Arguably the best CB in the draft. His projection is anywhere from round 1-2. Another long CB who feasted on Josh Rosen last season. Immediate starter and possible #1 CB

Round 2- Dorance Armstrong, OLB Kansas- A sleeper who is starting to get notoriety. He's 6-4 so he has the same height as Basham

Round 3-Vita Vea, NT Washington- I know we have a bunch of young D-Lineman, but none like Vea. He's a run stuffing NT who can also rush the passer. Quicker than he looks. Closest thing to Dontari Poe out there.

Round 4: Azeem Victor, ILB Washington- Falls due to injury but the guy can play. Was at least a 2nd-3rd round pick last year until he broke his leg.

I haven't had a chance to look at any players yet. I'd be surprised if our no.1 next isn't either a LB or CB though. We still need to add a blue chip edge rusher, and I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be Vontae-less come next season unless he returns to all-pro form. Unless Hairston or Quincy show significant no.1 chops, Vontae will need replacing.

It's going to be the best QB class of the last few years by the look of it, so there could be nice defensive pieces available a few picks later than normal due to the inevitable QB run.

Difficult to call where we'll be picking though. Need to see how healthy Luck is going to be come week 1.

You do have Vea low though. He's going to follow the Dontari Poe trajectory draft wise. Low 1st pre combine, blow up the combine, go top 15 on draft night.

So I've recently been doing some research on the upcoming crop. Here's my August mock (which must be taken with a large grain of salt at this point, but I like the looks of it so far).

Round 1: Dorance Armstrong, Edge, Kansas - Very athletic pass rusher. He has been compared to Myles Garrett and Haason Reddick, but is also projected in some places as more of a second day pick (but I think that will change). He's a better fit size wise for a 3-4 scheme than a 4-3. 

Round 2: Bo Scarborough, RB, Alabama - I'd be careful about Alabama running backs (*cough* Trent Richardson *cough*) but Scarborough looks good. He's a bigger back, not easy to tackle. Somewhat like Derek Henry who also played at Alabama. He gets yards after contact, pass protects pretty well, and could be the thunder to Marlon Mack's lightning. 

Edit: Didn't realize how injury prone Scarborough has been... That might change my evaluation of him!

Round 3: Stacy Thomas, LB, Louisville - Here's an inside linebacker who has been great in coverage at the college level. Graded out very high per PFFs numbers. We badly need inside linebackers with coverage skills to develop. In a 3-4 defensive scheme, effective inside linebackers are paramount. 

Round 4: Wyatt Teller, OL, Virginia Tech - A powerful guard who plays nasty. And he's not just a phone booth type of blocker - Teller is athletic and is really good at blocking at the second level. He only started playing offensive line in college and probably could benefit from a redshirt rookie season in the NFL, but he pancakes defenders on the regular and has a high ceiling. 

Round 5: Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota - A tall, rangy cornerback from a smaller program. Had a huge 2016 with 9 passes defended and 5 interceptions - 3 of which were pick 6s. We can definitely use more CB help, even if we bring back Vontae Davis for 2018. 

Round 6: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn - A highly touted college kicker, and ours is just so old so I'm expecting him to hang em up soon. Having a good kicker is important and I don't mind using a day 3 pick if there's a particularly good one. 

Round 7: Oren Burks, S, Vanderbilt - This guy is one of those SS-ILB hybrids. I could see him as a possible depth piece behind Clayton Geathers and his role. 

• Like 1

My first simulated draft:

21: R1P21
RB DERRIUS GUICE
LSU
53: R2P21
EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG JR.
KANSAS
85: R3P21
S CHASE HANSEN
UTAH
123: R4P21
LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN
159: R5P21
EDGE CLELIN FERRELL
CLEMSON

Ferrell probably will go much higher.

I don't know enough of the players yet. But both Vita Vea and Azeem Victor seems low to me. I think I've seen them projected much higher.

The thing with Vea is that he's a pure NT. I don't think he can play any other position. That's why I project him there.

And Victor is like the 8th ranked or lower LB on most sites. He's coming back from a nasty leg injury. That's what I based it on.

I'm not submitted a mock draft just yet, but I'll give some names I really want to see on this team...

OLB Dorance Armstrong

RB Bo Scarborough

RB Saquon Barkley

RB Royce Freeman

S Marcus Allen

CB Jaire Alexander

CB Jamar Summers

ILB Azeem Victor

Scarabough?

Are we really gonna get excited about another Alabama RB? Same skill set as all the other ones.

On 8/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, Defjamz26 said:

The thing with Vea is that he's a pure NT. I don't think he can play any other position. That's why I project him there.

And Victor is like the 8th ranked or lower LB on most sites. He's coming back from a nasty leg injury. That's what I based it on.

