Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Premature roster projection

Superman

So this is super early, way premature, and isn't particularly informed as I haven't set eyes on the team, and they haven't even put on pads yet (tomorrow, finally). But I like to shoot out projections and then see how far off I was when the cutdown comes. This is loosely based on depth chart order, but once we're past the top guys at positions the order isn't really important.

Starter

Roster lock

Bubble

QB: Luck, Tolzien, Morris, Walker (I think we wind up keeping all three at cutdown, as I'm not sure Luck will be ready and I think he'll still be limited in practice this season; Walker doesn't make it, and no need for a PS QB if you carry 3 on the full roster)

RB: Gore, Turbin, Mack, Ferguson, Pope, Crossan (Ferguson did a good job on STs last year, but he has to show something on offense to make the roster)

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rogers, Aiken, Bray, Smith, Howard, Binford, Briggs, Brown, Natson (Aiken is a lock because they gave him a $1m signing bonus and a $500K salary guarantee, which isn't how I usually look at roster decisions, but that's a pretty strong indication he's sticking around; Dorsett isn't going to be cut because he also has guaranteed money on his deal, and he still has a lot of upside, but a nice trade offer could pry him from the team; Bray would need to be a standout STer)

TE: Doyle, Swoope, Krieger-Coble, Alie-Cox, Daniels, Williams (I know little about anyone outside of the top two, but Alie-Cox seems like a PS guy as he transitions to football, and Krieger-Coble is an interesting waiver claim that had some pretty good production at Iowa, a program known for producing NFL TEs)

OL: AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, Good, Banner, Schwenke, Cooper, Muir, Ugokwe, Vujnovich, Wylie, Bond, Redmond (I think the top 7 are locks, based on ending 2016 status and draft status (that doesn't mean Good or Banner can just show up and be guaranteed a spot, Ballard comes from a team that cut a 3rd round pick last year; Schwenke is on the bubble because he's still on PUP, but I think he has a good chance to make the roster based on his versatility inside, and the rest of the guys will duke it out for the last 1-2 spots, with position flexibility being a major factor)

The defense is where it really gets interesting, and I admit, I'm guessing on about half of these. 

DL: Anderson, Hankins, Ridgeway, Langford, Stewart, Woods, Parry, McGill, Hunt, Boyd (this is an interesting group, Woods will need to be a standout run stopper to make the final roster, and any uncertainty with Langford or rookie blues with Stewart helps him; I think Parry is one of the least talented DL on the roster so I expect him to be gone, but if his shows some burst and scrappiness he might stick around, McGill has some traits but I think ultimately gets outplayed, and I'm not impressed by Hunt in the least, but if he does something on ST he might force his way onto the final roster)

OLB: Sheard, Simon, Basham, Ayers, Edwards, Mingo, J. Thomas, Mount, Sickels (I think Ayers makes it, but he's not a lock; outside of the top four, who knows? Mingo has some inside/out versatility, and seemed to put some hustle on display on Sunday; also I listed Thomas as an OLB but they have him as DE, I don't know)

ILB: Jackson, Morrison, Spence, Walker, Bostic, Rhodes, George (LOL, I have no read on this position at this point; I want to make Jackson and Morrison locks, but they're mediocre holdovers from the previous regime, and everyone else is a one year pickup, outside of Walker who is a late 5th rounder (but I made him a lock because I think they really like him); they are throwing these guys on the field and looking for someone to separate themselves, and I don't think they have any real opinions before a few padded practices happen)

CB: Davis, Wilson, Hairston, Melvin, Milton, Mitchel, Morris, Blackmon (I'm not impressed with anyone outside of the top 3, I'm not a Melvin fan at all, but the others haven't earned my ire yet; another position with lots of competition, and even though Wilson and Hairston will be on the roster, they haven't locked down their spots in the rotation at all, they could be STers early, leaving playing time for other guys)

S: Butler, Hooker, Green, Farley, Graham Jr, Powell, Hightower, Williamson (plenty of comp here also, Farley seemed to be ahead of Green throughout the offseason, Green has no guaranteed money left and is a project holdover from the previous regime, and didn't have a good rookie year; I think the other guys are JAGs, but they should get plenty of reps with Hooker on a pitch count, Butler being solidified, and Geathers on PUP, so someone could make a mark, and I think they'll want five guys to start anyways, so anyone doing well on ST coverage will get a good look)

K: Vinatieri (duh)

