Colts Training Camp 8/3/17

TKnight24

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I thought he had so promise to from a few years ago.  I feel like he has regressed for sure.

We all did but he is getting rolled in training camp. Some guys are 

flourishing in this competition atmosphere and some are not.

The UDFA guys are coming in very motivated since they feel like

the new GM will not overlook them for their effort.

10 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

We all did but he is getting rolled in training camp. Some guys are 

flourishing in this competition atmosphere and some are not.

The UDFA guys are coming in very motivated since they feel like

the new GM will not overlook them for their effort.

I love it all!  Only the best should make the roster and nothing is guaranteed.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

How would you feel with Dorsett at KOR?

I'm sure they have practiced him there extensively in the past. He just can't do it better than the other guys apparently. 

4 hours ago, Everyone said:

That's not even possible lol 

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

He played 3 tech last year, Harrison was their NT.

True but the reason he under performed so badly was because he played 3 tech instead of NT... We signed him so we could put him back in his "natural" position and overplay his contract lol 

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Tell that to Dorsett, Green, and Ferguson 

Dorsett definitely improved from year 1 to year 2, TY's the only WR that had more yards than him last year. And we have yet to see Green or Ferguson in their second year, so you're totally speculating with those 2.

4 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I really hope Quincy Wilson gets the starting job sounds like he's having a good camp would like to hear more about him with the first team.. 

Even if Melvin starts at the beginning, it won't be long until Wilson starts

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dorsett definitely improved from year 1 to year 2, TY's the only WR that had more yards than him last year. And we have yet to see Green or Ferguson in their second year, so you're totally speculating with those 2.

Its to your sarcastic comment this is Morrison's second year we have yet to see how that translates against other opponents. I just pointed out that i like the positive feedback im hearing regarding his improvements because i wasnt necessarily sold on him last season. As for Dorsett his performance was still lackluster in his 2nd season, he is currently getting beat out by Rogers. Green is being beat out by Farley and Powel at the moment. Also there were several backs brought in which doesn't spell much for Ferguson especially given the fact that Mack is getting more touches than the kid. I was originally just busting chops honestly lol.

45 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

As for Dorsett his performance was still lackluster in his 2nd season

I think most fans of any other team would be pretty happy with 500+ yards and a couple of TDs from a 2nd year WR3, which is essentially what Dorsett was last year. When you look at other WR3s around the league that are in top 10 offenses, his production was right on par with them.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think most fans of any other team would be pretty happy with 500+ yards and a couple of TDs from a 2nd year WR3, which is essentially what Dorsett was last year. When you look at other WR3s around the league that are in top 10 offenses, his production was right on par with them.

Unfortunately people can't get past the fact he was a first round pick

I like both Rogers and Dorsett.  Rogers is just one of those silky smooth athletes that does not seem to be great at anything but does everything well.  He gets open, he has consistent hands, has NFL speed and seems to be a hard worker.

Dorsett has great speed, good hands will sacrifice his body to make a catch but it does not seem that he works on the improving the finer points of being a WR.  For eample, several times last year I would watch him run a route, he ran a good route, fast in and out of his breaks but he would dip his outside shoulder right before the cut and the SB would see that and break when they saw that shoulder dip so he was no longer open.  I have often compared his numbers to Waynes in the 1st two years and if you look at the totals they are pretty close.  But when you look at Wayne's his numbers started improving in the 2nd half of his 2nd year whereas Dorsett numbers were pretty stagnant when they should have been increasing.  And to me, that relates directly to work in the offseason.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

So far it's looking like Spence, Jackson, and Walker will probably be the backups.  Seems Jackson has been getting some work in Nickel.  Haven't heard much on Spence.

I think wrt Spence, Pagano's teams love physical run stopping ILBs. Spence is a true WILL that does his best work in space. I think he will eventually break into the starting line up once the see him in the preseason games.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Correct, and I'd understand that if he was getting way overpaid and making $10mil a year, or if we'd taken him in the top 5, but he's barely a first rounder at 29th overall, and despite the narrative that he has bad hands and isn't talented, he's shown on several occasions that he can beat NFL DBs, and that he does indeed belong. It's not his fault that a former Colts GM took him too high in the draft.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Lets not forget the fact that Moncrief was injured which inflated his numbers. Compared to most of the other WRs taken in the 2015 1st round he doest fare well production wise. 

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Lets not forget the fact that Moncrief was injured which inflated his numbers. Compared to most of the other WRs taken in the 2015 1st round he doest fare well production wise. 

So is it his fault he hasn't been utilized correctly?

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Correct, and I'd understand that if he was getting way overpaid and making $10mil a year, or if we'd taken him in the top 5, but he's barely a first rounder at 29th overall, and despite the narrative that he has bad hands and isn't talented, he's shown on several occasions that he can beat NFL DBs, and that he does indeed belong. It's not his fault that a former Colts GM took him too high in the draft.

Not only that the Colts offense has not been very friendly to any receivers except Hilton and Doyle .

The OC needs to check into calling a few more slants and post to Dorsett.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

This is true. Fans expect a first round pick to be starting instead of fighting 

for the 3rd spot in their 3rd season. Especially since there were so many

holes on the line and defense to be plugged up with a starter with the 1spick.

I would like to see him have a breakout year and give Moncrief/Rogers

a run for their money but both of those guys appear to want it more.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, ProblChld32 said:

I took the trouble of actually going back to the 2015 first round class of whide receivers,  and there's only one WR whose numbers are dramatically better than Dorsett,  and that's Amari Cooper,  who is performing like a #1.   But Dorsett's  numbers are far better than Kevin White who the Bears draft at #7,  better than Nelson Agolor who Philly drafted at #20 and better than Brashard Perriman who Baltimore drafted at #26.