Would you like to list the sites where that's the case?

Because on ESPN.com,  Victor is.....   the top-rated ILB.     With a low to middle 2nd round grade to start the season.

I'm, cutting and pasting the top-5 inside linebackers,   that's all they listed at this point....   but notice the grades...    thyis appears to be a very unimpressive class of ILB's.

Inside linebacker

264.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Azeem Victor, Washington

Grade: 83

Victor started the first 10 games last season until fracturing a bone in his tibia against USC, which kept him out the rest of the year. He's atop this list because he does everything well. He's a good tackler, has solid take-on skills and is a good athlete in coverage. He really plays his tail off. He's likely a Day 2 pick right now.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Rashaan Evans, Alabama

Grade: 71

Evans worked his way onto the field as a situational pass-rusher and special-teams standout in 2014 and 2015 before taking over as a starter in the College Football Playoff, after Shaun Dion Hamilton sustained a season-ending injury. He has a solid closing burst, flies around the field and is adequate in coverage, but he needs more game experience.

130.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Mike McCray, Michigan

Grade: 70

His father was a captain at Ohio State, but McCray took his talents to the Maize and Blue. He's an above-average tackler who masks his average playing speed by taking good angles to the ball. He started all 13 games last season, finishing with 76 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks and two interceptions (including one returned for a TD).

275.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Jack Cichy, Wisconsin*

Grade: 69

A versatile linebacker with experience inside and outside, Cichy's 2016 season was cut short by a torn pectoral muscle in Week 7 against Iowa. He has a good feel in zone coverage and is a tough leader. He's likely a mid-round pick who can contribute immediately on special teams. Update: The Badgers announced Thursday that Cichy tore his ACL in practice.

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Chris Worley, Ohio State

Grade: 68

A run-and-hit linebacker, Worley is a hard worker and a tough player. He's likely a 4-3 weakside linebacker in the NFL, but needs to continue to improve his take-on skills and strength.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Scarabough?

Are we really gonna get excited about another Alabama RB? Same skill set as all the other ones.

Decideing one player is not going to be any good because other players from the same school and the same position haven't been as good as expected is a bad way to scout.       Do that in the NFL and you'll quickly be unemployed.

Scarabough?

Decideing one player is not going to be any good because other players from the same school and the same position haven't been as good as expected is a bad way to scout.       Do that in the NFL and you'll quickly be unemployed.

I agree but we're talking about the definition of system players. We're talking about 5 straight RBs who all were supposed to be way better than predecessor.

1. Ingram

2. Richardson

3. Lacy

4. Yeldon

5. Henry

Henry hasn't gotten too much action but you can see the pattern here. Your rule holds true maybe if I had said avoid Sam Darnold because he's another USC QB, but the Alabama RBs are all just super big, power backs with no scheme versatility. I just can't get excited about Scarborough.

Because on ESPN.com,  Victor is.....   the top-rated ILB.     With a low to middle 2nd round grade to start the season.

I'm, cutting and pasting the top-5 inside linebackers,   that's all they listed at this point....   but notice the grades...    thyis appears to be a very unimpressive class of ILB's.

Inside linebacker

Victor started the first 10 games last season until fracturing a bone in his tibia against USC, which kept him out the rest of the year. He's atop this list because he does everything well. He's a good tackler, has solid take-on skills and is a good athlete in coverage. He really plays his tail off. He's likely a Day 2 pick right now.

Evans worked his way onto the field as a situational pass-rusher and special-teams standout in 2014 and 2015 before taking over as a starter in the College Football Playoff, after Shaun Dion Hamilton sustained a season-ending injury. He has a solid closing burst, flies around the field and is adequate in coverage, but he needs more game experience.

3. Mike McCray, Michigan

His father was a captain at Ohio State, but McCray took his talents to the Maize and Blue. He's an above-average tackler who masks his average playing speed by taking good angles to the ball. He started all 13 games last season, finishing with 76 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks and two interceptions (including one returned for a TD).

A versatile linebacker with experience inside and outside, Cichy's 2016 season was cut short by a torn pectoral muscle in Week 7 against Iowa. He has a good feel in zone coverage and is a tough leader. He's likely a mid-round pick who can contribute immediately on special teams. Update: The Badgers announced Thursday that Cichy tore his ACL in practice.

A run-and-hit linebacker, Worley is a hard worker and a tough player. He's likely a 4-3 weakside linebacker in the NFL, but needs to continue to improve his take-on skills and strength.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php

They have him 8th

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Gallery/Todd-McShay-ranks-the-top-linebackers-for-2018-draft-105937662/Amp

McShay doesn't even have him top 5

I may have overstated how low most sites had him though. Miller from BR has him #4.

