Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MACK

NDcolt

Can't help but get excited hearing all the noise on Mack & here's why.   Watching tape immediately had me screaming Shady McCoy for not only the burst but all the other intangibles.  Little skeptical at first due to small school & "There's no way he can do that at the next level" negativity but here we are in wk one of Camp & eyes are being popped all around!  Pump the breaks, "Let's see it during game action" all say silently but this is exactly what I was hoping to hear from Day 1, ENCOURAGING.  Do we have the real slim Shady?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like comparing players (that haven't played) to other players.  It usually ends up in a let down.  My opinion is that we have Mack to be developed and the next piece will come in 2018 draft.... that is if there is one of value at the time of our pick.  

12 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I don't like comparing players (that haven't played) to other players.  It usually ends up in a let down.  My opinion is that we have Mack to be developed and the next piece will come in 2018 draft.... that is if there is one of value at the time of our pick.  

Understood but for one min take a leap into faith & tell me what you see from Mack?  Explosive, Speed, Vision, Playmaker right?  But at this level?  Isn't it encouraging to at least hear what Most colts fans were envisioning in wk one of camp instead of Mack struggling to display Explosive, Speed etc.....

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

I agree about comparing. Best case scenario: I want Mack to be Mack. Hopefully some day people will compare other players to him. 

3 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

And people wanted Cook at 15.

We grabbed someone who could very well turn out to be better than Cook, plus we were able to use our first three draft choices on the defense.

That's a win.

If Andrew does miss a week or 2 hopefully he comes up big and the running game comes through. If he is Good that will also make Gore more productive. They can split the carries.

Josh Robinson, Mississippi State, was drafted & played well in preseason. He didn't pan out (although I really wanted him to). I'm happy that Mack is doing well in TC and hopefully he is just as good in preseason, But... let's see how he plays in the Reg Season against 1st string defense and go from there. I hope he is McCoy 2.0!

7 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

We grabbed someone who could very well turn out to be better than Cook, plus we were able to use our first three draft choices on the defense.

That's a win.

What reason do we have to think he will be better than Cook?

4 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Hasn't played a down yet. Let's everybody calm down.

So what you're saying is when I saw Freeney, Harper, Bethea, and others impress me in camp; I should have not been impressed?

Good thing you're not the boss of me. :) 

I don't get excited about camp fodder. 

I have seen Mack live with my own eyes, and he is passing the eye test just like the others I have listed above.

I put his chances of being successful at a much higher percent than any other drafted or non-drafted rookie Colts running back since Addai. 

9 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

That's a win.

Honestly he is about as explosive as cook, but cook is more elusive. Not to mention cook will actually start so their numbers wont be comparable.

10 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

It's good to see the guys do well at camp. I try not to get super excited about it. They either shine in games or they don't. I'll definitely be interested in watching Mack during preseason. I'm sure he gets plenty of carries.

Actually if he does well they will prob sit him til reg season. The only way he gets lots of carries is if he does bad.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

So what you're saying is when I saw Freeney, Harper, Bethea, and others impress me in camp; I should have not been impressed?

Good thing you're not the boss of me. :) 

I don't get excited about camp fodder. 

I have seen Mack live with my own eyes, and he is passing the eye test just like the others I have listed above.

I put his chances of being successful at a much higher percent than any other drafted or non-drafted rookie Colts running back since Addai. 

I'm not saying we can't say he looks good. College is a different game to the pros. Everyone who got drafted must have looked pretty good to be drafted. 

I'm not hating on him or anyone in the forum. But let's see how he does at least in preseason before we start crowning him the future of the Colts backfield eh?

I think he looks good and camp reports are encouraging. I'd probably say Vick Ballard was the best prospect since Addai. He could have been a legit RB in the league if he stayed healthy.

2 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm not saying we can't say he looks good. College is a different game to the pros. Everyone who got drafted must have looked pretty good to be drafted. 

I'm not hating on him or anyone in the forum. But let's see how he does at least in preseason before we start crowning him the future of the Colts backfield eh?

I think he looks good and camp reports are encouraging. I'd probably say Vick Ballard was the best prospect since Addai. He could have been a legit RB in the league if he stayed healthy.

Did I crown Mack? I didn't. 

I have been been going to training camps since the turn of the century. I have watched every draft since the 80s. I am very well educated in the process.

I have seen people get excited about players who did not even make the 53. I have also seen the real deals shine in the process. 

Mack has impressed me more than Ballard did, and I liked Ballard. Injuries can cut any players career short. 

I don't go to bat for just any player. I haven't for Robinson or Furgeson. There is good reason to pound the table for Mack. He has all the tools to become an every down back. 

Nothing you or I write should ever stop anyone from being excited about a Colts player.

You made a statement about players that is most often true. You are choosing to side with the odds instead of watching the player. I believe you're likely on the wrong side of this one. You can't always play it safe and hide behind most likely scenarios. Think for yourself, and let your eyes tell you the story. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have been been going to training camps since the turn of the century. I have watched every draft since the 80s. I am very well educated in the process.

