Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck could miss 6 games

ColtsArmy84

From that link: "Colts GM Chris Ballard insisted Andrew Luck (shoulder) will be activated from active/PUP before Week 1."

If that's what Ballard says, I see no reason distrust him. If a team wanted to lie about this, they'd do it the other way around, like the Patriots do (ie. Brady's status for games is frequently "questionable").

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I'll take Kapernick, not confident in Tolzien & it seems the coaches aren't confident in Morris. 

I wanna see Morris, Tolzien progression is over, he is what he is. Morris at least can develop 

I dunno if I would want Krapernick.  Too much drama and not enough talent.  At this point I would roll with Tolzien and Morris.  They know the system at least. 

12 hours ago, Superman said:

He could be throwing Nerf balls at this point, we really don't know yet, and no one has asked. (Seriously, after Ballard said last week that he was throwing, someone should have immediately asked whether he's throwing actual footballs overhand yet. Nope.)

But assuming his throwing program progresses according to plan, he shouldn't be out for 6 weeks. 

I thought I read/heard somewhere he was throwing tennis balls or something. Could've been a dream though, sometimes it's hard to tell. 

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If he was going to miss 6 games, they would have brought a veteran in for insurance.

Name the vet. There is none better than the back up they have now that can step in and move the offense...and don't say Kaepernick. If Luck has to sit 16 games so be it.

Click bait articles are the worst.  He will be fine and unless he has some random setback the PUP makes zero cents.  Ballard has mentioned that he hopes for week one but said he will be off the PUP list before the season starts.  This is also a great way for our team to actually become a team.  I heard Chappell talking on the radio yesterday about this being good timing for us to build.  Ballard wants a 53 man team and not just 52 players sitting on Luck's shoulders.

The Kaepernick thing will never happen.  You would have to change the offense completely just to facilitate a back-up... a key reason why he is not signed right now.  I think Tolzein will be alright as long as our WR's can catch this year and our D shows up.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Click bait articles are the worst.  He will be fine and unless he has some random setback the PUP makes zero cents.  Ballard has mentioned that he hopes for week one but said he will be off the PUP list before the season starts.  This is also a great way for our team to actually become a team.  I heard Chappell talking on the radio yesterday about this being good timing for us to build.  Ballard wants a 53 man team and not just 52 players sitting on Luck's shoulders.

The Kaepernick thing will never happen.  You would have to change the offense completely just to facilitate a back-up... a key reason why he is not signed right now.  I think Tolzein will be alright as long as our WR's can catch this year and our D shows up.

It would work out okay if Tolzein and/or Morris had to play. They have been in the system for a full year already so they would be more familiar with it than anyone. Hell, we won a game in 2015 (Week 17 vs Titans) with Josh Freeman and Ryan Linley and they had what 5 days to prepare?

46 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Name the vet. There is none better than the back up they have now that can step in and move the offense...and don't say Kaepernick. If Luck has to sit 16 games so be it.

That's a fair point. However, this particular "report" doesn't seem to be based on anything substantive. It's difficult to be patient, and the Colts are more concerned about him being completely healthy (even if it means regular season PUP). So, I don't think it's out of the question but as some have stated, Ballard seems to be confident he'll be ok by week 1 of the regular season. 

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Since Andrew is on the Active/PUP list, he is at the facility and in team meetings.  However, he_is_not on the practice field with his Colts teammates.  It is not allowed.  Luck is on a throwing regimen (rehab protocol) under medical supervision to generate strength and stability in his shoulder.  When cleared by the medical staff, the Colts will take him off the PUP and he can then practice with the team in game plan specific drills.

You're splitting hairs somewhat, aren't you?

I know he's not practicing and he's not in the way of practice. That would be dangerous. He's not 100%

...but he is there.   There's great value in that.

We've seen the film clips. He's right there. He IS on the field with his teammates. WE see that. He's just not practicing. He's talking to the coaches. Giving advice to the other QBs.

He does not need to actually practice right now. Same teammates. Same offense.

