Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kaepernick

CR91

What are your thoughts on this situation? Is he being blackballed by the league or is he not good enough to be on a team. There has also been questions about his desire to play, but Cutler's desire is making money not football and yet he was signed.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I cant really agree that Cutler only desire is to make money being he signed a very low contract. I would venture to say he more than likely could have got more had he had money on his mind.

It's not like he's getting vet min. 10 mil is a lot

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What are your thoughts on this situation? Is he being blackballed by the league or is he not good enough to be on a team. There has also been questions about his desire to play, but Cutler's desire is making money not football and yet he was signed.

I don't think he's being deliberately blackballed as much as just that teams don't want the added attention for a middle-of-the-road QB. Cutler signing in Miami was more about his connection to Gase than it was about them picking him out from the available FA quarterbacks. 

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He blackballed himself you cant be and * like he was and expect people to want to sign you.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

He blackballed himself you cant be and * like he was and expect people to want to sign you.

Is what he did really worse then doing drugs or having maturity problems ala Zeke

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Is what he did really worse then doing drugs or having maturity problems ala Zeke

no, but hes not good enough to make teams feel like he is necessary

elliot is basically a star player that lead the league in rushing last year.  bell gets away with stuff too since he is also really good

kap made it too easy for teams to pass on him.

he wasnt very good the last few years and now he brings in a significant distraction

the jets are tanking for a QB, no need for kap.   the browns and bears each drafted a project and no one expects them to win this year.  i dont see where he fits in as a starter

He has the skills to be a decent starter in the league, so long as he has the right offensive gameplan around him. Unfortunately for him, the style of offense he flourishes under isnt what most teams are looking for anymore. Hes not a great pocket passer, which means teams dont even want to use him as a backup because they dont want to have to redo their entire playbook should the starter go down.

Do his protests maybe contribute to it? Im sure they do to an extent. But at the same time, we dont see anyone pushing and shoving to sign RG3, a player with a similar skillset to Kaep.

I think it mostly comes down to schemes. NFL coaches are shying away from designed qb runs/read options.  Even highly successful qbs like Cam Newton and Russell Wilson are being coached to stop running as much and become better pocket passers. Those players have proven that they can make strides towards doing that. I dont think coaches/GMs are convinced Kaep (or RG3 for that matter) can make those strides. 

Kaep brought it on himself with his political nonsense. Sure, you have freedom of speech, but you also have to think of the consequences that come with what you're going to be doing. Right now, most of the country is up in arms with each other about this stuff. Team owners don't want bad business and negative attention, so he's most likely done in my honest opinion. The only way he is signed is if a team has an injured starting QB for the year and then their back up QB is out for the year as well. Last resort I suppose.

This is such a made up nothing burger its hilarious.  Some vocal folks are trying to make this out to be some political thing, that he's being oppressed for something other than the lack of ability.  Its an old card.

1968 was 49 years ago.  Claiming to be oppressed is a tired argument that carries little weight anymore.  But it still can generate hysteria in some circles and even fund causes if its sold correctly.

Kaepernick was good when he ran the read option, because he excelled at running fast in a straight line...when he had a good coach and a team with a great defense.

Once the NFL figured out the read-option, his coach was fired, and his defense got hurt, Kaepernick was exposed as being what he is.........a qb QB that should have never been in the NFL in the first place.  Can't throw accurately, has a horribly slow release, and can't even scramble because he's not very elusive.  He's a fast straight line runner with a strong arm.  Big deal.

Give me Tolzien or Morris any day.

Owners are scared of the bad PR they'll get if they sign him. People are really upset about the whole kneeling shenanigans and it's unfortunate. I am sure he can still develop and learn to be a better player with the right coaches. It will take some devastating injuries or desperation for a team to sign him at this point though. 

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

CR if you're going to shoot down every reply then it doesn't look like you really want to know what people's thoughts on the situation are.

Just trying to get different points of view that's all

I am so tired of hearing about Kaepernick and now the sports media has been covering it non stop in the last few weeks almost begging someone to sign him so they can follow "the dude who kneels for the anthem on his new team" story.

It's as if when Tannehill got hurt the sports media went insane doing jumping jacks, CAN THE DOLPHINS HAZ GET KAEP NOW PLEASE? And then when they got Cutler they were all like "ohhhhhhhh noooooooooo."

God forbid anything happens serious to Luck or Tozien since then people will hound us too.

I think "The Fish" said it best last week in the Colts section about Kaep in a Luck thread. He said Kaep's "Rage against the Machine lead singer audition" can get irksome. Which it can.......

It's not that Kaep IMO can't help out out a team but it's just not worth the hassle at this point. It's starting to become comparable to Tebow. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

OK, look here.  Then list all of the starting QB's that are not on a rookie contract making less than Jay Cutler...

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2017/

place names here- _____________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________(very few)__

2017 QB name                   Salary Cap value                                  Cash Spent

R. Tannehill                            $20,300,000                                     $18,000,000

J. Cutler                                 $10,000,000                                     $10,000,000

Seems to me not only did the Dolphins get an upgrade, they got it at a hefty discount too.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Just read the Ryan Tannehill thread. 

11 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

His GF called the Ravens owner a racist. His NFL days are probably done.

Hes not good enough to be worth the risk of signing.

I think his play isn't near what it was either like it was in 2012/2013. That has a lot to do with teams not signing him. He has to have the right system to be great and no team wants to take a chance on him right now.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think his play isn't near what it was either like it was in 2012/2013. That has a lot to do with teams not signing him. He has to have the right system to be great and no team wants to take a chance him right now.

Great players can say and do whatever they want.  Their play puts butts in the seats.   Cam Newton could sacrifice a puppy during the national anthem and still have a job

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think his play isn't near what it was either like it was in 2012/2013. That has a lot to do with teams not signing him. He has to have the right system to be great and no team wants to take a chance him right now.

If he was still playing like that, he would be on an NFL roster. Teams wouldn't mind taking a risk. Today, hes a back up at best and hes a back up with on/off field issues. Its hard enough being just a back up without issues, and he has both problems.

Lets say Cam Newton or Russell Wilson kneeled before the Anthem this year, does anyone think that they would get the Kaep treatment? They are Top 7 QB's at worse. 25 owners would sign them tomorrow and give them huge Contracts. Kaep just isn't that good anymore. So why sign him if you are an owner to go along with the media circus. I wouldn't.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

What he was doing is a disgrace to this country also as for Zeke the NFL investigated him for a year didn't find nothing means he did nothing and now they are just looking for any excuse to nail him for something just to me shows what a joke commissioner Goodell is.