P: Locke, Sanchez (it's Locke's job, I think Sanchez was kickoff insurance, but early word is Locke is doing fine)

LS: Hennessy (no one else on the roster, but if he has any trouble, they'll find someone else; they cut Overton, so they must be confident in Hennessy)

PUP (will not count against the 53): Geathers (already confirmed; I thought about Langford and Schwenke, but Ballard said he expects them both to be ready for the start of the season; they won't leave Luck on PUP unless there's a significant setback before he's activated)

Take away the STs spots, which are mostly locked down. I have 33 locks for the active roster, 19 on offense, 14 on defense. Sadly, some will be lost to IR at some point before the season, opening up roster spots; let's just hope it's no one mission critical. As of right now, that leaves 17 spots available for 53 players to fight over. Ballard wanted competition, this is the Hunger Games. And he is by no means done churning the roster, several players here today won't be here after the first couple preseason games. And I wouldn't be surprised if pulls off a trade for a rotation player or even starter at corner or ILB (they showed interest in Zach Orr already). 

It's gonna be fun...

Thanks for breaking this down. Obviously much will change bewtween now and cut down day, but its fun to speculate. What seems clear is that the Back 7 on defense if up for grabs except for Davis at CB. Lots of surprises potentially, especially in the defensive backfield. This will be a pre season worth watching, just to see how the LBs and DBs play. The Colts have improved their depth on D; there will be some tough cuts. 

I think you are too low on:

Rogers - Maybe not a lock, but if Bray makes it over him I'm gonna be p*ssed.

Schwenke - Primary back-up for all 3 interior positions.  On par with Haeg IMO.

Woods - With Langford hurt, I think Woods is more likely to start than to be cut.  I personally wouldnt move Hankins but the coaching staff seems to think it could work.

Bostic - Most praised ILB by the coaches, most time with the first team. I think he's basically a lock at this point.

Melvin - After Davis he's the only solid vet we have at the position.  Battling Wilson for the #2 spot and probably has the edge until Wilson has time to progress.

Williams is definitely not a lock for TE3, I agree, but I think he's at least on the bubble considering he's a good blocker and all the others are projects.

I don't see Hairston as a lock.  I think we could sneak him onto the practice squad without much issue. 

I almost wish we didnt pick Grover Stewart.  Unless he's a home run, he probably wasnt worth it.  Solely because he's a rookie who wouldnt make it to the PS, he's gonna send someone like McGill packing which is a shame.

Fully prepared to look stupid for these opinions.

31 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

What makes you say this?

He is consistently practicing with the starters and we don't have enough depth on the roster to be cutting guys who know the defense and have produced for us... regardless of personal opinion we need to be realistic. 

25 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

He is consistently practicing with the starters and we don't have enough depth on the roster to be cutting guys who know the defense and have produced for us... regardless of personal opinion we need to be realistic. 

Agreed. Even though Melvin allows catches, he does make the tackle. I believe he has made progress and will perform better, maybe even start over Quincy Wilson for the start of the season. I'd like to see Melvin opposite Wilson in the preseason to see who holds our better. It could determine who does start this year. 

Agreed. Even though Melvin allows catches, he does make the tackle. I believe he has made progress and will perform better, maybe even start over Quincy Wilson for the start of the season. I'd like to see Melvin opposite Wilson in the preseason to see who holds our better. It could determine who does start this year. 

Quincy Wilson will not sit at any point during this season. He was drafted to start. It's not like he's D'Juon Smith who came from a small school. Wilson can play. He just needs work adjusting to the NFL rules because he was grabby in college but he won't be able to get away with as much contact in the NFL.

Also Wilson was a fine tackler in college.

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quincy Wilson will not sit at any point during this season. He was drafted to start. It's not like he's D'Juon Smith who came from a small school. Wilson can play. He just needs work adjusting to the NFL rules because he was grabby in college but he won't be able to get away with as much contact in the NFL.

If he's costing us games, I expect him to ride the bench.

I think Wilson will turn into a solid NFL player, but we can't afford to have a guy on the field picking up a bunch of penalties or getting burned.  I don't think he'll do that, though that is one of is major knocks (like you say) is he tends to use his hands a lot.  We have a team that is talented enough to win the AFC South and make a playoff run, so we can't afford to be giving up costly penalties.

The good thing for Wilson is he doesn't have a ton of competition to get the #2 spot, so hopefully he adjusts to life in NFL quickly and does the best w/ this opportunity.

