Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck hits the PUP list, will you still watch the first 6 games?

Yoshinator

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I won't do anything alone, nor am I doing it to "teach Irsay a lesson", but remember that a lot of people turned off the TV whenever Kaepernick knelt for the national anthem. If the timing is wrong on this (Irsay announces Luck hits the PUP list suddenly after the final preseason game), a lot of casuals won't watch and some people will not go to the games or just give them to the fans of the opponents. There will definitely be lower ratings on the Colts first 6 games, and probably less of a crowd advantage as well in the stadium during home games in that stretch.

I still think games will sell out.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Probably, I don't think I'd be stable enough to be a high school coach. I'd be too competitive, then too emotional if there were simple mistakes that cost the team a game. I'm way too competitive that I usually only involve myself with individual competition, where I don't have to rely on anyone else.

I am the same way. I would rather play someone one on one like when it comes to Basketball because I have complete control on what happens or playing someone in Chess. I feel great about those things. I think Coaching would drive me nuts.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am the same way. I would rather play someone one on one like when it comes to Basketball because I have complete control on what happens or playing someone in Chess. I feel great about those things. I think Coaching would drive me nuts.

I loved coaching but I also grew up around HS sports since my Dad had coached Football, Baseball, and Wrestlng before I was born and was the Head Track Coach at PCHS for nearly 20 years and then got back into Football during my HS career.I served as Manager for the PCHS track team from 2ns Through 8th Grade and spotter for the HS TV when my Dad was the color announcer for Tiger Games.  I started breaking down Game films during my HS career and then developed scouting reports during college and then during my 2 year coaching career

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I loved coaching but I also grew up around HS sports since my Dad had coached Football, Baseball, and Wrestlng before I was born and was the Head Track Coach at PCHS for nearly 20 years and then got back into Football during my HS career.I served as Manager for the PCHS track team from 2ns Through 8th Grade and spotter for the HS TV when my Dad was the color announcer for Tiger Games.  I started breaking down Game films during my HS career and then developed scouting reports during college and then during my 2 year coaching career

That is very impressive! Did you ever try and become a scout at the NFL level at any point?

Hell yeah I'll still be watching. Not about to sacrifice 40% of the games because the coach doesn't know exactly when Luck will be back to full health. This is my first year as a Colts fan where I'm actually more excited to see the defense than the offense. I don't have much confidence in Tolzien but with our cake schedule I think he can get us to 3-3. Then we get General Luck to lead the offense and Sergeant Geathers to destroy anyone who tries to carry a football and I think we've got a good chance at a deep playoff run. 

And this is all assuming he's not ready week one. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I grew up in a world where honesty is the best policy. If you do something to hurt me, I could probably forgive you as long as you were honest about it. The worst thing something can do to me is lie to my face. I'm sorry, NCF, I take that personally, especially when I build my whole winter around something, and I'm almost being held hostage because of a strategic decision. Wade Phillps is going to prepare for BOTH Andrew Luck and Scott Tolzien. He's not stupid. He knows there's a possibility of both starting week 1. This will backfire on Irsay for not saying anything if he waits til the last second to announce that Luck is on the PUP list. Lots of fans won't watch, some fans will sell their tickets to rival teams or just not go. It won't affect most people on this site, but it will affect the larger part of casuals, and a few hardcores who will just sleep in, go to church, or go hang out with friends that day instead.

Of course Phillips will prepare for both.     He will because he has to.    We're forcing him to by not announcing Luck is out.      That means he has to divide his time.      It's to our advantage.

And you're ignoring the reality....    the Colts are doing the exact same thing that all 31 other NFL teams do.   I don't even thik of it as "lying"....

I think of it as "not telling the complete truth."

Tom Brady says he's never suffered a single concussion in his career.    Now, how likely is that?     New England has never reported Brady to have a concussion --- ever.      But Giselle goes on National TV and says he suffered a concussion last year and this wasn't the first.      Everyone does it.

As for Irsay,   he wants as many people sitting in the stands as possible.    Even if they have bought tickets already,  he wants them at the stadium.      Paying for parking...   for a program...   for jersey's and souvineers...    for food and drink.      There's money to be made.      All owners do this.