I have seen people get excited about players who did not even make the 53. I have also seen the real deals shine in the process. 

Mack has impressed me more than Ballard did, and I liked Ballard. Injuries can cut any players career short. 

I don't go to bat for just any player. I haven't for Robinson or Furgeson. There is good reason to pound the table for Mack. He has all the tools to become an every down back. 

Nothing you or I write should ever stop anyone from being excited about a Colts player.

You made a statement about players that is most often true. You are choosing to side with the odds instead of watching the player. I believe you're likely on the wrong side of this one. You can't always play it safe and hide behind most likely scenarios. Think for yourself, and let your eyes tell you the story. 

Good grief. I'm not saying you did crown him! There were a few posts above my original posts that I though were a little over-zealous. And I just put up a post temper things. Remind people that people often look great in camp and don't workout in game action. Griff Whalen was our camp MVP like 3 years runnin and now is roster bubble material for whoever he's with. It's the nature of camp.

He looks pretty good, I'll openly admit that. Runs well and the stuff I'm hearing out of camp is encouraging, but that's what camp is. It's drills not a game.

I will get excited about players if they perform well. In my book the first 3 practices of camp doesn't count as performing. If he flashes in preseason then I'll join you on that side of the fence. But for now I'm happy sitting on my nice comfortable fence admiring the view below thank you very much.

Nothing I write matters. It's just my opinion. Was a passing comment that didn't really require a 6 paragraph response in my mind, but whatever you're into.

20 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Sure sounds like you're crowning yourself in this post. 

FWIW, I've seen him with my own eyeballs too... Not that it matters 

14 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Can't help but get excited hearing all the noise on Mack & here's why.   Watching tape immediately had me screaming Shady McCoy for not only the burst but all the other intangibles.  Little skeptical at first due to small school & "There's no way he can do that at the next level" negativity but here we are in wk one of Camp & eyes are being popped all around!  Pump the breaks, "Let's see it during game action" all say silently but this is exactly what I was hoping to hear from Day 1, ENCOURAGING.  Do we have the real slim Shady?

I'll reserve my opinion until i see him in action against live competition.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Actually if he does well they will prob sit him til reg season. The only way he gets lots of carries is if he does bad.

I'm not sure about that... He's a 4th round pick and at the bottom of the depth chart. I bet we see a bunch of him during preseason along with Turbin and Ferguson.

14 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm not sure about that... He's a 4th round pick and at the bottom of the depth chart. I bet we see a bunch of him during preseason along with Turbin and Ferguson.

Mack will see a lot of PT in preseason. He needs to get acclimated to the pro game/Colts offense and the Colts need to get a sense of what they have in him.

30 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I'll reserve my opinion until i see him in action against live competition.

That is prob what majority of this fanbase will do but something about this kid has DeJaVu written all over it in regards to TY.  Small FL school, Speed, Elusiveness, etc...  

I'm excited about Mack just because RB is one of the easiest positions to come into the NFL and be successful right away.  Which is probably why he already looks good.  I'm assuming his job is just naturally easier to learn than Basham having to learn OLB in our scheme.

We'll probably see some growing pains and rookie mistakes from guys like Basham, Hooker and Wilson, simply because the learning curve is steeper for their positions, but I can see Mack just getting better and better.  If Gore and Turbin stay healthy all year, they might have to do everything in their power to keep Mack at #3 on the depth chart.

43 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

He'll get his chance because Gore wont be playing..

would think defenders don't go all out to stop the run in intra squad scrimmages..

....so you don't know about a new RB until he faces the 'bad guys'

Nobody knows but amidst all the negativity surrounding our STAR QB it's nice to get some + news out of Camp, esp about one of many Fav draft pick M&M!  Too many times talent on tape doesn't translate to the Show, we all get that but this kid is passing some pretty good evaluators eye test that been in the game for a while.  Just what this Fan base needed was not only a shot in the arm but just maybe we have another STAR on this "terrible" roster to help even the sides.  Welcome to Larson's Believeitornot!

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Good grief. I'm not saying you did crown him! There were a few posts above my original posts that I though were a little over-zealous. And I just put up a post temper things. Remind people that people often look great in camp and don't workout in game action. Griff Whalen was our camp MVP like 3 years runnin and now is roster bubble material for whoever he's with. It's the nature of camp.

He looks pretty good, I'll openly admit that. Runs well and the stuff I'm hearing out of camp is encouraging, but that's what camp is. It's drills not a game.

I will get excited about players if they perform well. In my book the first 3 practices of camp doesn't count as performing. If he flashes in preseason then I'll join you on that side of the fence. But for now I'm happy sitting on my nice comfortable fence admiring the view below thank you very much.

Nothing I write matters. It's just my opinion. Was a passing comment that didn't really require a 6 paragraph response in my mind, but whatever you're into.

Whalen was a hard worker. He outworked everyone. Mack has natural skills. 

I don't care if you backtrack from your original intent. Doesn't matter to me.