Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Update

TKnight24

In many ways you can understand their position of not putting a timetable out there but it is getting more and more frustrating to get no specific news.  I still think the fact that there is no seasoned veteran being brought in means that he is scheduled to start week 1 but will be interesting to see when/if he gets practice reps or even potentially plays a few snaps in a pre season game.

20 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Our defense is improved and running game could be better. We should be able to beat the Rams with Tolzein if Luck needs to be out week 1.

Chris Ballard has repeatedly said they will NOT rush him back. However, he WILL build a NFL team that's capable of winning without our franchise at the helm. 

Ballard has been straightforward with us thus far, I see no reason to panic or not believe him

59 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Our defense is improved and running game could be better. We should be able to beat the Rams with Tolzein if Luck needs to be out week 1.

Like your optimism, but honestly I think the Colts lose by 10-14 pts on the road at the Coliseum if Luck doesn't play. The Rams defense will be the difference maker even if their offense is putrid like last year. I think it would be too much for Tolzien or Morris in the first game of the season to handle.

19 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Man I hope he can get in for the third preseason game. He's not a Peyton type of timing based QB but I'd like to see him kick off some rust. We can beat the Rams with a rusty Luck or Tolzien. 

I wouldn't play him at all in the preseason. Why risk it for a meaningless game? Luck may not have quite the timing he otherwise would in L.A., but its a risk/reward balance. He will be fine without playing in preseason and it won't take him long to get back up to speed assuming he is healthy. He is entering his sixth year at this point and is a true veteran.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

In many ways you can understand their position of not putting a timetable out there but it is getting more and more frustrating to get no specific news.  I still think the fact that there is no seasoned veteran being brought in means that he is scheduled to start week 1 but will be interesting to see when/if he gets practice reps or even potentially plays a few snaps in a pre season game.

Ballard said specifically that all indications are that Luck will not start the season on the PUP. haha

All kidding aside I also hope Luck can get a few snaps in before the season starts.

If Luck don't get to start the season opener I am not letting it get me all bent out of shape. There is absolutely nothing I or anyone of us can do so might as well make the best of it.

4 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I wouldn't play him at all in the preseason. Why risk it for a meaningless game? Luck may not have quite the timing he otherwise would in L.A., but its a risk/reward balance. He will be fine without playing in preseason and it won't take him long to get back up to speed assuming he is healthy. He is entering his sixth year at this point and is a true veteran.

523.gif

There is no timetable or rush but it would be pointless to have him on the PUP.  He might miss the first 3 games but regardless you do not want him guaranteed to miss the first 6.  I hope he plays week 1 but would not be surprised if he doesn't.  As noted above Ballard has said he wants a team not just a QB.  We should be able to beat the Rams without Luck if we truly improved the line and D.

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

We would be significant underdogs in that situation.

Not really "significant"  Most oddsmakers have Indy as 4 point favorites with Luck, 3 point dogs without him....  and they give 3 points for home field, thus it seems with Luck Indy is favored by a good amount, and without him, it's a toss up.....

We have to be the most precautious franchise in the world. Luck is in the bottom 25 percentile on his recovery time, and I have a hard time believing that he isn't able to be game ready within 3 weeks if we needed him. I don't really understand the holdup. Of course, I will watch every game this year with or without luck, but it would suck knowing we aren't going to make the playoffs before the season opener even begins. Luck needs to be getting 1st team reps in 2 weeks before the season starts or he will be incredibly rusty the first 3 or so weeks of the season anyways. 

Disappointed that we are in such a confused state as a fan base right now. But I trust Ballard's approach. I just don't like it. 

46 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I don't think people realize how important reps are to a QB during the offseason. Training camp is a vital piece of preparation. Luck is one of the best QB's in the league. I honestly believed he would be MVP back in May. But with the low amount of reps he will get, and possibly missed games, it's hard to make that statement sound legitimate. 

39 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

We have to be the most precautious franchise in the world. Luck is in the bottom 25 percentile on his recovery time, and I have a hard time believing that he isn't able to be game ready within 3 weeks if we needed him. I don't really understand the holdup. Of course, I will watch every game this year with or without luck, but it would suck knowing we aren't going to make the playoffs before the season opener even begins. Luck needs to be getting 1st team reps in 2 weeks before the season starts or he will be incredibly rusty the first 3 or so weeks of the season anyways. 