This is not trying to insult anyone.    Look,  you're in yur 30's....    this is not your first rodeo...     take it as you see fit.....    but I think you're working yourself into a lather over finding out that Santa Claus isn't real and people have been lying to you about Christmas.       It's part of being a fan...   whether it's football or basketball or baseball or any other sport....      information is only revaled when (A) they have to,  or (B) it's to their advantage...

I don't think they are taking us for granted per se. They don't want to speculate on anything which is fine, but this leads to everyone else speculating. It is kind of ridiculous in my opinion not give some sort of time table. Doesn't everyone know that all these time tables are subject to change? Do we even know if Luck is throwing a football yet? I know he said he was throwing but didn't say what he was throwing.

As for your question, yes, I will watch whether Luck plays or not.

Yes I will.

I don't understand why people think the Cols should make any kind of announcement about Luck five weeks before the season starts. It's like booking a vacation at a resort and demanding they tell you what the weather will be like.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's just my opinion but as a Colts fan how can you even go in this direction and not support your team?

If Luck plays or not to point a finger at Irsay and think he is trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes is absurd and delusional.

This.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, the QB is the most important individual player of a team, especially one like Luck. When he falls, the rest of the pyramid crumbles. Tolzien better play like Warner did when he took over, or we'll be out before Luck enters. I'd be much more inclined to watch if we were told about Luck's status. That's the whole point of this thread. Irsay won't tell us, and he expects us to fall in line. I don't like that.

Jimmy irsay is a SAINT, next to his Dad.  If you think Jimmy drove off fans, you should have tried following the Baltimore Colts from 72-84!!!

The Colts haven't signed another qb,  so I expect Luck to play soon...   But it Is reminiscent of Marvins injury....

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The title says it all. I know I will gain some heat for this, but I don't care. I want to watch this season real bad, and I'm extremely excited about all the new players on the team (from the draft and FA's), the thing that upsets me is that Luck, the Coaches, the GM, and the Owner think so little of the fans, and think they so dumb, that they do not deserve an update on Luck's timetable to return and just take it for granted that we'll still watch and buy tickets. I'm a loyal Colts fan, and wouldn't mind weathering the storm without Luck as one because injuries can happen and you have to take the good with the bad, but nobody on the team can even tell us when he is returning, if he is going on the PUP list, or any sort of info that isn't "speculation" from the media. Irsay seems to be taking the fans for granted and figures they'll just show up anyway because they are mindless sheep who will buy whatever he tells them and come to games and watch them no matter what. Every other player that is relevant with an injury on every team has some sort of timetable, whether the injury is short or long. The only one that doesn't is Luck. It's a spit in the face to every fan that wants to be excited about the season, and can't now because of a simple lack of information.

So my question is, are you going to watch the first six games? I don't know if I will yet, because I don't feel like being someone that Irsay and the rest of the higher ups feels is an inferior being that doesn't deserve some simple info. Tear me up if you want, I don't care, but at least give a solid response either way. I think we should be treated with a decent amount of respect as fans.

Maybe the timetable for his return is just too close to call. We have been getting updates as they come along, it is a process, after all. Saying that, things could turn around quickly; we could all read the headline "Luck back to practice or Luck

to start, this Sunday". Of course, we could also read; "Luck placed on IR". Where some of us differ with you is the perception that the Colts know he won't be playing the first six games or this year at all and are holding back for dubious reasons. That speaks to their character and I think that is an assumption that is not grounded in anything substantive, maybe they honestly just don't know at this point. I agree with some here that it is far better to wait till he's ready and that this team could be good enough to go 3-3 or even 4-2, should he miss the first six games.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The title says it all. I know I will gain some heat for this, but I don't care. I want to watch this season real bad, and I'm extremely excited about all the new players on the team (from the draft and FA's), the thing that upsets me is that Luck, the Coaches, the GM, and the Owner think so little of the fans, and think they so dumb, that they do not deserve an update on Luck's timetable to return and just take it for granted that we'll still watch and buy tickets. I'm a loyal Colts fan, and wouldn't mind weathering the storm without Luck as one because injuries can happen and you have to take the good with the bad, but nobody on the team can even tell us when he is returning, if he is going on the PUP list, or any sort of info that isn't "speculation" from the media. Irsay seems to be taking the fans for granted and figures they'll just show up anyway because they are mindless sheep who will buy whatever he tells them and come to games and watch them no matter what. Every other player that is relevant with an injury on every team has some sort of timetable, whether the injury is short or long. The only one that doesn't is Luck. It's a spit in the face to every fan that wants to be excited about the season, and can't now because of a simple lack of information.