I also think you are too low on Rodgers.  He produced pretty well for a rookie who was a #4 WR last year.  I think he's pretty close to a lock.  

Honestly I think if they decide to carry 6 WR's on the roster it will come down to Bray and Smith. 

The other guys also have a chance but I don't know anything about them yet.  

13 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Woods - With Langford hurt, I think Woods is more likely to start than to be cut.  I personally wouldnt move Hankins but the coaching staff seems to think it could work.

Bostic - Most praised ILB by the coaches, most time with the first team. I think he's basically a lock at this point.

Melvin - After Davis he's the only solid vet we have at the position.  Battling Wilson for the #2 spot and probably has the edge until Wilson has time to progress.

I'm probably low on Rogers. His STs ability gives him a great shot to make it.

Schwenke should be all but a lock, but he's not healthy, and I don't think anyone not on the staff knows the nature or the extent of his injury.

Woods is working with the 1s so he probably makes it, but I figure they'll keep 6 at most, so something's got to give.

The coaches have praised a lot of ILBs, I don't think anyone has separated themselves. I think I read that Bostic was running with the 1s, but no pads are on yet. And he's had issues with durability, so there are lots of questions to be answered.

Melvin, IMO, isn't good. I know he got a lot of reps last year, but I don't think he should even still be on the roster. 

4 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

What has Melvin produced for us? 

17 hours ago, Superman said:

So this is super early, way premature, and isn't particularly informed as I haven't set eyes on the team, and they haven't even put on pads yet (tomorrow, finally). But I like to shoot out projections and then see how far off I was when the cutdown comes. This is loosely based on depth chart order, but once we're past the top guys at positions the order isn't really important.

Starter

Roster lock

Bubble

QB: Luck, Tolzien, Morris, Walker (I think we wind up keeping all three at cutdown, as I'm not sure Luck will be ready and I think he'll still be limited in practice this season; Walker doesn't make it, and no need for a PS QB if you carry 3 on the full roster)

RB: Gore, Turbin, Mack, Ferguson, Pope, Crossan (Ferguson did a good job on STs last year, but he has to show something on offense to make the roster)

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rogers, Aiken, Bray, Smith, Howard, Binford, Briggs, Brown, Natson (Aiken is a lock because they gave him a $1m signing bonus and a $500K salary guarantee, which isn't how I usually look at roster decisions, but that's a pretty strong indication he's sticking around; Dorsett isn't going to be cut because he also has guaranteed money on his deal, and he still has a lot of upside, but a nice trade offer could pry him from the team; Bray would need to be a standout STer)

TE: Doyle, Swoope, Krieger-Coble, Alie-Cox, Daniels, Williams (I know little about anyone outside of the top two, but Alie-Cox seems like a PS guy as he transitions to football, and Krieger-Coble is an interesting waiver claim that had some pretty good production at Iowa, a program known for producing NFL TEs)

OL: AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, Good, Banner, Schwenke, Cooper, Muir, Ugokwe, Vujnovich, Wylie, Bond, Redmond (I think the top 7 are locks, based on ending 2016 status and draft status (that doesn't mean Good or Banner can just show up and be guaranteed a spot, Ballard comes from a team that cut a 3rd round pick last year; Schwenke is on the bubble because he's still on PUP, but I think he has a good chance to make the roster based on his versatility inside, and the rest of the guys will duke it out for the last 1-2 spots, with position flexibility being a major factor)

The defense is where it really gets interesting, and I admit, I'm guessing on about half of these. 

DL: Anderson, Hankins, Ridgeway, Langford, Stewart, Woods, Parry, McGill, Hunt, Boyd (this is an interesting group, Woods will need to be a standout run stopper to make the final roster, and any uncertainty with Langford or rookie blues with Stewart helps him; I think Parry is one of the least talented DL on the roster so I expect him to be gone, but if his shows some burst and scrappiness he might stick around, McGill has some traits but I think ultimately gets outplayed, and I'm not impressed by Hunt in the least, but if he does something on ST he might force his way onto the final roster)

OLB: Sheard, Simon, Basham, Ayers, Edwards, Mingo, J. Thomas, Mount, Sickels (I think Ayers makes it, but he's not a lock; outside of the top four, who knows? Mingo has some inside/out versatility, and seemed to put some hustle on display on Sunday; also I listed Thomas as an OLB but they have him as DE, I don't know)

