Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck hits the PUP list, will you still watch the first 6 games?

Yoshinator

The title says it all. I know I will gain some heat for this, but I don't care. I want to watch this season real bad, and I'm extremely excited about all the new players on the team (from the draft and FA's), the thing that upsets me is that Luck, the Coaches, the GM, and the Owner think so little of the fans, and think they so dumb, that they do not deserve an update on Luck's timetable to return and just take it for granted that we'll still watch and buy tickets. I'm a loyal Colts fan, and wouldn't mind weathering the storm without Luck as one because injuries can happen and you have to take the good with the bad, but nobody on the team can even tell us when he is returning, if he is going on the PUP list, or any sort of info that isn't "speculation" from the media. Irsay seems to be taking the fans for granted and figures they'll just show up anyway because they are mindless sheep who will buy whatever he tells them and come to games and watch them no matter what. Every other player that is relevant with an injury on every team has some sort of timetable, whether the injury is short or long. The only one that doesn't is Luck. It's a spit in the face to every fan that wants to be excited about the season, and can't now because of a simple lack of information.

So my question is, are you going to watch the first six games? I don't know if I will yet, because I don't feel like being someone that Irsay and the rest of the higher ups feels is an inferior being that doesn't deserve some simple info. Tear me up if you want, I don't care, but at least give a solid response either way. I think we should be treated with a decent amount of respect as fans.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, wig said:

Of course. But I am going to the game in Seattle and will be pretty bummed if he isn't out there. 

That will be a tough game regardless Week 4 in Seattle on Sunday night. We'll definitely need Luck to have a chance there. Lets hope he is back.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

If Luck hits the PUP list and misses 6 games, chances are the season is lost - Pagano and crew are fired.

Luck will walk into year 7 having learned yet another offense, and yet another year of his career wasted.

Exactly, even with Ballard at the helm, this could be another wasted year. I just wish we would get some sort of info, either way. I just want honesty. It doesn't all have to be good news, I just appreciate the honesty from someone like a Ballard or Irsay once in a while.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

It'll be fun to watch the young blood, potentially future longtime Colts start their pro journeys.

It's going to be nice watching some new names.

This is the upside to the situation, we get to see the draft picks and the other young players develop. Hopefully we hit big on a player or two (particularly a defensively player).

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@Jared Cisneros @Flash7 @jameszeigler834

This is the Indianapolis Colts not Indianapolis Lucks

and

Everything Will Be Okay 

I see your point but respectfully, I disagree. 

And just for fun (and not any disrespect) the "Indianapolis Mannings" ars now the "Indianapolis Lucks'" just as the Forty Montanas became the Forty Youngs and the Green Bay Favres became the Green Bay Rogers.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This whole line of logic is beyond me. It's a game and there's only 16 a year. 

Yes, it's a game, but there's a lot of things about that game that not revealing anything about Luck's injury affects. For me, it affects whether I order Sunday ticket for the first time as I live in Colorado. For people living in Indiana, it affects whether they want to go to games or buy tickets (and if they bought tickets already, they have no idea if Luck is playing and whether they should sell their tickets possibly or still go. The more time it takes, the less time they have to make a decision). Those 6 games, if we go 2-4 or 1-5 with Tolzien, will ruin any chance we have of making the playing most likely when Luck does come back. In essence, it's a wasted year. Not to mention all the fans have less fun without Luck playing. Some simple information and honesty about Luck's injury would be nice.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, it's a game, but there's a lot of things about that game that not revealing anything about Luck's injury affects. For me, it affects whether I order Sunday ticket for the first time as I live in Colorado, for people living in Indiana, it affects whether they want to go to games or buy tickets (and if they bought tickets already, they have no idea if Luck is playing and whether they should sell their tickets possibly or still go. The more time it takes, the less time they have to make a decision). Those 6 games, if we go 2-4 or 1-5 with Tolzien, will ruin any chance we have of making the playing most likely when Luck does come back. In essence, it's a wasted year. Not to mention all the fans have less fun without Luck playing. Some simple information and honesty about Luck's injury would be nice.

Not for me I have been a fan since 84(if not before), long before Luck and will be long after

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I see your point but respectfully, I disagree. 

