Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Someone actually defends Peyton?

Chrisaaron1023

I think most defend Peyton. I don't know anyone who would say he's worse than a top 5 QB of all time. Even if you just mean the media, most won't talk negatively about him unless it's comparisons to Tom Brady, which I can understand. Peyton is easily one of the top 3 greatest QBs of all time, and most won't dispute that. Even the Patriot crowd has respect for Peyton for the most part.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think most defend Peyton. I don't know anyone who would say he's worse than a top 5 QB of all time. Even if you just mean the media, most won't talk negatively about him unless it's comparisons to Tom Brady, which I can understand. Peyton is easily one of the top 3 greatest QBs of all time, and most won't dispute that. Even the Patriot crowd has respect for Peyton for the most part.

To me- he IS one of the 5 best NFL qbs of all time. I love him. He's smart, nice, and the ultimate qb!   His problem, to me, is that he's only the 2nd best COLTS  qb of all time...

There's something wrong if he isn't unanimous first ballot HOF!

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

To me- he IS one of the 5 best NFL qbs of all time. I love him. He's smart, nice, and the ultimate qb!   His problem, to me, is that he's only the 2nd best COLTS  qb of all time...

I'm guessing you have Johnny Unitas ahead of him?

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing you have Johnny Unitas ahead of him?

Have to.  Without Johnny U, the Colts would be faded away!  

Peyton is MY Favorite person and NFL player. But The Golden Arm did more with less.

Brady never had to face Bill Belicheck 

Brady never won a SB with a defense ranked worse than 8th

Brady played for one of the greatest coaches of all time, his whole career.

Superbowls and NFL championships are a team accomplishment 

Two of Brady's rings were gifts. Had Carroll and Quinn keep the ball on the ground, he wouldn't even be in the GOAT discussion, outside of NE.

To quote Rodney Harrison;" Peyton used to keep me up at night before a game, trying to figure out what he was going to do. If he played for Bill Belicheck, he would have had 4,5 or 6 rings."

How many years did the Colts lose in playoffs, because of bad defense or special teams play?

To quote Bill Belicheck; " The greatest pure passer I ever saw was Bert Jones."

Tom Brady is amoung the greats. To say he is absolutely above those on that list, is to be caught up in the falicy that you judge a qb by jewelry alone. 

8 hours ago, jimmy g said:

To rank a qb above Unitas is like ranking a Prez above George Washington.  Can't be better than the Father of our Country!

But-in Peyton IS #2 best in NFL ranking!  That ain't bad....

I have Peyton #1 as Colts QB. I just think Peyton took the game to new heights but I have no problem with anyone having Unitas #1. I understand why.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Peyton #1 as Colts QB. I just think Peyton took the game to new heights but I have no problem with anyone having Unitas #1. I understand why.

Secretly, I love Peyton more. But I grew up near Baltimore, watching Johnny U win, as he was beaten senseless on every play in a different era of No Protection.  I have no choice, really.  Forgive me, please!!!!

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Secretly, I love Peyton more. But I grew up near Baltimore, watching Johnny U win, as he was beaten senseless on every play in a different era of No Protection.  I have no choice, really.  Forgive me, please!!!!

One advantage you have over me, you seen him play live so I cant debate it really well. I have seen video on Unitas and his Stats were off the charts for a player that played in the 50's and 60's. He threw for over 40,000 Yards. Back then that was unheard of. Both Peyton and Unitas are Top 5 QB's of all-time at worse IMO.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One advantage you have over me, you seen him play live so I cant debate it really well. I have seen video on Unitas and his Stats were off the charts for a player that played in the 50's and 60's. He threw for over 40,000 Yards. Back then that was unheard of. Both Peyton and Unitas are Top 5 QB's of all-time at worse IMO.

The game I remember best, WAY past their primes, was Unitas vs Namath in prob 72?  Jets won, something like 51-49 or so. Namath had to be around 400 yards, Unitas had to be over 300. Before passing was really the In Thing. Last one to have the ball wins.  Both look crippled- Neither qb could barely walk. Both were washed up,  but What a Game!!!!

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Two of Brady's rings were gifts. Had Carroll and Quinn keep the ball on the ground, he wouldn't even be in the GOAT discussion, outside of NE.

To quote Rodney Harrison;" Peyton used to keep me up at night before a game, trying to figure out what he was going to do. If he played for Bill Belicheck, he would have had 4,5 or 6 rings."

How many years did the Colts lose in playoffs, because of bad defense or special teams play?

