Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chester Rogers

TKnight24

He's a great story. And with the new regime, there is no bias toward Dorsett. 

That said, I'd love nothing more than to have a knock down drag out fight for that 3rd WR slot between those two. 

This pre-season will be much more entertaining than normal because of all the competition for WR; TE; RB; Dline; LB; CB; and S. I'm watching every one of the Colts' pre season games with genuine interest for the first time in years. 

IMO, the correct approach is to let the players compete and then base your judgement strictly on their performance and not their draft position. So far, I am happy that we are seeing the coaches allow the players to compete. If Rogers has outperformed Dorsett and Aiken, then he deserves to be receiver #3.

I am happy that the coaches have taken this approach. As a fan, I want to see the best players out on the field representing my beloved Colts.

I really like Rogers. He's was a really good find. 

That being said, #3 WR doesn't mean much, imo. The battle for snaps will continue all season long and the decisions well be largely situational. Aiken will likely see a lot of RZ and 3rd down snaps. Dorsett well get PT when the Colts need to exploit a slower secondary. 

It does look, for now at least, like Rogers is the least situational of the three possible #3s. He is quick, he isn't a munchkin. He should be in line for a greatly expanded role compared to last season.

The one limiter for Rogers, in my view, is that the staff might want to save a roster spot and make him a returner. If he shows that he can do it, somebody like Bray or Ferguson might become expendable, could save Ridgeway or somebody else a spot on defense. 

9 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Ignoring draft position is a nice idea but no one really does it.

If Dorsett was an UDFA and produced exactly the same as he has, we'd be going nuts over him.

Well, Ballard ignores draft position. I believe him & the former Chiefs GM cut a high draft pick for a UDFA one year or something like that 

Unless you were referring to fans 

Last season LUCKY fired the ball downfield to Rogers in some pretty tight windows.

I thought it was slightly out of character for him to do that.

To me, Rogers routes looked pretty fast and very smooth, so i think Lucky had a level of trust with the route

that he hasn`t been used to getting with some of the others. jmo

lol Chester.

It is early, and we know depth is very important, so let`s root for all our guys to be ready when their # is called.

10 days    till our BIG D starts laying the hammer. :applause:

54 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Last season LUCKY fired the ball downfield to Rogers in some pretty tight windows.

I thought it was slightly out of character for him to do that.

To me, Rogers routes looked pretty fast and very smooth, so i think Lucky had a level of trust with the route

that he hasn`t been used to getting with some of the others. jmo

lol Chester.

It is early, and we know depth is very important, so let`s root for all our guys to be ready when their # is called.

10 days    till our BIG D starts laying the hammer. :applause:

Not quite sure how to interpret that... :)

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Well, Ballard ignores draft position. I believe him & the former Chiefs GM cut a high draft pick for a UDFA one year or something like that 

Unless you were referring to fans 

You are correct and unfortunately it was to my Irish and KeiVarae Russell.  He was a 3rd rounder.

Last year in preseason, he made any number of catches, then left yardage on the field because his legs were hyper. At times, like a cartoon character, he'd make a catch then fall down because his legs were like a newborn deer. I had him going to the practice squad, but he made the 53. Coaches were right, of course, because when he did get his number called later in the season, he seemed to have calmed down those crazy legs and demonstrated very nice control. I should have recognized that he got all those catches because he can get separation. That alone is a big deal. A WR that can get separation and catch what's thrown at him will rise on any roster. Looks like he has taken those skills and really started to polish them into something. That's just great news for our WR core any way you slice it.

23 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Who was the other UDFA we had along with Rogers...I can't remember and maybe he wasn't a UFDA but he had potential also at one point I thought 

Your probably thinking about Tavaan Smith from Iowa or possibly Marcus Leak. Alot of fans really liked Smith.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

Who was the other UDFA we had along with Rogers...I can't remember and maybe he wasn't a UFDA but he had potential also at one point I thought 

Could have been Devin Street maybe...

Indianapolis Colts

On September 21, 2016, he was signed by the Indianapolis Colts off the Patriots practice squad. He was released by the Colts on November 23, 2016 and was signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted back to the active roster on December 12, 2016. He finished the year with only one reception for 20 yards. On May 1, 2017, Street was waived by the Colts.  ---Wikipedia