Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Tannehill

PrincetonTiger

They don't need Kaep or any other backup. Matt Moore was killing it last year in his limited play time. He could probably even be a better QB than Tannehill since Tannehill has been a disappointment for most of his career. 

As long as they keep more Moore, they should be fine on offense. 

Cutler wants starting money and Kaepernick wore a Fidel Castro t-shirt- not good in Miami. Tannehill could be back as the injury is not a tear but the knee was in need of surgery last year be it did not happen for some reason. A return this year won't happen until the end of the season if at all.

The Kaep stuff hasn't been as rampant on this forum but I just realized even if they didn't have Moore...Romo, Cutler, the other Moore, and some other guys wouldn't have to be asked twice to come back to work. I'd take them and a few guys who would maybe have to be asked twice over Kaep. 

13 hours ago, Synthetic said:

They don't need Kaep or any other backup. Matt Moore was killing it last year in his limited play time. He could probably even be a better QB than Tannehill since Tannehill has been a disappointment for most of his career. 

As long as they keep more Moore, they should be fine on offense. 

Yeah I am not sure anyone signs Kaep actually?? He went from a SB appearance to a QB that cant get a job now.

6 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Kaepernick + Fidel Castro shirt + Miami where a lot Cubans live = Not good. Not gonna happen. 

Just glad you didn't like go and try and get political or anything. :facepalm:

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am not sure anyone signs Kaep actually?? He went from a SB appearance to a QB that cant get a job now.

I think he thrived under Jim Harbaugh. Also ESPN seems to have this thing where they spend a lot of time talking about "What team could and should use Kaepernick?". It's as if ESPN is begging a team to sign him so they can cover him again this season.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Just got a twitter notification that they are talking to Jay Cutler

Remember Gase was the OC in Chicago 

Wanting Jay Cutler is someone everyone wants, said like nobody EVER.

Oh wait, is Miami serious about this? If so thats dreadful. I know he had some good moments under Gase but still just go with Moore and if need be even sign Kaep to back him up or someone else. Jay Cutler wants to be guaranteed the starting job with starting money.

Matt Moore is already looking good in camp:

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/25800/matt-moore-shines-in-first-day-with-starters-in-training-camp

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

Cutler wants starting money and Kaepernick wore a Fidel Castro t-shirt- not good in Miami. Tannehill could be back as the injury is not a tear but the knee was in need of surgery last year be it did not happen for some reason. A return this year won't happen until the end of the season if at all.

It is funny that I don't hear anybody on TV saying that Cutler was 'blackballed' from the NFL..

Certainly Cut is better than Kap

On 8/4/2017 at 3:07 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Just got a twitter notification that they are talking to Jay Cutler

Remember Gase was the OC in Chicago 

True, but Jay wants starting QB money, and the starting QB job for him to derail his broadcasting career..  He will not accept to be Moore's backup and play @ backup money.  Let's see how bad Gase wants him...

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, but Jay wants starting QB money, and the starting QB job for him to derail his broadcasting career..  He will not accept to be Moore's backup and play @ backup money.  Let's see how bad Gase wants him...

If be is signed,  it won't be as a backup.  Not in the beginning anyway

On 8/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, oldunclemark said:

It is funny that I don't hear anybody on TV saying that Cutler was 'blackballed' from the NFL..

Certainly Cut is better than Kap

Why would anyone think that Cutler is being blackballed? He retired. He was going to be in the booth on Fox. Now, reports are that he has come out of retirement to sign with the Dolphins.

With Kaepernick, he is not retired.  The football people (John Harbaugh and GM Ozzie Newsome) on the Ravens expressed interest in signing him. The owner put a stop to it. John Mara said he would not sign him for that reason. (They signed Geno Smith instead :scratch:.) What could be the reason?

Folks are either playing dumb or in denial if they believe that his protest/kneeling has nothing to do with why he is not signed. He is not great but so are many other QBs who are currently on NFL rosters.

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

10 Mil for 1 year

That's a good deal for Gase / Dolphins.  Less than typical starter money, just above backup money.