And just for fun (and not any disrespect) the "Indianapolis Mannings" ars now the "Indianapolis Lucks'" just as the Forty Montanas became the Forty Youngs and the Green Bay Favres became the Green Bay Rogers.

All those teams were their before those stars you mentioned and will be their after

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not for me I have been a fan since 84(if not before), long before Luck and will be long after

That's a long time, 33 years. I was born in 87, so I have had it spoiled since 98. It's mostly the principle of the situation for me. I feel like I don't deserve to be treated like a doormat and taken for granted. I just want to hear an update so I know what to expect, that's all. I feel I deserve that much.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is the upside to the situation, we get to see the draft picks and the other young players develop. Hopefully we hit big on a player or two (particularly a defensively player).

Absolutely, eventually we'll have our new Mathis or Freeney. Hopefully we'll be surprised by some of the young guys.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most definitely will watch, want to see what the Defense is like, how Hooker plays, what Mack is about and I love my Colts no matter what. Colts/Cubs/Pacers till I die baby! Lets say he misses 6 games but we manage to go 3-3 and then he comes back, look out then.

I love the Colts too, just not in love with how they appreciate us. I will probably end up watching because I can't not do it, but I'm upset at Irsay and Ballard right now for not keeping us in the loop.

I love the Colts too, just not in love with how they appreciate us. I will probably end up watching because I can't not do it, but I'm upset at Irsay and Ballard right now for not keeping us in the loop.

There is nothing that says Andrew will miss that much time yet. Maybe he will but remember he is only 27 and has another decade of play ahead of him. He will get back to 100%. Tolzien isn't any good but if Andrew misses that will be Chuck's chance to really Coach and our Defense to carry us for a few games.

This is another bizarre post......

1.   If Luck is on the PUP list, of course I'll watch the first 6 games.    I want to see the team that Luck will eventually take over and run.     Lots and lots of new faces everywhere to learn about.    The only way to truly do this is to watch the team with your own eyes.     I can't imagine a true fan NOT watching the games.

2.   As to the Irsay, Ballard, Pagano and the rest of the coaches.....    none of them are disrespecting the fans or spitting in their face.     Pure hogwash.     All they're doing is what the 31 other teams do when they have to.   They keep things close to the vest.    And here's why.....

Suppose everyone inside the organization knows right now that Luck will be on the Pup list.    Why tell our opponents that now,  a month before they have to make it public?     Why would you tell Wade Phillips NOW that he doesn't have to worry about Andrew Luck and can start preparing for Scott Tolzein right now?     That's not how NFL teams do business.

I disagree with my friend @OldUncleMark who said in another thread that Ballard has no reason to lie about Luck.     I think it's 180 degrees the opposite.     He has every reason to not tell the truth.     Because NFL teams don't do that unless (A)  they absolutely have to, or (B) there's no strategic advantage for coming clean.     But that's rarely the case.    This is how all NFL teams operate,  and not just the Colts.    We're not doing anything that the other teams don't also do.     Stop taking it personally.     They're doing what they're doing to try and help their own team.   

If teams think it will help them win,  or keep fans coming to the stadium,  they will do what they have to do to achieve that.      That's the way of the world in the NFL.

There is nothing that says Andrew will miss that much time yet. Maybe he will but remember he is only 27 and has another decade of play ahead of him. He will get back to 100%. Tolzien isn't any good but if Andrew misses that will be Chuck's chance to really Coach and our Defense to carry us for a few games.

That's true. The pessimist and paranoia in me just thinks that no news means they know something about Luck and are hiding it so they sell out all the games and get people to watch. If they said he wasn't playing, they may think their bottom line would go some. It may a little, but I think people would still watch if they were told the truth or given updates every now and then. I have to watch the preseason and see our guys play wondering if we'll have Luck a few days before the season starts or if he'll go on the PUP list.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is another bizarre post......

1.   If Luck is on the PUP list, of course I'll watch the first 6 games.    I want to see the team that Luck will eventually take over and run.     Lots and lots of new faces everywhere to learn about.    The only way to truly do this is to watch the team with your own eyes.     I can't imagine a true fan NOT watching the games.