ILB: Jackson, Morrison, Spence, Walker, Bostic, Rhodes, George (LOL, I have no read on this position at this point; I want to make Jackson and Morrison locks, but they're mediocre holdovers from the previous regime, and everyone else is a one year pickup, outside of Walker who is a late 5th rounder (but I made him a lock because I think they really like him); they are throwing these guys on the field and looking for someone to separate themselves, and I don't think they have any real opinions before a few padded practices happen)

CB: Davis, Wilson, Hairston, Melvin, Milton, Mitchel, Morris, Blackmon (I'm not impressed with anyone outside of the top 3, I'm not a Melvin fan at all, but the others haven't earned my ire yet; another position with lots of competition, and even though Wilson and Hairston will be on the roster, they haven't locked down their spots in the rotation at all, they could be STers early, leaving playing time for other guys)

S: Butler, Hooker, Green, Farley, Graham Jr, Powell, Hightower, Williamson (plenty of comp here also, Farley seemed to be ahead of Green throughout the offseason, Green has no guaranteed money left and is a project holdover from the previous regime, and didn't have a good rookie year; I think the other guys are JAGs, but they should get plenty of reps with Hooker on a pitch count, Butler being solidified, and Geathers on PUP, so someone could make a mark, and I think they'll want five guys to start anyways, so anyone doing well on ST coverage will get a good look)

K: Vinatieri (duh)

P: Locke, Sanchez (it's Locke's job, I think Sanchez was kickoff insurance, but early word is Locke is doing fine)

LS: Hennessy (no one else on the roster, but if he has any trouble, they'll find someone else; they cut Overton, so they must be confident in Hennessy)

PUP (will not count against the 53): Geathers (already confirmed; I thought about Langford and Schwenke, but Ballard said he expects them both to be ready for the start of the season; they won't leave Luck on PUP unless there's a significant setback before he's activated)

Take away the STs spots, which are mostly locked down. I have 33 locks for the active roster, 19 on offense, 14 on defense. Sadly, some will be lost to IR at some point before the season, opening up roster spots; let's just hope it's no one mission critical. As of right now, that leaves 17 spots available for 53 players to fight over. Ballard wanted competition, this is the Hunger Games. And he is by no means done churning the roster, several players here today won't be here after the first couple preseason games. And I wouldn't be surprised if pulls off a trade for a rotation player or even starter at corner or ILB (they showed interest in Zach Orr already). 

It's gonna be fun...

Sanchez did FG kicking too so future kicker perhaps?.

I'm probably low on Rogers. His STs ability gives him a great shot to make it.

Schwenke should be all but a lock, but he's not healthy, and I don't think anyone not on the staff knows the nature or the extent of his injury.

Woods is working with the 1s so he probably makes it, but I figure they'll keep 6 at most, so something's got to give.

The coaches have praised a lot of ILBs, I don't think anyone has separated themselves. I think I read that Bostic was running with the 1s, but no pads are on yet. And he's had issues with durability, so there are lots of questions to be answered.

Melvin, IMO, isn't good. I know he got a lot of reps last year, but I don't think he should even still be on the roster. 

I know the numbers weren't crazy but Rodgers was better than Dorsett.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

What has Melvin produced for us? 

I don't understand why you are acting like Melvin was awful last year. That was definitely not the case. He didn't even have an offseason program with us and I think he played just as well as Vontae Davis as Vontae was dealing with injuries.

There is no way that Melvin gets cut for an undrafted free agent. We'll already have at least two rookies making the team.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

I don't understand why you are acting like Melvin was awful last year. That was definitely not the case. He didn't even have an offseason program with us and I think he played just as well as Vontae Davis as Vontae was dealing with injuries.

There is no way that Melvin gets cut for an undrafted free agent. We'll already have at least two rookies making the team.

Melvin was awful last year. And he has a history of being beat, even before he got here. He has the physical tools to be somewhat decent, but he hasn't done anything well except tackle. He had some good moments, but overall, if he's starting, we're deficient at corner for sure. (And there's always the chance that I'm dead wrong, or that he's much better, but I think he's a minus player. The fact that they didn't bring in more competition at corner suggests that the staff disagrees with me.)

We have three other holdovers from last year that will challenge for roster spots -- Milton, Mitchel and Morris. And early reports say Powell is playing some corner, and reasonably well. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Melvin was awful last year. And he has a history of being beat, even before he got here. He has the physical tools to be somewhat decent, but he hasn't done anything well except tackle. He had some good moments, but overall, if he's starting, we're deficient at corner for sure. (And there's always the chance that I'm dead wrong, or that he's much better, but I think he's a minus player. The fact that they didn't bring in more competition at corner suggests that the staff disagrees with me.)

