Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green Updates

TKnight24

Hmmm makes a guy look at it at a different angle. He is very young

yet with talent that can't be taught. If he can Excel in special teams

then it may be worth the wait till the light comes on.

Waiting paid off on Swoope so maybe it will pay off for Greene.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why is it necessary to plead for patience with a second year player? This should go without saying.

Because he was a 2nd round round draft pick.  It doesn't matter if he needs to learn the position, he was drafted in the 2nd round so he should be an immediate pro-bowl caliber player and if not then he should just be cut and never see the field again.

Haven't you been reading this forum?

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Because he was a 2nd round round draft pick.  It doesn't matter if he needs to learn the position, he was drafted in the 2nd round so he should be an immediate pro-bowl caliber player and if not then he should just be cut and never see the field again.

Haven't you been reading this forum?

You're right, I completely forgot about that. /s

So you mean it's not time yet, to give up on a 2nd year player who has only played the safety position for 2 years in his entire life?  Huh, who would have thought?

You realize that the criticism of him is that there are signs that he may NEVER be able to play safety right? He was moved there by Clemson because his measureables, not because he displayed the necessary skill set.

No one is harping on him because he's a 2nd round pick who wasn't great his 1st year. People are harping on him because he's a 2nd round pick who is probably a better athlete than player. He's Devin Hester basically.

Hope he is used as a gunner. He looked lost at times as a safety, but experience could fix that. IF he improves, he could be critical until Geathers gets back. Maybe covering TEs but it may take time for him to be good at that. Gotta love 6'3" 211 and 4.34 forty.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Why is it necessary to plead for patience with a second year player? This should go without saying.

Did you just fall from a tree?  That is the way the world is now, lol.  You have to be over 40 to understand what patience means....  jk 

I am guilty too.  I want, or expect, our draft picks to be good right away and our new CB (Wilson) is no exception in my mind.  It always "feels" like they should be ready to go their first year.... it is easy to assume that the NFL change comes easy to all of the players especially when you see dudes like Dak and Zeke excel like they did last year.  In reality it takes several years for a lot of them.  

Im not telling you anything you don't know, just commenting. 

I wish he were Devin Hester, then we could move him to return man and cross that position off our list.

Lol. Yeah. I mostly meant that he can be a top notch ST's guy, but he'll likely never be more than mediocre at his actual position. Bad player, great athlete and STs guy. That's Devin Hester.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Did you just fall from a tree?  That is the way the world is now, lol.  You have to be over 40 to understand what patience means....  jk 

I am guilty too.  I want, or expect, our draft picks to be good right away and our new CB (Wilson) is no exception in my mind.  It always "feels" like they should be ready to go their first year.... it is easy to assume that the NFL change comes easy to all of the players especially when you see dudes like Dak and Zeke excel like they did last year.  In reality it takes several years for a lot of them.  

Im not telling you anything you don't know, just commenting. 

LOL!  I remember walking to my friend's house when his/her phone was busy only to find out they weren't home.  Just shrugged it off and went to someone else's home or to a gathering spot.  Now kids sit next to each other and text each other.....lol!  Patience isn't a virtue in this instant gratification world.

7 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

LOL!  I remember walking to my friend's house when his/her phone was busy only to find out they weren't home.  Just shrugged it off and went to someone else's home or to a gathering spot.  Now kids sit next to each other and text each other.....lol!  Patience isn't a virtue in this instant gratification world.

Hell, I remember illegally riding my motocross bike on the country roads about 15 miles to my friend's home only to find out he wasn't home.  We were always outside doing something so I took the chance that he was too. 

like you said.... shrugged it off and found something else to do.  If my kid can't get in touch with someone with a text then he just stays home and does nothing.  It really tees me off... sometimes I choose to battle that, not always, but sometimes.  You know my tune.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Hell, I remember illegally riding my motocross bike on the country roads about 15 miles to my friend's home only to find out he wasn't home.  We were always outside doing something so I took the chance that he was too. 

like you said.... shrugged it off and found something else to do.  If my kid can't get in touch with someone with a text then he just stays home and does nothing.  It really tees me off... sometimes I choose to battle that, not always, but sometimes.  You know my tune.

My step sons complained that they had nothing to do.  So i told them how I found something to do in NY when no one was around which was rare.  We had some buildings that we spray painted a batter's box on and played stick ball there.  If I was alone I just pitched against myself with no batter....

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You realize that the criticism of him is that there are signs that he may NEVER be able to play safety right? He was moved there by Clemson because his measureables, not because he displayed the necessary skill set.

No one is harping on him because he's a 2nd round pick who wasn't great his 1st year. People are harping on him because he's a 2nd round pick who is probably a better athlete than player. He's Devin Hester basically.

You are probably dead on, but we did keep him this year even with the changing of the guard so there must be something there.

Time will tell I suppose

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

My step sons complained that they had nothing to do.  So i told them how I found something to do in NY when no one was around which was rare.  We had some buildings that we spray painted a batter's box on and played stick ball there.  If I was alone I just pitched against myself with no batter....

