Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck could miss 6 games

ColtsArmy84

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV just said on his radio show that he expects Luck to miss possibly the first two games and that his sources told him that worse case scenario is that he misses the first 4.

He also said that he's not throwing full sized footballs yet and it would be miraculous for him to play week 1. Take all that for what it's worth. Just passing along what I heard.

Luck could possibly be on a baseball throwers rehab protocol then, much like this one-

http://bostonshoulderinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Shoulder-Return-to-Throwing-Program2.pdf

And they possibly would make the switch when it seems the shoulder has enough strength and stability to hold up to finishing his rehab and Intermittent Throwing Program with full sized footballs.  But be assured, he is on some type of medically supervised throwing regimen. Just not sure of the exact one.

I think most Colts fans will agree that this wasn't the year for a deep playoff run anyhow so it may actually be a blessing to rest Luck a few games until he is fully ready to come back. 2018 could be the year that Indy fully comes back as a regular playoff team. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I think most Colts fans will agree that this wasn't the year for a deep playoff run anyhow so it may actually be a blessing to rest Luck a few games until he is fully ready to come back. 2018 could be the year that Indy fully comes back as a regular playoff team. 

Well, there's definitely truth in what you say.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

What happened is he had surgery in May, rehabbed, came off PUP during camp and started practicing. He started experiencing more pain, and they decided in September to do the spinal fusion. The hope all along was that he'd be ready for the start of the season. It wasn't until the fusion that they knew he wouldn't. 

To imply that the team hid Manning's second operation until some reporter finally broke the story is entirely false.

They in fact hid that information. We didn’t know the deep info until Manning talked to the fans in December on CBS

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

BoilerColt Posted that JMV heard from his sources that Andrew may miss the first 2 games, worse case scenario first 4. I didn't listen to his show today but that is what Boiler Posted.

I'm taking him with a grain of salt these days as well. He was pretty hot & heavy with the Manning/Gruden stuff back in January, and I'm not falling for that nonsense again.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm taking him with a grain of salt these days as well. He was pretty hot & heavy with the Manning/Gruden stuff back in January, and I'm not falling for that nonsense again.

I hope he's wrong because if Andrew doesnt play on opening day we could very well lose. I know it's the Rams but we usually struggle on opening day anyway.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope he's wrong because if Andrew doesnt play on opening day we could very well lose. I know it's the Rams but we usually struggle on opening day anyway.

I wish we opened the season with the games we were probably going to lose anyway.  If he does miss time we could very well lose to LA/CLE which would put us in a deeper hole.

1 minute ago, bananabucket said:

I wish we opened the season with the games we were probably going to lose anyway.  If he does miss time we could very well lose to LA/CLE which would put us in a deeper hole.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Those 2 games I had circled as wins, now I don't know.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree with most of this, but at the same time I don't think any of us saw the Colts going to the AFCCG in '14, and I doubt experts were picking Atlanta to make it to the Super Bowl going into last season. So it could just as easily happen to this team, it wouldn't really be all that "shocking" except to people outside of our fanbase.

Plus, there's no guarantee of multiple titles down the road either, which is all the more reason to not waste ANY of Luck's prime years. I'm not saying to push him out there before he's ready, but like you said, if he's 100% by week 1, he needs to be on the field, end of story.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it can't happen by any means.  The schedule itself is not all that daunting IMHO and may be the "easiest" they've had in years.  I'm just saying that with so many new faces, the fact that Brady is still in the league, and the Colts relying on so many rookies to come through, perhaps this won't be "the year".  Not saying it can't happen, just maybe not likely is what I'd call it.  I DO think they have every chance to be a playoff team though, even if they don't win the division.

35 minutes ago, a06cc said:

They in fact hid that information. We didn’t know the deep info until Manning talked to the fans in December on CBS

None of that was hidden.

Manning's surgery in May 2011: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ffdcc8/article/colts-manning-undergoes-surgery-to-fix-bulging-disk-in-neck

Manning's new contract in July 2011, with lingering questions about his recovery: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/6817822/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-signs-five-year-90-million-deal

Manning's fusion in September 2011: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/6944302/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-more-surgery-neck / https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/manning-undergoes-cervical-fusion-surgery-thursday-now-out-at-least-2-3-months?urn=nfl,wp6714 

Manning had been hoping to avoid the procedure that put him out for that long, but eventually, it proved inevitable. "I think he's OK, probably because there's a little finality to this deal in terms of playing," Manning's father Archie told Mortensen. "He's been on the clock since May. He didn't make it. Obviously, it's a big letdown, but he can relax a little bit compared to the intensity of everything he has done trying to rehab."