He shouldn't be playing in the pre-season anyway

The point? When he is cleared to play, he'll be ready to step right in.  Beacuse he's been there every day

7 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

From that link: "Colts GM Chris Ballard insisted Andrew Luck (shoulder) will be activated from active/PUP before Week 1."

If that's what Ballard says, I see no reason distrust him. If a team wanted to lie about this, they'd do it the other way around, like the Patriots do (ie. Brady's status for games is frequently "questionable").

Listen to RMD@!

Ballard has no reason to lie to us.  He may not know for sure about when Andrew plays but if the GM says hell be activated for week one, he'll be activated for week one.

Which, to me, means he's likely to play in week one

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Listen to RMD@!

Ballard has no reason to lie to us.  He may not know for sure about when Andrew plays but if the GM says hell be activated for week one, he'll be activated for week one.

Which, to me, means he's likely to play in week one

silliness

you learned nothing from past history

this sells tickets period

I think Kape and his Rage Against the Machine lead singer audition is annoying, but honestly, if Luck isn't ready to go for a few weeks, they need to do their homework on the guy based solely on his football merits. 

Football seasons are so incredibly finite that they've gotta do everything they can to get Luck in to the playoffs and take their chances from there.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Wade Phillips is going to make that defense interesting from Day 1. I think they'd destroy Tolzien. 

wade is good but if our o-line can protect the qb an average guy can look good. i am not sure about our defense pass rush? pass defense? i think run stopping will be ok.

15 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Considering he is throwing I don't see him missing 6 weeks I think at most first game or two if not ready.

We don't know exact what he is throwing. They only said he has begun a throwing program. He may only be throwing tennis balls. 

51 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

silliness

I think Irsay controls how much info is put out there. GMs and coaches have changed but how coy they are with injuries has not changed.  

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

silliness

The tickets are already sold. The only tickets for sell right now are single seats. From what I get there is a pretty long waiting list for season tickets.

It is not unusual for teams including the Colts to be very vague about injuries. IMO they wouldn't even report them at all if the league didn't require some sort of report put out. Sports are one of the very few professions that report anything medical. HIPAA laws are in place to stop employers from sharing any information about an employee.

It seems hard for me to believe that someone coming back from injury would have 6-7 weeks to throw and prepare and wouldn't be ready for the first game, assuming he doesn't reaggravate  it.  That's a long time.

I don't know if the report is true or not, but if he's not ready to go then don't rush him just because it's regular season.  The worst thing they could do is put him out there because he's "supposed to be".  They gotta think about the future and not just 2017.  I know some will disagree with me, but even in the best-case scenario I can't see the Colts winning the Superbowl in 2017/18 so don't force it please.  Lets make sure this guy is FULLY healthy and has an opportunity to win multiple titles down the road.  Having said that, if he's really healthy and ready to go then by all means let him play

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't know if the report is true or not, but if he's not ready to go then don't rush him just because it's regular season.  The worst thing they could do is put him out there because he's "supposed to be".  They gotta think about the future and not just 2017.  I know some will disagree with me, but even in the best-case scenario I can't see the Colts winning the Superbowl in 2017/18 so don't force it please.  Lets make sure this guy is FULLY healthy and has an opportunity to win multiple titles down the road.  Having said that, if he's really healthy and ready to go then by all means let him play

I agree with most of this, but at the same time I don't think any of us saw the Colts going to the AFCCG in '14, and I doubt experts were picking Atlanta to make it to the Super Bowl going into last season. So it could just as easily happen to this team, it wouldn't really be all that "shocking" except to people outside of our fanbase.

Plus, there's no guarantee of multiple titles down the road either, which is all the more reason to not waste ANY of Luck's prime years. I'm not saying to push him out there before he's ready, but like you said, if he's 100% by week 1, he needs to be on the field, end of story.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think Kape and his Rage Against the Machine lead singer audition is annoying, but honestly, if Luck isn't ready to go for a few weeks, they need to do their homework on the guy based solely on his football merits. 

Football seasons are so incredibly finite that they've gotta do everything they can to get Luck in to the playoffs and take their chances from there.

