Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Guard spots

Chucklez

I'm shocked more people haven't made any real noise about the fact that haeg and mewhort have switched guard spots on the line... I get that they want a vet on each side, but I'm not so sure.

Why mess with the consistency of the left side? The right side was coming along nicely at the end of last season as well, it just seems an unnecessary change to me. If the right side is struggling at the start of the season, stick Doyle on the edge to chip off the snap or have the rb on block assignment.

I just think they are spreading the potential problem rather than solving it.

Feel free to point out why I'm wrong BTW guys... I'd liked to be convinced otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I'm shocked more people haven't made any real noise about the fact that haeg and mewhort have switched guard spots on the line... I get that they want a vet on each side, but I'm not so sure.

Why mess with the consistency of the left side? The right side was coming along nicely at the end of last season as well, it just seems an unnecessary change to me. If the right side is struggling at the start of the season, stick Doyle on the edge to chip off the snap or have the rb on block assignment.

Feel free to point out why I'm wrong BTW guys... I'd liked to be convinced otherwise.

Honestly, I love it. Mewhort and Haeg can both play multiple positions, and I think the move is for the running game just as much as pass protection.  The guard positions are different, yes, but it isn't like a switch from tackle to a guard. It gives us stability on the right side now too. Clark looks stronger, more physical, and a lot quicker with his hands. I'm excited about this year.

except for the fact AL isn't participating in TC 

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Honestly, I love it. Mewhort and Haeg can both play multiple positions, and I think the move is for the running game just as much as pass protection.  The guard positions are different, yes, but it isn't like a switch from tackle to a guard. It gives us stability on the right side now too. Clark looks stronger, more physical, and a lot quicker with his hands. I'm excited about this year.

except for the fact AL isn't participating in TC 

I didn't say they couldn't do it, I'm more worried from a consistency standpoint. It just seems unnecessary to me.

I like the move because Haeg had playing time there last year and he can now build upon that.  Also, giving a young RT the ability to trust the guy right next to him is pretty important so I love this.  I just hope they stay HEALTHY!

In Philbin we trust!

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Why make noise until we see how they do?  Personally, I can see the reasoning behind it.  AC has good strength and good mobility but he's not elite in either category.  But Haeg on the other hand has very good mobility and below average strength, so putting him between two guys with good (AC) and very good (Kelly) strength can help hide that weakness while his mobility will be an asset to both Kelly and AC.  Same thing on the other side, Clark has unbelievable lower body agility and mobility but his play strength is below average.  whereas Mewhort has good mobility and excellent play strength.

Basically what we saw a lot last year was a defensive putting two strong guys over haeg and Clark and locking down that side.  By balancing out the line it should minimize the defense being able to do that.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Haeg had serious strength issues last season.
 Wondering what you know about how much stronger he is now.
 Haeg is clearly far superior as an athlete, so his foot quickness, agility, and speed should be helpful defending

against the blind side rush. Not sure how he will do but i like the experiment.
  Mewhort had a knee issue, so i certainly wonder if his overall strength is back.
  I'm happy to let the coaches figure out what is best.

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

They want Mewhort to be able to help Clark if needed. You have to remember this is Clark's second season he is still gonna have some growing pains. The right side will benefit from having Mewhorts presence. As for the left side Castonzo is solid and doesnt require much help he should be able to hold his own. Its going to essentially balanceout the line. The right side of the line was a mess last season.

I agree its surprising more isnt being made of it since most media looks for every opportunity to show how intelligent they are by saying what a joke the Colt OL is.  I dont care who plays where.  I'm just hoping we have guys capable of "enough" on the roster or can add after cuts if needed perhaps too. 

My gut feels we have a core capable, they just need to grow together a little.  Andrew and the running game will hopefully help them some too.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I agree its surprising more isnt being made of it since most media looks for every opportunity to show how intelligent they are by saying what a joke the Colt OL is.  I dont care who plays where.  I'm just hoping we have guys capable of "enough" on the roster or can add after cuts if needed perhaps too. 

My gut feels we have a core capable, they just need to grow together a little.  Andrew and the running game will hopefully help them some too.

Well, since Ballard is making the decisions now (who knows if he had anything to do with this), it automatically becomes a smart decision you know.  

Ballard will probably get the credit for the improved oline, even though Grigson drafted them all.

And I was wondering about the lack of coverage too.  After this G switch, the training camp "news" seemed to focus more on how Frank Gore feels about his role with the Colts than anything of real substance that most football fans would care about.

I think the switch has less to do with strengths and weaknesses of the two players and much more to do with getting balance on each side of the line.

A veteran paired with an experienced player on either side of Kelly.

AC with Haeg on the left side.      Mewhort with Clark on the right side.

If we had a veteran group on one side,  and a much less experienced group on the other,  sooner or later, a good DC would find a way to eat the younger pair alive.     Experience is everything on the OL.     Now we have it on either side of Kelly.

It's clearly also nice that Haeg likely fits better on the left side,  and Mewhort will likely bit better on the right,  but I view that as a benefit and not the primary driving force behind this.

Trust Ballad and Philbin.     We're now in very, very good hands.       Seriously.

Agree with everyone who said this is a balancing act by the Colts. Last year, the team had three rookies playing next to each other: Clark, Haeg, and Kelly. This puts a solid vet between the two second year players. Makes sense.

You also have to remember that DC's are now lining up their top pass rushers on the right side and not just the left. It makes sense to put a Vet like Mewhort on the right. However, Haeg needs to increase his play strength because Castonzo is good, not great. They'll attack that left side if he's not ready.