What we didn't know is that he'd had an operation sometime around two weeks after the May surgery, another decompression operation with a 6-8 week recovery time. The league was still in labor negotiations, so the team wasn't required to report that. We're not even clear that the team knew about the second operation, unless I missed something.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/peyton-manning-on-his-neck-surgeries-rehab--and-how-he-almost-didnt-make-it-back/2013/10/21/8e3b5ca6-3a55-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html?utm_term=.1e004203af11

His doctors discovered that he had re-herniated the disc, and Manning returned to the hospital for a second surgery, this one in virtual secrecy.

That September, the disc re-herniated yet again. This time, Manning sought a permanent solution: a fusion to stabilize the neck. It would be his fourth surgery in two years. 

By the time he signed his contract, and up until he decided to have the fusion operation, he and the team hoped that he would be ready for the start of the season. They didn't hide the seriousness of his condition, knowing that he wouldn't be ready. He suffered a(nother) setback, and then they reset expectations.

In the case of Luck, if he suffers a setback and can't go to start the season, or even if his recovery stalls more than they hope, that won't mean that the team hid the severity of his injury, or that they lied about when they expect him to be ready to play. It will simply mean that what they hoped for and expected didn't happen according to plan. And that's typical when it comes to recovery from surgery and the rehab that follows. 

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think Kape and his Rage Against the Machine lead singer audition is annoying, but honestly, if Luck isn't ready to go for a few weeks, they need to do their homework on the guy based solely on his football merits. 

Football seasons are so incredibly finite that they've gotta do everything they can to get Luck in to the playoffs and take their chances from there.

"rage against the machine lead singer audition". lmaolmaolmao I just spit out my drink when I seen this. lmaolmaolmao 

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Here ya go, straight from the horse's mouth...

Thank God for something finally concrete.

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV just said on his radio show that he expects Luck to miss possibly the first two games and that his sources told him that worse case scenario is that he misses the first 4.

He also said that he's not throwing full sized footballs yet and it would be miraculous for him to play week 1. Take all that for what it's worth. Just passing along what I heard.

This sadly makes some sort of sense. I hope not but 2 to 4 sounds more reasonable. Lets hope for the best.

*claps* LETS GO DEFENSE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, bleevit said:

I agree. He can kiss my sister's black cat's butt.

Ohhhh black kitties rock. And black kitty butts are cute too when they are walking away!:D

9 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

That's a fair point. However, this particular "report" doesn't seem to be based on anything substantive. It's difficult to be patient, and the Colts are more concerned about him being completely healthy (even if it means regular season PUP). So, I don't think it's out of the question but as some have stated, Ballard seems to be confident he'll be ok by week 1 of the regular season. 

One issue on his injury is the severity and after he was interviewed on it one of the reporters pointed out it is a very serious one. Any team with a QB like and Andrew Luck has to think of the 10 + years he has ahead of him and Irsay has pointed that out. I just don't want to see him get hit and grab that shoulder because it will mean doomsday.

11 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I thought I read/heard somewhere he was throwing tennis balls or something. Could've been a dream though, sometimes it's hard to tell. 

Is this a joke.

Tennis balls?

:eek:

Cause I am hearing too he is not throwing real footballs.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

Is this a joke.

Tennis balls?

:eek:

Cause I am hearing too he is not throwing real footballs.

I'm being serious. I know to work back into your strength you start off light, but I also said I could've been misinformed or something of the like. 

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I'm being serious. I know to work back into your strength you start off light, but I also said I could've been misinformed or something of the like. 

I guess this makes some sort of sense. 

50 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Yeah, they start out throwing small, light objects, and they take it slooooowwww at first. 

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Sure does put a damper on my excitement level for the season though

For sure.

I mean hopefully we get this D to a point where they can legitimately keep us in games if we have no qb.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's our franchise QB, and this team just flat out isn't that entertaining to watch when he's not on the field. It's gonna be a pretty hot topic until there's some clarity on his timeline.

I understand the impact Andrew Luck has on this team. The comment is directed at the non-story, speculation that surrounds this. 

So the Colts are being super cautious with Luck, hoping to avoid any setbacks with his recovery and rehab.

Meanwhile, Cam Newton had a less significant operation and was cleared to throw a few weeks ago, but he's missed practice three days in a row. 