So my question is, are you going to watch the first six games? I don't know if I will yet, because I don't feel like being someone that Irsay and the rest of the higher ups feels is an inferior being that doesn't deserve some simple info. Tear me up if you want, I don't care, but at least give a solid response either way. I think we should be treated with a decent amount of respect as fans.

Why do you have a deep rooted hatred of Irsay? 

Are you are aware there are laws that protect Luck from having his medical records being looked at or discussed with anyone other than who Luck himself deems fit to see or talk about?

What does any of this have to do with Irsay?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Why do you have a deep rooted hatred of Irsay? 

Are you are aware there are laws that protect Luck from having his medical records being looked at or discussed with anyone other than who Luck himself deems fit to see or talk about?

What does any of this have to do with Irsay?

Just woke up. I don't hate Irsay. I don't live in Indiana, so I feel pretty indifferent about him compared to most people here. The PITA records or whatever have nothing to do with giving a general timetable on Luck's injury. I don't want an in-depth report. I just want a timetable or estimate of how long it'll take for him to return, and if it changes, that's perfectly fine. Just keep us in the loop, and respect us as fans is all I ask.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes I will.

I don't understand why people think the Cols should make any kind of announcement about Luck five weeks before the season starts. It's like booking a vacation at a resort and demanding they tell you what the weather will be like.

Actually, no it isn't. I can look up the weather, and make a general decision if I want to go if it turns out horrible. The information is available online. The EXACT problem, is the Luck injury is not available online, and the only ones that know the exact details are the Colts brass and Luck himself. Like I have said numerous times, I just want a general update when it's available that's subject to change as new info comes in. That's all.

Are you guys serious lol? When Peyton went down and we went 2-14 I was watching every game and we had qbs like dan orlovsky and curtis painter didnt matter to me because im a huge colts fan... If every team fans had your mentality teams like the rams jags browns etc wouldnt have fans lol.... Not watching a colts game if im able to has never crossed my mind ever in my 13 years of being a colts fan

I will still watch, Jared. I want to see how the team looks. I think in Luck's case, they're probably waiting to see how he looks right before the 1st game. No real reason to say anything now, it's too early. I think most are thinking Luck isn't going to play in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just woke up. I don't hate Irsay. I don't live in Indiana, so I feel pretty indifferent about him compared to most people here. The PITA records or whatever have nothing to do with giving a general timetable on Luck's injury. I don't want an in-depth report. I just want a timetable or estimate of how long it'll take for him to return, and if it changes, that's perfectly fine. Just keep us in the loop, and respect us as fans is all I ask.

There is no clear cut timetable. You seem to think this is some kind of conspiracy or something. All this is standard procedure in the NFL and for you to make an issue of it that carries this over to the extreme you have taken this is on the edge of ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think you have my blocked so you won't see this.  

On my behalf, can someone else please reply to Jared with a Dear God...

Lol I'll humor you. Maybe it's the Millennialist in me, or perhaps I'm not a diehard fan like the rest of you. That's for ya'll to decide. I'm a big Colts fan, I believe at least. I always cheer and support. I don't back down when they suck and still show off my memorabilia. But really.. you think I watched all the games in 2011? I think I stopped at week 7... I couldn't take anymore.. Imagine someone just repeatedly destroy something you like. You still like it, but you're not gonna watch the whole destruction.

We have NFL ticket now.. so many other games to watch. Weather you play fantasy, like a secondary team, or there is just a good matchup you'd like to see. I would definitely go down that road. Now I'll watch the first few games. But if we cant beat rams, browns, 49ers without Luck.. it's kinda depressing, and I'll watch a different game.