Last time Gase / Cutler were together in 2015, Jay had 21 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a career-best 92.3 passer rating. Tolzein comes nowhere close to those numbers, not even in the same area code. He is even an order of magnitude down from Matt Moore as well.

I'm sure Jay gets the starter job, if, he knuckle down and gets in football shape in short order.

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why would anyone think that Cutler is being blackballed? He retired. He was going to be in the booth on Fox. Now, reports are that he has come out of retirement to sign with the Dolphins.

With Kaepernick, he is not retired.  The football people (John Harbaugh and GM Ozzie Newsome) on the Ravens expressed interest in signing him. The owner put a stop to it. John Mara said he would not sign him for that reason. (They signed Geno Smith instead :scratch:.) What could be the reason?

Folks are either playing dumb or in denial if they believe that his protest/kneeling has nothing to do with why he is not signed. He is not great but so are many other QBs who are currently on NFL rosters.

NFL..I was making a point

Before Jay said he is retired (he never officially retired to the league, neither has Romo)

Cutler tried to find work in a lot of places and nobody wanted him....because of his rep as a guy who doesn't care and isn't good with teammates..

He wasnt blackballed. Teams just didn't want him. Just like Kap

You may not have seen Kaps game in Chicago last November. Didntg complete a pass until late in the 3rd quarter.  Worst performance by an NFL QB I have ever seen and I've watched Bears football

He isn't better than most NFL backups and he wants to start.  Kap has always had troubles as a conventional, drop back QB.  He was in the Super Bowl 4 years ago but he's not that guy anymore

And he wants a shot at starting.  That's why he's not being signed

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NFL..I was making a point

Before Jay said he is retired (he never officially retired to the league, neither has Romo)

Cutler tried to find work in a lot of places and nobody wanted him....because of his rep as a guy who doesn't care and isn't good with teammates..

He wasnt blackballed. Teams just didn't want him. Just like Kap

You may not have seen Kaps game in Chicago last November. Didntg complete a pass until late in the 3rd quarter.  Worst performance by an NFL QB I have ever seen and I've watched Bears football

He isn't better than most NFL backups and he wants to start.  Kap has always had troubles as a conventional, drop back QB.  He was in the Super Bowl 4 years ago but he's not that guy anymore

And he wants a shot at starting.  That's why he's not being signed

No, I did not see the game but one game does not make a player. Why not look at his season stats? He is better than a lot of backups and perhaps some starters too. I don't like his game; so I would not want him. But to say that his protest does not have anything to do with his being unemployed in the NFL is absurd. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No, I did not see the game but one game does not make a player. Why not look at his season stats? Come on, he is better than a lot of backups and perhaps some starters too. I don't like his game; so I would not want him. But to say that his protest does not have anything to do with his being unemployed in the NFL is a lie. 

I feel it does.  but not to many coaches / Teams.  Kaep is an owners decision.  We already heard rumblings about the possibility one owner nixed the idea of getting him.  Whether it is real or not, it is not beyond logical reasoning to think owners care just as much about their 'Brand' and peoples perception of it as much as wins.

Forbes once listed 5 reasons NFL viewership was down.  At #3 on the list-

"The Kaepernick Protest Reaction. Yahoo Sports and YouGuv surveyed self-identified fans. 29% said they were watching less football. 40% identified the national anthem protests started by QB Colin Kaepernick. The great majority of media pundits and players supported Kaepernick. I supported the absolute right of athletes to express themselves on political and social issues, but feared the stadium was not the right venue, lest it turn into the political equivalent of a campus political zone. It is clear that a protest involving the flag at a stadium had a large negative impact on fans looking for sports as a respite from outside problems."

It's not blackballing, it's who sees him as a 'good fit' for a club? Schematically for coaches and Branding for owners?

Just now, NFLfan said:

No, I did not see the game but one game does not make a player. Why not look at his season stats? Come on, he is better than a lot of backups and perhaps some starters too. I don't like his game; so I would not want him. But to say that his protest does not have anything to do with his being unemployed in the NFL is a lie. 