I'd say the Colts are right to be extra careful. That doesn't mean the Panthers did anything wrong, or that Luck won't have similar limitations once he ramps things up, but it goes to show that throwing shoulder recovery is touchy, and can't be treated lightly. In both cases, these guys will be ready when they're ready, and it does no good to try to push the envelope.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

In the case of Luck, if he suffers a setback and can't go to start the season, or even if his recovery stalls more than they hope, that won't mean that the team hid the severity of his injury, or that they lied about when they expect him to be ready to play. It will simply mean that what they hoped for and expected didn't happen according to plan. And that's typical when it comes to recovery from surgery and the rehab that follows. 

I agree....I don't think anything has been hidden either. I think everyone should have been aware of how serious this was....after all I think it played a HUGE part in the decision to fire Grigson....amongst many other things not protecting your franchise player and supporting him I think was kinda the last straw that broke the camels back in my completely unsupported opinion....Jan 19th it was announced Andrew had surgery...Jan 21st Grigson is fired. Again I know that's not the primary reason but I just think deep down the severity of the surgery was known then and it played a part in making that decision to move on....so to me...I feel like they have known all along the severity of this injury.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree....I don't think anything has been hidden either. I think everyone should have been aware of how serious this was....after all I think it played a HUGE part in the decision to fire Grigson....amongst other things not protecting your franchise player and supporting him I think was kinda the last straw that broke the camels back in my completely unsupported opinion....Jan 19th it was announced Andrew had surgery...Jan 21st Grigson is fired. Again I know that's not the primary reason but I just think deep down the severity of the surgery was known then and it played a part in making that decision to move on....so to me...I feel like they have known all along the severity of this injury.

The team knew the situation as soon as the surgeon exited the O.R. and talked to them about what it took to 'fix' A. Luck up'. It was 'more than a cleanup', and the recovery would be longer and more involved since healing of soft tissue is involved.

I stopped reading the article in the link after it had a Jason La Canfora quote in it about Andrew's PUP status. 

I have nothing against Jason personally. I just remember when he was on NFL Network before he went over to CBS Sports. The man never impressed me with his statements or said anything noteworthy to me. Whatever  La Canfora says, I basically ignore. 

On August 1, 2017 at 11:49 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are screwed, where's Hass at when you need him :sarcasm:

LMAO. I needed a good belly roll laugh tonight thanks CBE. Nice. 

On August 2, 2017 at 0:04 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe we can call Charlie Whitehurst up. :thmup:

That dude would be great in a reenactment of Jesus Christ Superstar wouldn't he? It's the hair man. 

On August 2, 2017 at 0:25 AM, Superman said:

La Canfora just said some sensationalist nonsense for clicks. 

Well said Supes. That post pretty much nailed it. 

On August 2, 2017 at 0:44 AM, Jules said:

Yeah that was the old Whitesnake song with the woman dancing on the car. lmao Hilariously I used to even think of that song for the Colts cause of the line "here I go again on my own" as if our QBs are often seriously ON THEIR OWN.

lmao 

David Coverdale is the best. I still follow the guy even today. That song never gets old. My sister even used that song for her high school class graduation finale number in 1988 too.

Yeah, that song would be a good anthem for INDY this year.

"...An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a hobo I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time." 

Works for me. Thanks Jules. :P 

On August 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Tawny Kitaen

MV5BMTkyOTE5Mzk1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM4

I was waiting for RR7 to post that picture. Twisted minds think alike buddy. I mean that in the best possible sense.

On August 2, 2017 at 0:28 PM, braveheartcolt said:

Luck MUST paly all 16 games. If he misses a large chunk of the season, now on earth will we be able to gauge whether Pagano stays or goes? Doesn't bear thinking about. This forum will go crazeeeee.

If Luck did heaven forbid did miss significant time, Pagano's prospects with the face of the franchise sidelined even for a short while would literally crash the forum. You're exactly right BHC. 

Look, I've been tough on Chuck. I'll own that. I do agree though that our HC deserves a full season with a healthy Luck at the helm to adequately evaluate his future in INDY. I can be harsh on coaches yes, but I'm extremely fair too. Or I strive to be anyway. 

On August 2, 2017 at 8:34 PM, 1959Colts said:

Who needs Whitehurst???  ...We got Tolzien

I saw plenty of Scott at UW-Madison. Be afraid. Very, very afraid. That's not a complement BTW.

In GB, he was okay. There's a reason he's a backup.