Disappointed that we are in such a confused state as a fan base right now. But I trust Ballard's approach. I just don't like it. 

A rusty Andrew Luck is still better than a lot of starting QBs in the league. Our schedule starts off easy. Everything will be fine. 

52 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't think people realize how important reps are to a QB during the offseason. Training camp is a vital piece of preparation. Luck is one of the best QB's in the league. I honestly believed he would be MVP back in May. But with the low amount of reps he will get, and possibly missed games, it's hard to make that statement sound legitimate. 

I'm not saying he shouldn't get reps in practice -- and I of course agree that they are very important regardless of how good the player is. But I wouldn't play him in a preseason game and open him up to someone from another team taking a shot at him when he is vulnerable and still recovering.

I agree with you that he was excellent last year and without the injury may have been in the MVP discussion.

25 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

A rusty Andrew Luck is still better than a lot of starting QBs in the league. Our schedule starts off easy. Everything will be fine. 

We play arguably 2 top 5 defenses in Arizona and Seattle. St. Louis is a top 10 defense arguably as well. And without Luck, our offense is bottom 7 in the NFL. That's why I believe luck is truly top 2 MVP last year with Aaron Rodgers.  He's so vital to this team.

7 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't get reps in practice -- and I of course agree that they are very important regardless of how good the player is. But I wouldn't play him in a preseason game and open him up to someone from another team taking a shot at him when he is vulnerable and still recovering.

I agree with you that he was excellent last year and without the injury may have been in the MVP discussion.

but here's the thing.  If you intentionally hold him out of preseason even though he's medically cleared, then you're sending him into game 1 on the road against an already great Rams defense that is only going to be better with Wade Phillips at the helm...he has pioneered some of the best attacking 3-4 defenses in history, and now he's got a team that yeah he's going to be making some adjustments to the scheme, but he has a lot of talent to work with.  so you'd be sending him out there with no live game action with nothing more than practice (and we all know that practices arent' what they used to be) against the DC known best for finding ways to get to the QB.  

IMO, sending Luck out against Wade's defense with zero live game action is more likely to get him injured than playing him in preseason.

20 minutes ago, J@son said:

but here's the thing.  If you intentionally hold him out of preseason even though he's medically cleared, then you're sending him into game 1 on the road against an already great Rams defense that is only going to be better with Wade Phillips at the helm...he has pioneered some of the best attacking 3-4 defenses in history, and now he's got a team that yeah he's going to be making some adjustments to the scheme, but he has a lot of talent to work with.  so you'd be sending him out there with no live game action with nothing more than practice (and we all know that practices arent' what they used to be) against the DC known best for finding ways to get to the QB.  

IMO, sending Luck out against Wade's defense with zero live game action is more likely to get him injured than playing him in preseason.

I'm not disagreeing that Luck isn't going to be as ready as he would be if he got a little live-game action in preseason. I just don't think the reward justifies the risk. I am okay with losing the first game of the season if it means Luck is completely healthy. I'd hate for him to play in the third preseason game and take a shot that aggravates the old injury that isn't quite healed and is then nagging him throughout the regular season (or worse -- completely out) all just so he could get back in the groove a little sooner.

Again, I think the fact he has five years under his belt makes the preseason less important than it would be if he was a rookie or 2nd or even 3rd year player. Yes, he'll be rusty the first game in LA against a good defense, but I am willing to live with that.

6 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I'm not disagreeing that Luck isn't going to be as ready as he would be if he got a little live-game action in preseason. I just don't think the reward justifies the risk. I am okay with losing the first game of the season if it means Luck is completely healthy. I'd hate for him to play in the third preseason game and take a shot that aggravates the old injury that isn't quite healed and is then nagging him throughout the regular season (or worse -- completely out) all just so he could get back in the groove a little sooner.

Again, I think the fact he has five years under his belt makes the preseason less important than it would be if he was a rookie or 2nd or even 3rd year player. Yes, he'll be rusty the first game in LA against a good defense, but I am willing to live with that.

he wouldn't play in a preseason game with an injury that isn't quite healed.  he won't play in preseason unless doctors fully clear him.  and if they do, then he should play.

3 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Man I hope he can get in for the third preseason game. He's not a Peyton type of timing based QB but I'd like to see him kick off some rust. We can beat the Rams with a rusty Luck or Tolzien. 