2.   As to the Irsay, Ballard, Pagano and the rest of the coaches.....    none of them are disrespecting the fans or spitting in their face.     Pure hogwash.     All they're doing is what the 31 other teams do when they have to.   They keep things close to the vest.    And here's why.....

Suppose everyone inside the organization knows right now that Luck will be on the Pup list.    Why tell our opponents that now,  a month before they have to make it public?     Why would you tell Wade Phillips NOW that he doesn't have to worry about Andrew Luck and can start preparing for Scott Tolzein right now?     That's not how NFL teams do business.

I disagree with my friend @OdlUncleMark who said in another thread that Ballard has no reason to lie about Luck.     I think it's 180 degrees the opposite.     He has every reason to not tell the truth.     Because NFL teams don't do that unless (A)  they absolutely have to, or (B) there's no strategic advantage for coming clean.     But that's rarely the case.    This is how all NFL teams operate,  and not just the Colts.    We're not doing anything that the other teams don't also do.     Stop taking it personally.     They're doing what they're doing to try and help their own team.   

If teams think it will help them win,  or keep fans coming to the stadium,  they will do what they have to do to achieve that.      That's the way of the world in the NFL.

I grew up in a world where honesty is the best policy. If you do something to hurt me, I could probably forgive you as long as you were honest about it. The worst thing something can do to me is lie to my face. I'm sorry, NCF, I take that personally, especially when I build my whole winter around something, and I'm almost being held hostage because of a strategic decision. Wade Phillps is going to prepare for BOTH Andrew Luck and Scott Tolzien. He's not stupid. He knows there's a possibility of both starting week 1. This will backfire on Irsay for not saying anything if he waits til the last second to announce that Luck is on the PUP list. Lots of fans won't watch, some fans will sell their tickets to rival teams or just not go. It won't affect most people on this site, but it will affect the larger part of casuals, and a few hardcores who will just sleep in, go to church, or go hang out with friends that day instead.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If I had wanted to stop being a Colts fan because of a player I had multiple opportunities to do so with guys I Knew and didn't so why would I with Luck

I don't want to stop being a Colts fan. I just want an injury update every now and then so I know what to expect before the end of the preseason. I don't like to do everything at the last second. I would have to order Sunday Ticket, and plan appointments, seeing family, friends, and other things around that time. I just want to be told the truth, there's no advantage to hiding it, because teams will prepare for both QBs anyway.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I grew up in a world where honesty is the best policy. If you do something to hurt me, I could probably forgive you as long as you were honest about it. The worst thing something can do to me is lie to my face. I'm sorry, NCF, I take that personally, especially when I build my whole winter around something, and I'm almost being held hostage because of a strategic decision. Wade Phillps is going to prepare for BOTH Andrew Luck and Scott Tolzien. He's not stupid. He knows there's a possibility of both starting week 1. This will backfire on Irsay for not saying anything if he waits til the last second to announce that Luck is on the PUP list. Lots of fans won't watch, some fans will sell their tickets to rival teams or just not go. It won't affect most people on this site, but it will affect the larger part of casuals, and a few hardcores who will just sleep in, go to church, or go hang out with friends that day instead.

Maybe it is because I grew up around HS sports but I will always be a fan of a team not players

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I will still watch. I think the maddest I have ever been was when Polian pulled the plug on the undefeated season in 2009. I was so mad I told my friends and my mom I will never watch another game again on that Sunday, that that move was pure nonsense. By Friday I was semi-ok, still not really over it 100% (even today I am not) but by that Friday I was ready to go ahead and watch.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Maybe it is because I grew up around HS sports but I will always be a fan of a team not players

Well, the QB is the most important individual player of a team, especially one like Luck. When he falls, the rest of the pyramid crumbles. Tolzien better play like Warner did when he took over, or we'll be out before Luck enters. I'd be much more inclined to watch if we were told about Luck's status. That's the whole point of this thread. Irsay won't tell us, and he expects us to fall in line. I don't like that.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't want to stop being a Colts fan. I just want an injury update every now and then so I know what to expect before the end of the preseason. I don't like to do everything at the last second. I would have to order Sunday Ticket, and plan appointments, seeing family, friends, and other things around that time. I just want to be told the truth, there's no advantage to hiding it, because teams will prepare for both QBs anyway.

