Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL to have some full time refs now

RockThatBlue

This was supposed to happen a couple of years ago but the league cheaped out on a few items (one of them was pensions, I think)... 

It's a good move. Whether or not it makes anything better remains to be seen, but you would think it would almost HAVE to since they'll get more time to train, etc.

It won't make anything better. 99% of the problems are because the calls are essentially full speed judgement calls at crap angles. 

Do do you know how much officiating you have to do to get in the NFL? How many Pop Warner/High School/D3/D2/D1/AA games you have to go through in an officiating organization to get in the NFL? Most organizations would be lucky if they had 1 guy in they're every 15-20 years. You're basically waiting for people to die once you get to a certain level. 

These se guys have studied it all and know how to do this. You aren't picking scrubs off the street. You are picking guys who are considered the best over and over and over again at every level they've been to. 

Making them hem full time won't change anything. The mistakes for the most part are unavoidable and due to a rule set that is insanely complex and convoluted with like 5 exceptions for every rule. 

9 hours ago, GoPats said:

This was supposed to happen a couple of years ago but the league cheaped out on a few items (one of them was pensions, I think)... 

It's a good move. Whether or not it makes anything better remains to be seen, but you would think it would almost HAVE to since they'll get more time to train, etc.

This is a compromise, to me.  Some of the refs don't want to be full time. They make a better living now.

This has been a talk radio issue for a long time but year-round refs will still make bad calls in games.

They'll just make more money per bad call

I doubt think refs make bad calls because they don't train or dont study the rules year round.

..the game is almost impossibe to officiate accurately

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I doubt think refs make bad calls because they don't train or dont study the rules year round.

..the game is almost impossibe to officiate accurately

That's true, but certain things seem to happen each season where the rules aren't applied correctly... I'm just thinking that repetition and practice will help to eliminate some of those things. 

Why don't they really use technology, have the refs in a room with a bank of monitors that show all the TV cameras.  Then have a couple of drones flying over the field (one behind the offense, one behind the D) if one of the refs sees something on the bank of monitors, they push a button and the drone drops a flag.