Tom Brady is amoung the greats. To say he is absolutely above those on that list, is to be caught up in the falicy that you judge a qb by jewelry alone. 

Tom Brady played for a flawless system. Plug and play anyone and get results. But Tom Brady is forever exempt from this somehow..

Peyton man was the system..

The problem is I'm not sure I believe Shannon Sharpe here. In this type of talk show, the both of them like to take opposite sides to stir the pot. What kind of talking segment would this be if Skip says, "I hate Peyton," and Shannon says, "Yup, I agree." Shannon has to take an opposite stand here, so he does, simple.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

The problem is I'm not sure I believe Shannon Sharpe here. In this type of talk show, the both of them like to take opposite sides to stir the pot. What kind of talking segment would this be if Skip says, "I hate Peyton," and Shannon says, "Yup, I agree." Shannon has to take an opposite stand here, so he does, simple.

Yeah you never know about these talk shows because they have to have debate to make it entertaining to watch. Having said that in the past I have heard Shannon Sharpe say Peyton is the best ever, he has always said LeBron is too. Skip disagrees on both so I guess those 2 topics are by pure dumb luck when discussed.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol well you're right... buuuttt.. Peyton will you he retired a "football player" not from a team because he was/is partial to Indy

Peyton Manning is the greatest player we have ever had so you are fine, I could care less what section anything about him is put in.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One advantage you have over me, you seen him play live so I cant debate it really well. 

When I watched Peyton in a helmet, he looked like a mirror image of Unitas except bigger.  Except for Unitas's backing up dropback, to me they moved the same, walked bowlegged the same, threw the same motion, and even had similar noses.  

The only other qbs that struck me as similar, were Marino  reminding me of Namath's release.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

-Sees it's a Fox Sports video

-Sees Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless

-Closes page

I realize you're kidding 21. However, Shannon Sharpe knows Championship football. 

You don't win 3 rings by getting lucky. I really respect Shannon & I will always listen to him. 

Your closes page remark comes across as shortsighted. I'm sorry. It just does. 

I know the brunt of your joke was aimed primarily at Skip. I get it. 

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

There's something wrong if he isn't unanimous first ballot HOF!

He's definitely a lock for that prestigious honor Jimmy just on being the 1st QB to win 2 SBs for 2 different franchises alone. 

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Whoa there RMDY. Shannon is his own man. He's a straight shooter. He's not just gonna take the opposite POV just to appease Bayless. You know this. Plus, when Sharpe was on CBS Sports & the Broncos went to the SB in 2013 vs the Seahawks, #84 always raved about Manning leading his team back to greatness. Shannon knew that since Elway retired Denver wasn't viewed as a Lombardi contender again until #18 showed up & held down the reins for 4 yrs in Colorado. 

Shannon admires Peyton. It's no ratings ploy. I can promise you that. 

Also, Shannon knows how hard it is to get to 4 SBs in almost 2 decades of playing ball. That doesn't just happen out of the blue. Meticulous attention to detail is required & a ton of film study. 

24 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

He's definitely a lock for that prestigious honor Jimmy just on being the 1st QB to win 2 SBs for 2 different franchises alone. 

2 SB wins and 5 League MVP's definitely puts him Top 5 IMO. I have him Top 3. Only 11 other starting QB's have won 2 or more SB's but his 5 League MVP's separates him from the other 2 SB winning QB's. That is why he should be ranked better than Elway. Eli and Ben won 2 SB's but they will never sniff an League MVP neither did Plunkett. In the SB era only Brady(5), Montana(4), Bradshaw(4), and Aikman(3) have won more SB's as starters, but combined Peyton has just as many League MVP's. Brady has 2, Montana 2, Bradshaw 1, Aikman 0. League MVP is huge no matter how anyone wants to diminish it. It means you are basically considered the most important player in the league and the best player in the league like Shannon stated.

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

But-in Peyton IS #2 best in NFL ranking!  That ain't bad....

haha You can say that again Jimmy. Peyton's slimmest margin of victory on the field is better than most QB's best games ever played excluding SB performances. 

Peyton winning like 8-9 straight games in 2008 after his Bursa sac surgery to even make the Playoffs still impresses the hades out of me. He won't win any metals for it, but wow that just blew me away. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

haha You can say that again Jimmy. Peyton's slimmest margin of victory on the field is better than most QB's best games ever played excluding SB performances. 

Peyton winning like 8-9 straight games in 2008 after his Bursa sac surgery to even make the Playoffs still impresses the hades out of me. He won't win any metals for it, but wow that just blew me away. 