I pitched against dad's garage so much when I was a kid.  Actually got in trouble because the wood siding finally gave in and caved in..... not real trouble just had to help repair it.  

Every day for years I pitched against the best batters in  MLB.  What you have to do when you live in the country as a kid and cell phones and video games are somewhere in the distant future... lol

You are probably dead on, but we did keep him this year even with the changing of the guard so there must be something there.

Time will tell I suppose

Oh there's something there. There's always a place on a football team for someone that big and fast. He's a STs coach's dream. He can cover punts, Kickoffs, play on the hands team, Hail Mary coverage, and be on the FG unit. I'd keep him too with the intention that he can ball out on STs. But at safety I don't think there's anything there for him.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oh there's something there. There's always a place on a football team for someone that big and fast. He's a STs coach's dream. He can cover punts, Kickoffs, play on the hands team, Hail Mary coverage, and be on the FG unit. I'd keep him too with the intention that he can ball out on STs. But at safety I don't think there's anything there for him.

I get ya and I am there too... just hopeful that the fairy dust lands where it is supposed to.

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I pitched against dad's garage so much when I was a kid.  Actually got in trouble because the wood siding finally gave in and caved in..... not real trouble just had to help repair it.  

Every day for years I pitched against the best batters in  MLB.  What you have to do when you live in the country as a kid and cell phones and video games are somewhere in the distant future... lol

Poor urban kids had the same dilemmas:thmup:

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

By the way.... TJ Green is yet another example of why Ryan Grigson is no longer employed by the Colts

30 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

No kidding ? Like who?

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm beyond stunned you actually believe that.      Makes me feel like you don't read the forums all that much.

He's not nearly as good as Devin Hester.     DH is such a good special teams player with his returns,  that he's gone to the Pro Bowl because of that.      Green is light years away from that level of performance.

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I beat you in the WS!  I had my stuff in that game, my fast ball was smoking, my spitter oops I meant my splitter was juiced and my curve was off the table!  Maybe one day we could face each other again.  Me on my wall and you at pops garage!

6 hours ago, 100GFB said:

I beat you in the WS!  I had my stuff in that game, my fast ball was smoking, my spitter oops I meant my splitter was juiced and my curve was off the table!  Maybe one day we could face each other again.  Me on my wall and you at pops garage!

Lol, those WS losses are the worst.  I will have to make sure I have a full bottle of Advil prior to the re-match.  

I tore that garage down in 1998 and built a new one, but somewhere in storage I still have the old pitchers rubber that I used.  (I know how that sounds.... have at it.  No delicate way to say it, lol)

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Not saying we should cut him right away, but sometimes you have to be willing to admit a sunk cost.  

IMO he's got this season to find a good role with this team.  Otherwise he's a sunk cost.  

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes, Clemson moved him there because of his measurables and team need.  But he showed enough flashes at Clemson and even during his struggling rookie year to show that he can play the position, if he is willing to put in the work and improve.

As someone else mentioned teams do it with players all the time, our own Colts took athletes that had the measurables they desired and turned them into football players (Pollard and Swoope are two examples).  Because of injuries he was thrown into the mix before he was ready.

And I disagree, most of the criticism on this board is because he was a 2nd round pick.  And that was way too early to take him no doubt.

I'm beyond stunned you actually believe that.      Makes me feel like you don't read the forums all that much.

He's not nearly as good as Devin Hester.     DH is such a good special teams player with his returns,  that he's gone to the Pro Bowl because of that.      Green is light years away from that level of performance.

I do believe that. Most people just don't think he'll ever be good and/or wanted someone else in that spot. If anything, Dorsett is the one who got blasted for not producing immediately. Granted he missed a chunk of his rookie year with an injury. But he couldn't even handle punt and kick return duties.

Green gets attacked because he's not even good at football, let alone safety. His ceiling looks like a high caliber STs player. That's not worth a 2nd round pick.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

On a fan board where half the members would cut the whole team and fire everyone after each loss?  Surely you jest.  :agree:

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not saying we should cut him right away, but sometimes you have to be willing to admit a sunk cost.  

IMO he's got this season to find a good role with this team.  Otherwise he's a sunk cost.  

That's fine. I think it's unreasonable that some aren't interested in seeing what happens in 2017. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That's fine. I think it's unreasonable that some aren't interested in seeing what happens in 2017. 

Hold it are you suggesting maybe we should see him play this season before we cut him?  Man are you thinking way outside the box. 

I want to see how all the 2nd year guys look. Green Clark and Morrison are at the top of my list. Milton was up there too but he's missing a lot of time. 

It was interesting the thing specifically mentioned to keep an eye on was Green's involvement in the kicking game He returned kick offs at Clemson. Could we see him back there? 

On 8/9/2017 at 5:40 PM, Superman said:

Because we live in an instant gratification society.  I am not saying I agree with it, frankly I am with you in terms of this should be expected but for a lot of people in this world patience is a lost art.