31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree but we're talking about the definition of system players. We're talking about 5 straight RBs who all were supposed to be way better than predecessor.

1. Ingram

2. Richardson

3. Lacy

4. Yeldon

5. Henry

Henry hasn't gotten too much action but you can see the pattern here. Your rule holds true maybe if I had said avoid Sam Darnold because he's another USC QB, but the Alabama RBs are all just super big, power backs with no scheme versatility. I just can't get excited about Scarborough.

Have you watched him? I think Bo is very impressive. He's very powerful and has underrated speed and agility. 

Henry has been good in limited action as well. 

On 8/14/2017 at 3:51 AM, Defjamz26 said:

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

They have him 8th

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Gallery/Todd-McShay-ranks-the-top-linebackers-for-2018-draft-105937662/Amp

I may have overstated how low most sites had him though. Miller from BR has him #4.

He ranked no. 1 LB from the 2018 class on NFL Draft Scout too:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=ILB&draftyear=2018&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

They have him 8th

OK,   two problems....

First,  the list I posted from ESPN.com --- is from none other than.....   TODD MCSHAY and Victor is the top ranted INSIDE linebacker.

Second,  the list you posted is just toprated linebackers,  and almost by definition that means mostly OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS.        That's why Victor is not on this list.

But McShaw currently has Victor with a low to mid 2nd round grade and currently his top rated INSIDE backer.

• Like 1

They have him 8th

OK,   two problems....

First,  the list I posted from ESPN.com --- is from none other than.....   TODD MCSHAY and Victor is the top ranted INSIDE linebacker.

Second,  the list you posted is just toprated linebackers,  and almost by definition that means mostly OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS.        That's why Victor is not on this list.

But McShaw currently has Victor with a low to mid 2nd round grade and currently his top rated INSIDE backer.

Fair enough. It probably depends on how he comes back from injury. It was just a broken leg, but you never know. I still think Cameron Smith is the top ILB though.

1. Ingram

2. Richardson

3. Lacy

4. Yeldon

5. Henry

Have you watched him? I think Bo is very impressive. He's very powerful and has underrated speed and agility. 

Henry has been good in limited action as well. 

Yeah I've seen him play. Nothing special IMO. He's every Alabama RB ever. Big and powerful but sneaky fast. I don't see anything that separates him from his other counterparts. In another 2 years people people will be talking about how big and fast another RB is. Probably that kid Najee Harris who just committed to them.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I've seen him play. Nothing special IMO. He's every Alabama RB ever. Big and powerful but sneaky fast. I don't see anything that separates him from his other counterparts. In another 2 years people people will be talking about how big and fast another RB is. Probably that kid Najee Harris who just committed to them.

I wouldn't discount a player just because he played at Bama. Any player can become a bust but because Bama players are so well known they get a bad rap. 

1 Connor Williams, L OT Texas.. Castonzo's replacement in 2019. saving $6.25M 

2 Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky.... We need a great backup if/when Luck gets hurt

3 Davin Bellamy, OLB, Georgia... One of the best, if not the best, edge LB in the SEC

4 Tyrone Crowder, R OG, Clemson... Mewhort has a bad knee that will catch up to him

5 Emmanuel Smith, ILB, Vanderbilt..converted SS to ILB. Can play both the Run & Coverage

6 Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah..Locke is doing well, but Wishnowsky could be the next "boomstick"

7 Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State... Darius Butler is getting older. Geathers injury may shorten career

• Like 1

I wouldn't discount a player just because he played at Bama. Any player can become a bust but because Bama players are so well known they get a bad rap. 

It's mostly at the RB position. All of their RBs are in the same mold. Big, muscular, bell cow backs with sneaky speed. Every 2 years we hear about how one of the top RBs is some kid from Alabama. There's a trend there and it's getting old.

11 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

1 Connor Williams, L OT Texas.. Castonzo's replacement in 2019. saving $6.25M 

2 Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky.... We need a great backup if/when Luck gets hurt

3 Davin Bellamy, OLB, Georgia... One of the best, if not the best, edge LB in the SEC

4 Tyrone Crowder, R OG, Clemson... Mewhort has a bad knee that will catch up to him

5 Emmanuel Smith, ILB, Vanderbilt..converted SS to ILB. Can play both the Run & Coverage

6 Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah..Locke is doing well, but Wishnowsky could be the next "boomstick"

7 Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State... Darius Butler is getting older. Geathers injury may shorten career

I like the idea of adding more talent on the OL, but I worry about the Colts CBs and pass rush after your draft. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I like the idea of adding more talent on the OL, but I worry about the Colts CBs and pass rush after your draft. 

free agency pass rush. i think tj green will transition to cb. vontae,tj,quincy,melvin will handle cb for '17 & '18.

free agency pass rush. i think tj green will transition to cb. vontae,tj,quincy,melvin will handle cb for '17 & '18.