You said it right there. I believe.

You (and I) don't like his game

You (and I) would not want him.

If you and I dont like his game and wouldnt sign him, but someone in the NFL should sign him on stats he compiled last year on a losing team.?   I just don't think he's worth a contract., right now.

Remember, they tried to trade him before he became an activist last season and he didnt agree to any deal.

Not enough money. Elway wanted him/  But he regressed last year obviously.

Maybe nobody saw the Bears-SF game late last year...but he was not NFL caliber that day

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

His talent doesn't overcome the protest.  If he was great,  he would have a job.  Owners want butts in seats.  

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His talent doesn't overcome the protest.  If he was great,  he would have a job.  Owners want butts in seats.  

That is what makes the most sense. And I get that. But to play Devil's Advocate, you have marginal players who have been involved in domestic incidents, DUIs and other criminal activity and they have jobs in the NFL. 

I was responding to Uncle Mark's comment equating Cutler's situation to Kaepernick's. The circumstances were completely different. Now, if he compared it to RG3, then I would not have replied.

42 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You said it right there. I believe.

You (and I) don't like his game

You (and I) would not want him.

If you and I dont like his game and wouldnt sign him, but someone in the NFL should sign him on stats he compiled last year on a losing team.?   I just don't think he's worth a contract., right now.

Remember, they tried to trade him before he became an activist last season and he didnt agree to any deal.

Not enough money. Elway wanted him/  But he regressed last year obviously.

Maybe nobody saw the Bears-SF game late last year...but he was not NFL caliber that day.

But you have to field a team. I said I don't like his game but I also don't like that of many QBs, including Case Keenum who is the backup QB on my team. While I don't like Keenum's game, my team needed a backup player.  

Whatever... I am arguing something that most don't want to admit to be true. Maybe he is not being "blackballed" but he is not being signed because of the protest. Jvan admitted just that when he wrote that Kaepernick is just not good enough to overcome the backlash related to the protest. Now that is a true statement. 

44 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I feel it does.  but not to many coaches / Teams.  Kaep is an owners decision.  We already heard rumblings about the possibility one owner nixed the idea of getting him.  Whether it is real or not, it is not beyond logical reasoning to think owners care just as much about their 'Brand' and peoples perception of it as much as wins.

Forbes once listed 5 reasons NFL viewership was down.  At #3 on the list-

"The Kaepernick Protest Reaction. Yahoo Sports and YouGuv surveyed self-identified fans. 29% said they were watching less football. 40% identified the national anthem protests started by QB Colin Kaepernick. The great majority of media pundits and players supported Kaepernick. I supported the absolute right of athletes to express themselves on political and social issues, but feared the stadium was not the right venue, lest it turn into the political equivalent of a campus political zone. It is clear that a protest involving the flag at a stadium had a large negative impact on fans looking for sports as a respite from outside problems."

It's not blackballing, it's who sees him as a 'good fit' for a club? Schematically for coaches and Branding for owners?

I wonder what the top two reasons were. I think viewership was down primarily because of the Election. 

Perhaps "blackballed" is not the word, but when a head coach (John Harbaugh) and GM (Newsome) who are considered among the best in the NFL both want to sign a player for football reasons and their owner nixes it, it is clear that there are non-football reasons for not signing Kaepernick. Jvan said it right.

(Now, I don't think the protest has anything to do with Cutler being signed over Kaepernick. Cutler is a better fit for the Dolphins.)

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But you have to field a team. I said I don't like his game but I also don't like that of many QBs, including Case Keenum who is the backup QB on my team. While I don't like Keenum's game, my team needed a backup player.  

Whatever... I am arguing something that most don't want to admit to be true. Maybe he is not being "blackballed" but he is not being signed because of the protest. Jvan admitted just that when he wrote that Kaepernick is just not good enough to overcome the backlash related to the protest. Now that is a true statement. 

..and a lot of guys have talent but just aren't good enough.