Starting next week it will be Princeton football on Friday, NCAA(Kentucky) on Saturday, and NFL(Colts, Chiefs, et. al) on Sunday

I will still watch. I think the maddest I have ever been was when Polian pulled the plug on the undefeated season in 2009. I was so mad I told my friends and my mom I will never watch another game again on that Sunday, that that move was pure nonsense. By Friday I was semi-ok, still not really over it 100% (even today I am not) but by that Friday I was ready to go ahead and watch.

That may still happen to me, it's just really frustrating. I think of Tolzien and instantly think "disaster". I just want to know what to prepare for. Once I know, I'll watch, but I hate surprises like this.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I felt the same way when the Colts let fellow Tri-Stater Ken Dilger go

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, the QB is the most important individual player of a team, especially one like Luck. When he falls, the rest of the pyramid crumbles. Tolzien better play like Warner did when he took over, or we'll be out before Luck enters. I'd be much more inclined to watch if we were told about Luck's status. That's the whole point of this thread. Irsay won't tell us, and he expects us to fall in line. I don't like that.

You would have hated to be in my shoes then during my time as a HS coach 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The title says it all. I know I will gain some heat for this, but I don't care. I want to watch this season real bad, and I'm extremely excited about all the new players on the team (from the draft and FA's), the thing that upsets me is that Luck, the Coaches, the GM, and the Owner think so little of the fans, and think they so dumb, that they do not deserve an update on Luck's timetable to return and just take it for granted that we'll still watch and buy tickets. I'm a loyal Colts fan, and wouldn't mind weathering the storm without Luck as one because injuries can happen and you have to take the good with the bad, but nobody on the team can even tell us when he is returning, if he is going on the PUP list, or any sort of info that isn't "speculation" from the media. Irsay seems to be taking the fans for granted and figures they'll just show up anyway because they are mindless sheep who will buy whatever he tells them and come to games and watch them no matter what. Every other player that is relevant with an injury on every team has some sort of timetable, whether the injury is short or long. The only one that doesn't is Luck. It's a spit in the face to every fan that wants to be excited about the season, and can't now because of a simple lack of information.

So my question is, are you going to watch the first six games? I don't know if I will yet, because I don't feel like being someone that Irsay and the rest of the higher ups feels is an inferior being that doesn't deserve some simple info. Tear me up if you want, I don't care, but at least give a solid response either way. I think we should be treated with a decent amount of respect as fans.

I think your "I'm not watching games to teach Irsay a lesson" stance is a little extreme and ultimately futile.

Not watching a football game just to make a point doesn't even register on my radar.  It's like a hunger strike.  Does not compute.

Personally, I love the game of football more than I love the Colts, so I'm going to watch, regardless.  I'll watch two winless high school teams play just because I like watching football.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

You would have hated to be in my shoes then during my time as a HS coach 

Probably, I don't think I'd be stable enough to be a high school coach. I'd be too competitive, then too emotional if there were simple mistakes that cost the team a game. I'm way too competitive that I usually only involve myself with individual competition, where I don't have to rely on anyone else.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think your "I'm not watching games to teach Irsay a lesson" stance is a little extreme and ultimately futile.

Not watching a football game just to make a point doesn't even register on my radar.  It's like a hunger strike.  Does not compute.

Personally, I love the game of football more than I love the Colts, so I'm going to watch, regardless.  I'll watch two winless teams play just because I like watching football.

I won't do anything alone, nor am I doing it to "teach Irsay a lesson", but remember that a lot of people turned off the TV whenever Kaepernick knelt for the national anthem. If the timing is wrong on this (Irsay announces Luck hits the PUP list suddenly after the final preseason game), a lot of casuals won't watch and some people will not go to the games or just give them to the fans of the opponents. There will definitely be lower ratings on the Colts first 6 games, and probably less of a crowd advantage as well in the stadium during home games in that stretch.

Probably, I don't think I'd be stable enough to be a high school coach. I'd be too competitive, then too emotional if there were simple mistakes that cost the team a game. I'm way too competitive that I usually only involve myself with individual competition, where I don't have to rely on anyone else.

That was never a problem, the problem was not knowing what kids were available for my J. V. Squad