Everytime 2008 comes up all I can think of is us going 12-4 and SD going 8-8 but they got HFA and that crooked REF calling 12 Penalties on us and only 3 on SD the whole game lmao 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everytime 2008 comes up all I can think of is us going 12-4 and SD going 8-8 but they got HFA and that crooked REF calling 12 Penalties on us and only 3 on SD the whole game lmao 

That validates 18's greatness right there man. Shady zebra calling on the field & Manning still comes out on top. 

I still love when he shut up WR Keyshawn Johnson during that Tampa Bay comeback game. Whenever I see highlights from that game, I always smile. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I realize you're kidding 21. However, Shannon Sharpe knows Championship football. 

You don't win 3 rings by getting lucky. I really respect Shannon & I will always listen to him. 

Your closes page remark comes across as shortsighted. I'm sorry. It just does. 

I know the brunt of your joke was aimed primarily at Skip. I get it. 

I find both Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless to be incredibly annoying loudmouths who just say things for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I find both Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless to be incredibly annoying loudmouths who just say things for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

Actually, Stephen A Smith on ESPN is the worst. He always shouts down people whenever he's losing an argument. He knows the NBA. I will give him that, but he always annoys me when he starts his fire & brimstone rants. 

It's cool 21. You can dislike whoever you want. I just like Shannon Sharpe. He's smart, witty, & a great TE trash talker. I get a kick out of his sayings from his grandmother & other relatives growing up. I just like the guy & I wish he was my neighbor because we'd get along fantastic. 

Plus, I always like how he disarms Bayless by saying Skip in a soothing tone & then he proceeds to unravel all his arguments methodically & decisively when Skip wants to make everything Cowboy or Brady centered 24/7.  

I love when Sharpe says that Aaron Rogers is "transcendentally great" better than Brady on the move because it always ticks Skip off. It's freaking awesome! I never get tired of that either. Or when he says that Dez Bryant didn't catch that ball vs GB in the Playoffs. Skip hates that. :lol:

10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Matt Cassell never started a game in college football.  He took over the Pats when Brady was hurt and got 11 wins (3 and 1 without Brady at all).  He got signed to a few big contracts and has done nothing since then.

Peyton gets hurt and we went from a project 12-16 win team and wind up with 2 wins with guys who did a lot more in the NFL than Cassel ever did in college.

15 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Matt Cassell never started a game in college football.  He took over the Pats when Brady was hurt and got 11 wins (3 and 1 without Brady at all).  He got signed to a few big contracts and has done nothing since then.

Peyton gets hurt and we went from a project 12-16 win team and wind up with 2 wins with guys who did a lot more in the NFL than Cassel ever did in college.

Matt Cassel may have not started in college, but he's still 10 times better than Curtis Painter ever was. He also made a Pro Bowl while with the Chiefs. (Just saying...)

17 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

To be fair to Brady (sorry I have to here) the 2008 Pats played a very easy schedule (in comparison to 2007) and were pretty much still the 2007 team that seemed unstoppable for the majority of that season.

34 minutes ago, Jules said:

You can make a firm argument for Peyton being the best ever. Problem is not everyone will buy it since RINGZ RINGZ RINGZ so in that regard show them tapes of Dan Marino playing. :) 

RINGZ are important but I think if you win just 1 and produce 5 MVP's and dominate statistically you definitely have an argument to being the best ever. I think you have to at least win 1 Ring to be in the discussion for GOAT. I love Dan Marino and if I were starting a franchise and someone gave me Dan, I would be happy but not ever winning just looks bad. Same for Karl Malone in Basketball, had he won just once he would arguably be Top 5 ever. It's just part of it. Peyton won twice so he has nothing to be ashamed of, of his other failures in the Playoffs. You get that 2nd Ring it looks goofy for Peyton haters now to say, will he never wins in the Playoffs. That last Ring ended that bullcocky talk.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

RINGZ are important but I think if you win just 1 and produce 5 MVP's and dominate statistically you definitely have an argument to being the best ever. I think you have to at least win 1 Ring to be in the discussion for GOAT. I love Dan Marino and if I were starting a franchise and someone gave me Dan, I would be happy but not ever winning just looks bad. Same for Karl Malone in Basketball, had he won just once he would arguably be Top 5 ever. It's just part of it. Peyton won twice so he has nothing to be ashamed of, of his other failures in the Playoffs. You get that 2nd Ring it looks goofy for Peyton haters now to say, will he never wins in the Playoffs. That last Ring ended that bullcocky talk.