Basing solely on his football performance, pass on Kape, I'd rather re-sign Curtis Painter

16 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I'll take Kapernick, not confident in Tolzien & it seems the coaches aren't confident in Morris. 

I wanna see Morris, Tolzien progression is over, he is what he is. Morris at least can develop 

You would rather have a guy that got benched for Blaine Gabbert?

25 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I can imagine few things more revolting (pun intended) than the thought of Kaepernick's head inside a Colts helmet and his name on the back of a Colts jersey.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, especially if it led to wins that would've otherwise been losses. But I don't really see the point of bringing in a vet and trying to get him up to speed with Chud's offense when we have 2 guys that already know it.

JMV just said on his radio show that he expects Luck to miss possibly the first two games and that his sources told him that worse case scenario is that he misses the first 4.

He also said that he's not throwing full sized footballs yet and it would be miraculous for him to play week 1. Take all that for what it's worth. Just passing along what I heard.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Gabbertt started over kaep last year

Kap was hurt last year, to hear Chip Kelly tell it. They reworked his contract, and he started from Week 6 through the rest of the season. He personally had a pretty strong finish, aside from the Bears game. He was always better than Gabbert, and everyone knew it. 

He's also better than Tolzien. His way of playing the position makes it difficult to use him as a short term backup QB, but the idea that he wasn't good enough to beat out Blaine Gabbert and that he isn't good enough to be on an NFL roster isn't accurate at all. 

55 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV just said on his radio show that he expects Luck to miss possibly the first two games and that his sources told him that worse case scenario is that he misses the first 4.

He also said that he's not throwing full sized footballs yet and it would be miraculous for him to play week 1. Take all that for what it's worth. Just passing along what I heard.

JMV has really good sources. 

If by chance he does miss time, it's fine, we aren't the SB favorites or anything. It would be meaningless to rush him back when we've gotta be looking at 5 years down the road. Can't get him hurt badly again.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, oldunclemark said:

You're splitting hairs somewhat, aren't you?

I know he's not practicing and he's not in the way of practice. That would be dangerous. He's not 100%

...but he is there.   There's great value in that.

We've seen the film clips. He's right there. He IS on the field with his teammates. WE see that. He's just not practicing. He's talking to the coaches. Giving advice to the other QBs.

He does not need to actually practice right now. Same teammates. Same offense.

He shouldn't be playing in the pre-season anyway

The point? When he is cleared to play, he'll be ready to step right in.  Beacuse he's been there every day

In multiple posts I've stated the PUP allows him access to the facility, and medically supervised workouts, and be at team meetings.  A player cannot partake in any activity on the field remotely considered to be a  practice activity, even for even less than 1 minute, otherwise the player is immediately ineligible for the PUP! Luck was placed on the PUP and is forbidden to partake in any type of practice activity or drill at all, until cleared medically and taken off the PUP.

The fact you say you saw him on the field, with team during activities isn't the on-the-filed event I was referring to.  However, I would caution letting any PUP player on the practice field while formal activity is going on.  Each and every training camp activity must be fully recorded by the team, and kept for a set amount of time after the season begins (in case a player lodges a complaint of a training camp rules violation). I'm sure there are penalties for allowing a non-cleared PUP player to participate in practice activities. We would not want that.

Him being there at times may have provided indirect help, but some things cannot get done, like  receivers getting a feel for the launch point, speed, spin, etc.. of Lucks passes vs. those of the other QB's. (they are all different). and Luck doesn't get the feel for timing, receiver speed, and sharpness of receiver breaks during the route etc...

So my post concerns official NFL Policy... Luck is not on the field in practice activities now, or at any time while he is still on the PUP.

And for those wondering when to mash the panic button, it would be only if the Colts do not take Luck off the PUP just before / as the regular season is to begin; and we still get 'there's no timeline' mantra on his return. {but we would now know it would be mid October at the minimum then} In the interim, I'm not having difficulty sleeping at night.

50 minutes ago, IinD said:

If by chance he does miss time, it's fine, we aren't the SB favorites or anything. It would be meaningless to rush him back when we've gotta be looking at 5 years down the road. Can't get him hurt badly again.

Sure does put a damper on my excitement level for the season though