.....I just think Colin isn't cut out to be a backup. He's just not a conventional QB.

He's not young.anymore and he hasn't played well recently.

There is a sense of entitlement here.......

...would anyone be calling for him to play if he'd never protested...?

Guys Like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vince Young, RG3, all have had success but are now out. No one campaigns for them to get another chance based on what they did in the past and no one should.

Does Colin Kaeprenick deserve an NFL job even if no team really wants him.

See what I mean? Where does the entitlement come from?

Edited by oldunclemark

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

..and a lot of guys have talent but just aren't good enough.

.....I just think Colin isn't cut out to be a backup. He's just not a conventional QB.

He's not young.anymore and he hasn't played well recently.

There is a sense of entitlement here.......

...would anyone be calling for him to play if he'd never protested...?

Guys Like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vince Young, RG3, all have had success but are now out

Does Colin Kaeprenick deserve an NFL job even if no team really wants him.

See what I mean? Where does the entitlement come from?

Lol. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a backup for the Bucs. Vince Young has been out for a few years. RG3 is the only one that compares to that but I noted that a couple of posts earlier.

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a backup for the Bucs. Vince Young has been out for a few years. RG3 is the only one that compares to that but I noted that a couple of posts earlier.

Young has been out a few years even though he has physical ability better than some backups.

The Baltimore owner didnt reject Colin. He said he didnt. I dont know any better

We love to turn a coincidence into a conspiracy.  It makes us feel good. if there's a bad guy

Colin Kaepernick isn't very good anymore.  We all said that before he became an activist.

He didn't deserve a starting job in the NFL last year (he lost the job) and he doesnt fit as a backup anywhere. And it fair.

49er fans thought it was unfair to them to have to watch him play

Edited by oldunclemark

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Young has been out a few years even though he has physical ability better than some backups.

The Baltimore owner didnt reject Colin. He said he didnt. I dont know any better

We love to turn a coincidence into a conspiracy.  It makes us feel good. if there's a bad guy

Colin Kaepernick isn't very good anymore.  We all said that before he became an activist.

He didn't deserve a starting job in the NFL last year (he lost the job) and he doesnt fit as a backup anywhere. And it fair.

49er fans thought it was unfair to them to have to watch him play

Ok. Believe what you will. But I will leave you with this. He was the 17th rated QB last year. He had 16 TD and 4 INT (with no weapons). He had a 90.7 QB rating (Gabbert had a 68.4 QB rating.) 

Btw, you seem to like Blaine Gabbert and believe he is better because he started in place of Kaepernick. He started 6 games and had a 56.9 completion percentage, 5 TD and 6 INT to go along with the 68.4 QB rating. I think Kaepernick replaced him and finished the season.

I'm done because you are not arguing with facts.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2016&type=reg&mode=P&conf=&limit=50

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GabbBl00.htm

I don't have anything to say about Blaine Gabbert.

You cherry pick stats...which is fair... ..we all do.

Colin has been a 59% passer for the last 3 seasons..and was last year/

He threw for 190 yards a game.

Wonderful. Bobby Douglass and Jack Concannon called. They want their stats back.

The 49ers lost virtually every game he started last season. (he was 1-11) Those are facts you can argue if you want to.

I like some bad players. I'm a big Jimmy Claussen fan. I like Colin's hair.

So retro. If Colin signs tomorrow with jacksonville and leads them to the Super Bowl, more power to him.

But it hasn't happened. In a league which will sign wife-beaters, alcoholic and drug users, Colin cant get a job. And its fair.

He wasnt very good last year. We all said it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but none of us would want him on our teams, the ones we root for. Still someone should sign him?. Just to be fair?.  Makes little sense to me. The NFL doesn't owe him a job.

there really isn't any argument, is there?

Edited by oldunclemark

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow?  So someone disagrees with you your answer is to tell them to shut up? Nice.

It okay.....I just don't think anyone can make a real argument for Colin Kapernick to be signed to a new contract..

based on his last few games played...and until he became an activist, nobody wanted to.