We have three other holdovers from last year that will challenge for roster spots -- Milton, Mitchel and Morris. And early reports say Powell is playing some corner, and reasonably well. 

None of those guys are getting first team reps. I just feel its unrealistic to say Melvin is on the bubble. Milton, Mitchel, Morris, and Powell are challenging for roster spots. Melvin has his locked up. Like you said, the fact that the staff decided to not bring a vet in shows how much confidence they have in Melvin. As bad as you think we would be with Melvin starting at corner, it would be much much worse if one of the other four you mentioned were starting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

49 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

As bad as you think we would be with Melvin starting at corner, it would be much much worse if one of the other four you mentioned were starting.                                               

That's what I disagree with. If it's true competition and one of those other guys outplays him -- which I personally don't feel is a hard thing to do -- Melvin could wind up on the outside looking in. 

22 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I think you are too low on:

Williams is definitely not a lock for TE3, I agree, but I think he's at least on the bubble considering he's a good blocker and all the others are projects.

I don't see Hairston as a lock.  I think we could sneak him onto the practice squad without much issue. 

I almost wish we didnt pick Grover Stewart.  Unless he's a home run, he probably wasnt worth it.  Solely because he's a rookie who wouldnt make it to the PS, he's gonna send someone like McGill packing which is a shame.

Fully prepared to look stupid for these opinions.

Our opinion looks pretty good to me. 

Rogers and TJ Green are definitely not on the bubble this offseason. 

With Geathers questionable for the season, Green will probably start at some point. 

And Rogers was the second best receiver on the roster last season. Idc what anyone says. He was more reliable than dorsett in crucial situations,

And yes I think he ran better routers, created more separation, and was more clutch than Moncrief as well. 

I agree Melvin isn't very good but he is a lock for sure. Just goes to show how far the secondary is still off but will improve with experience. Rogers will be our #3 WR hands down. The battle will be #4-5 with Aiken and Dorsett. My biggest surprise is Morrison, I thought he would honestly be on the verge of being cut. And it looks like he will have a chance of starting. I thought Jackson was 100 times better than Morrison last season. And i know everyone here was so high on Spence when we signed him. 

There are going to be some tough cuts one possibly being McGill. That will be upsetting for me if so! 

I don't think Melvin is lthat bad. As was mentioned he had no off season with us. We had no pass rush etc. I think aa the 4th CB he's ok. .

I would keep an eye on what's happening in KC and else where when it comes to the D. II would. not surprised if we brought in help at CB. I have read that Gaines a starter before losing his job after a knee injury and Acker who they traded for at the start of last season both could be cuts in KC.  

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

I don't think Melvin is lthat bad. As was mentioned he had no off season with us. We had no pass rush etc. I think aa the 4th CB he's ok. .

I would keep an eye on what's happening in KC and else where when it comes to the D. II would. not surprised if we brought in help at CB. I have read that Gaines a starter before losing his job after a knee injury and Acker who they traded for at the start of last season both could be cuts in KC.  

For whatever his reasons are Superman has maintained that Melvin is awful.   To each his own I guess.   Personally I think Melvin played well overall.  Sometime better than Vontae depending on the game.   I have no problem with him being a 4th corner, or for that matter a temporary starter until Quincy is ready.  Awful is what I call those corners in Tennessee last year.   Melvin wasn't that.

Rogers and TJ Green are definitely not on the bubble this offseason. 

With Geathers questionable for the season, Green will probably start at some point. 

And Rogers was the second best receiver on the roster last season. Idc what anyone says. He was more reliable than dorsett in crucial situations,

And yes I think he ran better routers, created more separation, and was more clutch than Moncrief as well. 

Agree with Rodgers but disagree with Green. TJ is just not good at playing safety and He likely never real be. He's a shining example of someone who's a better athlete than player. He's big and fast but that won't materialize to anything more than maybe a dominant STs player. Basically he has measureables but no skill set. This is probably why Clemson moved him from WR to safety in the first place.

21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree with Rodgers but disagree with Green. TJ is just not good at playing safety and He likely never real be. He's a shining example of someone who's a better athlete than player. He's big and fast but that won't materialize to anything more than maybe a dominant STs player. Basically he has measureables but no skill set. This is probably why Clemson moved him from WR to safety in the first place.

