Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck: Combine And Pro Day

I wonder if andrew Luck's performance during the combind and his pro day will have an effect on his draft status. I am assuming that it won't, however, I feel that he may really underwhelm a lot of scouts. He will not have the strongest arm at the combine, and will not be the fastest. Other quarterbacks with rocket arms will get a lot of attention, and of course RGIII wih his blazing speed and powerful arm will be who all of the scouts will be talking about during the combine. Andrew Luck will show great fundamentals, footwork and accuracy, but that's not flashy.

Could the combine and pro days have that big of an effect on scout's opinions?

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/2012/2/10/2789243/andrew-luck-robert-griffin-iii-pro-day-stanford-baylor

A link of when both will have their pro days.

It won't make a difference - in fact it could even benefit him as he is significantly faster than most people give him credit for, I remember seeing he's actually faster than Tim Tebow. If scouts are surprised at his arm strength from the combine, I'd personally doubt their scouting aptitude in the first place as it's no secret he's not the strongest thrower in history.

The one thing I have noticed about Andrew Luck from following Stanford football, is that he is so boringly good.

Right...In recent posts I have compared him to Tim Duncan A.K.A. "the Big Funadamental." He does everything well and makes it look too easy.

dont the top big name QBs coming out of college usually never go to the combine? would this probably be the case for luck and just have a pro day?

yeah i noticed that too. Why is that?

well unless the qb has something to prove like how everyone questioned cam or unless their hurt, they will usually wait til their pro day.

well unless the qb has something to prove like how everyone questioned cam or unless their hurt, they will usually wait til their pro day.

ooh alright. i don't see how luck wouldn't do some drills to show he does have a good arm. i think i saw on that sports science he can throw seventy yards or so. So i mean why not practice?

ooh alright. i don't see how luck wouldn't do some drills to show he does have a good arm. i think i saw on that sports science he can throw seventy yards or so. So i mean why not practice?

So his stock doesn't drop. If you are already projected as the Top pick, you wouldn't want to go and have a bad day at the combine and suddenly be projected as the #2 or #3 QB.

From what I've read, Luck intends to fullly participate in the combine, and will also have his pro day. I wonder if this has anything to do with having an agent that's a little new to the NFL draft process?

Or....maybe his agent is savvy, and is telling Luck to bomb the combine, so the Colts don't draft him after they pay Peyton the option bonus?

Or....maybe his agent is savvy, and is telling Luck to bomb the combine, so the Colts don't draft him after they pay Peyton the option bonus?

I woulld think that if Luck and his camp didn't want him to play for the Colts they would make it known, rather than bombing at the combine, which would have financial implications.

My guess is that he really doesn't have anything to hide and expects to do well at the combine. My fear is that scouts saw prospects such as Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell at these combines and fell in love with their arm strength and potential, rather than their entire body of work in college. It lead them to make bad decisions.

I woulld think that if Luck and his camp didn't want him to play for the Colts they would make it known, rather than bombing at the combine, which would have financial implications.

My guess is that he really doesn't have anything to hide and expects to do well at the combine. My fear is that scouts saw prospects such as Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell at these combines and fell in love with their arm strength and potential, rather than their entire body of work in college. It lead them to make bad decisions.

You are probably right about Luck having nothing to hide.

I think many scouts have learned that arm strength is not the end-all for success as an NFL QB. Look at the pre-injury PM as a case in point.

I wonder if andrew Luck's performance during the combind and his pro day will have an effect on his draft status. I am assuming that it won't, however, I feel that he may really underwhelm a lot of scouts. He will not have the strongest arm at the combine, and will not be the fastest. Other quarterbacks with rocket arms will get a lot of attention, and of course RGIII wih his blazing speed and powerful arm will be who all of the scouts will be talking about during the combine. Andrew Luck will show great fundamentals, footwork and accuracy, but that's not flashy.

Could the combine and pro days have that big of an effect on scout's opinions?

http://www.sbnation....stanford-baylor

A link of when both will have their pro days.

While a QB needs to make the NFL throws, ie 15 yard out from the far has mark, I think the J. Russell experiment showed teams there is a lot more to a QB than a strong arm. IMO the hand/eye/body coordination required for accuracy cannot be taught (it can be improved over time with repetition with your receivers but it is a born trait) where as arm strength can be improved.

Plus, I remember one of the knocks on P. Manning was he didn't have the strongest arm and put too much air on the deep balls.

Most of the top QB's don't really workout(throw) at the combine because typically all they can do is hurt their status more than help it. They will usually do some testing and non throwing drills, but when you are pegged as #1 heading into it there is little reason to work out.

I could see RGIII working out trying to showcase himself if he feels he's better than Luck.

I did see where both of their on-campus pro days are set at the same time.