...its easy to fall back on conspiracy .....and its easy to make the NFL and its owners the bad guys.

........Jay Cutler had a guy (Adam Gase) who thought he could still play effectively,.

Colin does not, as of this hour, have that guy.  He's unsigned and its fair.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow?  So someone disagrees with you your answer is to tell them to shut up? Nice.

No, that would be out of character for me. I was referring to myself. It is a good chance for me to shut up. I was copying something that another poster had written.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes, and beyond.  If adverstisers think vieweship for (some) games will drop for some reason, they have less incentive to buy advertising: " Advertisers rely on television ratings to calculate their willingness to spend on commercials. "  This affects future TV deals...

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I wonder what the top two reasons were. I think viewership was down primarily because of the Election. 

Perhaps "blackballed" is not the word, but when a head coach (John Harbaugh) and GM (Newsome) who are considered among the best in the NFL both want to sign a player for football reasons and their owner nixes it, it is clear that there are non-football reasons for not signing Kaepernick. Jvan said it right.

(Now, I don't think the protest has anything to do with Cutler being signed over Kaepernick. Cutler is a better fit for the Dolphins.)

Found it for you-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2016/10/27/5-reasons-why-nfl-tv-ratings-have-dropped/#603ceb838774

Owners simply do not want to employ anyone that turns off large numbers of fans, and thus lowered viewership (tickets / TV/ etc...) and advertising. That (advertising reduction) could also affect future TV contracts with networks... etc...

That is owners looking out for their 'brand', protecting team value (fiscally), even if technically 'football personnel' on their club determine a guy is 'more talented' than other options. An owner is a businessman that looks at the whole picture.  It's also not that they're afraid to take risks either.  most of these businessmen made their fortunes with hefty amounts of risk taking involved.  They have their reasons, and they are cautiously quiet lest any part of their viewpoints be distorted beyond intent in the public forum. and they rarely (most of them) get in the way of their football guys making decisions.  But at times they do.  And Kaepernick os an ownership decision, even after the technical fit portion (Yay, or Nay) has been determined.

On top of all that, I am certain this was a last straw on the Camels back-

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article117373083.html

But I already pointed out the connection between Gase and Cutler, and Jay's best season ever as a pro QB under him in 2015.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, and beyond.  If adverstisers think vieweship for (some) games will drop for some reason, they have less incentive to buy advertising: " Advertisers rely on television ratings to calculate their willingness to spend on commercials. "  This affects future TV deals...

Found it for you-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2016/10/27/5-reasons-why-nfl-tv-ratings-have-dropped/#603ceb838774

Owners simply do not want to employ anyone that turns off large numbers of fans, and thus lowered viewership (tickets / TV/ etc...) and advertising. That (advertising reduction) could also affect future TV contracts with networks... etc...

That is owners looking out for their 'brand', protecting team value (fiscally), even if technically 'football personnel' on their club determine a guy is 'more talented' than other options. An owner is a businessman that looks at the whole picture.  It's also not that they're afraid to take risks either.  most of these businessmen made their fortunes with hefty amounts of risk taking involved.  They have their reasons, and they are cautiously quiet lest any part of their viewpoints be distorted beyond intent in the public forum. and they rarely (most of them) get in the way of their football guys making decisions.  But at times they do.  And Kaepernick os an ownership decision, even after the technical fit portion (Yay, or Nay) has been determined.

On top of all that, I am certain this was a last straw on the Camels back-

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article117373083.html

But I already pointed out the connection between Gase and Cutler, and Jay's best season ever as a pro QB under him in 2015.

I agree. My point is that is has little to do with his on field performance. 

Re the Dolphins, I wrote that Cutler is a better fit.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

I thought you were done arguing?

No problem...........but this 'the NFL owes Colin a job' thing.......I'm just not hearing it

Did you read what I wrote? That message was for myself. That was my opportunity not to respond to you any further. But then Someone else interpreted it as my telling you to shut up. I don't tell people to "shut up".