I'm definitely not as bearish on Green as you. I've said before and I'll say again, Landon Collins was just as bad in 2015 as Green was in 2016, so writing him off after one year when we know he's green (no pun intended) doesn't make sense. 

However, he's not Ballard's pick. If he doesn't stake his claim to a roster spot during camp and preseason, I could see him being cut. They won't keep him just because he was a second rounder and he's fast and long. He has to show he can play.

On 8/1/2017 at 10:03 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I just hope he's not Brandon Browner 2.0

I am looking forward to seeing competition at all positions....sans starting QB of course.  I feel as there may be some surprising cuts on the horizon.  I am wondering if the new rule to waive the cut down to 75 and have a final 53 man cut may help with some trades?  I know they would most likely be 6th or 7th rounders but it is better than losing a player outright.

34 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I am wondering if the new rule to waive the cut down to 75 and have a final 53 man cut may help with some trades?  I know they would most likely be 6th or 7th rounders but it is better than losing a player outright.

I'm assuming it makes trades harder. There will be an extra 480 players on waivers, teams won't know the status of their claims or how much roster space they have, etc. I think trades will either be happening the day or two before the cut down, or a couple days after the cut down. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm assuming it makes trades harder. There will be an extra 480 players on waivers, teams won't know the status of their claims or how much roster space they have, etc. I think trades will either be happening the day or two before the cut down, or a couple days after the cut down. 

My thoughts as well....my guess is that there will be a last ditch effort to trade right before the deadline.

I'm definitely not as bearish on Green as you. I've said before and I'll say again, Landon Collins was just as bad in 2015 as Green was in 2016, so writing him off after one year when we know he's green (no pun intended) doesn't make sense. 

However, he's not Ballard's pick. If he doesn't stake his claim to a roster spot during camp and preseason, I could see him being cut. They won't keep him just because he was a second rounder and he's fast and long. He has to show he can play.

See my thing is I have a big problems with justification by comparison. Saying "Well Collins was bad his first year too but improved his 2nd year" is an old argument and moot point. The same excuse was made for Dorsett with Reggie Wayne being used as the exception.

The difference is Collins was a legitimate safety prospect who was good in college and gave you reason to believe he had upside. All of Green's upside was purely based on his measureables (much like Stephen Hill). He's an Al Davis kind of guy. Big and fast but can't play. Wasn't worth a 2nd. Nothing wrong with betting on potential but you can at least play the position.

If the reason to think Green will improve is because Landon Collins did and not because of his own skill set, then he's a bust

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

See my thing is I have a big problems with justification by comparison. Saying "Well Collins was bad his first year too but improved his 2nd year" is an old argument and moot point. The same excuse was made for Dorsett with Reggie Wayne being used as the exception.

The difference is Collins was a legitimate safety prospect who was good in college and gave you reason to believe he had upside. All of Green's upside was purely based on his measureables (much like Stephen Hill). He's an Al Davis kind of guy. Big and fast but can't play. Wasn't worth a 2nd. Nothing wrong with betting on potential but you can at least play the position.

If the reason to think Green will improve is because Landon Collins did and not because of his own skill set, then he's a bust

I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying it's stupid to write any player off after one year.

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Regardless I think Green will make the team on sheer need.  Geathers is hurt.  Hooker is slowly being worked back from injury and is on a pitch count.

On top of that TJ Green could excel on special teams, which if he did could secure him a spot.  At least for another year.  

On 8/2/2017 at 8:59 AM, krunk said:

For whatever his reasons are Superman has maintained that Melvin is awful.   To each his own I guess.   Personally I think Melvin played well overall.  Sometime better than Vontae depending on the game.   I have no problem with him being a 4th corner, or for that matter a temporary starter until Quincy is ready.  Awful is what I call those corners in Tennessee last year.   Melvin wasn't that.

I completely agree. I liked Melvin as a #2 guy a lot last year and then sometimes he showed some flaws but overall, he was very solid for us when nobody else was. 

Similar things could have been been said about other guys I liked from my viewpoint

1. Doyle

2. Swoope

3. Rogers

4. A. Morrison

5. Jackson

i like all of these guys and have really since seeing them. They just look like guys who will stick and be an above average player in this league with the right group around them (team concept I know). For our sake, I hope Quincy takes off for us this year but having Melvin here, I feel comfortable enough from what he has done last year to allow Quincy time to find his swagger and NFL skills.