Colts have already confirmed Luck WILL NOT play at all in the pre-season 

I made a thread about that awhile back I think 

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I don't see any of the available FA QBs being better than Tolzien and it isn't worth giving away future draft picks to bring in a guy who may not even be needed to start.

The best FA QBs available are: RGIII, Colin Kaepernick, Christian Ponder, Shaun Hill, Vince Young, Jonny Manziel, and Josh Freeman.

I do not think a single one of them would be an upgrade to Tolzien.  Ponder is probably the most similar to him and I don't see him as an upgrade, and if healthy RGIII may be more skilled than him but RGIII and Kaepernick are both built to play in different style systems than the offense we have built in Indy. 

3 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

The reason to play him in preseason is because we have some changes to this team on offense (e.g., Mewhort to the right side, Haeg to the left, another year of development for what was a very young line last year, no Dwayne Allen at TE, Aiken as another WR option for Luck, and the expected/potential increase of playing time for Turbin and Mack).  It would be nice to have Luck at least get a couple of live reps against real competition prior to the regular season for a couple reasons, main ones being: (1) just to get him used to the game speed and his new teammates/line-up, (2) to shake off some rust, get used to taking a hit or two, (3) to give him a feel for his stamina, it is really hard to judge how 'game-fit' you are based solely on practicing, and (4) to see how he holds up in live action -- it may be his arm gets fatigued on the 2nd or 3rd series and it is decided he needs another 2-3 weeks of rehab to gain the strength/stamina needed to last a full game.  If I'm Chud/Pagano, I'd make it so Luck would get only 1 quarter, maybe the first series of the second quarter and everything designed as hand-offs or very quick pass plays to minimize the potential for him to get hit.

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

We are talking about a franchise QB (even missing half a season he is 3rd most all-time behind Marino and Peyton for most TDs in his first 5 years and we have all seen what he can do in terms of putting this team on his back and leading them to victory) with an injury to his shoulder area on his throwing arm.  There is no reason not to be precautious here.  If he misses a couple games to start the season to get 100% healthy, we still get him for the majority of the season and likely another 10 years -- if we rush him back and he messes that up again, we are talking about the potential for him to miss the whole season or even have his career cut short.  This isn't like it's a broken pinky or something like that.

As far as being in a confused state as a fan base, Ballard, Pagano, Irsay and Luck have all been very transparent throughout this process.  They are going to have him go through his rehabilitation program and base their decision on when Luck sees live action based on how well he is progressing through that without rushing or forcing anything.

We should also take into account that Luck was not lifting his upper body for the vast majority of the off-season.  In photos of him just a month or so ago he looked like he was ~15+ pounds lighter than he normally is.  Part of the reason why Luck has been so durable in spite of the amount of hits he has taken is because of how big and strong he is -- a 230 lbs. Luck getting hit by a 250 lbs. LB or 300 lbs. DL is quite different than a 250 lbs. Luck taking that same force.

1 hour ago, Dudley Smith said:

I think the Colts have been pretty clear -- when Luck's ready he'll play.  If he's ready to go in game 3 or 4 of preseason, he'll go and there are certainly benefits of him getting some reps and live game speed as noted above.  If he's not ready, he won't go.  I think it's as simple as that -- if they feel he's strong enough and 100% recovered during preseason then he will see time during preseason, if they feel he's anywhere less than 100% during preseason then he won't see time during preseason.

This is our franchise QB, who Irsay made the highest paid QB in football when he re-signed him.  The plan is to have him have a healthy and productive career and to win multiple SBs with him -- when he's 100% we'll see him on the field again regardless of if it's in preseason or in week 10 of the regular season.

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

This may also be about selling tickets. If Luck is on the PUP list to start the season, who is wanting to buy tickets?

3 hours ago, J@son said:

100% agree. Luck won't be on the same page as the receivers so he will be holding onto the ball longer and will get sacked multiple times by their front seven. 

If he is is medically cleared, he should be out there. I don't get it. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Everything as I have anticipated and mentioned in numerous posts...  Let's see what happens at the end of the month...

Im with you.  Patience for all of us is good medicine.  We can't "wish" him on the field as much as we all would like to do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in game 1 and I wouldn't be surprised if he misses game 1.  At some point he WILL be back and no doubt he will be healthier when he is.... maybe even better (than we expect) as he gains confidence.... at least that is what I am hoping for.