I agree that sadly I think you might need at least one ring, if Marino had just won that "one ring" we would have a better argument for him. If only they had made the SB to play the Bears in '85 since that was the only team the Bears lost to that regular season. Maybe in the big game if Miami had beaten them then Marino could have gone down with a firmer legacy.

With Tom Brady he is for sure up there too, he could be the best ever but I am hesitant to say that since there are so many great QBs and it's tough to compare different eras (just like with the NBA). But, with Brady I never felt he had the backlash or pressure Manning had since Brady got rings EARLY in his career. Kinda like Kobe Bryant. Brady got that very very early pass in his career since he won rings early on with the Patriots. ...

I kinda cringe if the Pats do win it all again next year and Brady gets #6 since 6 rings is Michael Jordan level and then there is almost no debating ever again with these things since people will just scream 6 rings.

Even with 5 rings and passing Montana, people declare Brady as officially the GOAT and yes his comebacks in both his recent SB wins were amazing to see. But also both teams (Seattle, Atlanta) messed up in EPIC ways........sigh.......

7 hours ago, GoPats said:

Matt Cassel may have not started in college, but he's still 10 times better than Curtis Painter ever was. He also made a Pro Bowl while with the Chiefs. (Just saying...)

We didn't stand a chance no matter who we had (whether it was Kerry Collins, Orvlovsky, or Painter or any one else) we went from a potential 12+ win team to being a joke.  Brady gets hurt and the Pats don't skip a whole lot of a beat, they are still considered a winning team and expect to make the playoffs. I think Painter or Orvlovsky would win at least 6 games on the Pats with Brady going down -- our whole entire team was changed losing Peyton.  The Pats are a winning team with or without Brady (likely not a SB caliber team, but they could still win games with that system regardless of who their QB is).

5 hours ago, Jules said:

To be fair to Brady (sorry I have to here) the 2008 Pats played a very easy schedule (in comparison to 2007) and were pretty much still the 2007 team that seemed unstoppable for the majority of that season.

I was talking about the 2011 Pats... regardless, when Peyton was on the Colts the team ran around him, specifically.  Any time Brady has had to miss time, whether due to suspension or injury, the Pats still count on winning and being a respectable team... the Colts without Peyton were a jerk, whereas with him we could count on winning 10+ games regardless of who else was on the roster, without Peyton they were the laughing stock of the league.

5 hours ago, Jules said:

You can make a firm argument for Peyton being the best ever. Problem is not everyone will buy it since RINGZ RINGZ RINGZ so in that regard show them tapes of Dan Marino playing. :) 

There are many mediocre to average QB's who have rings - Joe Flacco, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson....

Rings should never be the definitive argument for a quarterback. Championships are won by teams, not individual players. If Joe Flacco or Trent Dilfer have one but Dan Marino don't, it just goes to show who was playing on a better team. 

20 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

There are many mediocre to average QB's who have rings - Joe Flacco, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson....

Rings should never be the definitive argument for a quarterback. Championships are won by teams, not individual players. If Joe Flacco or Trent Dilfer have one but Dan Marino don't, it just goes to show who was playing on a better team. 

Marino smokes both I agree

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I agree that sadly I think you might need at least one ring, if Marino had just won that "one ring" we would have a better argument for him. If only they had made the SB to play the Bears in '85 since that was the only team the Bears lost to that regular season. Maybe in the big game if Miami had beaten them then Marino could have gone down with a firmer legacy.

With Tom Brady he is for sure up there too, he could be the best ever but I am hesitant to say that since there are so many great QBs and it's tough to compare different eras (just like with the NBA). But, with Brady I never felt he had the backlash or pressure Manning had since Brady got rings EARLY in his career. Kinda like Kobe Bryant. Brady got that very very early pass in his career since he won rings early on with the Patriots. ...

I kinda cringe if the Pats do win it all again next year and Brady gets #6 since 6 rings is Michael Jordan level and then there is almost no debating ever again with these things since people will just scream 6 rings.

Even with 5 rings and passing Montana, people declare Brady as officially the GOAT and yes his comebacks in both his recent SB wins were amazing to see. But also both teams (Seattle, Atlanta) messed up in EPIC ways........sigh.......

When it comes to Basketball I know how great LeBron is but when you have guys like Jordan, Magic, Kareem that are at worse equal to him, doesn't Rings need to be the deciding factor there? Just asking, something has to be. If it's MVP's than LeBron ranks 3rd behind Kareem and Jordan, he had 1 more than Magic. In Football, Peyton has 5 which is the most.