The only other WR who has done better than Dorsett is Devonte Parker, who Miami took at 14,  and while his numbers are better,  they're not that much better when you consider that Dorsett missed nearly half of his rookie season.

Dorsett hasn't embarassed himself,  though he's something of a disappointment,   but he's not a bust.  

This is a key year for him and while he currently is behind Rogers for the 3rd WR spot,  I'd say that (A) the competiton is not over yet,  and (B) I view it as more of a plus for Rogers rather than a negative for Dorsett.

Dorsett caught a nice ball going to the ground along the sideline working against Vontae Davis and worked a beautiful double-move against Nate Hairston to get wide -open across the middle. He looked solid in drills, displayed good hands, and adjusted to poor throws to reel-in catches on a of couple contested balls. I don’t think that you could have asked for a better day from Dorsett with all of the questions that have been following him recently.

stampedeblue

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Good points. Based on his draft position, he shouldn't be WR3 though.

16 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Is it me or does Matthew Hasselbeck & Chewbacca look they are in a fencing class without swords? On Guard.

Wait, I thought it was your turn to rent the swords this week Andrew? Ah man, come on dude. LOL! 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I scanned quickly and didn't notice anything about Mack except lined up for Kick returns. So anyone know how he has looked so far after only a couple practices?

Matt Danely from StampedeBlue seems very high on him.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/1/16079046/camp-notes-colts-popping-pads-on-day-3-of-training-camp

Marlon Mack is going to be a blast to watch

In spite of Robert Turbin looking very good today as well, Mack was on another level from the rest of the backs. Especially when he gets to the line of scrimmage clean, he is quick, shifty he has some really fun one-cut ability and he can beat defenders to the edge with regularity.

A couple time today Mack went straight up the gut through the defense and moved side to side smoother than a bobsled. His lower body almost resembles an edge rusher’s bend when making multiple cuts. He doesn’t lose speed when changing direction and his big play possibilities make you just shake your head. Mack brings something the Colts simply do not have, and haven’t for quite a while.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/3/16092666/colts-training-camp-notes-day-4-doesnt-disappoint

Marlon Mack looked as fast and shifty as he did Tuesday, but during punt return duties was the only player to muff his attempt. His speed is going to be a game-changer when he takes over the No 3 role for good.

On the other hand, Josh Ferguson continues to get worked as the No 3 back. In no way would I say he’s above Mack but he is definitely competing for his spot. In the end, I suspect that Mack will win the spot.

15 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The only problem with this is that he was a WR2 for half the year when moncrief was injured.

Edit: Ignore me... I posted this before I read everything inbetween your post and this one.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure what we're doing at ILB. Nice to hear Morrison improving but he's not athletic. We need LBs who can play in space. Maybe Bostic can. Walker has potential.

I feel ILB has to be addressed in the next draft.

This is only my opinion,  but....

I think ILB will be addressed in the 2018 Free Agnecy period.

I think it's less likely to be addressed in the draft.     We will have many other needs that will likely be more important to address before ILB.

Remember,   an ILB comes OFF the field on roughly 50-65 percent of the plays to allow for an extra pass rush or an extra defensive back.

IMO,  drafting a quality ILB will likely be the last piece of defensive puzzle to be addressed,  unless there is someone so good,  so highly rated when we draft to pass up.

Just my two cents.....

Not sure what we're doing at ILB. Nice to hear Morrison improving but he's not athletic. We need LBs who can play in space. Maybe Bostic can. Walker has potential.

I feel ILB has to be addressed in the next draft.

This is only my opinion,  but....

I think ILB will be addressed in the 2018 Free Agnecy period.

I think it's less likely to be addressed in the draft.     We will have many other needs that will likely be more important to address before ILB.

Remember,   an ILB comes OFF the field on roughly 50-65 percent of the plays to allow for an extra pass rush or an extra defensive back.

IMO,  drafting a quality ILB will likely be the last piece of defensive puzzle to be addressed,  unless there is someone so good,  so highly rated when we draft to pass up.

Just my two cents.....

I'm not sure who you reasonably expect to be available in 2018 during FA. Maybe we could trade for Kendricks but that might cost a high pick.

Not to mention with Luck's contract it's better to get a salary controlled rookie for 2-4 years (depending on where they're drafted) than it is to try and cash in on a marquee FA. Draft and develop is why despite only winning 1 Lombardi with a future Hall of Famer at QB, the Packers haven't missed the playoffs in years. A LB needs to be drafted. All FA really is is signing people that someone else already drafted. Why not just draft one ourselves and pay him after 4 years? Or if he's not good enough for a payday you have awhile to draft and try again.

Plus this upcoming ILB class is deep.

I think we're okay at ILB for this year.  I trust Morrison and Bostic against the run and if we are playing somebody that utilizes the pass more we've got different coverage guys we can role out between dime linebackers like Geathers and Green.   Along with speed coverage backers like Spence, Ayers, Barkevious Mingo, Edwin Jackson.   I think we've got more guys we can utilize than we've had in the past.  Bostic doesn't necessarily have to come off the field either.  It's not like he's slow.  He's about a 4.6 guy himself.  And I forgot Ant Walker has some wheels too.   I'm all for improving the group even more in the next draft, but I think we've got more at our disposal than we've usually had.  We should do alright this year.