Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What single play would you say defined the 2016 Colts season?

colt18

Almost too many to choose.

Lions - 1st play after the Colts took the lead.  Big gain on a short pass.

Denver - Colts have a chance at the end and decide to single block Von Miller with a TE.  

Jacksonville - London game.  The failed 4th and 1 at the end still pisses me off

Houston - the freaking Lamar Miller TD in which seemingly the entire team missed a tackle.

Those are just some that leap to mind from the first half of the season

The last game of the season defined things for me. The fact that we were that excited to win a meaningless game, after having lost to Houston, made me really hate where we were headed. And then Grigson got fired. Pretty much have a 180 feeling. Even if we don't make the playoffs it will be a good year. 

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The last game of the season defined things for me. The fact that we were that excited to win a meaningless game, after having lost to Houston, made me really hate where we were headed. And then Grigson got fired. Pretty much have a 180 feeling. Even if we don't make the playoffs it will be a good year. 

i enjoyed that game, especially since it was against a rival

i dont think the draft position even mattered, we still probably would have taken hooker due to how the board panned out

2 hours ago, IinD said:

How we can have the GB game Colts and the two Hou loss Colts in the same season was absolutely annoying, terrible, _________(fill in blank).

It was another schizophrenic Colts team.

yeah I can't believe we beat GB and lost to DET and HOU (2x) smh

we literally played down to our opponents lmao

9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Winning a meaningless less game offended you but if we don't make the playoffs its still a good year?.

You've got to see the contradiction there, don't you?

48 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Winning a meaningless less game offended you but if we don't make the playoffs its still a good year?.

You've got to see the contradiction there, don't you?

It wasn't about the win or the loss, it was about the sense of urgency and the way we handled the game and the win. As if, it was the SB of the season. That is all mindset to me, and I didn't like seeing the mindset the colts had in the end of that game. I would have liked to see that mindset given during the game vs Houston that we threw into the trash can. 

The end of the last game was the defining moment for me. 

18 hours ago, colt18 said:

my vote goes to

When you say "defined" the season, our season was 8-8. Therefore, by definition, your question can be answered by any mediocre play. If you had said which play was great, then that will most likely deserve a great play. But a defining play.......

47 minutes ago, ColtStrong said:

When you say "defined" the season, our season was 8-8. Therefore, by definition, your question can be answered by any mediocre play. If you had said which play was great, then that will most likely deserve a great play. But a defining play.......

Well, Darius Butler had a clear pick 6 but hurt his hammy trying to actually run the pick back.

I feel like we had a clear division win but hurt ourselves in nearly every damn divisional game

38 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Well, Darius Butler had a clear pick 6 but hurt his hammy trying to actually run the pick back.

I feel like we had a clear division win but hurt ourselves in nearly every damn divisional game

Yeah, you're right. I thought the thread was about great plays.... sorry

The thing about these recent 8-8 seasons is that they've been super inconsistent. An average record masked behind some ridiculous highs and ridiculous lows. 

Highs like beating Green Bay, and smacking Minnesota (two good teams, both on the road) with lows like blowing the Sunday nighter at Houston and losing to a 3 win Jags team.

Heck even in 2015 it was like that, what with them beating Atlanta, Houston and Tampa with backup QBs, mixed in with the awful punt play game against NE (which to be frank, the colts played really well most of that game and even got snubbed on a bad call by the ref on an onside kick, but that call spoiled like the rest of the season haha).

18 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

It wasn't about the win or the loss, it was about the sense of urgency and the way we handled the game and the win. As if, it was the SB of the season. That is all mindset to me, and I didn't like seeing the mindset the colts had in the end of that game. I would have liked to see that mindset given during the game vs Houston that we threw into the trash can. 

The end of the last game was the defining moment for me. 

Nanny;

I dont want to see my team not celebrate a win. I think that's a big 'red flag' about team unity

But I cant read anybody's mindset

Hey, we lost a big lead at Houston. It was bad.    Pivotal game of the season.

The second loss to Houston was the PIVOTAL point in the season. With the division on the line, and real playoff pressure applied, the O-line folded into disarray and dysfunction, and the defense was systematically exposed as a discombobulated dumpster fire.

5 minutes ago, Douzer said:

The second loss to Houston was the PIVOTAL point in the season. With the division on the line, and real playoff pressure applied, the O-line folded into disarray and dysfunction, and the defense was systematically exposed as a discombobulated dumpster fire.

Yeah I chose the 1st loss to them because of losing that lead but losing at home to them ended the season.

As much as I hated not making the playoffs, last year turned out to be a blessing in disguise: Grigson got fired, the Colts didn't have a loosing season, the over-the-hill gang is gone and things are turning around. Had we made the playoffs, it's possible none of that happens (other than not having a loosing season). 

The pass that bounced off of Dwayne Allen's hand really sticks out in my mind. Losing that game in the fashion they did was when bells and whistles went off in my mind. (Jags/London)

I'd like to fire Grigson again for the state of things. How he manage to glue together the Browns with the QB position shored up, I'll never know..

The one that resulted in this.  

yyhd4fxe6qay.gif

Sneak by the Jags to make it to 8-8 and be this happy about it just kind of encapsulates the triviality of the 2016 season.  We knew we weren't contenders going into the season because the defense was just bad and the blocking scheme was beyond the offensive line's capability since it very a new line going into the season.  They proved it week in and week out, blowing leads and Luck getting crushed so this celebration was just the proverbial icing on teh cake.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:55 AM, TKnight24 said:

The fake punt against New England 

Play was so bad it carried over to the next season 

:scorebad:

I think if you're going to go with a 2016 play (or maybe that was 2015?), you have to also consider the Dwayne Allen eye poke from Aqib Talib.  That was just as "wth" as the botched play and summarized the Colts 2016 - runnin blind and directionless for 60 minutes a week.

My moment occurred during the last game of the season...when Luck had to lead a game winning drive to beat the hapless Jacksonville Jaguars (at LOS by the way) and then ran around the field pumping his fist and celebrating like the Colts had just won the friggin Super Bowl or something.  In reality, we had just secured our second consecutive 8-8 season without a playoff berth.  Microcosm moment for how far this franchise had fallen under Grigson & Pagano.. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

My moment occurred during the last game of the season...when Luck had to lead a game winning drive to beat the hapless Jacksonville Jaguars (at LOS by the way) and then ran around the field pumping his fist and celebrating like the Colts had just won the friggin Super Bowl or something.  In reality, we had just secured our second consecutive 8-8 season without a playoff berth.  Microcosm moment for how far this franchise had fallen under Grigson & Pagano.. 

Yeah that was funny but still glad we didn't have a losing season and get swept by that lousy team. We still got Hooker in the Draft too so that win didn't hurt us.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that was funny but still glad we didn't have a losing a season and get swept by that lousy team. We still got Hooker in the Draft too so that win didn't hurt us.

The fact that we ended up with Hooker makes me smile  now but at the time I was pretty livid.  I was like we screwed up our draft spot for a meaningless "W" and then Luck had the nerve to be overly excited about it!  :lol:

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

The fact that we ended up with Hooker makes me smile  now but at the time I was pretty livid.  I was like we screwed up our draft spot for a meaningless "W" and then Luck had the nerve to be overly excited about it!  :lol:

Andrew was probably just happy we won because it was the stinky Jags and he knew our season was over anyway.