We already have FA pass rushers who are on 2 year deals. We have Basham to be the Rush OLB of the future, but we need someone to groom under Simon at SAM. TJ Green isn't going to be a CB of the future either. The Colts have to get more CBs. You also didn't take a ILB high

First assumption, we will be picking in the top half of the draft, say around 10-14.

Round 1: Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Round 2: One of the Bama ILBs - Rashaan Evans, ILB or Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB, Alabama will benefit from Alabama doing well again

Round 3: Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn, 6'1", 195 - I can see him drop due to his marijuana arrest and he is a good mid-round press corner

Round 4: Jauan Jennings*, WR, Tennessee, 6'3", 205  - I believe this guy would be better with better QB play and has the size that Ballard covets in a young wide out to give us a good mix, especially if Dorsett is gone.

Round 5: Myles Gaskin, RB, 5'10", 199, Washington - Frank Gore is gone and we have the goal line back in Turbin, have a rounded back in Mack, could use one more elusive back, this guy can be elusive

Round 6: Brett Rypien, QB, Boise State, 6'2", 200 (nephew of Mark Rypien) - Completes a good percentage of his passes, has NFL back up written all over him, IMO

Round 7: Wilson Bell, OG, Auburn, 6'6", 334 - another offseason incident guy that Ballard will take a flyer on, blocked for Dalvin Cook at FSU before the offseason incident and transfer to Auburn

On 8/20/2017 at 1:05 PM, FalseStart said:

Luck misses 6 games...top 10-15

I think if Luck misses 6 games, Indy is definitely picking top 10. If that's the case I would hope one of the top 3-4 QBs falls to them where they can sell the pick to the highest bidder. 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Inside linebacker

3. Mike McCray, Michigan

Heck, Victor was a mid-second round pick candidate before he tore his ACL in 2016.  He's a potential 1st round candidate depending on how he bounces back this year.  I'm keeping tabs on him this season - soundsl ike you probably will be too.  He's a freakish ILB athlete, though I wished he had a bit more power.  But its' tough to find those guys who can do it all.

• Like 1

I won't do a full mock this early, but I will say I predict Indy to be around 6-10 after a rebuild year. For the first round target, I'd like them to get RT Connor Williams. He would instantly come in and be the RT, allowing Clark to be a backup OT if Costanzo or Williams ever were injured. Eventually, I believe Clark could take over at LT, allowing Ballard to let Constanzo walk once his contract is up.

Connor Williams is a plug and play starter at RT, and has a nastiness to his game, which is very much needed on this OL. The vast improvement would be noticeable I feel after getting someone like Williams at RT. Then the rest of the draft I'd go defense and another talented RB.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 8:15 PM, BProland85 said:

I won't do a full mock this early, but I will say I predict Indy to be around 6-10 after a rebuild year. For the first round target, I'd like them to get RT Connor Williams. He would instantly come in and be the RT, allowing Clark to be a backup OT if Costanzo or Williams ever were injured. Eventually, I believe Clark could take over at LT, allowing Ballard to let Constanzo walk once his contract is up.

Connor Williams is a plug and play starter at RT, and has a nastiness to his game, which is very much needed on this OL. The vast improvement would be noticeable I feel after getting someone like Williams at RT. Then the rest of the draft I'd go defense and another talented RB.

I would be fine grabbing a T early but I do not know about us picking that early.  We might be closer to 15 again and have to go for someone else.  I just want to build a solid line.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I would be fine grabbing a T early but I do not know about us picking that early.  We might be closer to 15 again and have to go for someone else.  I just want to build a solid line.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're picking top 10 next draft, more because of the way the injury plague has spread recently. Even if Luck comes back say week 3, he is going to be very rusty. Also he will not have a full healthy OL in front of him. 

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we're picking top 10 next draft, more because of the way the injury plague has spread recently. Even if Luck comes back say week 3, he is going to be very rusty. Also he will not have a full healthy OL in front of him. 

Anything is possible I guess.  If we pick at say 10, we would have some solid players in front of us that good make a huge impact.  Anything lower than 10 means we could position a trade to get some solid picks.  the QB crop will help teams picking early that do not need a QB.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Anything is possible I guess.  If we pick at say 10, we would have some solid players in front of us that good make a huge impact.  Anything lower than 10 means we could position a trade to get some solid picks.  the QB crop will help teams picking early that do not need a QB.

My dream scenario for the best long term results for this team would be having a top 5 pick, getting a haul of draft picks from a team needing a QB, and still landing OT Connor Williams after the trade down. 

• Like 1