21 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Are you guys serious lol? When Peyton went down and we went 2-14 I was watching every game and we had qbs like dan orlovsky and curtis painter didnt matter to me because im a huge colts fan... If every team fans had your mentality teams like the rams jags browns etc wouldnt have fans lol.... Not watching a colts game if im able to has never crossed my mind ever in my 13 years of being a colts fan

Lol hey same as me.. 2003 whenever we couldn't score on the goal line against the Patriots I randomly became a fan and immediately started my Patriots hating lol or is that 14 years.. oh well... lol

But really, how long did you watch October 23, 2011? (Which was my 21st birthday) National Televised game.. I love my Colts. But that night it crossed my mind not to watch that anymore haha

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course I will watch.   And the team doesn't need to let the fans know anything yet.  They might not be sure themselves yet

Yes, it's a game, but there's a lot of things about that game that not revealing anything about Luck's injury affects. For me, it affects whether I order Sunday ticket for the first time as I live in Colorado. For people living in Indiana, it affects whether they want to go to games or buy tickets (and if they bought tickets already, they have no idea if Luck is playing and whether they should sell their tickets possibly or still go. The more time it takes, the less time they have to make a decision). Those 6 games, if we go 2-4 or 1-5 with Tolzien, will ruin any chance we have of making the playing most likely when Luck does come back. In essence, it's a wasted year. Not to mention all the fans have less fun without Luck playing. Some simple information and honesty about Luck's injury would be nice.

I hear what you  are saying.  My wife and I have tickets to the season opener against the Rams even though we have NFL Sunday Ticket. My wife could just stay home but decided to buy tickets to watch the game in LA.  It wouldn't be the same without Luck out there so we feel kinda torn not knowing his status. We're still excited to go but our chances of winning is not the same with Tolzien is out there.  

Yes, it's a game, but there's a lot of things about that game that not revealing anything about Luck's injury affects. For me, it affects whether I order Sunday ticket for the first time as I live in Colorado. For people living in Indiana, it affects whether they want to go to games or buy tickets (and if they bought tickets already, they have no idea if Luck is playing and whether they should sell their tickets possibly or still go. The more time it takes, the less time they have to make a decision). Those 6 games, if we go 2-4 or 1-5 with Tolzien, will ruin any chance we have of making the playing most likely when Luck does come back. In essence, it's a wasted year. Not to mention all the fans have less fun without Luck playing. Some simple information and honesty about Luck's injury would be nice.

They might have more information than they're letting on- they might not, but it's safe to assume that broadly they really don't know when Luck will be ready to roll. And as another poster mentioned- frankly they shouldn't be volunteering a timeline- that's kind of how NFL teams handle injuries 101.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

Jimmy irsay is a SAINT, next to his Dad.  If you think Jimmy drove off fans, you should have tried following the Baltimore Colts from 72-84!!!

The Colts haven't signed another qb,  so I expect Luck to play soon...   But it Is reminiscent of Marvins injury....

I hadn't thought of Marvin.  He was such an amazing athlete to watch. I hope this is not THAT

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not single person mentioned above there determines such a timetable.  The doctor(s) and medical team together do that.  It is totally out of Luck's, the Owner, GM, and coaches hands. Unfortunately for fans, the medical care of patients is not restricted to timetable dates like pre-season games, regular season start times, PUP list deadlines, etc... or anything football related.

Healing is like someone very slowly turning up the rheostat on the dining room chandelier.  It's a slow process (not at all like flipping a light switch from off to on) and no two people do it at exactly the same rate.  Timetables are educated estimates based upon the ranges found from thousands of people who have suffered and healed / recovered from the same malady.  Patients must fulfill post operative rehab program goals before being 'cleared' or 'released', and that can and does vary. 

Some things that contribute to the differences? Extent and location of the injury.  Skill of physician performing reconstruction or repair.  Skill of the Post Op medical team - physical therapist / athletic trainer, etc... , and finally the patient themselves- how fast natural healing/recovery occurs and their dedication to aggressively pursuing and completing assigned rehab exercises.

No one on a medical team is going to proclaim a confirmed date way in advance for the team to announce, then have to backtrack and explain to the team Owner/GM/Coaches they need to tell the fans they were wrong in the timetable, should a setback in recovery occur ( and yes, they can and do happen, as much as everyone tries everything to avoid it ). Now certainly the team knows things we don't like how far along in the rehab he is, if there are anything impacting the schedule, and what still needs to be achieved before getting 'cleared'.  These things are somewhat fluid, and not something the team will reveal as confirmed dates and be held to should the projection not be met. .  I'm sorry, but is the way I see it happening

Yes, no question I'll watch.  I'm a fan of the Colts, not just Luck, or Peyton before him.  I'll wait for the medical team to tell Irsay/Ballard/Pagano when to inform fans when Luck's return is imminent. Until then, I'll watch the Colts any chance I get, whether Luck is back sooner, or later.